Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bobulus posted:

I would rather save the Ten arc talk until after his run is done. But I agree with Jerusalem that certain aspects of his story seem to lack follow-through.

Fair enough, I was trying to restrict what I was talking about to stuff that has already been covered by the episodes watched so far, but I guess this is opening up discussion into themes and situations that aren't at this point "complete", so I'll drop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Oxxidation posted:

Here's a Fun Science Fact to save you folks some nightmares - most quicksand does not actually work this way. The unusual properties of the substance will mean that you'll submerge to a certain depth, but at that point, well before you're over your head, there's enough surface tension so that you have to actually struggle to sink any deeper. Of course, by that same point it'll take an amount of kinetic force equivalent to pushing a Volvo to get you back out again, but that's a whole separate problem.

*takes hit off inhaler* And if you think that's wild, here's another cool fact to wow you: you can't even travel in time in a police box, it's impossible

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

*takes hit off inhaler* And if you think that's wild, here's another cool fact to wow you: you can't even travel in time in a police box, it's impossible

If you stand in a police box and wait five minutes, you've time traveled in a police box!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Look rear end in a top hat, I saw that loving live-action Jungle Book movie when I was like nine and this information came as a tremendous loving relief to me, ok

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Jerusalem posted:

If you stand in a police box and wait five minutes, you've time traveled in a police box!

Oxxidation posted:

Look rear end in a top hat, I saw that loving live-action Jungle Book movie when I was like nine and this information came as a tremendous loving relief to me, ok

haha, I think that thing scarred everyone in my age group

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

I think it was John Mulaney who said "When I was a kid I thought quicksand was going to be a much bigger deal than it ended up being."

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
The "I NEVER WOULD" is bad, but I do love Tennant's acting in it. Those eyes; he looks bonkers.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Is there a timeline of the times the Doctor's atrocities? I mean I can think of three genocides off the top of my head (The Time Lords, the pantomime spider people and the Georgia O'Keefe people) off the top of my head.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Republican Vampire posted:

Is there a timeline of the times the Doctor's atrocities? I mean I can think of three genocides off the top of my head (The Time Lords, the pantomime spider people and the Georgia O'Keefe people) off the top of my head.

Like 99% of the Daleks.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Prison Warden posted:

Like 99% of the Daleks.

Yeah they got better real quick but at the time he was genociding about he did get rid of what he thought was all of them.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Yeah okay so four species at least. Probably more.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

The Man Who Quite Often Has.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Vervoids?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

MikeJF posted:

The Vervoids?

That's who I meant by the Georgia O'Keeffe people.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

He's killed a bunch of beings who were the last of their kind, but I think that's a bit different.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah they got better real quick but at the time he was genociding about he did get rid of what he thought was all of them.

To be fair he has genocided the Daleks about 3 times so far since they came back.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Daleks are pretty irredeemably evil though. Maybe genocide is sometimes justified

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Daleks don't count, the Daleks never counted, and even Sarah Jane and, ultimately, the (fourth) Doctor agreed.

And the Vervoids were a bit of a special-case too, really...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If anyone gets to decide when genocide's acceptable it's the Time Lords, and they wanted that poo poo strangled in the womb.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dabir posted:

If anyone gets to decide when genocide's acceptable it's the Time Lords, and they wanted that poo poo strangled in the womb.

Didn't quite work out for them considering that was the start of the Time War!

The Daleks are almost inspirational little bastards. They're these poor mutated squid things that know nothing but impotent rage and hate stuck in tanks without hands or legs, presumably constructing space ships by willing them together with sheer rage and inadequacy, going up against GOD LIKE BEINGS who control Time and Space itself and have had time travel for loving ever, and some how, through sheer determination and refusal to ever, ever allow a problem to be bigger than them, the Daleks rose up and kicked the poo poo out of them across their own domain.

Shame about the genocide.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't know if it's always been a Dalek thing, or if it just happened once Nicholas Briggs became the voice, but I love how the Daleks remind you of the loud monotonous robot monster thing, but the voice isn't really monotonous at all. In fact, it's passionate as all hell.

It's not simply EX-TERMI-NATE. No no, it's more like EXTERRMINAAAATE, EXTERRRMINAAAAAAAAAAAAATE. With that last syllable going on so long as to become raspy.

Like all Daleks have just one emotion for everything, and that emotion is incredibly super pissed-off.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

I don't know if it's always been a Dalek thing, or if it just happened once Nicholas Briggs became the voice, but I love how the Daleks remind you of the loud monotonous robot monster thing, but the voice isn't really monotonous at all. In fact, it's passionate as all hell.

It's not simply EX-TERMI-NATE. No no, it's more like EXTERRMINAAAATE, EXTERRRMINAAAAAAAAAAAAATE. With that last syllable going on so long as to become raspy.

Like all Daleks have just one emotion for everything, and that emotion is incredibly super pissed-off.

That's something they figured out during the Classic Series- they started out really monotone, getting worked up in certain situations, and then the Dalek voice actors started trying to out do one another, and it just became magical.

The Third Doctor Daleks were kind of awful in that respect because they had new actors who didn't quite 'get' the Daleks.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

That's a big part of why the Cybermen are lame as hell and Daleks are the best imo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Cybermen are lame because the writers keep thinking of them as second-rate Daleks with a bodysnatching fetish, and that interpretation is so ingrained into how the Cybermen have been portrayed it'd actually feel like a betrayal to most fans if they changed it up and actually went back to the "horrors of Communism taken to an extreme" version.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Craptacular! posted:

I also love how their voices are always scratchy and lovely like audio clipping on a bad webcam mic. I like to think that they have volume controls but they always have the knob turned to MAX and they're cranking it as hard as they can trying to go louder because they'll be hosed if the next Dalek over is going to yell EXTERRRRMINATE louder than they are.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've always loved that it's obvious that somewhere deep down the Daleks are aware that they are NOT the most advanced/superior beings in the universe, but because of their genetic engineering and the technology hardwired into their battletanks etc they can never admit it. So they're just screaming and shouting and HATING all the time to try and make up for an inadequacy they can never admit and never truly overcome. It's probably why they get so passionate when they start rarking each other up with EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINAAAAATE! because that shared expression of hate is basically the closest they ever get to actually feeling happiness/joy or get any kind of positive group reinforcement about what they are.

They're tragic figures, really, though not ones you could ever really "help" or make better.... and even if you did they'd either commit suicide or be murdered by the others.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm that guy, the one guy who actually doesn't at all mind "The man who never would" line. I don't understand all of the hatred it gets compared to a great deal of similar lines.

The episode is kind of wacky and I don't really know what they were going for, and I think it might have been better without the actual Doctor's Daughter part of the plot with a reworked reason for the war.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Jerusalem posted:

I've always loved that it's obvious that somewhere deep down the Daleks are aware that they are NOT the most advanced/superior beings in the universe, but because of their genetic engineering and the technology hardwired into their battletanks etc they can never admit it.

I.... I guess. They did drive the only other contender so far to the brink that they considered ending reality and calling it quits on the known universe.

Which kind of makes me wonder, if you're a Classic fan, does that seem right? I feel like if Moffat was rebooting the show and told by management to write the Time Lords out, he would have made an original monster to do the job instead of make the Daleks absurdly powerful. But that guy also loves the whole Monster Factory element of the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Which kind of makes me wonder, if you're a Classic fan, does that seem right?

Yep, as a classic series fan I always thought the thing with the Daleks is that they just don't stop. Ever. Because they can't, and if they did, they'd basically go insane and commit a mass murder/suicide (which they'd also do if they ever "won" and wiped out all other life).

Note that in the very first appearance of the Daleks they discover that time travel is possible, and when the Doctor explains they'll never be able to operate it without him they reply,"There is no problem that cannot be solved". Then within a season they've developed their own crude and brutal form of time travel, just by throwing themselves with single-minded dedication at the concept until it worked.

They will ALWAYS fail at the final hurdle because of their limitations, but those same limitations are what pushes them to ever greater heights. They're ALMOST inspirational in just how stubborn and determined they are to prove themselves superior, and I had no problem with the idea from the revival that it was the Daleks who were fighting the Time Lords in the Time War.

Edit: I also think if the revival had introduced some new monster to be the one who took out the Time Lords, then it would have smacked of Worf/Wolverine Syndrome, where the writer tries to shortcut to showing you how totally boss and awesome their original-creation-do-not-steal is by having them take out something/somebody who has earned being tough in the eyes of the viewers. Kind of like that awful Spineasaurus bullshit in the third Jurassic Park film.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 27, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Occ marathoned the whole of Orange Is the New Black today and then dropped off the face of the Earth, so that promised bonus weekend writeup of his may be on ice. Adjust your expectations, and your scorn, accordingly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Craptacular! posted:

I.... I guess. They did drive the only other contender so far to the brink that they considered ending reality and calling it quits on the known universe.

Which kind of makes me wonder, if you're a Classic fan, does that seem right? I feel like if Moffat was rebooting the show and told by management to write the Time Lords out, he would have made an original monster to do the job instead of make the Daleks absurdly powerful. But that guy also loves the whole Monster Factory element of the show.
I don't think anything could take out the Time Lords. If you absolutely had to write them out of the show (and I can't see any reason to do that either) then the only way that makes sense is if they destroyed themselves.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A huge thing to keep in mind.

First serial, Daleks were static electricity powered and couldn't leave their metal floors without dying, let alone anything else. No space travel, no ability to go on carpets, nothin'.

Then they learn that other species outside of Skaro people exist, and then they learn where the Earth is.

They're seemingly killed off. And then

NEXT SERIAL WITH THEM, not even five serials later, they've taken over the Earth.

They go from nigh crippled kind of easily killed planet bound mutant victims in tanks to FTL space conquerors in NO TIME AT ALL.

All Daleks need is motivation and they can do drat near anything that isn't wanting to kill everyone else.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Occ marathoned the whole of Orange Is the New Black today and then dropped off the face of the Earth, so that promised bonus weekend writeup of his may be on ice. Adjust your expectations, and your scorn, accordingly.

Always so rude.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Daleks are one of relatively few races to develop time travel, and in one of the best / most famous classic episodes the Time Lords go out of their way to try and wipe them out. If you were trying to think of a race capable of taking on the Time Lords (ignoring various god-like beings), it basically comes down to humans and Daleks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Daleks are one of relatively few races to develop time travel, and in one of the best / most famous classic episodes the Time Lords go out of their way to try and wipe them out. If you were trying to think of a race capable of taking on the Time Lords (ignoring various god-like beings), it basically comes down to humans and Daleks.

The Time Lords even give their reasoning in that story as that not doing something to them while they're comparatively weak will lead to them eventually dominating the entire universe (which at that point was the Time Lords' role, even if it wasn't explicit domination).

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I love all the reasons mentioned as to why the Daleks are effective villains.

It's like if a special olympics kid won the gold in the main olympics in every event out of spite for every able bodied person and spectator. :allears:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

Marathoning Orange Is the New Black is definitely an acceptable excuse for missing a Doctor Who review, as it may also be a good excuse for missing a date, work, or a godson's First Communion.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I had serious problems with season 1 though of orange

like serious, serious issues with the show has a whole and i think the season finale completely shits the bed

but i couldn't stop watching the show, even as i was watching it and going "that was poorly done, that was bad, that was bad, holy poo poo the chicken episode is a piece of loving garbage"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah Orange is the New Black is not a particularly good show but it is extremely watchable and it does allow for representation of a lot of female character types we almost never see in pop media, so it kind-of levels out to "good" in spite of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Solaris Knight posted:

I love all the reasons mentioned as to why the Daleks are effective villains.

It's like if a special olympics kid won the gold in the main olympics in every event out of spite for every able bodied person and spectator. :allears:

Just a nitpick, but the Paralympic Games are the Olympics for people with physical disabilities, Special Olympics are for people with intellectual disabilities.

• Locked thread