Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Payndz posted:

the Class 117 diesel multiple unit seen in the episode was retired from mainline service in 2000 and was in British Railways green livery to boot. :spergin:

yeah see they had to keep them in service due to budget cuts caused by the funding of the torchwood energy weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Payndz posted:

and :spergin: the Class 117 diesel multiple unit seen in the episode was retired from mainline service in 2000 and was in British Railways green livery to boot. :spergin:

MikeJF posted:

yeah see they had to keep them in service due to budget cuts caused by the funding of the torchwood energy weapon

These are the two nerdiest posts in this entire thread. Go on. :allears:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Payndz posted:

Flatline was a great episode, made all the better for sounding really stupid as a premise ("Two-dimension aliens invade our universe, causing the TARDIS to shrink!") and then turning out to be genuinely creepy and unsettling. The only things wrong with it were that yep, "the Boneless" is a terrible name, and :spergin: the Class 117 diesel multiple unit seen in the episode was retired from mainline service in 2000 and was in British Railways green livery to boot. :spergin:

I just assumed it was a preserved railway. That for some reason had empty DMUS trundling around it...

Or I could have asked my friends in Bristol if they really did have weird time warp trains running around the place.

(But yeah, great episode and a fantastic pair of episodes from a new writer :) )

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 12, 2015

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Occ should check out Contradiction. Partly because it's a pretty neat little murder mystery game and mostly because the lead actor looks like he watched Tennant play the Doctor and went "yeah, that's how you act well."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i have

also it has a blonde matt smith

man that game is weird

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Payndz posted:

"the Boneless" is a terrible name

Man I love that as a name for them, since it sums up the Doctor's contempt for them pretty nicely in addition to their actual physical nature. Part of that may be because the naming is wrapped up in that excellent, excellent, excellent, excellent, excellent banishment scene when the Doctor strides out of the TARDIS to put paid to them, because that scene was excellent.

Excellent.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm far more high-functioning than that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It was neat to see Capadi give a Big Speech that seemed to have been pulled out of the Tennant years; and on top of it all knock it out of the park.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

i have

also it has a blonde matt smith

man that game is weird

Simon from Contradiction is what would happen if a tumblr fangirl accidentally created the love child of Benedict Cumberbatch and Matt Smith by wishing really hard or something

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This thread awakens me to new things.

Somebody made an FMV game in TYOOL 2015?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
FMV has been having a little bit of a resurgence lately, with Contradiction and Her Story this year and Roundabout last year, as well as a bunch of lovely XBLIG and Mobile games

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Don't get her story, btw

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

FMV has been having a little bit of a resurgence lately, with Contradiction and Her Story this year and Roundabout last year, as well as a bunch of lovely XBLIG and Mobile games

Plus roundabout has at least two goons as voice actors

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
No mention of Telsa Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I liked Clara's subplot though. I've always liked the "fine you be the rear end in a top hat" gimmick plot. Much like fish out of water plots it tickles something exploratory in my psyche.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Paul.Power posted:

Or I could have asked my friends in Bristol if they really did have weird time warp trains running around the place.

We do not.

Jamie Mathieson single-handedly rescued this series for me. Flatline is exactly what I want Doctor Who to be like all the time - Actual Sci-Fi Concepts, Written Well.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Little_wh0re posted:

Plus roundabout has at least two goons as voice actors

2? Hah!

Roundabout is LP Subforum: The Game.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Yeah there are 5 goon VA's, at least 4 live goon actors, the entire dev team is goons and the pedestrian audio is at least half goons

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This episode's also an example of how good they've gotten at managing the Doctor-lite episodes. This was this season's. Basically all in the console room for him.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And of course Mummy was the Clara-lite one. Funny how one guy did both of them. And funny how they both turned out to be amazing.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

Don't get her story, btw

I will never look at a hairbrush the same way again

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I wonder if the episode Mathieson writes next series will also involve trains in some capacity. Maybe trains make Doctor Who episodes better.

I suppose there must be a lot of overlap between train likers and Doctor Who fans.

I don't really have a point to make, this episode is good, thanks for your time.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

LeafyOrb posted:

I suppose there must be a lot of overlap between train likers and Doctor Who fans.
Well, they are both nerdy things that are niche in America but buried deep in British culture by now.

Perhaps Matheson's two-parter next season will be a period piece from the 60s or earlier that uses a preserved steam railway as a location :allears:.

quote:

Yeah there are 5 goon VA's, at least 4 live goon actors
Wow, more than I thought, I only knew about medibot, Psychedelic Eyeball, Geop, dave_o and Delicious Bees cameo-ing in his own game.

Makes sense that there'd be more and I wouldn't be as familiar with their voices, though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Barry Foster posted:

We do not.

Jamie Mathieson single-handedly rescued this series for me. Flatline is exactly what I want Doctor Who to be like all the time - Actual Sci-Fi Concepts, Written Well.

:agreed:

Mathieson for new showrunner!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Look what happened the last time someone wrote two good scripts and became showrunner.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Look what happened the last time someone wrote two good scripts and became showrunner.

A marked overall improvement in quality and popularity?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm just saying, taking a good writer and burdening him with production and budget management would only be detrimental.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm just saying, taking a good writer and burdening him with production and budget management would only be detrimental.

To that particular writer but but a net benefit to the show? It's been worth it so far.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How about we keep getting him to write, but get someone with showrunning / management experience to handle the production side of things?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How about we keep getting him to write, but get someone with showrunning / management experience to handle the production side of things?

You mean have an exec producer and a script editor? It'll never work.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Maybe let RTD come back for that kind of thing, he's drat good at it. Maybe he can write an episode now and then if he behaves himself.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yvonmukluk posted:

Maybe let RTD come back for that kind of thing, he's drat good at it. Maybe he can write an episode now and then if he behaves himself.

"So it's this story set on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere with a small research team, and then they find a casket and spooky things happen, and it turns out there's actually NINETY BILLION DALEKS INSIDE AND THE WHOLE WORLD-"
"Russell! No, bad!" <hits with rolled up newspaper>

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

"So it's this story set on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere with a small research team, and then they find a casket and spooky things happen, and it turns out there's actually NINETY BILLION DALEKS INSIDE AND THE WHOLE WORLD-"

YOU GET FOUR DALEKS TO PLAY WITH

Max
Nov 30, 2002

MikeJF posted:

YOU GET FOUR DALEKS TO PLAY WITH

Having three or four gave us the Cybermen/Dalek shouting match, before the other elventy billion were released, so that seems fine.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Look, we both know that would would actually happen is:

"Can we get children to sing a creepy nursery rhyme about ninety billion Daleks for the previous thirteen eight three episodes? Incidentally, we can now only afford to film three episodes. Also let's throw in the Weeping Angels for some reason."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who
"Flatline"
Series 8, Episode 9

"Perspective" is the word of the day in "Flatline". The literal: the antagonists are creatures from a universe with only two dimensions, the episode is full of forced-perspective tricks and images. The figurative: Clara pretends to be The Doctor, and the differences in how she's perceived both by others and by herself forms the emotional backbone of "Flatline". It all forms a neat whole that manages to, on every level, impart the thematic narrative of the piece. Everything ties together.

Perspective is an inherently dishonest thing. Every viewpoint is subjective. Witness testimony, in criminal cases, is notoriously unreliable. People see only what they're able to see, and often times not even then. An entire medium of art - cinema - only exists because the human eye can be fooled into thinking that separate still frames, when viewed at a rate of twenty-four or more a second, have motion between them. The eye literally fills in the gaps. That's how movies work. That's how tv works. That's how video games work. It's illusory, a con, a trick. Magic, another art form that plays on the faultiness of a single viewer's perspective.

The brain fills in the gaps, too. People see not only what they're able to see but what they want to see. They focus on the pretty girl in the low-cut tank top. They tune out the blaring headphones on the bus. They validate themselves. They idolize others, stripping away the flaws. They justify and make excuses. They lie.

Which gives us Clara, the ur-example. The most dishonest and delusional of the Companions that we've seen, Clara is defined by her capacity for deception, self- and otherwise. Clara is an interesting Companion in a lot of ways; for my money, though, what makes her the most enticing is how she's not really good. Companions are virginal, grounding forces; they exist to impart a moralistic perspective to The Doctor and that's...kind of...it. They're the "human" element, meant to reign in The Doctor from his own worst excesses. They're the annoying voice in his ear, the Na'Vi to The Doctor's Link, yelling "Hey! Listen! Committing genocide is Bad!" until he finally decides to go along with the program. Which, to be clear, Clara does, but more out of obligation than anything else.

Clara lies. Clara lies a lot, to everyone else - especially Danny, but also The Doctor - and to herself. She lies for increasingly less justifiable reasons. Danny doesn't like The Doctor at all, but he clearly respects him and loves Clara, and understands her fixation on him. Danny's a permissive and reasonable person, which makes the fact that Clara's lying to him about travelling with The Doctor all the more confusing. The only coherent explanation is is that Clara is so fixated, so obsessed with The Doctor that she's willing to sacrifice everyone and everything around her, even unnecessarily, to be close to him. And this is why she's so unique, because it's such a self-destructive move on her part. A Companion being obsessed with The Doctor to the point of toxic desire is not a unique character trait, but with Clara it's self-evidently negative and a clear decision she's making.

The sense I've gathered from Season 8 Clara is that, unlike all of her predecessors, she doesn't want to help The Doctor, or date The Doctor. She wants to be The Doctor. Which sort of explains her own worst excesses. Clara doesn't really seem to much like Twelve; she stays with him mostly for the same reason that an adult would stay with a particularly unruly child- because he'll hurt either himself or someone else if left to his own devices. She elects to jump aboard with The Doctor at the end of "Mummy on the Orient Express" as a sort of weird form of transference, hoping that The Doctor's Time Lordiness would somehow rub off on her in the process.

Rule one. The Doctor lies. Which explains Clara's lovely behavior to the people close to her; she's subconsciously modelling herself after her hero. The person she places on a pedestal in her own mind. So she lies and manipulates and tolerates Twelve because he's the closest thing she's got to that internalized ideal, and in the process forcing everyone else out with her own lovely behavior. She's slowly turning into The Doctor, or at least the version of The Doctor she thinks is real.

And that's before she literally (figuratively) becomes The Doctor, here in "Flatline". Jamie Mathieson, the writer for "Mummy on the Orient Express", ended up the writer for this episode as well. There's a clear two-episode arc starring Clara, dealing with how she's embracing her darker, or more destructive impulses. It's something that's been teased since the first episode of this season, since her initial hesitant decision to stay with Twelve (spurred on, in no small part, by Eleven, The Lying Doctor), continuing through her developing romantic relationship with (and attendant lying to) Danny Pink, to the denouement of "Mummy", where she cheerfully deceives the two most important men in her life as she decides to continue aboard. It's all in service of the person she thinks she wants to be, the Time Lord that only exists in her head.

For her efforts, she gets her reward. Handed the sonic screwdriver and psychic paper and instructed to solve the episode's guiding mystery, being that Twelve is stuck in a toy-sized version of the TARDIS. You mine as well give Clara a fez and bow tie too.

Yes, Doctor Clara is the main character of "Flatline", being that The Doctor's stuck in the aforementioned dollhouse TARDIS. It's a decision that feels simultaneously appropriate, unique, and earned, a neat hat trick this episode pulls. The narrative investments that DW Series Eight has built pay narrative dividends in this episode. The conceit - creatures from a universe with only two dimensions are invading Earth (absorbing energy in the process, explaining the Shrinky Dink TARDIS), killing civilians along the way, works on both the thematic and the surface level.

"Flatline" is one of those episodes that feels truly genre. Much like "Blink" and "Listen", "Flatline" takes an alien concept and examines it fully. The two-dimensional creatures - named "The Boneless" by The Doctor during the episode's climax - come across as honestly bizarre. Who very rarely embraces its more fantastical conceits, opting instead to ground them via symbolism or simple reflection. Star Trek aliens is the modus operandi of DW. Most non-Earth creatures are very obviously humans with weird skin tone or facial markings. Most societies are roughly analogous to something on Earth. Most conflicts are relatable to a portion of the human experience. Most morals learned are presented as directly resonant to a problem humanity is currently facing. The list goes on.

The perspective. The perspective of DW is ethnocentric. The inversion of it produces the episode's most exciting hours, because they're so rare. The perspective has changed, and in the process so has the story. The viewpoint has shifted.

Clara achieves what she always wanted to achieve; for one hour, she becomes The Doctor. But in so doing she shifts her viewpoint. Shifts her perspective. Jenna Coleman's performance throughout "Flatline" changes; Clara's voice becomes more clipped. Her cadence, more measured. Her personality becomes more dour, more cynical. She's ruthless, manipulating others to get what she wants. She doesn't mince words, doesn't couch her demands in niceties. When questioned by The Doctor, when asked what she's going to do to help the group of community service miscreants caught up in The Boneless' path who form the human element of "Flatline", her first response is quintessentially Doctor: Lie. The Doctor lies. Clara is The Doctor. The transitive property; Clara lies.

Mathieson wastes no time expounding on the analogy. Not only is Clara changing from having become The Doctor, but the antagonists mutate as well. They grow, gaining a third dimension in the process; The Boneless expand their knowledge base over the episode, starting as two-dimensional wall snakes who swallow sofas and ending as uncanny valley mannequin corpses hunting humans in the climax. Mathieson wants to make one point, and he emphasizes it extremely well throughout "Flatline"'s run: what you see is not what is.

This filters down to the episode-specific characters. As stated before, they're a group of petty criminals who are forced into community service, overseen by Fenton (Christopher Fairbank), but they all turn out to be collectively the most moralistic of the key players (even moreso than Clara). Fenton, on the other hand, is implied to be the stock "old rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold", when it's instead reveals that he's instead just a mean idiot. The Doctor, too, spends much of the episode's runtime viewing The Boneless as misunderstood beings, misplaced in the universe and unable to communicate. His increasingly panicked justification for their behavior belies The Doctor's central misconception that drives the show - his misplaced belief that all beings are inherently good, or at least contain the capacity for reason - is what makes The Boneless'reveal that they are evil hit all the harder.

Mathieson has a point he wants to make, and he makes it well. He wants to illustrate to the audience how Clara's choices are changing her, and often for the worse, so makes the entire episode in service of Clara's thematic arc. The tricks the epsiode plays- the forced perspective, the villains, etc. - all exist as symbolism for the framework Mathieson builds around her story, to give her journey a relational underpinning to the episode. Mathieson is laser focused on telling the story of Clara through the stories of The Doctor, The Boneless, Rigsy (Jovian Wade), Fenton, and all the rest.

What's even more clever is how a story about Clara also ends up also being a story about The Doctor. Clara achieves her life's ambition, she becomes The Doctor for one episode. Mathieson frameworks this journey of self-discovery and how being The Doctor changes who Clara, fundamentally, is by also making a larger statement on who The Doctor is. As Clara excitedly points out in "Flatline"'s denouement, "I was The Doctor and I was good." It's The Doctor's response that gives clarity: "You were an exceptional Doctor, Clara...goodness had nothing to do with it."

Clara sees The Doctor as a shining beacon of morality, all of humanity's best qualities made manifest. She assumes that carrying his mantle allows her to be the same. The irony, of course, is that being The Doctor and being good are two different things. More than that, they're often at odds with each other; the cynical necessity of The Doctor's roles obligates him do amoral and at times outright horrendous things, things nobody has the capability or the willingness to do. Mathieson understands that completely, so crafts the denouement to be a subtle wakeup call to Clara, a reminder that being The Doctor doesn't make her into a decent human being, and the sacrifices that she's made in the process of achieving her goal weren't necessarily worth it.

Clara's perspective has shifted. She's a three-dimensional creature who temporarily became a four-dimensional being, much like The Boneless went from two to three. Her new insight gives her new understanding, and new worries. Is The Doctor good? The jury's still out, but "Flatline" asks a new question: Is Clara good? Judging from the way Missy expresses glee over her "choice" in Clara, probably not.

Grade: A

Random Thoughts:
  • It's really quite impressive that a freshman writer for Who not only managed to write two excellent episodes in his first season as staff writer, but that both ended up airing back-to-back. A remarkable accomplishment, to be sure.
  • "Flatline" also gives the audience a Twelve monologue, which differs from a Ten and Eleven monologue in several key ways. Ten's monologues are prone to bombast and reflective of the emotional extremes he went to; Eleven's were full of self-aggrandizement and played more on Doctor as concept over physical being. Twelve's are both rarer that his prior two incarnations and reflective of his base frustration with the world around him. He's very much an old professor with tenure hectoring the villains. His monologues have an informational quality to them, while still maintaining the pissant edge that defines The Twelfth Doctor.
  • The Doctor: "I tried to talk. I want you to remember that. I tried to reach out, I tried to understand you, but I think, that you, understand us perfectly. And I think that you just don't care. And I don't know whether you are here to invade, infiltrate, or just replace us. I don't suppose it really matters now. You are monsters; that is the role you seem determined to play. So it seems that I must play mine. The man that stops the monsters.

I'm sending you back to your own dimension. Who knows? Some of you may even survive the trip. And if you do, remember this: You are not welcome here. This plane is protected. I am The Doctor. And I name you...'The Boneless!'"
  • Rigsy: "It's, it's bigger. On the inside." The Doctor: "You know, I don't think that statement's ever been truer."
  • Clara: "Fine, I'll tell you who I am. I am the one chance you've got of staying alive. That's who I am."
  • The Doctor: "I don't mean edible pie, I mean circular pi. Which I realize would also mean edible pie but..."
  • The Doctor: "120 miles from where we should be! Impressive!" Clara: "No. Not impressive. Annoying." The Doctor: "No, this is impressive! This (motions to Clara) is annoying."
  • The Doctor: "Could you not just let me enjoy this moment of not knowing something? I mean, it happens so rarely."
  • Rigsy: "So uh...what are you a doctor of?" Clara: "Well, I'm usually quite vague about that. I think I just picked the title because it makes me sound important."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also I'd like specific feedback on this review if that's ok but want to be as vague as possible because i don't want to color people's opinions

also also

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yes, it's a great episode, but then again, aren't they all?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BSam posted:

Yes, it's a great episode, but then again, aren't they all?

I wish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

"I am the Doctor! I help people. I help people on fan sites know what to call monsters. So I'm here to tell them to call you... The Boneless!!"

• Locked thread