Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

For some better context, here is the highlight of David Tennant and David Morrissey's respective careers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Aq_N0bllCM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cargohills posted:

For some better context, here is the highlight of David Tennant and David Morrissey's respective careers:

The last 10 or so posts in this thread have led to this clip being posted and I'm just happy I could contribute. :allears:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Doctor Who in general

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

cargohills posted:

With this post the thread has peaked. Close it for nothing else can ever be this amazing.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Blackpool is amazing. I have no idea how something that campy and dumb and weird ever made it to air but I love it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

cargohills posted:

Oooh, the creator of Viva Laughlin first created this show. I never knew about it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lycus posted:

Oooh, the creator of Viva Laughlin first created this show. I never knew about it.

Viva Laughlin is basically a remake of Blackpool and it's sequel.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Another note on the inherently incestuous nature of BBC acting roles- the Blackpool arcade-owner's wife who Tennant's DI gets involved with also appeared with him on the Doctor Who programme. The actress also played the Empress of the Racnoss in Donna's intro The Runaway Bride. They got kind of flirty then too, although no one burst into a choreographed dance number because she is a giant space spider. Might have helped the episode a bit if they did...

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
In my defense on this one I hadn't ever watched it before I entered my ballot

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 16, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So this music video, I think, sums up Ten's character VERY nicely.

This is in no way spoilerific either- this was made a full year before the Year O Specials and thus only uses footage and knowledge from the years of Who that the reviews have covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-3jBaDXZpY

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

So after this review goes up we can start posting the only picture of Matt Smith available at the time of him being announced, right? The really bad one that had us all worried?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hold onto your horses, season 4.5 is five episodes long. It's not quite the time yet.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

So after this review goes up we can start posting the only picture of Matt Smith available at the time of him being announced, right? The really bad one that had us all worried?
I don't see why not

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

quakster posted:

Hold onto your horses, season 4.5 is five episodes long. It's not quite the time yet.

It's not Season 4.5, it's ~*The Year of Specials*~

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

quakster posted:

Well he's asking because it was released very shortly after this Christmas special so it's the point in the series where everyone else first got to see it.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't see why not

Huh, I was so focused on Matt Smith's stupid WAR face when I saw that cover that I totally missed the fact that he's one-handing a goddamn flamethrower.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who
"The Next Doctor"
Series 4, Episode 14

So this is how RTD's gonna end his run, huh? Well, I...uh...well, okay. That's...that's one way to end it, I suppose.

"Journey's End" was an episode that I personally really loved, even if I caveated that love with the recognition that the way it resolved the cliffhanger from "Stolen Earth" was absolutely atrocious. The worst part of the resolution to that particular cliffhanger, in my opinion, was that it was not only bad and sold out the frankly, wonderful cliffhanger that "Stolen Earth" left them; it was that the first scene of "Journey's End" came across as malicious in the way it had subverted audience expectations. The sense that I got, at least from how the first scene in "Journey's End" played out on the screen, was that RTD had specifically written the way Ten regenerated into himself to play a mean-spirited joke on his viewing audience. There's a real mocking, somewhat patronizing tone to the regeneration scene in "Journey's End" that makes the scene itself go down even rougher, as Ten smugly exposits how he had oh-so-simply just regenerated into himself with his "handy hand", as if RTD were shaking his metaphorical dick in the audience's direction and yelling "OH, SO THIS IS WHAT YOU EXPECTED HUH?! WELL gently caress YOU! TENNANT REGENERATES INTO HIMSELF, SUCK IT!"

Luckily though, the rest of "Journey's End" had a sincere tone to it that made up for the huge narrative misstep of its first scene that made the viewing experience as a whole incredibly positive, at least for me.

"The Next Doctor" takes that mocking tone present in that first scene of "Journey's End" and spins it out over an entire episode, thus turning "The Next Doctor" into a tedious, irritating nightmare of an episode of television.

"The Next Doctor" is the first episode of the "Year of Specials", a period of five episodes spread out, as the name implies, over a year, beginning with the now-customary Christmas Special episode of Doctor Who and ending on a two-part finale. Russell T. Davies, by the end of Series Four, was clearly burned out on showrunning Doctor Who as a whole, so BBC lightened his workload for the next year, in addition to giving him a longer timetable for production on the episodes he was producing, ending with five special-length episodes that aired irregularly over a period of 12 months.

It's important to know context, going into "The Next Doctor". Before the airing of this specific episode, which aired in Christmas 2008, it was announced that David Tennant, The Tenth Doctor, would no longer continue on Doctor Who. It hadn't yet been announced who would be replacing him- Matt Smith was still an unknown name in the Who fanbase. So, the average Who fan, who learned that Tennant would be leaving mere weeks prior, would see the title of this episode, "The Next Doctor", and reasonably figure, "Oh, I guess this is where The Doctor leaves and the titular Next Doctor will be introduced."

"The Next Doctor" even opens to validate that particular misconception- The Doctor arrives in 1850's London, on Christmas Eve; just as he's about to enjoy the festivities, a young black woman, Rosita (Velile Tshabalala) calls out for "The Doctor". He runs over, ready to help; unfortunately, he's interrupted by a man claiming to be The Doctor (David Morrissey), who quickly establishes his bona fides, yelling about the TARDIS, sonic screwdrivers, and being a Time Lord.

The Doctor, for his part, figures it's an event much like what occurred to him in "Time Crash", wherein he met a past regeneration, except reversed- that this current "Doctor" is, in fact, a future regeneration. Strangely enough, though, this "Doctor" has no idea who The Doctor is- he's developed a particular amnesia about his past and only seems to remember the relevant bits about being The Doctor- TARDIS, Sonic Screwdriver, etc etc -without any of the contextual stuff, like Gallifrey, or the Time War, or any of his past Companions.

Simultaneously, as all of this is going on there's an overarcing plot in the background wherein the Cybermen, who are also in this episode, put forth their evil plan, predicated on finding their...ugh... "Cyber-King" with the help of a human liaison, Miss Hartigan (Dervla Kirwan).

And that's, well, that's kind...of...it. The Cybermen's plot mostly consists of them skulking around, doing their dirt, as The Doctor and the "Doctor" try and figure out what exactly is happening and what the Cybermen are planning to do. Eventually, those two disparate plots tie together, as it's revealed the the "Doctor" is, in fact, Jackson Lake, a man who watched his wife get killed in front of him by the Cybermen and, simultaneously received a Cybermen information capsule detailing all of their currently-known information on The Doctor, which combined with the grief over losing his wife triggered a fugue state where he believed he was, in fact, The Doctor.

The Doctor, after informing Jackson of his true past, goes off to deal with the Cybermen- who have just killed all the noblemen in the city except for five, which they then mind-controlled into putting all the orphans in the city to work on their Evil Master Plan. It turns out that Miss Hartigan is working with them in order to...I guess, upset the balance of power in London? To get back at the rich or something? It's never really made clear. In any case, the Cybermen succeed at their evil plot- which involves Cyberizing Miss Hartigan and establishing "her" as the new Cyber-King, in an appropriate and completely unsurprising cruel irony. Then, in a fit of patent RTD lunacy, it turns out that the orphans that they had kidnapped were being used to provide enough power for a giant walking Cyberman robot- think a knockoff Godzilla villain- which The Doctor, of course, defeats, mostly by giving its controller, the cyberized Miss Hartigan, her emotions back; this causes the "brain" of the giant Cyberman to explode because of emotions or some bullshit because holy poo poo Cybermen loving suck, really hard. The (Christmas) day is saved, hooray. God bless us, every one.

The most damning thing about this episode is its tone, and I don't mean in the narrative sense of it being comedic or dramatic (although that is also a huge problem with this episode, as I'll detail below). I mean, in the metanarrative sense that it really does feel like RTD wrote this from the point of view of intentionally misleading the audience, and not in a "I'll set up a fun surprise" sort of way. It's that same weirdly malicious, mean-spirited edge that RTD has that we saw at the very beginning of Journey's End; I seriously don't know how you could title this episode "The Next Doctor" and then...not reveal the next loving Doctor, especially when the previous episode had just pulled that exact same poo poo.

And it's not just that the next Doctor wasn't revealed- I had been so burned in "Journey's End" I was explicitly expecting it not to happen (along with the backhanded "spoiler", I guess, of knowing that Matt Smith would eventually end up the Eleventh Doctor and his name wasn't anywhere in the credits) -that, I could've handled. It's the fact that there's this really ugly, sort of disingenuous edge to the entirety of "The Next Doctor", this sort of really, well, mean undercurrent, this sense of passive-aggressive sarcasm to the script, where there's the barest amount of effort put in to making it seem at least kinda ambiguous that David Morrissey's character could be the next or future Doctor- he knows too much sensitive and personal information about The Doctor to be just an imposter -but it also, weirdly, constantly has to remind us, in that extremely unsubtle way that RTD so adores hammering in his plot points to the audience, that David Morrissey's character is either schizophrenic or a con man, but in either case isn't who he says he is.

Like there's a lot to criticize about RTD, and between myself and Oxx we've criticized it all, most of it twice over, but the one charge neither Oxx nor I could level against him was his lack of sincerity. If there's one thing that was constant, that was a loving bedrock of the RTD years, it was that RTD tried his very best to please the audience at all times- which leaves this episode feeling really kinda bitter on the tongue. It's fine if RTD wants to pull a swerve on audience expectations, but in this specific case it feels like there's a really angry edge to the script that bled through into the episode itself where it seeks to just sort of waste the audience's time, for the sole purpose of wasting the audience's time; as opposed to RTD having a really bad idea and just running with it, which you can at least sort of respect the fact that he has a vision.

"The Next Doctor" is just visionless. It has no soul, it's completely derivative. I'd love to hear from thread experts about what RTD's state of mind was when he wrote this- if he had known at this point that the end was coming and he had completely checked out- because what little in the script that doesn't seem specifically written to rile up the audience feels like a copy-paste job from earlier seasons of this show. The Cybermen, especially their specific modus operandi in "The Next Doctor", are Series Two era Cybermen, combined with doing the stuff that the Daleks in the Manhattan two-parter did in recruiting a human liaison, in Miss Hartigan, whom they then turn into a Dalek Cyberman/Human hybrid. The entire Jackson Lake subplot feels like a retread of the Human Nature two-parter, the setting is flat-out stolen from "The Unquiet Dead", Jackson Lake's Companion is a weird combination of the worst parts of both Martha and Rose- she's basically a no-nonsense idiot who fawns over Jackson Lake to no end. For god's sake, she's even named Rosita, as if the aping of character weren't clear enough.

The weird sort of cynical "crib from other works" mentality even extends to the dialog, with The Doctor overtly referencing the events of "Blink" in the first five minutes of "The Next Doctor". All this shameless copying of elements of RTD's previous episodes- in addition to creating a completely ramshackle feel, since none of the disparate elements gel -impresses upon the viewer how half-assed the whole production is. Like at times the episode really does feel like RTD just literally copied-and-pasted whole pages from previous scripts and called it a loving day, the repetition is so shameless and obvious.

It's not even really bad, it's just so lifeless and tedious that "The Next Doctor" is more annoying than terrible. Which, in a way, is kind of worse -I understand that the pressure was getting to RTD but if this is how he wants to end his run, this is...well, he's not even trying.

The lack of effort even shines through the two main plots of the episode -the Jackson Lake stuff is barely related, if at all, to the Cybermen plotline, which just increases the completely disjointed feel of "The Next Doctor" as the entire episode comes across as two completely different episodes just smashed together. Frankly, I'm at a loss why the Cybermen are even in this episode -firstly, they suck and they're even more shameless a copy of the Daleks than they are in a usual Who episode, including having the exact same origin story for how they got into 1850s London as the Dalek in "Dalek" -but more importantly, there's so little plot in this episode, and what little there is is all so predictable that the Cybermen could've been excised entirely from the script with little loss. David Morrissey is a decent, if somewhat hammy, actor in this episode, and The Doctor thinking that Jackson might be the, well, the Next Doctor and trying to figure out what happened to his memories could made for at the very least a more focused story, if not necessarily a better one.

I just don't get who this was written for, because RTD certainly doesn't seem like he's having any fun if the tone of the script, or the complete lack of effort in creating a narrative, is any indication. That's kind of the worst part of "The Next Doctor"; in addition to being dull and tonally incoherent, it barely even has a throughline- the entire episode comes across as a bunch of disparate scenes smashed together. It might be due to the fact that whole scenes, plotlines, and characters were lifted or copied from previous seasons, but RTD didn't really put any effort whatsoever in making the narrative progress naturally.

There's so little command of tone or any sort of sense of how the episode might come across, there's a scene- perhaps the best scene in the episode -where The Doctor lets Jackson Lake know who he is and that he's lost his wife to the Cybermen. It's a genuinely heart-wrenching scene, even though it's predicated on RTD wasting the audience's time pretending that this guy might be the next Doctor when he clearly isn't- except it's all undercut by, as Jackson is literally having an emotional breakdown, full-on sobbing, as he realizes that his identity is a lie and that he's been cavorting around like an idiot for months, The Doctor going back to chasing down the Cybermen. It's so blatant and so aggressive a tone change that there's a shot of The Doctor doing his usual Doctory investigation stuff, complete with the rousing, adventurous, bombastic soundtrack, as Jackson Lake is a sobbing mess in the background. If there has ever been a more concise example for how bad the RTD era is than the end of that scene- where RTD completely destroys any emotionality in the scene by making The Doctor look like a loving sociopath -I haven't seen it. It's loving mind-blowing, guys.

And then we get to the climax, with The Doctor destroying the giant Cyberman robot by giving its pilot an emotion. It says something for this episode, for how much I love dumb poo poo, and how a giant walking Gundam Cyberman might be the dumbest poo poo imaginable, how little this scene impressed me. It speaks also to the half-assed nature of the episode- okay, RTD, you have your ridiculous insane "kidnap orphans to power the giant Cyberman robot" plotline, and you have it ended by some guy making its pilot feel bad? No, if you're gonna do that, go full kaiju. Have The Doctor enter the TARDIS, which becomes the head of a giant walking TARDISbot, and have the TARDISbot and giant Cyberman fight it out over London Power Rangers style. Have one of them get powerbombed by the other into a building, just go full ridiculous and insane, as opposed to half ridiculous and insane, ending with a complete wet fart of The Doctor shooting an emotion ray and everything turning out fine.

The denouement is no better- Jackson literally climbing a pole and triumphantly shouting about how The Doctor doesn't ever get congratulated, leading into an extended cheer for The Doctor and how swell he is was too saccharine even for me. Too saccharine for me, guys. That's how forced and unearned that denoument was.

There's really just nothing here to recommend- even beyond how little here there is, how poorly done what little here there is, or the general "not even trying" attitude of "The Next Doctor", it's just so lifeless and dull I can't see anyone enjoying it. It's so perfunctory that the bright spots- mostly Morrissey's acting, but the Jackson Lake reveal was genuinely well accomplished (if all undercut by its atrocious ending) as well and the very final scene- with Jackson Lake wondrously wandering around inside the real TARDIS before forcing The Doctor to join him for Christmas dinner, for once -don't redeem a chore of an episode. If you ever wanted to see a formulaic, utterly perfunctory RTD episode, "The Next Doctor" is it. What a loving waste of time this was.

Also, gently caress Cybermen.

Grade: D

Random Thoughts:
  • That Frederick reveal- to wit, that Jackson's Lake's kid was taken by the Cybermen and was one of the orphans -sure was unnecessary and some forced emotionality for that climax, huh. Also, that kid's eyelashes. What the hell.
  • Wait, Cybermen are all men? (Or at least, Miss Hartigan when she's Cyberized becomes the Cyber King, not the Cyber Queen.) Shouldn't they be genderless? Like...isn't the logical extreme of their dumbass "Emotions are Pain" philosophy that gender, since it's so closely tied to emotion and feelings in so many ways, is unnecessary and actively harmful? Especially when the sex of a member of a species usually informs its gender, which would be a sociological outgrowth of its biological imperative to reproduce, which Cybermen don't do thus making sex (and gender by extension) irrelevant- Wait, why am I overthinking this. gently caress Cybermen.
  • The Cybermen were trying to track The Doctor (who they had mistakenly believed Jackson Lake to be) down to like, kidnap him or something, right? So, when they identified that The Doctor was, in fact, The Doctor, they immediately went ahead with trying to kill him. Why didn't the Cybermen just do this from the start? Why were they trying to kidnap The Doctor if they wanted to kill him outright when they caught him anyways- Wait, why am I overthinking this. gently caress Cybermen.
  • The Doctor: "You make me into this."
  • I have to admit that I did like the fact that Jackson Lake's Sonic Screwdriver is just, well, a screwdriver, combined with the "TARDIS" being a balloon.
  • I played the climax of this episode in Bayonetta 2 today and it was like 500% better there. Bayonetta 2: A better Doctor Who than Doctor Who.
  • The Doctor: "Jackson, if anyone had to be The Doctor I'm glad it was you."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Turns out that the most efficient way to power a giant robot is starving orphans, who knew

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Wait, Cybermen are all men?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip8oN0boHto

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That episode trailer maybe perfectly encapsulates Torchwood. I mean, almost any thirty seconds of Torchwood perfectly encapsulate how bad that show is, I guess.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

It speaks also to the half-assed nature of the episode- okay, RTD, you have your ridiculous insane "kidnap orphans to power the giant Cyberman robot" plotline, and you have it ended by some guy making its pilot feel bad? No, if you're gonna do that, go full kaiju. Have The Doctor enter the TARDIS, which becomes the head of a giant walking TARDISbot, and have the TARDISbot and giant Cyberman fight it out over London Power Rangers style. Have one of them get powerbombed by the other into a building, just go full ridiculous and insane, as opposed to half ridiculous and insane, ending with a complete wet fart of The Doctor shooting an emotion ray and everything turning out fine.

loving lol you think Doctor Who has Sentai money just lying around?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills attempted that stuff on a budget even smaller than JNT Doctor Who.

I'm not saying they succeeded, but the results made it to air.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cybermen using orphans to power their warmech feels like those D&D games where you exploit some fine-print in the system to do something completely ridiculous because the DM says you're not allowed to invent gunpowder or the internal combustion engine, like the peasant-powered rock railgun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Doctor Who
"The Next Doctor"
Series 4, Episode 14

A NEW DOCTOR APPROACHES - EXCEPT NOT REALLY

Well, that's this episode in a nutshell. See you next week!

Oh, fine.

As I said in my last writeup (somewhere in there, I think it's between the fifth and sixth strata of anti-Welsh venom), my investment in Davies as a showrunner was more or less kaput after "Journey's End." My memories of the Year of Specials are hence a little hazy, with only the really stupid moments - spoiler alert, there's going to be quite a few - shining through the mists. For "The Next Doctor," those moments involved a giant Cyberman robot piloted by an angry lady, a really obvious mystery, and an ersatz Companion who I'm reasonably certain was a hooker. But even then, there's so much more nonsense than what I could originally recall.

First, the Cybermen. They do here what Cybermen do best, which is suck and die, in that order. The most entertaining thing about the Cybermen as villains, I'd argue, is how their every new appearance tries to innovate or UPGRADE them in some way, only for that UPGRADE to, if anything, make them even more of a lumbering joke than they were last time. In their first appearance in the revival, they were made out of homeless people and murdered with handshakes. In their next, they had laser guns and far greater numbers, but then met the Daleks, which had no numbers but much better laser guns. Here, they've got...gorilla dog things...and a god damned steampunk Gundam, but the doggy things are ineffective, the Cybermen are back to handshake-murder, and the robot self-destructs because its pilot had an emotion. They're just so easy to kill, sometimes not even on purpose, and it was downright comical to see their combat scenes in "The Next Doctor" gradually pare down from a long shot of the Doctor sword-fighting them up a staircase to Jackson Lake killing them in less than half a second with a glorified flash drive. There was one brief shot of them that I'd argue came off as genuinely intimidating - when the orphans are marching off to make the crazy lady's Gundam, one of the Cyberdoggies is glimpsed hiding in the shadows, its bobbing mask the only thing visible in the murk - but even then, we all know that the mask is connected to what looks like a four-legged mop, which hardly strikes dread into one's heart.

Not that this episode would have been the Cybermen's time to shine, anyway. In "The Next Doctor" they're more cyber-hobos than anything, vagrants from the Void who presumably managed to squeak out during Davros' universe-collapsing science experiment. Given the Cybermen's weakness, and the completely loving incomprehensible character and motivations of their collaborator, Miss Hartigan, it'd be easy to argue that the villains in "The Next Doctor" are a backdrop for, well, the Next Doctor - the mysterious gentleman in the scarlet vest who's running around with the Doctor's trademark style of haphazard do-gooderism. Yes, it would be easy to argue that...if the mystery of Jackson Lake hadn't been solved by the episode's halfway point. Pacing, Rusty! You did it so well in "Midnight." What happened? What's the noise in the cellar? Is that goatee stubble I see on your pallid face?

I do sort of like the whole concept of Jackson Lake, a man who suffered a nervous breakdown and had his shattered mind messily glued back together with a digital encyclopedia on the Doctor. David Morrissey plays the character excellently, with the Doctor's patented brand of slightly arrogant showmanship, and it'd be easy to believe that he could be a candidate for the next Doctor if Davies hadn't let us in on the joke less than five minutes into the episode. He's survived long enough to at least inconvenience his enemies (who are Cybermen, I know, a Pomeranian could thwart them, but let's give the man some credit nonetheless), and he does it without any of the Doctor's sonic, Time Lord tricks, or timey-wimey bullshit. Instead, he uses tools that any man could find lying on the street. A normal screwdriver. A length of rope. A hooker with a heart of gold.

But he still doesn't do much in the end besides kill some Cybermen, which could be done by anyone, including children, small animals, and dead people. After Lake's identity crisis comes to light, we still have half an hour to watch some child actors stagger around a factory with a giant morningstar chained to the ceiling (seriously what was up with that thing), see the rise of Cyber-Gundam, and watch the Cyber-Gundam be undone by a lady with feelings and a shouty alien man in a hot-air balloon. It's all so much duller than it sounds, and the biggest question left on our minds in the end is how English history never thought to record the Giant Stompy Robot of 1851. Maybe Victorian England is like modern-day Tokyo and no one thought it was noteworthy enough to bother.

"The Next Doctor" is remarkable only in its complete lack of focus, a mass of foregone conclusions and murky motivations that gives nobody a reason to care, even taking into account the usual light-and-fluffy nature of Christmas specials. Look no further than Miss Hartigan for an example - is she striking out against the patriarchy? the wealthy? how is a Cyber-Gundam going to revolutionize English society? is she aware that the Cybermen are just going to UPGRADE everyone they don't happen to explode? why does she freak out so badly when she gets her emotions back (which she never lost) when she was so okay with everything that came before? Dervla Kirwan plays Hartigan with a sneering contempt that's fun to watch, but she can only do so much with the character she's given. The episode only has a clear idea of what to do with Jackson Lake and his fake-Doctor subplot, and once that's over with, we're left with a bunch of disconnected stuff happening, followed by one last glad-handing session for the Doctor. That round of applause the Doctor got after destroying Cyber-Gundam was too saccharine even for Occ.

And then there was that little speech the Doctor gave Lake at the episode's end, explaining why he doesn't travel with people anymore - because they forget him, or move on, or die, and it "breaks his heart." He kind of skated over that one time he skull-hosed Donna's memories right out of her head, I'm sure that was heartbreaking for multiple parties, but maybe that would've soured the moment somewhat. Whatever. One episode down, four to go. The Year of Specials continues apace.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 16, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

See, you're joking, but this is shockingly, sadly true.

Doctor Who very likely doesn't have the budget of Power Rangers or Sentai.

Because it's a government funded show that doesn't get back what it earns.

And that's really sad.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I don't know if it is, it's probably fine, Doctor Who seems to do well enough and that money goes into giving fresh-faced programs a shot. That's kind of the whole model of the BBC! Shows aren't defined by how much money they make (except insofar as, "this is really popular, we'll keep making this"), and do not have to be.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

oh my god why does she have a sexy strappy body instead of just a cyberman body ahahahaha

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's Torchwood, so if it's a monster and it doesn't inspire at least three people to bone down, that's very out of tone with the general themes of the show. This is probably in the writer's bible somewhere.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

oh my god why does she have a sexy strappy body instead of just a cyberman body ahahahaha

Because Torchwood

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy
She's only a partially converted Cyberman. So that explains why she has metal boobs

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Burkion posted:

See, you're joking, but this is shockingly, sadly true.

Doctor Who very likely doesn't have the budget of Power Rangers or Sentai.

Because it's a government funded show that doesn't get back what it earns.

And that's really sad.

Oh I wasn't joking. I know Doctor Who doesn't have Sentai money. That's what made it so funny.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Oxxidation posted:

A NEW DOCTOR APPROACHES - EXCEPT NOT REALLY

It's cool man I got you covered.

edit: This is the picture we got a few days after The Next Doctor aired. Don't loving get mad and report me.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 16, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wait that's the picture that had people "worried"?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I thought it was this one?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

Wait that's the picture that had people "worried"?

No, it was this:

People thought we were getting emo/Twilight Dortor.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That makes more sense.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

My vague remembrance was that people were all 'Man, his face is shaped weird. I don't like it. He looks emo. I don't like it. He's not Tennant. I don't like it.'

There may also have been some Benedict Cumberbatch comparisons? I think that's the right timeframe.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Look how long his neck is.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The way his hair is combed in the first picture makes it look like he has elf ears.

(Eleven is one of my favorite doctors, for the record)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
It's also 'Shopped - the TARDIS has been inserted into that photo, as Matt's casting was so secret they didn't tell the photographer what show he was making a cast announcement for.

Most Who-watchers had seen Matt before "the Next Doctor," as he played the sidekick in the two Phillip Pullman "Ruby in the Smoke" adaptations. Which starred Billie Piper and were the BBC's big New Years tv movies in 2006 and 2007.

• Locked thread