Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Games thread were jizzing precum all over themselves leading up to the launch. Apparently I bought it during Steam Sale. I'll give it a test run when I beat Shovel Knight and let you guys in on the deetz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

As I always say, OP: "Hell, if it's good enough for Games, it's drat well good enough for this hefty gamer."

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's pretty cool. Theocrat was insanely strong at release but they did a lot of balance patches so I have no idea if they made Shrines less ridiculous

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
Its one of those games where you play it and you're like yep this is pretty fun and then you start playing some other game like a week later and you forget all about it and don't really go back ever and then you see a thread about it and you write this post.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I thought it was great and I played the poo poo out of it for 2 weeks. I think I'm done with it though until the expansion comes out

[e] Oh, the campaign is super short for some reason so if that's you're thing you might be disappointed.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

El Wombato posted:

Its one of those games where you play it and you're like yep this is pretty fun and then you start playing some other game like a week later and you forget all about it and don't really go back ever and then you see a thread about it and you write this post.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

i have age of wonders shadow magick idk where i got it from nor what im doing which one is this?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
It's not a homerun like aow 1 was, but it's decent. Looks terrible on low settings on a laptop. I haven't checked the patches but at release it was a chore to get any information from the games civopedia thingy. Thinking about combining classes and races is fun, but playing...

Sephuran
Nov 12, 2011

El Wombato posted:

This exactly. God drat.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
The core gameplay is really good and the patches have added a lot but it needs more options and stuff to do to keep people playing. I'm holding out for the expansion in another couple months.

quote:

i have age of wonders shadow magick idk where i got it from nor what im doing which one is this?

It was the newest game in the series before three came out. It's good but old as poo poo.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

El Wombato posted:

You just described 95% of my Steam library.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It seems ok so far. I don't really know a lot of the actual strategy/optimal research stuff yet obviously. It just seems like there isnt that much actual variety in terms of killing units, and it's super easy to get the top tier units. And there's not really a reason to have unit variety in an army. Just mass the top tier unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It seems ok so far. I don't really know a lot of the actual strategy/optimal research stuff yet obviously. It just seems like there isnt that much actual variety in terms of killing units, and it's super easy to get the top tier units. And there's not really a reason to have unit variety in an army. Just mass the top tier unit.

If you get good with flanking you can murder Tier 4 units with militia, and there's counters and such. The AI will let you get away with massing a single unit type usually, though.

Also, one thing that's not obvious about the game is that it's meant to be relatively fast-paced compared to other turn-based strategy games. Like 100 turns is usually considered one long-rear end game. People play multiplayer matches that are over in an hour or two. Not that you have to rush all the time, but that's the sort of intended pacing with building cities and unlocking units and stuff. For random maps you can set research and city growth to slow if you prefer. There's a crapload of customization sliders for everything.

• Locked thread