Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I'd posted this compilation a while back, but I think it's probably as good a time as any to release it again.

I've accumulated a collection of 78 rpm records over the last several years. It's pre-war in nearly every sense of the term as it relates to recorded sound (as long as you forget the Spanish-American War ever happened). Banjo solos from the early 1900s, among the first labeled 'jass' (jazz) records ever released, and a whole lot of songs that sold hundreds of thousands--if not millions of copies--when they were initially sold, only to be forgotten years, decades, a century later by almost everyone.

But among those records, I've got a collection of songs that were written specifically for the most pressing event in the minds of Americans (and millions of others around the world) throughout the first quarter of the 20th century. World War I was, as its name implies, the first truly global conflict. Millions of men died. Millions more were grievously wounded. It was, for I guess a regrettably brief time, The War To End All Wars.

I figure it's only fitting that on the 100th anniversary of the accepted beginning of this event, I (re)release an album of songs that were written for people living through this time. People whose fathers, sons, lovers, and friends were whisked off to a battlefield they may never have left. A battlefield that so many have forgotten.

These are the songs that people listened to 100 years ago. It's astonishing how much recorded sound has changed in the ensuing decades; it's astonishing how much our musical tastes have changed. And it's amazing, in many ways, how these artefacts have survived nearly a century just to be bought by a dope like me.

Whatever. It's free music you probably would never otherwise hear. And for those of you who WOULD have otherwise heard it, feel free to post your own rips! I've tried to clean up the surface noise and egregious pops as much as possible without affecting the sound. If you know more about this sort of thing than I do, offer up some constructive criticism!

ATTN: mods: I'm kind of assuming this is all public domain by this point. If not, let me know and I'll remove the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

very good poo poo, OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hRDS3LvQQ

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am going to listen to this RIGHT NOW and you are awesome for everything about this post.

Even if of course now all scratchy early-1900s records instantly make me assume I am about to be killed by Lovecraftian horrors.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Oh, and I guess ignore the fact that the US didn't join the war til long after July 28, 1914. I live in America and that's the music I was dealt.

Mauvais
Jul 24, 2002

HUZZAH
This is actually kinda cool, thanks! Customers at my work are usually aging baby boomers and always want WWII stuff so it's sort of neat to get some WWI up in

Also weird as hell to think it's been a century

ReptileChillock
Jan 7, 2014

by Lowtax
This is super cool, op! thanks!

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYYtcnuP92w

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
mustard :gas: this thread

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the would would have been a lot better if the habsburgs never existed

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Dunno how, but you got me.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyzlisVVS1E

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I'd posted this compilation a while back, but I think it's probably as good a time as any to release it again.

I've accumulated a collection of 78 rpm records over the last several years. It's pre-war in nearly every sense of the term as it relates to recorded sound (as long as you forget the Spanish-American War ever happened). Banjo solos from the early 1900s, among the first labeled 'jass' (jazz) records ever released, and a whole lot of songs that sold hundreds of thousands--if not millions of copies--when they were initially sold, only to be forgotten years, decades, a century later by almost everyone.

But among those records, I've got a collection of songs that were written specifically for the most pressing event in the minds of Americans (and millions of others around the world) throughout the first quarter of the 20th century. World War I was, as its name implies, the first truly global conflict. Millions of men died. Millions more were grievously wounded. It was, for I guess a regrettably brief time, The War To End All Wars.

I figure it's only fitting that on the 100th anniversary of the accepted beginning of this event, I (re)release an album of songs that were written for people living through this time. People whose fathers, sons, lovers, and friends were whisked off to a battlefield they may never have left. A battlefield that so many have forgotten.

These are the songs that people listened to 100 years ago. It's astonishing how much recorded sound has changed in the ensuing decades; it's astonishing how much our musical tastes have changed. And it's amazing, in many ways, how these artefacts have survived nearly a century just to be bought by a dope like me.

Whatever. It's free music you probably would never otherwise hear. And for those of you who WOULD have otherwise heard it, feel free to post your own rips! I've tried to clean up the surface noise and egregious pops as much as possible without affecting the sound. If you know more about this sort of thing than I do, offer up some constructive criticism!

ATTN: mods: I'm kind of assuming this is all public domain by this point. If not, let me know and I'll remove the link.

effort that isnt gay, thanks

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Actually the Seven Years War was the first global conflict OP

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

"music??" but where is the dumpsteps?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Also everyone knows Jean-Michel Jarre scored World War I:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eeijbtbnjQ

(I was actually going to post in this thread to ask if anyone knew if my memory of watching a World War I film as a young child where the final shot of the film was a running man being shot out of the blue for no reason and freeze-framed was made up or not ... then I decided to Google "World War I movie running guy" and before too long KABLAM

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Long Way to Tipperary is p good

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The musical Oh! It's a Lovely War is about WW1, has a lot of songs, and is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUHh5uAcaBw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgruH0IdJ0g

• Locked thread