Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

treating people in ways that make them uncomfortable and justifying it with "well, I'm not breaking the law", hm, yes, this is a way for an adult to behave

again its the fault of the person who dressed themselves because they put themselves in that situation, why can't goons understand that people are responsible for their own actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

dontcareaboutname posted:

again its the fault of the person who dressed themselves because they put themselves in that situation, why can't goons understand that people are responsible for their own actions.

this is pure solipsism and i guess we're gonna have to cut a hole in your head for you to acknowledge anything outside of yourself

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

stop applying your cis norms to me.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Given that America is so fat I feel this is a good representation.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

That's not fat. That's curvy. Would.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Effectronica posted:

this is pure solipsism and i guess we're gonna have to cut a hole in your head for you to acknowledge anything outside of yourself

nothing wrong with holding adult responsible for their choices. Unless you think everyone should be treated like children.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

so naturally the nerdos at comicon should be responsible for not comporting themselves like greaseballs, imo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

paranoid randroid posted:

so naturally the nerdos at comicon should be responsible for not comporting themselves like greaseballs, imo

no see behaving like that is totally unavoidable. nerds don't possess free will, they're just black boxes where food goes in and groping comes out.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

paranoid randroid posted:

yes, but since its both groups fault they should both be faulted, and both parties should be blamed equally.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

This argument would make more sense if how you were dressed actually determined the level of harassment you received AND if this affected both men and women instead of almost exclusively women. What you're saying is women have to be responsible for how they dress because men cannot be responsible for how they act.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

nothing wrong with holding adult responsible for their choices. Unless you think everyone should be treated like children.

so people are compelled to rudeness? this is something that would cut both ways if gbs hadn't decided that tits prevent men from thinking

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
go to a place filled with people that obsess over movies and comic books and are surprised that they stare at you in your underwear in public lmbo

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

okay there's no way you actually think this, if you did you wouldn't have worded it in a way that emphasised the irony so much

Trixie Hardcore posted:

What you're saying is that the problem isn't men thinking it's okay to harass & molest women but is actually women having the audacity to be in public where men can harass & molest them. Like, if I don't want a man sticking his hand up my skirt then I shouldn't be wearing a skirt in public is your reasoning or rather, since I've been groped while being covered neck to foot in fabric I should have known better than to go in public if I wanted to have control over how I'm treated.

no he'd probably agree with you that you shouldn't be groped while fully clothed, and I'm betting he'd agree that you shouldn't have a hand put up your skirt. he thinks basically what I said, which is that he feels his rules about which rights you forfeit by wearing certain types of clothing should apply to you because ????.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

this wouldnt be a problem if the entertainment industry stopped featuring attractive female characters. then there would be no one to dress up as

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

was gonna say something mean but I guess Capt. America was already barely person shaped so whatever.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

if you are in public people can take pictures of you for any reason.

and people are free to call you a perv and shame you if you do it with out their permission. These girls (AND men) are saying they are not comfortable with having photo's taken of them without their permission. Do you think they are wrong in those feelings and they should just silently allow these unwanted photo's to be taken?

Also, since it seems you aren't ironically being a terrible person, do you think women deserve to be raped if they dress they way the rapist likes? If not, how is your line of thought different?

If you are in public, people can take pictures of you all they want. If you don't want unwanted attention in public places don't do anything that would draw attention to yourself.

At what point does a woman stop being an object?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
if you're allowed to dress skimpily why shouldn't I be allowed to stare at it? rights apply to everyone not just the group you think should get them

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Things that are ok:

-Taking a picture of someone dressed in a costume without their consent (assuming this is of course a public place like a comic con)
-Looking at someone dressed in a costume without their consent

Things that are not ok:

-Shouting inappropriate things to someone dressed in a costume without their consent
-Touching someone dressed in a costume without their consent

----

This poo poo aint hard you nerds.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
they just jealous the hotter girls getting all the attention lol

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
It specifically mentions something like sneaking a pic when a girl is bent over, stuff that is weird and rude even given the costume situation.

Is it too much to ask to just tone this poo poo down a little bit? Like maybe start with not ninja-photo shooting girls' asses? Probably.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

taking pictures of anyone without their consent is hosed up
cat-calling someone is hosed up
doesn't matter what they're wearing, or what they look like

hope this helps

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
And yet pictures of actual superheros are just fine and make copies of Daily Bugle sell like hotcakes.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

alright ladies let me tell you what the acceptable amount of sexual harassment is based on how you look

here I made a chart detailing what basic dignities and courtesies you forfeit by dressing a certain way

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

ArtIsResistance posted:

if you're allowed to dress skimpily why shouldn't I be allowed to stare at it? rights apply to everyone not just the group you think should get them

you are allowed to, idiot. It would behoove you not to be a creepy loser for various reasons though.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Trixie Hardcore posted:

This argument would make more sense if how you were dressed actually determined the level of harassment you received AND if this affected both men and women instead of almost exclusively women. What you're saying is women have to be responsible for how they dress because men cannot be responsible for how they act.

how you dress does determine your level of harassment of the way your are dress violates societal norms, and to what degree. It effects women more because they tend to actively choose sexy costumes, where that isn't appropriate.

actively violating societal norms in public has consequences.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ArtIsResistance posted:

nobody's saying that the femstapo should come by and peg people to death for leering. people are saying that you should refrain from being an rear end. if you feel that your rights are being diminished by this, grow up you infant

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
when a picture of me i didn't explicitly approve ends up on facebook, i scold my friends for being rude and insensitive to my privacy and feelings

now i don't have any friends

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

everythingWasBees posted:

you are pretty much on video at all times in any major public city

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?
I think this could all easily be avoided if we changed comic con to cat party con, and everyone paid for a cat "avatar" to be sent to the con in their place, and then observed the cats through web cams placed around the convention center doing their cat things.

e: can cats consent to this level of observation though?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Shnag posted:

and people are free to call you a perv and shame you if you do it with out their permission. These girls (AND men) are saying they are not comfortable with having photo's taken of them without their permission. Do you think they are wrong in those feelings and they should just silently allow these unwanted photo's to be taken?

Also, since it seems you aren't ironically being a terrible person, do you think women deserve to be raped if they dress they way the rapist likes? If not, how is your line of thought different?

At what point does a woman stop being an object?

again, they put themselves into a situation through their own choices that led to them being made uncomfortable, women that objectify themselves will be treated as an object, same as men.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

NotWearingPants posted:

But what if I want to grope? If I ask first she will probably say no and now she's got her guard up making it more difficult to sneak one in.

Ask her, and if she says no, continue asking other women until one says yes. Odds are good she will consider going further than just groping because she apparently finds something about you attractive. Instead of wasting time making women uncomfortable, you have now had sex. Congrats on not being a creeper who creeps on disinterested women :)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

how you dress does determine your level of harassment of the way your are dress violates societal norms, and to what degree. It effects women more because they tend to actively choose sexy costumes, where that isn't appropriate.

actively violating societal norms in public has consequences.

lol at the idea of societal norms and a loving comic convention

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

whatis posted:

when a picture of me i didn't explicitly approve ends up on facebook, i scold my friends for being rude and insensitive to my privacy and feelings

now i don't have any friends

so how often do you openly leer at people's tits on the subway? after all, you've got a right to do so!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
In my interpretation of the manga the entire reason Sailor Mars wears a skirt is because she loves it when strangers try to fingerbang her in a crowd so obviously, officer, I assumed the young woman dressed as Sailor Mars was a fan of the manga and any true fan would enjoy RPing their character.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

by dontcareaboutname's logic, I'm entitled to some serious gropage at the beach, pools, and strip clubs. God drat fascist bouncers, if she didn't want me to touch her why was she giving me a lap dance?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

cat-calling someone is hosed up
doesn't matter what they're wearing, or what they look like

hope this helps

If you're in a public space, specifically designed to display yourself, consent is implied in the picture you take. If you don't want unsolicited pictures of yourself, don't wear a costume to the costume event. And no this isn't a rape analogy.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Effectronica posted:

so how often do you openly leer at people's tits on the subway? after all, you've got a right to do so!

yes that is exactly the scenario i discussed in my post, 100%

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
this is all very gbs 1.0

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

i've dressed up as darth vader and people are taking pics of me? WTF??

*takes upskirt of ur space panties*

heheheheh sweeeeeeet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

again, they put themselves into a situation through their own choices that led to them being made uncomfortable, women that objectify themselves will be treated as an object, same as men.

And men are being made aware of how their actions make women feel unsafe and grossed out. So now, when those men continue doing the same actions over and over again, they are putting themselves into the situation of being called out as rude, gross people who don't care about making other adults uncomfortable. What's the problem?

Men who act like creeps will be treated as creeps (and this includes being publicly called out as creeps).

• Locked thread