Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sega Saturn posted:

"excuse me mr police officer can i take a picture of you beating this black man? no? okay id hate to be rude"

only racists shame creeps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I was raped by a Samsung Galaxy S5 today.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

how hard really is it to say something like "hey awesome smurfette costume! picture?" and then when she nods you hold up your phone and then just zoom in on the tittys? everybodys happy this way i think

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
Reminder that sociopathy is pretty common and that there is no mechanism in place at the Something Awful Forums to filter them out

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

some webpage about California law posted:

Subsection (j) of Penal Code 647 PC is California's criminal invasion of privacy law. It is a complex law, full of nuances and technicalities. In simple terms, however, you violate it when you:

Use a device such as a telescope or binoculars to invade a person's privacy

Secretly photograph or record a person's body under or through his or her clothing for the purpose of sexual arousal or gratification
Secretly record or photograph another person in a private room in order to view that person's body or undergarments.

Penalties for Violation of Penal Code 647 (i) or (j)

Peeking while loitering and invasion of privacy both fall under the general umbrella of  California disorderly conduct.   As such, they are misdemeanors, punishable by:

up to six (6) months in county jail, and/or a fine of up to $1,000.

so why aren't they getting the law involved to prosecute this poo poo?

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Sega Saturn posted:

there's nothing wrong with laws banning upskirts and poo poo but some of you are legit arguing that public photography should be illegal

If someone takes your picture specifically and keeps doing it after you request not to have your photo taken, you can report them for harassment. What's so wrong about asking to take someone's picture? Stop pretending you're TMZ and be a decent human being when it comes to photography.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Sega Saturn posted:

so why aren't they getting the law involved to prosecute this poo poo?

its mostly a waste of the court's time and can be hard to prove.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FrostedButts posted:

If someone takes your picture specifically and keeps doing it after you request not to have your photo taken, you can report them for harassment. What's so wrong about asking to take someone's picture? Stop pretending you're TMZ and be a decent human being when it comes to photography.

if i'm not allowed to take snaps of wonder woman's rear end from across a crowded room that's EXACTLY like being in favor of the CCTV police state !!!

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
Literally nobody is upset about being photographed in a normal, "cataloging all the cool costumes" way, nor "showing up in the background of someone else's photo"

They don't want eerie maladjusted motherfuckers surreptitiously snapping photos of their rear end

If you are pretending they're making the first argument, you're making up bullshit to fit a preconceived notion that anytime women object to men's actions, there Must be something unreasonable about their objections

You are probably the motherfucker in the equation

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Exactly it allows a person to decide- based upon the attractiveness or status of the photographer- who can take their photo. They want alpha high status males to objectify them, not beta neckbeards. So what do the neckbeards do? "It's the law! You have no expectation of privacy in public!" And they are right.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm just trying to peep some fine rear end tittays

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSJ0DQ2NFI8

just a reminder that this is what repressed male sexuality looks like, if you think being a non creeper for these virg's is easy.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I've got my costume ready for the next con, I'm gender-swapped Lady Godiva, anyone who lays eyes upon me will be struck blind or otherwise punished harshly

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
stupid sexy gundams

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

EA Sports posted:

just a reminder that this is what repressed male sexuality looks like, if you think being a non creeper for these virg's is easy.

Those are some bad dancers.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

well at least it only getting photos taken. considering nfl players can get away with publicly raping people and beating their girlfriends unconscious, it could be a whole lot worse

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
we should hold international comic con in india next year.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Exactly it allows a person to decide- based upon the attractiveness or status of the photographer- who can take their photo. They want alpha high status males to objectify them, not beta neckbeards. So what do the neckbeards do? "It's the law! You have no expectation of privacy in public!" And they are right.
I've seen plenty of ugly guys take photos of women at cons without making anyone feel uncomfortable

I've also seen handsome guys at cons badmouthed by women for being entitled assholes towards women

It's not a looks thing, it's an intuitive social vibe thing which might be difficult to explain to the type of person who apparently believes in the ladder theory or whatever you're talking about

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ave Azaria posted:

Literally nobody is upset about being photographed in a normal, "cataloging all the cool costumes" way, nor "showing up in the background of someone else's photo"

They don't want eerie maladjusted motherfuckers surreptitiously snapping photos of their rear end

yeah but nobody who doesn't already agree is going to acknowledge this fact because it would disrupt the entire flow of the thread

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Ave Azaria posted:

If you are pretending they're making the first argument, you're making up bullshit to fit a preconceived notion that anytime women object to men's actions, there Must be something unreasonable about their objections

You are probably the motherfucker in the equation

this depends are they essentially bare assed in a thong?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

EA Sports posted:

drat, all we got at my high school was a former pageant queen who talked to us about abstinence

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

As a good looking male myself, I would be offended if that manatee dressed like Sailor Moon didn't let me take a creep shot of her gunt.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
its not just the poor women being objectified either!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

dontcareaboutname posted:

this depends are they essentially bare assed in a thong?

dont zoom in on their butthole

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Ave Azaria posted:

I've seen plenty of ugly guys take photos of women at cons without making anyone feel uncomfortable

I've also seen handsome guys at cons badmouthed by women for being entitled assholes towards women

It's not a looks thing, it's an intuitive social vibe thing which might be difficult to explain to the type of person who apparently believes in the ladder theory or whatever you're talking about

It's this crazy theory where high status alphas can get away with whatever the gently caress they want:

icantfindaname posted:

well at least it only getting photos taken. considering nfl players can get away with publicly raping people and beating their girlfriends unconscious, it could be a whole lot worse

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

icantfindaname posted:

in a thread full of :goonsay: this might be the :goonsay: est

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

They'd probably take the NFL player route for their actions.

Q: What do you have to say about the incident when that Sailor Moon cosplayer called the cops on you for shooting up her skirt six times after she said no?

A: Look, I don't recall all of that event as I was heavily involved with taking pictures. The word 'no' may have been used at some point, but I'm pretty sure she was referring to someone else. Besides those pictures weren't even of her, but a cosplayer in front of her. She was in the way and the only decent shot I could get was from under her skirt. Also I'd like this interview to focus more on my great shots of a Joker/Harley couple and a Homestuck group.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah but nobody who doesn't already agree is going to acknowledge this fact because it would disrupt the entire flow of the thread

i agree with this and no i will not acknowledge it

there really were people on the first two pages saying you should ask every cosplayer you take a photograph of in any way for express permission, despite the rules and guidelines of the entire convention. there is some "ironic" veiled misogyny going on in this thread though, no doubt about that

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

whatis posted:

there really were people on the first two pages saying you should ask every cosplayer you take a photograph of in any way for express permission, despite the rules and guidelines of the entire convention.

yeah this was basically my issue as also

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
men like women news at 5.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

whatis posted:

i agree with this and no i will not acknowledge it

there really were people on the first two pages saying you should ask every cosplayer you take a photograph of in any way for express permission, despite the rules and guidelines of the entire convention. there is some "ironic" veiled misogyny going on in this thread though, no doubt about that

It's really not a bad rule of thumb. If you're walking around taking pictures, saying "Mind if I grab a photo?" pretty much always works just fine and helps keep the environment from getting weird and impersonal.

There are other times a particularly good cosplayer poses for someone's photo, and a crowd forms around them snapping photos without asking, which can be annoying but mostly for traffic flow reasons

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
dress like superman walk up to women stare at chest and go "wow those are really are nice" because he has x-ray vision and they know you are visually undressing them.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

this poo poo sucks, someone plz post pictures of cosplay boobs and/or moobs, tia

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
Romes
Jun 18, 2003

Naerasa posted:

Much like how Chris Rock solved the question of racism with his famous Niggers vs. Black People, Dave Chapelle has already explained that women cannot be surprised to be treated like whores when they are seen in a whores uniform.

Did these people not get that memo?

dontcareaboutname posted:

men like women news at 5.

My two favorite replies to the thread thus far. I think the surroundings of the scenario need to be taken more in to account here. This isn't women in general public. These women are electing to dress showing skin and electing to go to a convention where it's quite popular for 90% of the neckbeards there to fantasize about the characters they're choosing to portray.

My personal opinion is that of the limited amounts of females that went to Comic-Con, 90% of them were doing it to get attention... but they wanted 'nice' attention from non-creepy nerds. Sorry, you're at Comic-Con, what did you expect?

Greg Giraldo also explained this quite well in his "Cleavage is not a smart bomb":

quote:

This friend of mine told me, 'Yeah, I dress this way to attract a guy, but I want to attract the right guy. I don't want to attract every slob on the street.' That's how cleavage works. It's not a smart bomb. It's not a laser-guided weapon. You might hit your target; there's also going to be a lot of collateral damage. You might hit the guy in the Porsche. You're also going to hit the guy with one tooth driving by on the bus

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
greg giraldo is dead and is never going to come back

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Idiot Syncratic posted:

this poo poo sucks, someone plz post pictures of cosplay boobs and/or moobs, tia

Sega Saturn posted:

its not just the poor women being objectified either!

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Romes posted:

My personal opinion is that of the limited amounts of females that went to Comic-Con, 90% of them were doing it to get attention... but they wanted 'nice' attention from non-creepy nerds. Sorry, you're at Comic-Con, what did you expect?

im gonna say something that might shock you, but most of the women who go to conventions are there for the convention

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Idiot Syncratic posted:

http://comicsalliance.com/cosplay-comic-con-san-diego-2014-part-three-gallery/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Ave Azaria posted:

It's really not a bad rule of thumb. If you're walking around taking pictures, saying "Mind if I grab a photo?" pretty much always works just fine and helps keep the environment from getting weird and impersonal.

There are other times a particularly good cosplayer poses for someone's photo, and a crowd forms around them snapping photos without asking, which can be annoying but mostly for traffic flow reasons

This, basically. So many posters here are being especially disingenuous about this. Just think about the situation like a rational adult human being and stop getting mad at imaginary slights and imperfections in other people's arguments you autistic nerds.

• Locked thread