Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skittle Prickle
Oct 28, 2005

The best-tasting pickle I ever heard!

divabot posted:

Why is Scott so into neoreaction? Because they're wonderfully loving and tolerant people, evidence being not all of them told Justine Tunney to just gently caress off.

Furthermore, they're just joking with the ghastly implicit and explicit beliefs, and if you believe otherwise you must be reading The Right Stuff, which of course doesn't exist:

Anyway, neoreactionaries are far nicer to hang around with than those darned feminists, who dare to say things he doesn't understand:

He also wrote a long post on SSC bitching about Chris Hallquist totally taking his words out of context (by quoting them accurately with a source) and writing as though statements like "blurring the already rather thin line between “feminism” and “literally Voldemort”" seem like they might repel people or something - on the flimsy grounds that Hallquist's post was a detailed piece on Scott having achieved precisely that.

Haha, his only actual point against feminism is literally "some neoreactionaries aren't transphobic but some feminists are!"

So reasonable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Why doesn't this guy just drop the charade and embrace his inner fash? He hangs out around fascists, he kind of sort of criticizes but not really fascist thought all the time, he seems completely obsessed with these neoreaction dorks. Everyone already knows he's a goddamn fascist, he cam give it up now.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Woolie Wool posted:

Why doesn't this guy just drop the charade and embrace his inner fash? He hangs out around fascists, he kind of sort of criticizes but not really fascist thought all the time, he seems completely obsessed with these neoreaction dorks. Everyone already knows he's a goddamn fascist, he cam give it up now.
Guys like this spend a lot of time accusing everyone who mildly disagrees with them as fascist or "dragging people into the showers," and the like.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

quote:

ozymandias says:
May 25, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Scott, Topher did not “agitate to get you shunned.” He said multiple times in his post that he does not think banning all anti-feminists is a good idea, and specifically mentions that he does not think banning you is a good idea. I mean, you couldn’t have at least linked to the post so people could check it out for themselves?

And, frankly, I think this post and its comments is evidence *for* the claims in Topher’s post. You interpreted a post that specifically and repeatedly talks about how it does not want to kick you out of anything as advocacy for kicking you out of effective altruism, which is an extremely uncharitable interpretation of a pro-feminist blog post. And this entire comment section is people being knee-jerk defensive of you without considering whether the accusations are remotely justified. (You’ve said yourself you’re irrational about feminism! Why is it slander when Topher agrees?)

quote:

Scott Alexander says:
May 25, 2015 at 10:54 pm

I did not accuse Topher of “agitating to get me shunned”. I said he was “trying to take statements of mine out of context to paint this blog as violently anti-feminist”

Other people are discussing getting me shunned. I very much avoided attributing that opinion to Topher, something you seem to have missed before deciding to post your comment above. I’ve edited the post to make the lack of Topher-accusation clearer, but I think you’re looking for trouble here. Please stop accusing me of being untruthful, stop implying I didn’t read Topher’s post, and generally stop.

I did not want to link to Topher’s post because I don’t want to reward him with page views or attention for having written it. I think he is needlessly fanning the flames of an internal-EA issue in a very provocative way in order to create drama, ruin my reputation, and ruin the reputation of EA. I think a reasonable person would have noted that I have been very quiet about feminist issues for several months now and tried to address this issue more quietly instead of publicly sensationalizing it and me. I would prefer to discourage that kind of thing rather than start a toxoplasma of rage thing.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

I would prefer to discourage that kind of thing rather than start a toxoplasma of rage thing.

What the hell is this supposed to mean? He thinks people are angry at him because of a protozoic infection?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Political Whores posted:

What the hell is this supposed to mean? He thinks people are angry at him because of a protozoic infection?

Memetics: the pseudoscience that lets you pretend your opponents are possessed by evil space viruses

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Memetics: the pseudoscience that lets you pretend your opponents are possessed by evil space viruses

But let me guess, they aren't subject to evil memes, they're perfectly rational. I wonder if I can get to OM 5 and fly if I purge myself of negative memes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Political Whores posted:

But let me guess, they aren't subject to evil memes, they're perfectly rational. I wonder if I can get to OM 5 and fly if I purge myself of negative memes.

Pretty much.

My opponents are controlled by an evil memeplex the neo-reactionaries have dubbed Cthulhu. I, however, reach all my conclusions through empiricism and reason and modify my beliefs based on reality. When they agree it's scary hiveminding, but when me and my friends agree it's just Rational Minds Seeking Best Solutions.

Duh.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So they have their own stupid ideas around "toxoplasma?" Because it sounded to me like he just grabbed at a big word that sounded spooky and bad that he had heard before but didn't remember very well and shoved it in.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Political Whores posted:

He's referring to this blog post.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Political Whores posted:

Basically this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc, but with a million more words wrapped around it.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I think a large part of the fundamental problem with SSC is that he follows from LessWrong in (a) fearlessly exploring philosophical ideas (which he ignores all history of and so makes up his own words and categorisations for things) but then (b) gets upset when people take him seriously and assume he understands what he's saying and means the really obvious horrible implications of his statements. Because out here in the real world, if you say "2+2" over and over, people are going to assume you mean 4. And if you want to say they added 2+2 and got 666, the burden of proof is back on you.

So he likes the neoreactionaries because they are as lacking in knowledge as him ("Moldbug has read 15,000 books but for some reason none of them were written by Foucault"), which is what he means by "ignore the object-level ghastliness, I like them personally".

I mean, Yudkowsky's a man of two or three books (Jaynes is not bad and was a pretty awesome guy in many ways, but you've never heard of his version of Bayesian philosophy because basically it made no impact outside thermodynamics and nobody else much cares) and beyond that doesn't believe a word he didn't write personally. But he's prepared to get out there and be thought of as seriously hosed up. Scott is aware enough to realise people are thinking badly of him and daring to say so.

edit: and Scott really doesn't understand that when he's merely saying words and spinning ideas, the people who say they find them dangerous and threatening, find them dangerous and threatening because they have actually been threatened with harm leading directly from words like that in real life: that his "exploration of concepts" is literally other people's "fighting words indicating immediate real danger". That is, their horror at him is utterly rational. Again, people have explicitly said this to him in the comments, and elsewhere: when someone says "yo, this is a serious real-life problem for me, I'm already treated like my life is inherently not worth living, what can you do for me", he utterly fails to perceive that this is about a real-life threat that actually happens and instead details why threatening their life and health is entirely reasonable. And let me remind you, he's a doctor. That post is an excellent example of the tone argument utterly failing to be worth the effort in real life.

divabot has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Jul 13, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What kind of doctor is this guy? How can someone so bad at reasoning be expected to diagnose and treat things? If I were seeing this guy for care and then discovered this blog, I would be terrified.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

divabot posted:

Again, people have explicitly said this to him in the comments, and elsewhere: when someone says "yo, this is a serious real-life problem for me, I'm already treated like my life is inherently not worth living, what can you do for me", he utterly fails to perceive that this is about a real-life threat that actually happens and instead details why threatening their life and health is entirely reasonable. And let me remind you, he's a doctor. That post is an excellent example of the tone argument utterly failing to be worth the effort in real life.

So let me see if I understand. An autistic (?) person sends him an ask saying they're uneasy about Singer's advocacy for post-natal abortions and his response is to waffle about how no, that's totally fine, because disabled lives are worth less than able-bodied lives?

And... he doesn't see the problem there?

No wonder he likes the neo reactionaries so much: he's got one foot on the 'everyone unlike me is inherently worth less' bandwagon already.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Gladney posted:

What kind of doctor is this guy? How can someone so bad at reasoning be expected to diagnose and treat things? If I were seeing this guy for care and then discovered this blog, I would be terrified.
Scott is obviously pretty smart. Seriously, if you do not see that this guy is way above average, most likely including for doctors, you're not being honest. The problem really isn't that he doesn't have enough brains, but that he's using it wrong.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

potatocubed posted:

So let me see if I understand. An autistic (?) person sends him an ask saying they're uneasy about Singer's advocacy for post-natal abortions and his response is to waffle about how no, that's totally fine, because disabled lives are worth less than able-bodied lives?

And... he doesn't see the problem there?

I think this is Ozy sort of describing why this was a bad answer, though frankly their reply is itself well into your-real-life-danger-is-my-pure-hypothetical gibbertopia.

Cingulate posted:

Scott is obviously pretty smart. Seriously, if you do not see that this guy is way above average, most likely including for doctors, you're not being honest. The problem really isn't that he doesn't have enough brains, but that he's using it wrong.

Much of the point of this thread is that it turns out IQ isn't enough in real life, and you also need some loving sense.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Wales Grey posted:

Basically this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc, but with a million more words wrapped around it.

One of the worst things Dawkins ever did was hypothesize about meme evolution. I understand why it's an interesting concept to think about, but anybody calling memes "thought-germs" has taken an already tenuous metaphor and just loving run that poo poo into the ground.

Awful, awful science.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Political Whores posted:

One of the worst things Dawkins ever did was hypothesize about meme evolution. I understand why it's an interesting concept to think about, but anybody calling memes "thought-germs" has taken an already tenuous metaphor and just loving run that poo poo into the ground.

Awful, awful science.

Not to mention that the 'meme' was theorised in various forms pretty consistently pre-Dawkins. He's late to a party he didn't even know existed. And it's been put it in far less dodgy terms than strictly Darwinian evolution.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

J_RBG posted:

Not to mention that the 'meme' was theorised in various forms pretty consistently pre-Dawkins. He's late to a party he didn't even know existed. And it's been put it in far less dodgy terms than strictly Darwinian evolution.

So it's no surprise SSC uses it!

But yeah, semiotics is a field that's been around for a lot longer than The Selfish Gene has.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Let's discuss the "insights" Scott gleaned from NRx and Moldbug. Is that whole "Moloch" concept actually something insightful or novel?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

divabot posted:

I think this is Ozy sort of describing why this was a bad answer, though frankly their reply is itself well into your-real-life-danger-is-my-pure-hypothetical gibbertopia.

Literally "It's really important that people join our cause, so stop saying stupid poo poo that makes us look bad."

I mean, that's one of many reasons why his answer was bad but I think it's telling that the go-to rebuttal is not 'your opinion is awful' but rather 'people can see your awful opinions, and that's bad'.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Merdifex posted:

Let's discuss the "insights" Scott gleaned from NRx and Moldbug. Is that whole "Moloch" concept actually something insightful or novel?

Well, the market as source of all problems is a reasonable claim to make (even if alternatives are unlikely at this civilisational stage - something which, to give him his credit, I think Scott covered usably well in this essay). Smerdis of Tlon's essay Abrechnung mit Reaktion sets out a not-entirely-implausible non-insane case for this being The Problem. I've known Smerdis a coupla decades, he's a top fellow, a classical scholar (well, a lawyer by day, but a classicist in his heart) who considers anything after about 1700 dangerously modern. If anyone was going to be a prime candidate for neoreaction it'd be him. He thinks they're hilariously awful too, and his essay pisses them the hell off. There are many things wrong and holes to be picked in this text, but at least it's saner than anything NRx produces.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

That "This is a concept I think is important/dangerous/influential so I will personify it as a God" poo poo is some Middle School social studies assignment poo poo.

Neo-Reactionary: How silly of you to think that there's an inherent march of progress in the universe. Where do you find atoms of progress in the world?

Neo-Reactionary: CTHULHU ALWAYS SWIMS LEFT! THE LEFT MEMEPLEX WILL DESTROY US ALL

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Of course Tumblr has already captured Scott:

jonomancer posted:

Yeah, i read Slatestarcodex. His writing seems to alternate between brilliant and really aggravatingly naiive. And sometimes he has to use pages and pages of very advanced Logic in order to reach a conclusion that other people seem to have figured out by going outside and talking to people. But at his best he invents some really useful tools for cutting through bullshit, like the concept of the “bravery argument”.

You have to steer clear of the comments, though. They remind me of that Onion article “ACLU defends neo-Nazi group’s right to burn down ACLU headquarters”

nostalgebraist answers with a reflection that doesn't contain pithy lines for me to bask in the glory of being smart enough to find and quote, but is worth a look.

tl;dr Scott is more terrifyingly naive than malicious.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Merdifex posted:

It's a pretty common rhetorical and literary trope. It's throughout Dante, Bunyon, Homer, etc.

Most of the essay itself is nothing that Mary Midgley (and others, I'm sure) hasn't said more concisely, accurately, and just plain better, plus with, you know, actual references because she's a biologist, and without all the stuff about memes because she things Dawkins is a tool.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Cingulate posted:

What does smart even mean if you're dead wrong most of the time?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I'd like to propose the word snart to describe people like Scott Alexander, the LW crowd, Mencius Moldbug et al., i.e., folks who are seemingly well-educated and have expansive vocabularies, who appear to employ logic and reason, but who are actually face-meltingly stupid.

Also, Urban Dictionary tells me that snart means sneezing and farting at the same time so there you go

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

neonnoodle posted:

I'd like to propose the word snart to describe people like Scott Alexander, the LW crowd, Mencius Moldbug et al., i.e., folks who are seemingly well-educated and have expansive vocabularies, who appear to employ logic and reason, but who are actually face-meltingly stupid.

Also, Urban Dictionary tells me that snart means sneezing and farting at the same time so there you go
there's already a term for that, it's 'pompous blowhard'

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

neonnoodle posted:

Sounds about right. They're often fairly well educated and know how to talk/write in a manner that makes them appear smart at first glance, but most of what they're saying is straight out of their rear end.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

neonnoodle posted:

ITT: sharts.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DStecks posted:

He has a skull bump that indicates a developed intellectual character scored well on an IQ test

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

neonnoodle posted:

DStecks posted:

The point I'd like to emphasize is: you need to be pretty smart to be catastrophically wrong. Your average 1-SD-beyond-the-mean-IQ stupid person will hold a number of extremely dumb ideas superficially, but to actually come up with, for example, a halfway-coherent rationale for, say, reintroducing the monarchy, one needs, if at all, one SD above the mean.

And yet, IQ means something.

Yes, you can follow this up with a bunch of sentences containing words like "sufficient" vs. "necessary" etc, but it's really not a controversial point I think.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

The point I'd like to emphasize is: you need to be pretty smart to be catastrophically wrong. Your average 1-SD-beyond-the-mean-IQ stupid person will hold a number of extremely dumb ideas superficially, but to actually come up with, for example, a halfway-coherent rationale for, say, reintroducing the monarchy, one needs, if at all, one SD above the mean.

And yet, IQ means something.

Yes, you can follow this up with a bunch of sentences containing words like "sufficient" vs. "necessary" etc, but it's really not a controversial point I think.

We are fools for thinking the Intelligence Quotient test measures Intelligence, instead of some mystical quality that makes you better than other people even while being wrong.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Jack Gladney posted:

SSC is a clinical psychologist at a hospital. He appears to have decent opinions within his own area of expertise. (Then again, that last post is over 2 years old at this point, and I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now Scott started solemnly debating a hip new NeoReactionary-approved psychology called "let the weak-minded kill themselves".)

Much more concerning is that he was at some point a teacher:

Mr. Alexander, unpopular English teacher posted:

...this dates from my time as a schoolteacher.

...I started teaching English, tried presenting the actually interesting things about the English language at a reasonable pace as if I were talking to real human beings. And it was a disaster.

...By the end of the school year I had realized that nothing was getting learned without threatening a test on it later, nothing was getting learned regardless unless it was rote memorization of a few especially boring points, and that I could usually force students to sit still long enough to learn it if and only if I bribed them with vapid games at regular intervals.

...when you say that the true test is whether they feel connected to the tradition of inquiry into the mysteries of Nature, they’ll roll their eyes and secretly play Pokemon on their Nintendo DS thinking you can’t see it if it’s held kind of under their desk.

The man who believes that poor people are inherently dumber than rich people possibly taught your kids — and he fuckin hated them.

And judging from the dang-kids-with-their-Pokemon-and-their-Gameboys comment, and the bit where he talks about doing silly dances to hold their attention, he probably taught kids between 8 and 10 years old. SSC uses hyperactive young children to condemn all students as incurious, spastic irritants and paint the entire education system as a failure.

So like, it could be much worse. He could be a pediatric psychiatrist.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Oh, so Scott was the terrible teacher in a British children's novel.

Good, cool. I hope he left because Matilda played a hilarious prank on him and despite his best efforts, Gryffindor got the House Cup.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Protip: when all of the classes you teach have the same problem, look for the element that all of them have in common.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Jack Gladney posted:

Protip: when all of the classes you teach have the same problem, look for the element that all of them have in common.

If you think somebody you know is an rear end in a top hat, they probably are. If you think everybody you know is an rear end in a top hat, it's probably you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jack Gladney posted:

Doctors can be really good at their job while simultaneously believing some really dumb stuff. Expertise in one area doesn't translate to superior reasoning in all areas.

Political Whores posted:

Awful, awful science.
I don't think the CGP Grey video is supposed to be teaching science. It's just a simple analogy for an interesting idea.

potatocubed posted:

Literally "It's really important that people join our cause, so stop saying stupid poo poo that makes us look bad."

I mean, that's one of many reasons why his answer was bad but I think it's telling that the go-to rebuttal is not 'your opinion is awful' but rather 'people can see your awful opinions, and that's bad'.
But if there's a group that believes in a particular unpopular idea, "shut up about that, you'll drive people away" is a good argument for getting members of the group to stop saying it in public. Whether you agree with the idea or not.

DStecks posted:

What does "smart" mean at all? What's the objective measure of intelligence?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you somehow think Scott has opinions anywhere close to the worst few percentiles of doctor-held opinions, if you think he's particularly awful concerning what doctors think - then I wish I had your optimism in how terrible doctors, or people in general, are.

This thread is not an example of disproportionally awful ideas. It's a thread of ideas whose level of awfulness is completely average - it's just that they're awful in new and exciting ways, and at times a bit more interestingly elaborated.

You know, somebody out there is doing all of the actual raping and baby-murdering and voting republican, while somehow considering themselves in the right, and it's not Scott, or even Moldbug.

They're just bad in funny ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

What does "smart" mean at all? What's the objective measure of intelligence?
Well for now it's not getting any better than IQ.