Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Well, sounds like I guessed that one right anyway. This should be a fun one to read. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I am so looking forward to these.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

So I can just stop watching doctor who from now on, right

No loving way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Toxxupation posted:

So I can just stop watching doctor who from now on, right

because, well, nothing will ever beat that, ever

There are episodes that aren't as good, there are episodes as good, and there are episodes that are better, all still to come - we just can't agree which are which!

But yeah, the Library 2-parter is pretty drat amazing.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's not for nothingt that this run of episodes is my favourite of the whole RTD era.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Everything is better with River

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Such a turd in a bucket, McGann is.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 1, 2014

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

mind the walrus posted:

[making the same mistake I made 100 pages ago]

I need to break my self-imposed silence (which I've maintained from the start of this thread until now) to call you an rear end in a top hat.

...rear end in a top hat.

edit: Forgot I needed to fix the quote! I swear I learned from my sins.

McGann fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 1, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
e: fine.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 1, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

McGann posted:

I need to break my self-imposed silence (which I've maintained from the start of this thread until now) to call you an rear end in a top hat.

...rear end in a top hat.

If you really gave a gently caress you'd have kept your silence and let my comment go ignored.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Cut this poo poo out now, kthx. Edit out your respective posts or I'll get Annakie to do it for me.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

mind the walrus posted:

If you really gave a gently caress you'd have kept your silence and let my comment go ignored.

You're right, deflect that 'oh poo poo I hosed up' ASAP - though I admit I also hosed up, I didn't say I never gave a gently caress!

edit: Surprise, a Doctor Who thread is active on a "dress like a slut" holiday.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

McGann posted:

edit: Surprise, a Doctor Who thread is active on a "dress like a slut" holiday.

I'm on my phone at a party dressed like a cat and I am still eagerly waiting for these reviews.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Yeah and reminder that they probably only watched part one tonight so keep your mouths shut about part two, including your general impressions of it, thanks. :)

(Man this is the first time I've had to post in this thread for weeks though, so, good job on that.)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Colin Salmon, who plays the doctor in this story, was one of the many actors rumoured to be taking over as the Doctor at one point or another.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The 'what the gently caress' feeling after seeing this episode's pre-credits sequence for the first time was one of the most memorable moments in Doctor Who for me.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 1, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who
"Silence in the Library"
Series 4, Episode 8

When I say an episode of Doctor Who is good, I'm writing with an invisible asterisk that appears after the word "good" and directs to a footnote which says, in all caps and bolded, "FOR AN EPISODE OF DOCTOR WHO." This is not an implicit criticism or a slight; well, it is, but not in the way I intend for it to be. As I've mentioned before, it's important to grade Doctor Who on the show it's attempting to be over what the viewer wants it to be, and for all intents and purposes Doctor Who wants to be a children's program.

Which is fine, but necessitates that I clarify that when I say an episode of Who is good, it's with the caveat that every episode of the show is gonna have at least a little bit of awkward dialog, some heavy-handed moralization, simplistic and clearly foreshadowed plot twists, and the structure of the episode itself is gonna be rather...samey. This is the mode that Who traditionally operates in, because the genre of show that Who is aiming for demands that it be so. So yes, my estimation of a "good" episode of Who is good in the context of it being an episode of Doctor Who.

Or was, until "Silence in the Library" comes along, that bar-none most perfect episode of Who that I've seen, a bar-none outstanding hour of television. Period. No caveats, no asterisks, no footnotes, no parentheticals. Just a flat-out loving amazing 45 minutes of televised enjoyment that works on literally every level that it's conceived on.

The cold open of this episode deserves special mention: It begins with a young girl (Eve Newton) recounting her mental journey through her "library" (a state of mind) to her doctor/psychologist, Dr. Moon (Colin Salmon) before her dream turns horribly wrong, with invaders knocking at the door to her library, ready to break the door down...until it's revealed that the intruders are Donna and The Doctor.

The cold open accomplishes three important goals within a very short amount of time: One, it establishes the dark tone of the episode quickly and effectively; two, it makes clear that The Girl (as she is called in this episode; the audience isn't given a name for her) isn't crazy, delusional, or somewhere on the spectrum- and thus we can implicitly trust her upcoming scenes as "real"; and finally three, it clarifies that the titular Library, the setting for the episode, isn't the antagonist- as The Girl notes, there are intruders in "her" library, and these intruders are both not expected to be there and not wanted when they arrive. When intruders don't come to the Library, it's a place of serenity; a place of pure grace, a place of peace. The problem with the Library comes from without, not within.

The Library, as The Doctor notes as he and Donna quickly disembark onto it, is a rather remarkable accomplishment; despite technology having progressed to the point where physical books are completely irrelevant, the universe still holds the physical act of reading in high regard, enough to create the biggest library in the universe- so big, in fact, that the Library holds every book in existence and encompasses an entire planet. Unfortunately, the Library is completely vacant; The Doctor and Donna are the only humans there when they arrive, so the intrepid duo go off to investigate why the planet is so lifeless.

There are a lot of specific, varied reasons why this episode is top-to-bottom a triumph of television storytelling, but the opening act of "Silence in the Library" is one of the strongest. The first fifteen-to-twenty minutes of the episode just oozes tone and restraint in a way not seen since...well, since "The Empty Child", really. It's a dark, depressing little excursion as The Doctor and Donna walk through the decrepit, long-since-dead hallways of the Library, trying desperately to piece together what exactly happened here and slowly realize with ever-increasing horror the enormity of their situation. It's an incredible little self-contained story all on its own, this very slow, very methodical and supremely well-paced first act, as The Doctor and Donna interact with nobody outside of a couple of rather disturbing human-faced statues.

Which is another reason why the episode is so amazing; even when Moffat, the writer for this two-parter, does like he usually does and spends his first act setting up the pieces, even before there's even a hint of the antagonist for "Silence" there's some very deep, very dark horror going on. The pleasant-voiced, but rather robotic "library guides" with their cold, white pillars for bodies and their all-too-human faces are immediately repellent (something RTD never seemed to get when writing "Love and Monsters"), so it just exacerbates the natural audience reaction to seeing these horrors when The Doctor asks one to play back the audio recordings the last denizens left before they died. Their dry, but vaguely pleasant voices mix with the last, desperate words of people dying in horror and pain to create some truly unsettling stuff- but The Doctor and Donna quickly learn that something truly, horribly wrong has happened, and they're not safe. Especially not in the shadows.

And so The Doctor and Donna continue on, becoming steadily more and more worried about the safety of the Library, they decide to make a beeline back to the TARDIS and leave- but not before the lights start to shut off behind them and they're forced to flee into a derelict room, which is- where The Girl met them, finally revealing how the scene in the cold open came to be. Strangely though, they don't see The Girl (or indeed, even knows she exists)- instead, all they see is a security camera, which seems somehow tied to her consciousness (as The Doctor learns when he tries to mess with the security camera and it ends up hurting The Girl in her world).

Right after seeing the camera, The Doctor and Donna are interrupted by an archaeological dig led by River Song (Alex Kingston), a no-nonsense, tough-as-nails older woman who seems to have a long history with The Doctor (for his part, he has no idea who River is). They quickly find out that The Library has actually been sealed for 100 years, after all of its denizens mysteriously died all at once. After this, the episode alternately deals with The Doctor, Donna, and the archaeological team trying desperately to figure out what, exactly, killed the former residents of The Library (and is now trying to kill them), and scenes with The Girl as she's being somehow mentally affected by the events in The Library.

It all builds to a rather incredible climax- as The Doctor explains, there's a race of moderately intelligent, light-sensitive microorganisms called the Vashta Nerada that are carnivorous- usually they feast on roadkill because they operate in relatively tiny packs -that have grouped in numbers never before seen and gone berserk for an unexplained reason, which has led to them hunting down and consuming all the previous denizens of The Library before now. As they are light sensitive, they lurk in shadows- especially the shadows of their prey- and, as The Doctor notes, they're not in every shadow...but they could be in any shadow.

It's an episode that, much like "Blink", another Moffat joint, understands that Doctor Who is a very low-budget show so leans on primal terrors to create tension over (incredibly bad) CGI. In "Blink", it was the concept of the monster under the bed coming after you even when you're not looking, but with "Silence" Moffat goes even more base than that- humanity's fear of the dark.

Humans are not nocturnal creatures, and our eyes can't perceive light very well- especially in comparison to other animals- so probably just as an evolutionary matter of course did humanity end up with a fear of the dark. When creatures that could kill us could hunt us in the dark, when we're at our most disadvantaged especially in comparison to them, humans end up with an instilled fear reinforced through legends and storytelling. A directive of "don't go outside to the dark woods if you don't want to loving die" grows and becomes entertaining, becomes a story about gods of the wood who curse any who enter after midnight, becomes the story of the sly Fox and evil Bear, becomes the story of the shadow monsters that will reach out and gut you.

The point is is that stories about the dark being evil and murderous work, even when they're host to a swarm of microbiotic piranha, because darkness is so fundamental a fear to the natural human psyche that the particulars don't matter. There's such a loss of information in the dark that almost any explanation works, because the job's already half-done as a writer of horror. We're all, as a species, willing to buy on some fundamental level that there's evil gubbins that we can't see in the shadows because we've been conditioned from millenia of existing that it's true, and Moffat takes that fundamental fear and twists it to create an incredible hour of television. The Vashta Nerada are so scary because they're so emblematic of a base terror that we all share; they're not some awkwardly CGI'd hunk of crap that looks laughable -they're just...a void. And like all voids, all they do is consume.

"Silence" is all the more incredible, too, when you consider how well-integrated its disparate storylines work. The Girl's b-plot could've been a real albatross around "Silence"'s neck, but it instead turns out to be one of the strongest aspects of the episode as a whole- helped in no small part by Eve Newton's genuinely good acting. But even if Eve's acting was sub-par, the level of cohesion and genuine mystery The Girl's plot provides to "Silence" as a whole is downright staggering, as the fact that The Doctor is able to somehow communicate with her- and only her- via the television and phone in her apartment, on top of the fact that The Girl pressing buttons on the remote is somehow able to affect the books in the Library continues to confuse and engage the audience.

On top of that, River's little sub-plot with The Doctor- as she's clearly been a victim of Moffat's predilection for self-causation, as her message to The Doctor to meet at The Library was why they met in The Library for the first time ever (although she's obviously met The Doctor many, many times before this moment, due to Time Shenanigans). Her desperate pleas to The Doctor for him to remember her, and clear romantic affection that she has for him, is emotionally devasting as she slowly comes to terms with the fact that he has no idea who she is- while the fact that she has a clear, if intentionally undefined, previous relationship with The Doctor means that injects further mystery into the episode as a whole- like the revelation that she not only has a Sonic Screwdriver, but she in fact has The Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver, which he must have given to her.

River deserves special mention, as well, for being impeccably written and played by Alex Kingston but also for being a romantic interest of The Doctor that actually works. It helps that all the affection is one-sided- The Doctor is just plain confused by the fact that River apparently knows him when he doesn't know her -but most importantly we arrive when River is in the middle of having had some sort of relationship with The Doctor. So instead of another scene of River ineffectually pining for The Doctor, we are instead introduced to River as someone who's brilliant, competent, and in every way The Doctor's equal- via both words and actions -who's forced to overcome the fact that the person who she has some sort of affection for doesn't know who she is yet. It creates an emotionally raw and resonant aspect to River's romance that makes her relatable, interesting, and sympathetic, while also skipping the part when River, like Rose and Martha before her, spent all her time ineffectually pining over the Doctor to get him to like her. It also creates, as mentioned before, an aura of mystery to her character- You, as the audience member, want to figure out how River and The Doctor's relationship started, and how it progressed to the point where he gifted her his Sonic Screwdriver. It creates a relationship that we the audience have caught a glimpse of and in the glimpsing, would like to learn more about.

Ultimately, the episode has a cohesion of theme never really seen before, and certainly not at this level, that elevates it in my mind as the best episode of Doctor Who that I have ever seen. Everything- from the location it is set to River's sub-plot to The Girl's sub-plot to the twists and turns of the overall plot as a whole- builds into the theme of the futility of, but desire in, understanding the unknown. As The Doctor notes to Donna when they disembark in The Library, she can't read any biographies she finds because it'd spoil the future for her. As River reinforces with her sub-plot, she's taken furious notes on every interaction she and The Doctor has had but stresses that he can't read them, because they'd be spoilers as well. The antagonists of this episode literally prey on the unknown- the dark -and abhor the light, or understanding. And both the overall plot as a whole and The Girl's sub-plot in specific are full of plot twists and turns, constantly throwing the audience on its heels in what they perceive the episode to be, or to be about.

Books are unique, The Doctor notes, because a reader can literally flip to the end and literally spoil themselves in seconds. But that defeats the purpose of reading as a hobby; the journey is not in the destination but in the journey itself. This is the theme of the episode, stated barely five minutes into it, which the rest of the episode completely supports to build to a specific point. Sure, a watcher could just scrub through the episode and watch the climax, or watch the final shot of the episode- as we see Donna turned into a statue, quietly and coldly repeating "Donna Noble has left the library. Donna Noble has been saved." over and over and over and over as a skeletized, but Vashta Nerada-controlled, former crew member, repeats just as often "Who turned out the lights?", and maybe it'd even be enjoyable, but then you'd miss one of the single best and most emotional scenes that Doctor Who has had ever in the death of Miss Evengelista (Talulah Riley). You'd miss the narrative impact of the reveal that Dr. Moon was on The Girl's side all along, as he monologued:

"What I want you to remember is this, and I know it's hard. The real world is a lie, and your nightmares are real. The library is real. There are people trapped in there. People who need to be saved. The shadows are moving again, those people are depending on you. Only you can save them. Only you."

I mean, it was such an incredible and well-executed reveal that I rewound it and immediately watched it again, stunned by how entrancing it was both on the page and the screen. And these scenes only work, and the episode as a whole only works, by thematically tying together everything into a neat bow, by keeping the audience deliberately uninformed and pacing reveals constantly in a way that was thematically engrossing, while still grounding everything emotionally in a way that keeps the audience invested on both levels. The journey is in the journey, "Silence in the Library" posits, and on every level this journey is amazing.

Grade: A

Random Thoughts:
  • OKAY YES I GET THE "I'M SO, SO SORRY" LINE NOW. COOL. GOOD REF, GUYS, REAL FUNNY THE FIFTEENTH TIME AROUND YOU POSTED IT IN THIS THREAD.
  • Why is that the most quoted line from this episode, there's like a billion that are funnier, more quotable, or more affecting than some offhand comment The Doctor makes to some no-name chump who ends up dying.
  • Donna Status: Still Owns.
  • I say this every review but holy poo poo is Donna just the absolute best, and I wish it wouldn't come off as repetitive or I'd spend every reviewing trumpeting how great she and Catherine Tate are.
  • This episode was so good I'm willing to unironically, sincerely say that "Silence in the Library" is emblematic what Doctor Who could be if it was an HBO show. And if you know me, and my tastes in television, that's the highest praise possible coming from me.
  • The Doctor: "Nice door skills, Donna." Donna: "Yeah, well, boyfriends, sometimes you need the element of surprise."
  • Donna: "SONIC IT! USE THE THINGY!" The Doctor: "I can't! It's wood!" Donna: "WHAT, IT DOESN'T DO WOOD?!"
  • The Doctor: "Donna..." Donna: "Yeah." The Doctor: "Stay out of the shadows."
  • The Doctor: "A million million life-forms...and silence in the library."
  • I had one quibble with this episode, that The Doctor just apparently knew it was Vashta Nerada all along and just like, sat on revealing it to the rest of the group for no reason until it was roughly around the time when the climax should happen.
  • Okay, sorry- this episode has the best cliffhanger ever.
  • That little sequence of Donna and The Doctor, simultaneously and without even a glance to confirm their decision, tearing up the contracts? loving priceless.
  • Donna: "That was...that was horrible. That was the most horrible thing I've ever seen." <- Most emotionally affecting line of dialog in the episode
  • The Doctor: "Yeah, but we're safe anyways." Donna: "How are we safe?" The Doctor: "We're not, that was a clever lie to shut you up."
  • I'm going to guess that The Girl is actually a young River, which is why the audience isn't given her name.
  • Donna Noble has left the library.
  • Donna Noble has been saved.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The "sorry" thing started well before this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQkFNVhppXo
(No spoilers in the video)

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
The joke is that Ten apologies a lot. Although that's not joke, really. We apologize if you were expecting a joke. We're sorry.

So, so sorry.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

[*] Okay, sorry- this episode has the best cliffhanger ever.

Pfft, it doesn't even have anyone literally hanging over a cliff!

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I gave the show a shot because I heard people talking about this two-parter. Worth it.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
"Hey, Who turned out the lights?" is the goofiest thing I've ever actually gotten scared by.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Ohtsam posted:

"Hey, Who turned out the lights?" is the goofiest thing I've ever actually gotten scared by.

I don't know, it really seemed like a recycling of "Are you my mummy?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Potooweet posted:

The joke is that Ten apologies a lot. Although that's not joke, really. We apologize if you were expecting a joke. We're sorry.

So, so sorry.

Yeah. I'm sure he's said it 3 or 4 times at this point in other episodes. Maybe not as much as "wellllll" but probably more than "alons-y", at least in my memory. It's a catchphrase, not a specific episode reference.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jurgan posted:

I don't know, it really seemed like a recycling of "Are you my mummy?"

It's almost like Moffat is starting to repeat himself after 4 seasons

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

It's almost like Moffat is starting to repeat himself after 4 seasons

SHH, spoilers!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That implies absolutely nothing unless you want to read it as such, and as a matter of fact I believe quite the opposite.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

That implies absolutely nothing unless you want to read it as such, and as a matter of fact I believe quite the opposite.

I might have been not implying something of my own.

I'm not good at this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really really wasn't trying to imply anything with my post, and really did mean what I said on an absolute face value. Out of all of Moffat's RTD episodes you can clearly see him start to repeat himself and run out of ideas.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I kinda find the positive review surprising, as this was when a lot of people (me included) started to get tired of Moffat. Most of the story feels like a greatest hits record, retreading old ground to the point where it seems to lose the original point.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I'm wishing I had done the contest now, I think I would have cleaned up. Glad to see Ox really enjoyed this episode, can't wait for his thoughts on the next two.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Toxxupation, you may be be amused to learn that this episode, if I'm remembering correctly, sharply divided the SA Doctor Who thread. Some people considered it a high point for Moffatt's writing and were crowing about it. Others thought it was too similar to some of his earlier works and were complaining.

And a third faction was sitting in the corner moaning about how the Doctor was an alien being incapable of human romance and to imply that River would one day be someone Very Special to him was a rejection of the most holy of canons.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Doctor Who
"Silence in the Library"
Series 4, Episode 8

Given this is a) a Moffat episode, b) thoroughly dissected already by Occ, and c) so high-quality that it's sort of intimidating trying to tease out the stuff I like about it, I can't gush over this one as well as I'd like. But I would be remiss not to try.

I love libraries, structurally as well as in the philosophical sense (reading is fundamental, kids, stop watching all that drat TV), so "Silence in the Library" had me at hello. This one was shot mostly in a then-defunct library in Swansea, and the composition of each frame mixed with a few sparse CGI vistas really does make this podunk Welsh library look like the planet-spanning complex the episode tries to portray. The camera hovers in high ceilings, pans around sweeping halls, and - when the Vashta Nerada being to creep into the plot - skulks behind bookshelves and beneath eaves; the control of size and light from shot to shot is lovely to watch, and way above par for Doctor Who. There's a mournful undercurrent to the planet's abandonment, all these books that can never be read, that colors the episode just as much as mysterious little girls and shadows that eat people.

"Silence in the Library" does a lot of juggling in its script, and it more or less manages to keep all the balls in the air. We've traveled to the distant future before, but those episodes often came out looking like the present, just with a lot of cheap blue lighting and poorly made-up aliens walking about. "Silence" has a lot more success by casually incorporating its unusual, often unsettling technology in otherwise mundane settings - the lumpen flesh-statuettes are the 51st-century equivalent of a card catalog and PA system, and the archaeology teams' email clients channel the dead. Left on their own, these devices would be nice bits of set-dressing, but the way they later come into play makes them spooky and plot-essential; the data-ghost repetition quickly becomes the calling card of the silent, insubstantial Vashta Nerada, and Occ raved enough about Donna's face popping up on those ghoulish sculptures. The trappings of this space-age tech become co-opted by the enemy, drawing around the Doctor and company as tightly as the Vashta Nerada themselves.

This is an extraordinarily slow-burning episode, even by two-parter standards; if you think about it, nearly half its length takes place in that single rotunda, since the Vashta Nerada take pains to block off nearly every avenue of escape. With the exception of some standard running and shouting, and a brief excursion into the hidden side-room to watch Evangelista's brainwaves mutter themselves into oblivion, the Doctor's part of "Silence in the Library" is spent explaining the various mechanics of the Vashta Nerada, the Library's predicament, and ways for the Doctor to escape from the place with as few skeletonizations as possible. It's still a show for children, but one with respect for their intelligence; it takes its time on each point, and sometimes belabors them, but only so there's no room left for confusion when every element clicks into place.

Which leads into my next point - I am truly impressed at how malicious this episode is to the minds of its young viewers. Moffat's world is already one where you can never blink at statues, where knife-packing clockwork robots hide in your fireplace, and where you can never help a child ever, but now we have literally carnivorous darkness that is explicitly said to exist on Earth and is visible as "the dust in sunbeams," which many children happen to be delighted by. When Dr. Moon is explaining to the nameless, mysterious girl that "the real world is a lie, and your nightmares are real," he may as well have turned directly into the camera and said, "That's right - yours. Especially the one about the thing that lives in your ceiling." I was a big aficionado of scaring myself shitless as a kid (I once read Stephen King's Skeleton Crew cover-to-cover in one day when I was eleven and spent the rest of the night in the bathroom with the lights on), and can give "Silence in the Library" a quiet nod of respect for so expertly torturing the minds of its impressionable young viewers.

There's one other aspect of this episode I'm missing. It's coming to mind, on the top of my tongue, I can't quite seem to place my finger on it...

But wait...could it be? It is! This frizzy-headed silhouette stalking into Doctor Who canon, played by Alex Kingston, who beat out Kate Winslet in her initial casting. Archaeologist with a mysterious past, leader of this latest gaggle of corpses to be. She of the mysterious blue book, the ramshackle screwdriver, and the lovely name. A character so reviled by Who fans that the spoiler thread maintained an informal hierarchy based on how many misogynist slurs you could throw at her in a single post. Here she comes, here she is, take your places, drumroll please: the indomitable, inestimable, inimitable, incorrigible, Riverrrrrr SOOOOOOOONG!

*an immaculate chorus sings the words "Hello sweetie" to to the tune of Beethoven's Ninth*

*ten thousand fireworks emblazon the night sky with Alex Kingston's face*

*a military-grade laser inscribes the word SPOILERS on the surface of the moon*

Ahh, River. The Doctor's non-linear relation of mysterious origins, River Song seems a bit too precisely cut from the "badass, independent woman" mold of characters, but she's still played with deftness by Kingston, who's able to slide between confident smugness and trembling uncertainty as the situation demands. My first interaction with the Who fanbase involved River - I was just getting into the series and checking out the Who megathreads when I saw people spitting language at the character that would turn the anti-Skyler brigade's hair white, and it's left an impression on me ever since. The impression was not a positive one, in case I'm not being clear.

Needless to say I disagree and rather like River's character on the whole, but we've only just been introduced to her and it'd be spoilers (haw) to get into more detail. Meanwhile, "Silence in the Library" stands as one of the most competent, clever, and haunting episodes in the series, one that's willing to set its scene, take its time, and traumatize an entire generation of viewers who have yet to learn the far more potent terror of student loans. Can't fault it for that! No matter how hard you try.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 1, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can see the complaints that the Vashta Nerada share some traits with past Moffat monsters (the non-sequitur chanting in particular) but there are so many new and interesting ideas in Silence in the Library that I can't really see it as a retread. You have The Girl, the data ghosts, the face-pillars and so on.

e: I also admire how all of those elements are designed to horrify children.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 1, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, this episode rules, and gushing about even one aspect of it feels like a disservice to every other aspect because it is ALL so good. That said, every time I rewatch it, it is Miss Evangelista's confused "final" words that stand out the most - I somehow always forget that scene is coming, and am always impressed by how strong it is.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Steve Pemberton!

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Toxxupation posted:

Oxxidation has left the thread.

Oxxidation has been saved.

Have you watched both parts, or just the first one?

Edit: Whoops replied from the past

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Silence in the Library

Unsurprisingly a lot of people got this right, with only a handful not expecting the A that I think this ep definitely deserves.

A
BSam
jng2058
adhuin
idonotlikepeas
Jsor
Random Stranger
Xenoborg
M_Gargantua
Zaggitz
legoman727
One Swell Foop
Fucknag
Andwhatiseeisme
thexerox123
Ohtsam
Overmayor
NeuroticLich

B
Soothing Vapors
Weird Sandwich
Evil Sagan
FreezingInferno
Regy Rusty
Go RV!
Rarity
Adder Moray

C
Senerio
Sighence

Adhuin 7
ohtsam 7
Adder Moray 7
jng2058 8
Random Stranger 8
one Swell Foop 8
Fucknag 8
Zaggitz 9
FreezingInferno 9
Legoman727 9
thexerox123 9
overmayor 9
Go RV 9
Rarity 9
Soothing Vapors 10
Senerio 10
M_Gargantua 10
Evil Sagan 10
Andwhatiseeisme 10
BSam 11
Xenoborg 11
Regy Rusty 11
NeuroticLich 11
Jsor 11
idonotlikepeas 12
Sighence 14
Weird Sandwich 16

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So who would donate their face to the library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I can see the complaints that the Vashta Nerada share some traits with past Moffat monsters (the non-sequitur chanting in particular) but there are so many new and interesting ideas in Silence in the Library that I can't really see it as a retread. You have The Girl, the data ghosts, the face-pillars and so on.

e: I also admire how all of those elements are designed to horrify children.

The face pillars come from the same idea as the use of body parts aboard the SS Madame de Pompadour.

I didn't find this episode a retread, although it does have a few of his usual tics. I think he's far from being a one trick pony, but he does tend to use a lot of his ideas at once. You could easily have an episode based on the Vashta Nerada alone; there's nothing about them that requires the inclusion of a non-linear relationship.

• Locked thread