Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
After seeing Occ freak out about its greatness a while ago I finally got some downtime to watch it.

HOLY poo poo GUYS BROADCHURCH IS REALLY GOOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

And Gracepoint...wasn't terrible

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who
Series 2

I've mentioned this numerous times, but it really does feel like a point I need to stress is how negative I was coming out of Series 1 of Doctor Who. My mood was acidic; I had just wasted 13 hours of my life on insufferable garbage that ended with a character that the showrunner didn't even attempt to dimensionalize or have the audience care for getting to become God and solve everything with a literal wave of her literal hand. The fact that this showrunner was now going to dominate my TV-watching and reviewing for the next several months, at least, with a new actor playing the Doctor (and one who, according to Oxxidation, was far, far worse an actor) was the cherry on my poo poo sundae. The joke of my being forced to watch a show I hated for internet amusement had run its course; at this point, continuing to watch a show I completely despised on every level, with a showrunner who had no loving earthly idea what he was doing, had crossed the line into masochism. I was close, I was very very close, to quitting entirely; Oxxidation's warnings about the quality (or lack thereof) of Series 2 practically sealed it.

And then David Tennant, the Tenth Doctor, exploded onto the scene in "The Christmas Invasion". "Exploded" is most definitely the right word to describe what he did; the man is manic energy personified, less an actor and more of a cosmic force. His first true scene of Doctor Who, when the Tenth Doctor awakens from his "The Parting of the Ways" induced coma, was so personally appealing to me- Ten's childlike wonderment, his hyperactive grinning, mugging, and cavorting, his strange self-centeredness...everything about him spoke to me so deeply, resonated with me so completely that I was immediately on board with Tennant's Doctor and Series 2 in general.

Russell T. Davies in Series 1 clearly had no, or very little, idea how to write to Christopher Eccleston's Doctor. Due to this either miscommunication or misunderstanding of intention, the entirety of Series 1 was infected with this completely schizophrenic tone that swung wildly between utter camp and serious, emotional drama, often within the same episode and sometimes even within the same scene. No better example of this is more clear than in the strangely lauded "Boom Town", which people rather bizarrely like to claim is somehow emotional or nuanced when the much-admired "emotional punch" scene is one in which a fat farty alien shoots poison-finger darts at a shouty British alien who doesn't even stop eating his dinner, only pausing to make bad puns.

Eccleston was ultimately miscast as the Ninth Doctor; Tennant, in contrast, from his very first episode, is completely in line with the campy, schlocky nature of the show RTD wanted to make, and the fact that he gets RTD's aims makes Series 2 immediately and permanently qualitatively above its predecessor, at least to me.

As Oxx said in his "The Christmas Invasion" review, Tennant is an RTD Doctor through and through, and it shows. Eccleston couldn't make the emotional beats land not from any failures in his performance, but from the mere fact that his performance, itself, was completely and utterly dissonant from the stories that RTD was attempting to tell in his first season showrunning, both tonally and executionally.

The emotional beats, almost to a one, in Series 1 failed to land solely due to the fact that Eccleston was a Serious performer doing a Serious interpretation of some inherently silly as poo poo material, and nobody told him to interpret that material in the tongue-in-cheek and slightly hammy manner it deserved.

Contrast to Tennant, in all three of his seasons but especially his first, who just got what Davies was going for and played to that role to the full. The Tenth Doctor is an absurd caricature of a human being, shouting constantly, preening and cavorting to and around the camera, and it's completely and utterly tonally keeping with the show RTD ultimately wanted Doctor Who to be. This sillier, more lighthearted take on the Doctor was a breath of fresh air from the much, much more dour Ninth Doctor, and Ten's more childlike, immature sensibilities made the production as a whole gel more cohesively than Nine's.

Series 2 is a huge step up in quality from Series 1, in every aspect. Tennant as The Doctor is much, much better cast than Eccleston. Billie Piper, in her second and final season on Doctor Who as a series regular, is finally comfortable with the role that she's been written and, suprisingly, shows off her comedic chops (which are, surprisingly, incredibly strong) in addition to her more dramatic moments, which are actually incredibly well-executed. The cinematography is better, the stories themselves are more varied (they're still not great but at least they take some narrative chances occasionally), and the writing is just flat-out better all around. The arc words of Series 2, "Torchwood/The Torchwood Institute", feel narratively cohesive and well-formulated and executed over the random, pointless bullshit of "Bad Wolf". And, finally, the finale of Series 2 is genuinely pretty great over the loving reprehensible garbage of "The Parting of the Ways".

Of course, this being Doctor Who, not everything in Series 2 is good, and as a matter of fact a lot of it is outright bad. Sure, Series 2 as a whole is better in every respect than Series 1, but on a specific episode-to-episode basis the highs of Series 2 don't reach the highs of Series 1. The tradeoff that the viewer gets when getting a slightly worse, more exaggerated actor as The Doctor means that Series 2 doesn't get the lightning-in-a-bottle episodes like "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances". Sure, there's far less atrocious episodes in Series 2, especially in comparison to Series 1, which had "Rose/The End of the World/Aliens of London/World War Three/Boom Town/Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways", aka a full half of the season, but instead we get far more mediocre episodes: "Tooth and Claw/School Reunion/The Idiot's Lantern/Fear Her" are almost distinctive in how not distinctive they are. The annualized Moffat story is probably the weakest of the four he wrote; I still think "The Girl in the Fireplace" is a fine, fine piece of televised entertainment but in comparison to the three others that aired during the RTD era it's a distinctly lesser story, especially when one directly compares it to the two-parter he had written in the previous season, which was and still is some genuinely, unironically fantastic storytelling. Billie Piper's Rose is much, much better written in Series 2 (as in, she's actually written at all), but in a downright bizarre decision RTD decided to add in Noel Clarke's Mickey as a second Companion, despite Mickey having the personality and backbone of a wet sheet of paper, only to summarily write him out of the show entirely not three episodes later.

It's hard to figure out why, exactly, Mickey was added in as a Companion; he's explicitly revealed to be comically useless as a Companion and mostly serves as a source of mockery for everyone else. The only conclusion I can come to as to why he was added at all was to add more emotional and/or dramatic stakes to the Doctor/Rose romance that was a major character arc of Series 2; as a reminder, Mickey is still ostensibly Rose's boyfriend as she tries to more and more openly sleep with The Doctor as the season continues, so maybe he was added on as a sort of three-episode automatic roadblock to romantic progression before he abandoned everyone for the alternate universe? Like, literally, he's just a literal breathing plot device that prevented the two mains from boning for three episodes, because that's the only logical reason I can determine why RTD would choose the single most useless, undefined, and pointless side character to suddenly bump up to "Companion" status, in a completely confusing move, only to just as confusingly three episodes later cut that character from the show entirely. It's like, why bother? And the logical answer then becomes: Because it's meant to service Rose, of course.

I don't have the hate for Rose that many, including my illustrious co-reviewer, do, but it's hard to look back on Series 2 Rose and try to separate out the stuff that happens to her character after this season. As this is Rose's final season on the show, a lot of the focus of the season is, naturally, on her and her journey. This is, mostly speaking, done well; the problem that I run into when looking back on Series 2 having finished watching Series 4 and the Year of Specials is is that I'm of two minds about Rose as a character. I think, speaking solely for Series 2, that Rose's arc ends well, and that the romance stuff was actually handled pretty realistically and progressed nicely; sure, some will complain about The Doctor being unable to fall in love or whatever, but to me, a guy who's never seen one minute of the Classic stuff the romance aspect was actually handled fairly well and maturely in Series 2. I thought, and still think at the the time, that "Doomsday" was a fairly great episode of television that wrote Rose out in a way that was compelling, that serviced her character in a bittersweet and emotionally touching way, that really closed the Rose chapter of RTD's time on Who in a definitive and courageous way.

If I had written this season in review right after Series 2 ended, that would be the end of my statements vis a vis Rose. But I didn't write this after I watched Series 2; I wrote it two seasons afterwards. And that's the problem, because I know where Rose's arc truly, finally ends and it's not here. And, moreover, the things I want to write about Series 2, especially the positive things about Rose- how she finally becomes a character, how she finally becomes independent and at least moderately intelligent, how she gains a personality, how all things considered the romance angle between her and Ten was handled as well as it realistically could have- ultimately, how she was a good Companion and character in Series 2, one that earned the ending she got -that's all undercut by the stuff that happens to her in Series 4. I feel like a hypocrite for saying Rose is a good, positive character who is dimensionalized well in Series 2, in a lot of ways an aspirational character- one who is representative of some of the best qualities of the human spirit. Because, I know when the Series 4 review rolls around, I'm going to write about Rose in "Journey's End" from the exact opposite perspective- that she's, whether intentionally or not (almost certainly not, because RTD isn't that nuanced a writer), representative of all the worst traits humanity has to offer, as a dark counterpoint to Donna's character.

It probably makes me a hypocrite to say this now, but I think Rose was great in Series 2 and her character arc ended just about as well as it could or should have. The notes that RTD hit with her character within this season were, all in all, pretty striking, and she has some absolute standout moments within it- the Impossible Planet two-parter, most notably. Sure, all of that awesome character development is undercut or walked back in the Series 4 finale, but that's just representative of the schizophrenic tone RTD has established on a per-season basis; Series 1 is as different from Series 2 as Series 2 from Series 3, as Series 3 is from Series 4. There's no real throughline or overarcing sense of tone when comparing seasons, so just because of the fact that I think Series 4 Rose is a bad character despite thinking Series 2 Rose is a good one, I don't necessarily think that's a hypocritical point of view to have, since the executional difference between both seasons is night and day.

Series 2, overall, is RTD finding his gear. Despite some major missteps- it must be noted that the Cybermen suck and always have, and bringing them back for a two-parter that also involved a major plotline devoted to alternate universe Mickey's struggles with traffic tickets was one of the bigger mistakes of the show's run -it was overall a much, much more enjoyable season than the one before it. This is also despite the, as aforementioned, highs of Series 2 being distinctly lower than the highs of Series 1- it turns out that I'd much rather prefer a show to be often middling and sometimes great rather than often terrible and sometimes fantastic.

No Series 2 review is complete, however, without mentioning "Love and Monsters". It says something to how much I appreciate, and how much more I appreciate, Series 2 that even with the arguable worst episode of Doctor Who ever made in "Love and Monsters" I still enjoy this season much, much more than the previous. But, wow, holy poo poo is "Love and Monsters" just pure loving garbage. Just a rancid sack of bullshit masquerading as televised entertainment. Just loving horrible. Jesus Christ.

My takeaway from Series 2, though, as a whole, is that it was the beginning of my appreciation- my true appreciation -for what Doctor Who wanted to be. Series 1 was too frequently awful, too frequently incoherent either narratively, tonally, or both for me to grasp why there were fans of the show. Series 2, in contrast, made an impressive argument for why people should care about this British shouty children's sci-fi programme -there were glimmers of excellence, and the quality as a whole was much more solid, led by the absolutely wondrous "The Christmas Invasion". Series 2 made me understand Doctor Who, in a way I had never done over an entire season beforehand. That's why I appreciate it. I don't love it, but I appreciate it.

Season Grade: B

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Can anyone who's read The Writer's Tale or something shed a little light on the Mickey-Companion situation? His brief and unceremonious tenure in the Doctor's company is a persistent enigma to Occ and I.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Toxxupation posted:

Eccleston was ultimately miscast as the Ninth Doctor
You are WRONG and It seems that we differ.

quote:

Eccleston was ultimately miscast as the Ninth Doctor; Tennant, in contrast, from his very first episode, is completely in line with the campy, schlocky nature of the show RTD wanted to make, and the fact that he gets RTD's aims
No two of us are going to agree on who the great Doctors are and who the terrible Doctors are. However, the assumption that RTD didn't get exactly what he wanted from Eccleston needs proof. If you look at the episodes RTD commissioned (including Empty Child/The Doctor Dances) and the episodes he wrote (including Father's Day), they don't support your thesis. Tennant's performance would have been wrong for all the episodes I list. The first season was, quite intentionally judging by the themes of the episodes, about a tragic Doctor with flashes of comedy. Tennant was about a comic, hubrist-stuffed Doctor with moments of grimdark.

RTD changed the show's tone between the Ninth Doctor and the Tenth. That's no proof that the Ninth Doctor had a different tone than RTD wanted. It is, at most, proof that what RTD wanted changed. Doctor Who fans (no true Scotsman) expect a different personality and tone from each new Doctor. Pertwee is not a failed Baker. Baker is not a failed Davison. And Eccleston is not a failed Tennant.

I'm not just hugboxing "All of us have different opinions and that is awesome". I'm pointing out the gulf between "Doctor X is MY Doctor" and "Doctor Y didn't execute the showrunner's intention."

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

My assumption was Mickey was briefly a full companion so that, in theory, you'd feel more sad when he left.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Little_wh0re posted:

My assumption was Mickey was briefly a full companion so that, in theory, you'd feel more sad when he left.

Hahahaha

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

RTD changed the show's tone between the Ninth Doctor and the Tenth. That's no proof that the Ninth Doctor had a different tone than RTD wanted. It is, at most, proof that what RTD wanted changed. Doctor Who fans (no true Scotsman) expect a different personality and tone from each new Doctor. Pertwee is not a failed Baker. Baker is not a failed Davison. And Eccleston is not a failed Tennant.

I'm not just hugboxing "All of us have different opinions and that is awesome". I'm pointing out the gulf between "Doctor X is MY Doctor" and "Doctor Y didn't execute the showrunner's intention."

He didn't really change the tone, though. Series 2 still has a lot of moral rumminating and Series 1 has the Slitheen, one of the campiest, most childish things the show has produced. They're played entirely for fart jokes in the middle of a plot about a hidden invasion of human government, and a few episodes later the Doctor has a serious moral debate that's entirely undercut by the fact that it's with a fart monster.

I think the issue was that RTD didn't didn't know how to strike the balance between the camp and melodrama. Eccleston is a great serious actor, but his acting isn't melodramatic in the way Tennant's is. It's serious and grounded and doesn't fit in a world with fart monsters. Tennant isn't as great a serious actor in Who because he and RTD understood by Series 2 that the drama had to be camp as well to match the tone.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Practical Demon posted:

a serious moral debate that's entirely undercut by the fact that it's with a fart monster.

This is probably too long for a thread title, which is truly a shame.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Oxxidation posted:

Can anyone who's read The Writer's Tale or something shed a little light on the Mickey-Companion situation? His brief and unceremonious tenure in the Doctor's company is a persistent enigma to Occ and I.

The Writer's Tale only covers from the production of S4 (during the airing of S3) onwards.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

and the episodes he wrote (including Father's Day)

Paul Cornell wrote Father's Day

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You are WRONG and It seems that we differ.

No two of us are going to agree on who the great Doctors are and who the terrible Doctors are. However, the assumption that RTD didn't get exactly what he wanted from Eccleston needs proof. If you look at the episodes RTD commissioned (including Empty Child/The Doctor Dances) and the episodes he wrote (including Father's Day), they don't support your thesis. Tennant's performance would have been wrong for all the episodes I list. The first season was, quite intentionally judging by the themes of the episodes, about a tragic Doctor with flashes of comedy. Tennant was about a comic, hubrist-stuffed Doctor with moments of grimdark.

Except that he didn't really change the tone of the writing or anything, it was the shift from Eccleston's "serious mode" doctor, to Tennants "serious mode" doctor that made the biggest difference (in my opinion). The story actually follows very similar tones in terms of the writing, it's just that the difference in performance results in a totally different scene while going for similar things.

To me I think the big reason I like 10 more than 9 comes down to Eccleston's doctor is awesome in an already established doctor who universe. If that season had come out now? I'd be super about *why* this doctor was like this. As an introduction without an established universe with history I know about, I didn't give a flying gently caress about the doctors past or pain or whatever, and while it was technically explained, the doctor's tragicness/the time war wasn't really *gone into* in a way that made me feel like it explained his actions until probably around the first Master episode in Tennants' run.

E: Oh hey Practical Demon, guess we're "season 2 didn't change the tone that much" buddies.

surc fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 18, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I'm currently reading a book called "T is for Television" which a sort of biography of Russell T Davies, but only insofar as biographical information informs on his television output.

The feeling I'm getting from it so far (I'm up to Queer as Folk) is that Davies fundamentally and unconditionally loves television in all of its forms (not always all of its content, but all of its forms certainly), so when it came to Doctor Who he probably decided that - in subsequent series, this is less true for series 1 which is probably connected to Oxx's dislike - he would just throw absolutely everything at it in every episode. Comedy, drama, science fiction, soap, everything.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

... so when it came to Doctor Who he probably decided that - in subsequent series, this is less true for series 1 which is probably connected to Oxx's dislike - he would just throw absolutely everything at it in every episode. Comedy, drama, science fiction, soap, everything.

That's actually really interesting, and shines a totally different light on all of the problems in S1. I am just going to go ahead and take that as the truth, because it will make re-watching S1 way more interesting!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I'll report back tomorrow after I've read the rest

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Paul Cornell wrote Father's Day

Aiiieeee. My brains, they are mush. Substitute The End of the World, which is still not suited to Tennant.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I actually think you could just drag and replace Tennant into The End of the World and it would be nearly the same episode. Can't you just picture him doing the "everything has its time...and everything ends" bit?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The feeling I'm getting from it so far (I'm up to Queer as Folk) is that Davies fundamentally and unconditionally loves television in all of its forms
He'd marry television if he could. I think that's one of the reasons he took every opportunity possible to throw in cameos from television personalities (or just people who appeared regularly on TV; he gave Derek Acorah a cameo, for gently caress's sake!)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Eccleston does show shades of the Tenth Doctor by his final adventure. Like when the daleks mention that he has no plan and he responds, "that's right, and doesn't that just scare ya to death?"

When written that he has thrown away all the emotional baggage and has nothing to lose, Nine does show a bit of Ten's manic energy. But likewise, Ten isn't always shouty and exploding and it's when they try to make serious tones with Tennant that the show starts struggling.

I think if you look at Dalek and Father's Day you see episodes that distinctively work better with Eccleston's delivery.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bicyclops posted:

This is probably too long for a thread title, which is truly a shame.
"Serious Moral Debate Undercut by a Fart Monster" fits, though

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 18, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is now six dollars on Steam

I feel like this is a cheap enough price to stress to everyone who has a computer that can run it that it's completely and utterly worth that price

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Why should I trust you? You have slightly different opinions on a very divisive (amongst the nerded gentry) television programme

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Toxxupation posted:

I feel like this is a cheap enough price to stress to everyone who has a computer that can run it that it's completely and utterly worth that price

Oh, sweet! I'm getting a new machine for Xmas and I might as well get MGR while it's cheap!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Why should I trust you? You have slightly different opinions on a very divisive (amongst the nerded gentry) television programme

Think of it as a price to pay for right to complain about his lovely gaming taste!
(Also it's only 4€ for Europeans)

EDIT: GAH!!! 24 gigs! What kind of monstrosity is this?

Issaries fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 18, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RypphRK14t8

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I absolutely agree that if Rose had never returned after season 2 she would have had a really strong character arc (I always argue you can't look at her seasons individually, you have to take into account season one AND two) but RTD just couldn't resist, he HAD to go back to the well and dilute what was perfectly fine. What made it worse for me was that in season 4 the Rose we got was clearly more based on the concept of the character than the actual character herself, if that makes any sense. RTD spent most of season 3 having the Doctor pine over an idealized version of the very human Rose, and then in season 4 the character who comes back is written like that idealized concept and not the Rose I remember from across season one and two.

Oxxidation posted:

I haven't read it, but here's my own take on Mickey as a character.

I think the intent (whether initially there or thought of later) was to take a character who was basically a perfectly nice and good guy and see how he reacts when he is rejected by his girlfriend because that isn't enough (and that isn't meant to be an indictment of Rose). Mickey when we first see him is completely and totally satisfied with his life in every way - he's got a job he likes, he has mates, he's got a pretty girlfriend who he really cares for and possibly even loves. But he's completely stationary, he isn't going anywhere because he doesn't want to go anywhere, and he can't understand or even respect that Rose wants more. Their final exchange in the first episode is actually quite cruel - "Thanks" "For what?" "Exactly" - but that was in his first episode and he was very badly served by that, treated like a coward and an idiot by the show.

In subsequent episodes in season one, we see how he has been affected by Rose's absence, which was something the show had never really done before with a companion - yeah her mother suffered horribly, but Mickey perhaps even more because everybody assumed that he had killed her and dumped the body somewhere. That seemed like the start of an attempt to redeem the character, and I always liked Mickey's self-aware decision to turn down the 9th Doctor's offer to him to join them in the TARDIS, knowing it wasn't the kind of like he could deal with. In season 2, he's finally reaching a point where he is no longer satisfied with his lot in life, because for the first time he's seeing himself how Rose (unfairly) sees him - a nobody going nowhere - and it is in School Reunion where the whole "I'm the tin dog :aaa:" revelation happens and he finally gets up the guts to take a step he's not entirely comfortable with just so he can see if there is more out there he could be. It's not so much for Rose as for himself, this is very much about Mickey dealing with his own issues for a change instead of running after Rose, but he does so by trying to emulate Rose and the Doctor and not what he himself is comfortable with. So when he goes to the alternate reality and discovers a version of his family AND a task he can call his own (hunting down the Cybermen) he leaps at it, because he knows there is no chance with Rose and he can't live the type of life that she covets and the Doctor so easily inhabits.

His return to his own universe at the end of season 4 feels like closure. He's gone through all that and come out the other side and funnily enough he's back where he started - satisfied with his life and his place in it and perfectly happy to live it... only now he actually has experienced other things and been out in the wider universe, and that makes all the difference for him. Just like with Rose though, RTD couldn't resist bringing him back again, and his little cameo in The End of Time and his marriage to Martha (which comes absolutely out of nowhere) is just a waste, and makes me think that the character arc he had happened more by coincidence than design.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 19, 2014

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Live in ignorance,
And purchase your happiness.
When time and money is the real cost,
Thinking ceases, the truth is lost.

Don’t you worry,
You’ll be told exactly what to buy.
I give my people the games they need,
The righteous will succeed.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

Live in ignorance,
And purchase your happiness.
When time and money is the real cost,
Thinking ceases, the truth is lost.

Don’t you worry,
You’ll be told exactly what to buy.
I give my people the games they need,
The righteous will succeed.

not an emptyquote

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

...his marriage to Martha (which comes absolutely out of nowhere) is just a waste, and makes me think that the character arc he had happened more by coincidence than design.

I keep trying to give them the benefit of the doubt on this scene, but I just can't do it. On the one hand, I assume they were trying to cram all the Tennant side-characters they could into the end, and so sure throw mickey into whatever of the shots you can, and make up some reason for him to be there. On the other hand, it makes no loving sense whatsoever for them to be together (Pretty sure they've never even met before on camera? ), and no matter what the intent of the scene may or may not have been, having the two black characters on the show with basically nothing else in common and no chemistry end up married is pretty loving racist. Daviessssssssssssss! :argh:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The intent of the scene was to make one last "Smith and Jones" joke.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Sadly still overpowered by race, but at least the goal was noble :unsmith:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah, I feel like that scene gets too much attention for what it is. For all its thousands of failings, this is a show that is pretty progressive about interracial exchanges of bodily slopfluids, they weren't just slapping the two black characters together because RTD secretly thinks that is the natural order

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah, I feel like that scene gets too much attention for what it is. For all its thousands of failings, this is a show that is pretty progressive about interracial exchanges of bodily slopfluids, they weren't just slapping the two black characters together because RTD secretly thinks that is the natural order

Yeah, they were just slapping the characters together because they were the leftovers.

I always disliked it more because it just felt like a disservice to the characters.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

*narrows eyes*

It's about time you and I settled our differences, partner. I don't rightly remember what you were addle-headed about, but I reckon you and I have come to differences over an episode or two, so i can't let you go on living. I think you were slightly less forgiving of the comedic episodes and I was slightly more forgiving on Moffat, maybe, but either way, you are wrong enough that it's my duty as a man to hit you with a brick.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

On the other hand if your computer can't run it it will go at a perfectly smooth half speed. So maybe that's worth the price too, maybe you'll find that funny. I didn't when I paid at least twice that for it.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

As a point of emphasis, this boss fight comes, like, ten minutes into the game.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

*narrows eyes*

It's about time you and I settled our differences, partner. I don't rightly remember what you were addle-headed about, but I reckon you and I have come to differences over an episode or two, so i can't let you go on living. I think you were slightly less forgiving of the comedic episodes and I was slightly more forgiving on Moffat, maybe, but either way, you are wrong enough that it's my duty as a man to hit you with a brick.

Bring it on, young man.

Also I bought the game, I'll report back when I get around to playing it in 3 years time

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Also bought it.

Unrelated, but is little_whore doing the grade scores again? To the same email as last time?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I was gonna do a post sunday about it but yeah I'll be doing something

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

This is actually a key point to clarify, because so many people either don't get it, or just hand-wave it away as being overly-pc. You can create something that contributes to racism without intending for it to be racist.
White people often get super obsessed over not being called racist, and as a result are basically unwilling to look at the ways that things we just view as "normal" or "not a big deal" contribute to the institutionalized racism we live in, in gigantic ways.

It's an especially huge problem with the media-heavy way society is now, because media travels so far so fast, and people create whole personas based on the media they consume. Please do not lose sight of the importance of this in a rush to defend a show you like against being criticized, or fall into a "well it doesn't seem racist to me, so it's not racist!" way of thinking. :ohdear:

surc fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Bring it on, young man.

Also I bought the game, I'll report back when I get around to playing it in 3 years time

My opinions are beyond reproach and it's worth bumping revengeance up in the queue, IMO

• Locked thread