Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Taretax

Fish are simple creatures, or at least most of them are. Their desires tend not to extend past 'the will to survive', if one could even call that a desire, the fact of the matter is, most fish only want two things: life, and sometimes the life of their progeny; it is this second desire that Taretax wishes to bring to surface. He attempts to tear through the animalistic fear coarsing through the shoal of fish and bring forth their secondary desire to mate; he waves his hands around his person, swirling circularly, almost dancing in the water in an attempt to create an enticing spot for these fish to have their children, regardless of their wellbeing. At the same time, he does not move his eyes off his prize and readies his spear.

So, my plan is to get the fish interested in the waters immediately surrounding by making it seem like a decent mating spot, simultaneously changing their will to survive into a will to procreate. Hopefully enough fish will come over to me to also encourage the larger fish, once the large fish is in range, I will stab it.
Using 17 Encourage Fertility to encourage the shoal, then 7W Life as a Fisherman to stab the bigger fish if my spell succeeds and it comes my way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

"The Knower."

Her fingers drum out a tattoo against the wall as she thinks.

"That one, I am uncertain of his power. I do not know what grimoires he has studied. And he has that horali following him. But perhaps, in his sleep, or in the dark, he could be undone."

"That one did not seem to like me much, or indeed anyone. If he has a secret reason for coming to the island, he hides it well. He appears to be afflicted by that most horrible disease that often leads to the doom of folk, the one we call 'piety'. Such men either become very foolish or very dangerous in their time. Sometimes both."

"I believe it when the Knower says that he wants to guide Giraine towards the faith. He is a Rokari, though. And I do not like that the blueskin has taken an interest in him."

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Dagram
Hero Points: 3

"Suits me just fine," Dagram says cheerily. "Had enough nervous bowin' and scraping for a lifetime. Gonna' take more'n a bit of extra coin to get me back among that lot of wizards an' lords. Half expected the blue one to try an' set the lot of us ablaze a couple times there." He yawns loudly. "Now, 'less you've a problem with it, think I'll get myself acquainted with the boat before we shove off."

Dagram starts over to the grain laden boat. While not as large as he's accustomed to, the coastal vessel has a sort of pleasant familiarity about it. He'd boarded a fair few like it before after all. Dispelling the daydreams he sets about searching the boat over briefly. If the frogs were the sort to attack the boat directly, Dagram at least wanted an idea of where he'd try to do it in their place.

Corsair 4W to Scope out trouble spots on the boat. Paying special attention to anywhere a boarder could get on deck without being seen.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012

Jenx posted:

As Midos rushes off to do as instructed, Neleos walks into his own room, and turns towards the waiting Adelbrand. "Now then, I understand you wished to discuss something with me?"

"Your understanding is correct," Adelbrand nods slowly, as he regards the Brithini. He dearly wishes, of course, to discuss their future cooperation. But there is a more urgent issue that Neleos needs to be made aware of first...

"I have overheard your conversation with the talar's wife," Adelbrand says, only a little apologetically. "You must know that she was not wholly honest with when she said that her other children died at birth. I do not know her motives for lying or what has become of them in truth. However, she either misspoke or deliberately misled you in that matter."

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Luc

Luc makes the sign of the Law rune and bows to Danno -- as deeply as is appropriate for a Pithdaran zzaburi to a dronar -- saying "And I bow to the divinity within you." He taps out the embers from his pipe into his palm to as not to damage the clay, deposits them onto a plate with the remains of breakfast, gathers his things and motions for Halifor to follow. "Danno, I would like to know more about your people."

Talmakos finds them heading out. Luc greets him and says "Of course you may join us. I would be glad for your company."

"Now, Ronalio said something about a 'conveyance' ..." he says more to himself than anyone else as he heads outside.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Neleos

A ridge appears on Neleos' forehead as he frowns.

"We will deal with your eavesdropping later. You say she has concealed the truth from me, then? In what manner? What has happened to her other children?"

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Adelbrand shakes his head slowly.

"I did not eavesdrop. I merely heard what you were saying, as you did not speak in privacy," he insists. "As to the details, as I said, I do not know them. I only know that she was definitely lying," the Knower says with great conviction. "I am not wrong about such things."

"Perhaps they simply died later or from another cause, or perhaps they live but are hidden, or are somewhere else. I do not know that. You may want to ask her - or her husband, or her servants. But something is certainly amiss here, particularly as I cannot see any obvious reason why she might try to deceive you in this matter."

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Neleos

"I see...and you could detect this deception?" Neleos stops and thinks, his mind racing. He might be dangerous. Who knows what he might expose about me! "Regardless" he finally continues "I will deal with her in due time. There is no need to seek confrontation when you are not sure what you are up against." He looks at Adelbrand for a while, then continues. "You expressed desire to help me with my mission - I will give you the opportunity to do that. I will be leaving when this rain ceases. If you are interested in aiding me, you will come with me and my apprentice, as I survey the island."

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Pausing, Adelbrand considers the Brithini's words.

"That is an inborn talent of mine," he finally says. "As for your proposal, my duty requires that I go to New Avronwal first and without further delay, to speak to the Watcher of this island. I shall gladly join you once I return, which should not take too long. Or else if you are willing to travel in that direction first, I can wait for the rain to end," he offers after some more thought.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Neleos

"It is as good of a place to start as any other, though I would not be subjecting myself and my apprentice to the blatant falsehood that spreads around these towns."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Davos

While the bustle is going on in the rest of the estate, Davos lingers over his meal, deep in though at the things he's learned, and both the opportunities and risks he can see, although he knows that the greatest opportunities and often, the greatest risks, are those that are hidden, and that the wise man discovers them before it is too late.

Finally, his breakfast finished, he stands up. Gesturing over a senior servant, he says, "Tell your master that I go back to my ship to bring its cargo up for his review and the review of his steward. This household shall have first pick of my wares, as soon as he has time to look at them. Also, please inform your mistress, the Lady Isobel, that I would like to speak with her if she so desires."

At that, he leaves, and walking out of the palace, leaves the town proper and goes to the docks. When he gets there, he climbs aboard, happy that, for at least a little while, he has a ship's deck under his feet, and tells his mate, "Have the crew unload the cargo and get it moved to the Baron's palace. We're giving his household first pick of goods."

advokat
Nov 17, 2012

Jenx posted:

Neleos

"It is as good of a place to start as any other, though I would not be subjecting myself and my apprentice to the blatant falsehood that spreads around these towns."

Adelbrand somehow subdues his natural desire to get into an argument about theology for a moment, and simply nods. "That is acceptable. Then I will tell our host that I will wait for the rain to pass, then leave with you."

Assuming there is nothing else, as the conversation has rather exhausted itself for now, the eye of Theoblanc heads to inform Ronalio of this slight change of plans.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Neleos

Neleos waits for Adelbrand to leave, and then soon after that leaves himself, to go find his apprentice.

After finding the boy, Neleos heads outside. "Follow me, Midos. Your first lesson begins right now." Without much else he leads Midos towards the temple on the other side of the town.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Luc and Talmakos
Danno mutters slightly before speaking clearly. "I dunno, uh, sir? Not much t'tell, we've lived here since the land and seas went mad, before you newskins arrived, and before wizards returned t'Giraine. They don't stay long when they go up t'mire, but the Ek'zites up at the temple, they've not been too bad."

Awaiting Luc at the north gate of Tholos is a small wagon, with a canvas roof to protect him from the rain.
While presumably being used for other purposes when wizards are not around, it is at least a serviceable vehicle for them to travel in. Attached to it is a horse, while not as fine or as large as the one Talmakos is riding upon when he joins Luc, it is still a noble black steed, and presumably one of Ronalio's personal horses.

With that, you set out north, Talmakos first on Trymir, looking for the safest and least muddy sections, to avoid getting the wagon bogged down.

Talmakos uses Trymir 2W against a low difficulty. 17 vs 5, Marginal defeat.

Unfortunately, despite his efforts, Trymir ends up getting stuck at one point, hurting a rear leg when pulling it out of the sucking puddle. While not too serious, it does slow the journey down somewhat.

Trymir is Hurt. Talmakos has a -3 penalty when using Trymir for various tasks until the Hurt is healed.

Dagram
"Got no problem with that, and gotta agree about wizards. Ol' Rubert's all the magic I need, and even he's a right bastard when he's mean."

Dagram uses Corsair 4W against a very low difficulty. 7 vs 11. Minor Success.

Fortunately, from your investigations it seems the boat is easily defensible. While enemies could board across the fence, and you've done so in the past, you doubt these frogmen have any vessels, and it's much harder to board a boat like this from the water itself.

Zarasha and Isobel
"I do not wish him to be undone, at least, not if he does not threaten Tholos. Even if he is Rokari. Many of the League are of that faith as well, even if they do not follow Theoblanc or that ridiculous obese puppet of his."

"This is in fact what I wish you to discover about the man. While faith can be a dangerous weapon, I would know if he follows it truthfully, or is another puppet of the Supreme Watcher of Tanisor."

Adelbrand
Ronalio is surprised by Adelbrand's news. "You're both heading to New Arvonwal? I will ensure your protection as best I can." He calls for another three soldiers to go with the three he was assigning to your protection. Along with Guilliam, it seems you'll be well protected against anything the natives can throw at you.
It seems Ronalio has realised that if Neleos goes, then Midos does so as well.

Neleos
The temple is silent at this time of day. Few people come here on Wildday as well, so Neleos and Midos have it all to themselves.
Still, the lamps have been lit, and anyone of faith would feel calmed by the atmosphere and incense.

Neleos, as is proper, feels nothing.

Taretax
With a few hand gestures and bubbling words, Taretax turns death into life, making the escaping shoal forget the rampaging predator, and focus on joining together in a frenzy of fertility.

Taretax uses Life as a Fisherman, with a minor augment from Encourage Fertility for 13W, against a high difficulty. 10 vs 14. Minor Victory.

The monstrous fish doesn't seem to notice or care about the reversal of its fortunes, and starts to gorge itself upon the shoal. It doesn't even notice Taretax until his spear pierces the softer parts of its hide, away from its fanged mouth.

Once its blood hits the water, the fish goes berserk. This at least is familar to Taretax, as he has faced many sharks who have frenzied at their wounding. From here, the battle becomes one of endurance, as the fish attempts to feast upon its newfound enemy, and the fisherman attempts to stay out of its jaws.

A half hour later, lungs burning from exhaustion, Taretax emerges at the docks, carrying the remains of the fish, its blood seeping into the waters, and slicking his body as he pulls it onto the land.

The other fishermen are aghast at this monstrosity. Mutters of "demon" and "krjalki" can be heard, before Rubert is brought out to investigate. He lays his hands upon the fish, seeming to care more about how it feels than how it looks.

Finally he proclaims "This man has done us a great deed in slaying this monster. It is clearly not of these waters, but neither is it a demon. It is blood and bone, and a natural, if horrific creature. But if it had lived, we would all be in grave danger. Let us praise our brother, for saving us all."

The docks erupt in cheers as the fishermen welcome Taretax as one of their own.

Taretax recieves a +3 bonus when dealing with the fishermen of Giraine

Daros
Overseeing the disembarkation of his goods, Daros sees the spectacle of the local fisherman clustering around Taretax, carrying the most remarkable breed of fish he's ever seen. Almost as big as a man and twice as ugly as a Tanisorian water buffalo.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Neleos

As they arrive at the temple, Neleos looks around to see if anyone is present. When the place is revealed empty, he makes a few gestures and mumbles some words. "Caution, Midos, is one of the most important qualities in a Zzaburi. We do not rush headlong into anything, else the results might not be favorable."

Neleos uses his Neutralize Magic spell to cancel any possible spells that might have been cast on and inside the temple, augmenting it with his Caste: Wizard keyword to help him focus.

"Now tell me, child, what do you see before you?"

Jenx fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 24, 2014

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Daros

Daros, seeing that the unloading of the goods is going well, walks over to the knot of fishermen. "Fellows!", he says, "Tell me, what sort of beast is that? I've been sailing these seas for years, and never seen a fish as big or as ugly as that."

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

"Oh, excellent. That one leaves for New Arvonwal, does he not? I can't wait to see if I shall drown in mud or be murdered by spear-chucking natives en route."

"What can you tell me about that place? Is it a bit more lively than this burg? Do you have any people there?"

Down With People fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 25, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Talmakos

With the rain coming down on him, Talmakos begins to question the wisdom of only bringing a waterproof poncho. His mood is not improved by Trymir's injury. Getting out of the saddle, he whispers quietly to the beast, and then examines the leg. Using the magic of Gerlant, he tries to heal the wound before it gets worse.

Heal Steed at W1, watch me screw this one up as well! :argh:

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Luc

Luc watches with concern as Talmakos tends to Trymir. "Is your beast badly injured?"

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Talmakos and Luc

Talmakos uses Heal Steed at 1W, against a very easy difficulty. 3 vs 13. Minor Victory.

Talmakos dismounts from Trymir, to check the injury. Fortunately it is not too bad, but wanting to avoid things getting worse, he recalls the time Gerlant needed to heal his own steed. Following the formula set out in the Flamesword book, he calls upon the horses' internal fire to flare up, warming and healing Trymir's sprain until the horse is once again back to normal.

With his horse healed, they once again make good time. The rain finally begins to halt as the clouds clear, and the late morning sun approaches the heights of the sky dome.

After a while Luc, Talmakos and their guide arrive at the Ekozite temple, which has seen better days.

Zarasha and Isobel
"I have some people in New Arvonwal. Not that I have managed to speak with them in a while. What they have told me makes me think the village is about as lively as a tomb. It's the problem when the Knowers try to run things."

Daros and Taretax
The celebrations do not even die down when the noble arrives, although with his question they become slightly more subdued.

"Weeell, I ain't seen anything exactly like this, but I'd bet an entire day's catch that it's from the Black Trench on the other side of Giraine." says one of the fishermen, while others nod in agreement. "Occasionally we get some strange things swim up from there, although we don't fish that way too often. Pasos and the Kingdom tend to view it as theirs."

Neleos and Midos

Neleos uses Neutralize Magic, with a minor augment from Wizard for 14W, against a Very Hard difficulty. 12 vs 9. Neleos receives a Minor Success. Neleos spends a Hero Point, boosting it to a Major Success.

Neleos clears his mind of all distractions, ignores the incense, blocks out the light of the torches and sees only by the light of logic.
Here he can see the enchantments of the Reader, woven inexpertly, but still interconnected and reinforcing each other.
Calling upon his connection to the Law and Magic Runes, he begins neutralizing the mistaken logic of the Navigationalist, removing the supporting spells and cantrips, suppressing the calls to the original runes. It is not an easy task, but to a proper Zzaburi? It is still possible.

Finally the last fragments of the Navigationalist enchantments fade from existence, and the atmosphere of sanctity is gone.

Midos carefully examines the temple. "Something has changed. I... I don't know what. It is like when you have been seated in the warmth, but then a cold wind blows in and removes it?"

Neleos gains a lingering benefit of +6 against magic from the inhabitants of Tholos.

Tindalos fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 25, 2014

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Taretax

Collapsing to the ground next to the fish, Taretax lies staring at the sky, heaving his chest heavily while the other fisherman recoil perhaps this wasn't the best way to introduce myself to this community he thinks. He continues lying there until he senses movement around his person, he turns his head to see Rubert examining his catch carefully; when the Reader proclaims and endorses Taretax's feat, the worn-out fisherman grins a stupid grin, rolls himself over and slowly picks himself up, raising his arm to give a wave to the cheering fishermen- his new comrades, hopefully. He shakes hands, gets clapped on the back and is even embraced by those who don't seem to mind the blood, it seems like Rubert's fantastic endorsement has made him somewhat of a local celebrity and Taretax is happy for the love he's given- whether the Reader's tale was tall or absolute fact doesn't matter at all.

He makes his way over to a large rock on the beach and takes off his bloody loincloth, thinking to take advantage of the current downpour. He presses it against the stone repeatedly and wrings it of all the salt water and blood that he can, thankfully the blood washes out- it's still fresh after all. Now at least looking fairly presentable considering the circumstances, he makes his way back to the docks where he spies the Noble Daros making awkward inquiries about the fish he's just caught. "Caught bonny thing in ravine not far from here" he says, hoping that by stating that it was his catch, the man wouldn't make demands upon the other fishermen "Aye, should make good meal for a few families I'd say", hopefully the man wouldn't demand it for his supper.

Chatrapati fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 26, 2014

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Neleos

Neleos nods. "That is not a cold you feel, child, for the warmth was never there." Neleos wave his hand as a general gesture towards the temple. "This place, this is like alcohol - people who have consumed it claim it makes them feel warm and pleasant, but those feelings are nothing more than your mind and soul being confused and blinded. What you had probably felt when you have come here before is the same - it's nothing more than an illusion, set here by people who do not understand the Truth of the world, and so use their magic so that others would not be able to see it themselves."

He looks Midos in the eyes. "Midos, our duty as Zzaburi is to be sure this does not happen, to be sure that people's minds are clear and follow Logic and Truth. This building is a symbol of what is wrong with the way of your people. I am an outsider to them, so they will reject me...but you, you are one of them. Tragic as it is, people will listen to the Truth only when it comes from the mouth of a familiar person."

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Talmakos

Getting to the Ekozite Temple, Talmakos dismounts and greets the nearest member of the temple. "Hail. I am Talmakos Tragonid, seeking the old lands of my forefathers. I have some idea of where to go, but if any of you might know of a guide I might take for a day, I should be very grateful for the help."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Daros

"Beautiful! I offer admiration to you for making that catch! I'd buy it from you if I can. Tell me, what price would you like for it? I'm sure we can come to a reasonable price."

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

"Joyous. Give me their names and their faces, in case I require aid while I'm there. If you don't hear from me soon, perhaps send someone to recover my corpse from whatever ditch it winds up in. Will there be anything else?"

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Luc

Luc carefully climbs down from the wagon, signalling for Halifor to follow him. He looks over the temple, saddened to see signs of neglect. He enters the temple, looking for someone in authority, judging by garb, age and bearing. He bows, making the sign of the Law rune.

"I bow to the divine within you. I am Luc of Pithdaros, zzaburi of the Ekozite School. I am here to learn what I may of and from this place, and to offer assistance should you require any."

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Taretax

Taretax wasn't expecting a trade for the fish certainly, being far too used to Nobles simply taking what they want by manipulating the law. "A trade then" he says tentatively "fish weren't easy t' catch, ain't common neither Reader Rubert reckons... If tha'd get Builder's Guild t' build us new guildhouse I'd give thee fish. And if I don't get brayed by ne blues, I'd prepare t' beast too"

Chatrapati fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 26, 2014

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Luc and Talmakos

Upon entering the temple, the pair are surprised to see a number of worker castes in frantic discussion with the adepts of the school. They hush immediately when they see the two newcomers, and one of the adepts leaves hurriedly.

Within moments he returns, and with him comes another wizard, this one in rune inscribed robes and elevated shoes, obviously he is the most high ranked among the Ekozites.

After hearing their introductions, he brushes a strand of his thinning hair from his pallid, clammy flesh. "I bow to the divine within you both. I am Magus Usculus of the Ekozites. I am positively overjoyed to have another member of our order here upon Giraine." Despite saying this, he shows little emotion on his face but exhaustion as he bows towards Luc. "Perhaps we can assist each other in uncovering the divine mysteries of creation."

Usculus barely appears to notice Talmakos for a second before his bloodshot eyes focus upon the Man-of-All. "I give greetings to you noble. A guide... a guide..." he gestures at the assembled workers in the hall. "Surely one of these... people would be satisfactory to your search."

Dagram
Soon after the fishing vessel sets sail, the sky begins to clear.
"A good omen," says the captain. "Maybe they'll have something good when we get to Mudlarket."
Not long after that, the docks of Tholos fade from sight and what little civilization exists on the island fades along with it.
"Of course, we've got a couple of stops to make first", reminds one of the others. "Toadhaven to visit the shrine, and of course New Arvonwal." The captain glares at him slightly before turning to Dagram.
"Well Sir, you would have discovered it sooner or later, but we're making a few detours on our journey. Toad'aven's for safety. New Arvonwal's just for a bit of charity." he grins as he pulls off a hide amongst the cargo, revealing yet more grain. "The folks in Arvonwal don't have access to the best farmland. So we send them some grain. For a bit of extra coin, you see?"

Isobel and Zarasha
"You plan on visiting with Adelbrand? Excellent, I would do well to hear what news has gone on there. My contact there is Lorenz. He is a Pithdaran, like yourself and Ronalio, and works as a trader at the docks. Give him this," she hands Zarasha a small lotus flower made of copper. "It will let him know you are one of us."

Tindalos fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 27, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Talmakos

Bowing to the Magus, Talmakos heads towards the gaggle of workers. Usually the brusque response of the Zzaburi would be something of an insult, but Talmakos can tell the man has some pressing issues of his own to deal with. He's just glad the man didn't decided to stonewall him out of spite. "Hail, Dronars. I am known as Talmakos, a new arrival to this island. I seek a guide, someone knowledgeable of the lands to the north of this temple. I am looking for a manse by the old name of Nether Ripon, said to be near the site of lost Rifton." Calling upon his old experiences in the Dronar caste to tailor his request to the men, Talmakos speaks to them as a Talar, but knowing of the hand-to-mouth existence many men live. "Should any man come with me, he shall be justly rewarded according to his work."

Hoping to convince a farmer or two to help me out and find the place. Family Lands in Giraine 15 with Man-of-All 18

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Daros

Daros tries to understand the man's accent, and isn't quite sure he succeeds. At least, he hopes he misunderstands. "You want a new building in exchange for the fish? My good man, it's a fish. Admittedly, an uncommonly large and ugly fish, but still just a fish. Don't let your greed get in the way of your common sense. If you price it too high, I won't buy it, and then what will you do with it? Eat it? A fish that horrible looking is no doubt poisonous."

Then he smiles. "Oh, why not, I'm in a good mood. I'll speak to the builder's good for you, see what I can do,"

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Dagram

Dagram barks a laugh as the captain shows off his larcenous side. "Well ya' ain't gotta' worry any," he says easily. "Job was to break any dumb bastard that comes looking for a fight, ain't heard a word about playin' taskmaster. Though New Arvonwal you say? Seem to recall Ronalio and the wizards mentioning something that. That kinda' chatter was above my like, but it gives me a shiver all the same. Ain't a wise man that meddles with anythin' that'd interest those sorts."

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Luc

"Perhaps we can."

Luc glances at the recently frantic, now hushed workers. "Have I come at a bad time? I've been on a wagon for hours, so perhaps I could stretch my legs and, if you'll permit, walk around the temple. We could talk later, at your convenience." Luc rests one hand atop Halifor's head, looking down at him to see if anything has made him uneasy.

Halifor's Keen Senses are at 18.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Taretax

"T'ain't greed to expect more than shack for this many Workers... And I'd eat this beauty, and a dozen more like 'em" Taretax says obstinately, "I ain't catchin' monsters tha cannot eat".

With the help of another Dromali, Taretax heaves the beast onto a wheelbarrow and wheels the creature up to Daros "Does th' have servants t' carry fish to thy manor?"

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Neleos and Midos
"So, you seek to rid them of falsehoods, using me as a vessel? Would they listen to me? I'm a child, I haven't even been initiated yet, and isn't telling them what to do what my father's for?" he stumbles over his words a little. He's still very worried about angering the wizard.

Talmakos
Talmakos uses Family Lands in Giraine, with a minor augment from Man of All (in training) for a total of 1W against a low resistance. 16 vs 12. A Minor Victory for Talmakos.

The workers listen to his speech and mull it over. "You want us to work for you instead of Ron?" another nudges him. "Why not, Ron hasn't said hide nor hair since we sent that runner last week. And this, Talmakos fella seems about as good."

The workers converse for a while, and then a greybeard worker steps forward. "Sure, I think I've seen that place. Old ruin, ain't had much use for it as it's not near our fields. I'll lead you there, and we'll even help you set it up. If you can protect us from the bugs."

Luc and Usculus
"Feel free to walk around the temple and its surrounding lands. Although these... workers have been complaining of something recently. And as for being busy, when are we not in our research. I am close to a breakthrough in my alchemy, but it is still so far away" his voice goes somewhat distant as he says it.

Luc has Halifor use his keen senses at 18 against a low resistance. 1 vs 15. A Major Victory for Luc.
Halifor has been hanging quietly around Luc's feet, but now finally loosened, the essence within him rises. Too many scents, too many magics, the hound of the fiery hells is almost overwhelmed, but then it finds something interesting. Something new and different. A combination of Fuel, of Food, and of... purity?

Halifor passes these emotions and desires to Luc, whose logical mind refines them to their most important parts. Alchemy is being performed here, that is no great surprise, but sharing his familiar's senses he can tell that it is not the normal kind. It speaks of the forms. Plants, man, and something otherworldly.

Dagram
"Oh sure, Ron and the Watcher are feuding, but that doesn't mean the fishermen there should starve. And if they've got coin, why not send a few extra bundles of rice. We still pay our tribute to Ron, so as I see it, we're doing nothing wrong." he grins, and shows Dagram a dented and worn copper dinar. "You keep the word on it, and I'll even see that some of these come your way."

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Neleos

The Brithini just shakes his head. "No, that is not what your father's duty. He is Talar, his role is to help all of us communicate between each other. But he too has been blinded by the lies that are spread by the false wizards." He looks at Midos again, as they walk out of the temple. "Midos, they will not listen to you now, no. You are correct in that you are just a child, but you will not be a child forever. You will grow up, and I will teach you the proper ways your people should live. Then you will be able to teach your people in turn. That, however, is for the future. Come, we will continue our walk."

As they walk through the rain, Neleos looks straight ahead, and notices the group of people gathered around the docks. "You are still afraid of me, child. Don't be. I am your teacher, not your enemy, and I will make sure you are kept safe, and you are directed in the proper ways of the Law. You are clever, Midos, and in time you will become wise as well. That is one of the reasons I chose you."

Soon the pair arrive at the docks, and Neleos looks down towards the gathered group, his eyes fixating on Rubert and Taretax. After a few moments, he says, in his usual tone "Green one, once you are finished with your activities here, you will seek me at the mansion. Lunch will have to wait for later."

He then turns his focus on Rubert, his eyes rummaging through the Reader's soul.

Theleos uses his Runic Sight to determine something about Rubert's essence.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Talmakos

Talmakos laughs a little at the workers' interpretation of his offer. "I'm thankful for your aid, but I would speak to Lord Ronalio before assuming any duties beyond the administration of my estate. However, I would be remiss if I did not aid you in your troubles. Tell me of these insects while you lead me to the manor."

Taking the group of farmers with him, Talmakos heads north, his heart beating so hard it feels like it will burst from his breast.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Dagram

"Now yer speakin' my language," Dagram says with a grin. "Ain't nothing wrong with making a bit of coin while helping folks out." His expression takes a more serious turn. "You said they're feuding though. How bad are we talking? If it's enough for Ron to deny 'em food it musta' been something serious."

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
After spending some more time in deep meditation to suppress any irrational and caste-inappropriate emotions, Adelbrand goes to Ronalio once again. "Talar, will you give me access to your library? I, too, want to see any texts that you might have recovered here."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Daros

"The fish is going to the ship. We're taking it back to the mainland. I'm going to stuff it and put it up for sale. But my men can take it. I shall go to the builder's guild and negotiate for construction of a guildhouse for you fishermen. I will return shortly and let you know the results."

With that, he orders his crew to get the fish on board.

Getting the fish on board, then casting Preserve Goods, which I have at 4W. Then going to the builder's guild. Maybe I'll be lucky and they'll agree to build the guild hall if I get them five wolf pelts from New Arvonwall or something. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Luc

Otherworldly ...

Luc smiles at Usculus. "Thank you."

A remote location, abnormal alchemy, something otherworldly. Fascinating!

"I'll stretch my legs a bit, and try to stay out of the way." Luc bows again and takes his leave.

Luc wanders a bit, deliberately randomly. He heads outside if the scent seemed to originate there, otherwise staying inside. If he comes across a worker who seems troubled, he pauses to ask what is troubling him or her with an air of concern for their wellbeing, trying to get more information but not pushing.

Generally speaking, he walks towards the source of the otherworldly scent, curiosity warring with caution, the latter on the verge of routing.

• Locked thread