Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

fungah you should try and help me convince oxx that monster hunter is a swell game for cool dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Toxxupation posted:

fungah you should try and help me convince oxx that monster hunter is a swell game for cool dudes

Monster Hunter IS a swell game for cool dudes, like me.

TRUE STORY: I won a microstatue of a Rathalos by getting a lucky ticket at a Nintendo World Store event.

Which is to say, I won a Raffle-os.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DoctorWhat posted:

Monster Hunter IS a swell game for cool dudes, like me.

TRUE STORY: I won a microstatue of a Rathalos by getting a lucky ticket at a Nintendo World Store event.

Which is to say, I won a Raffle-os.

did you touch it and feel sick

(because its tail is poisonous)

(This was a bad joke)

(gently caress tigrex)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Oxx, people who play monster hunter are scientifically proven to be both handsomer and smarter than their colleagues, and also lead fulfilling, spiritually complete lives. You can't let Occ have that leg up on you man

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

did you touch it and feel sick

(because its tail is poisonous)

(This was a bad joke)

(gently caress tigrex)

my first and only monhun was 3U on 3ds and wii u

i've never fought tigrex

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DoctorWhat posted:

my first and only monhun was 3U on 3ds and wii u

i've never fought tigrex

what in the hell

next youll tell me you've never used a great sword

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

what in the hell

next youll tell me you've never used a great sword

I fuckin love greatswords, man, but my true love is the righteous gunlance. I also like Switchaxe.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hammer bros reppin'

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Fungah! posted:

Hammer bros reppin'

I can't quite get the hang of hammers, which is my eternal shame

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

you pick up the light bit, and you hit the monster in the head with the heavy bit

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Can't hammer out the all the kinks with using Hammers eh?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

surc posted:

This is actually a key point to clarify, because so many people either don't get it, or just hand-wave it away as being overly-pc. You can create something that contributes to racism without intending for it to be racist.
White people often get super obsessed over not being called racist, and as a result are basically unwilling to look at the ways that things we just view as "normal" or "not a big deal" contribute to the institutionalized racism we live in, in gigantic ways.

It's an especially huge problem with the media-heavy way society is now, because media travels so far so fast, and people create whole personas based on the media they consume. Please do not lose sight of the importance of this in a rush to defend a show you like against being criticized, or fall into a "well it doesn't seem racist to me, so it's not racist!" way of thinking. :ohdear:

Right, I felt the same way when Toxx reviewed "Voyage of the Damned" and said that making the villain a metaphorical gay person was homophobic. While I seriously doubt the openly gay Russell T. Davies is homophobic, he clearly didn't think about how it could be interpreted.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It was just RTD clumsily throwing together the only two ex-"companions" who were still on present-day earth and not memory-wiped (this is a pretty big thing they have in common btw). I think reading some kind of anti-miscegeny message into it is absurd when Donna was shown marrying a black person in the same episode.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Pretty much this. Too strictly scrutinizing things will give out lot of false positives.

Some of these are pretty hilarious, like someone noticing that the Dickens ghost episode had possible anti-immigration tones.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm relatively sure that immigrants are not ghosts

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Then why are they always found in attics

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
My problem with it was that the only two major black characters in four seasons had so little to do or wrap up in their own character arcs that there was no choice but to say they got married despite never speaking to each other on camera. Also, they're soldiers even though the last two season talked about the Doctor doing that to people was lovely. It's the same with Jack, the only openly non-heterosexual character, being sent off with a one-night stand. It's not intentional, and it's not malicious. There's just an extreme lack of thought, and it sucks to see.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

This is the central issue with Rusty's run on the show in my opinion. He had a very distinct political agenda going and it was a laudable one because he made a point of having more women, people of colour, and queer characters who actually had agency and personality. But sometimes he shat the bed in ways that are weirdly off-putting if you pay attention because he was more interested in these big broad strokes or funny in-jokes than in actually following through on that agenda.

It's not the worst vice that a showrunner can have, and the fact that he made a point of positioning a show with a broad demographic base as a conspicuously progressive one is pretty cool. But at the same time, it leads to all these little points that kind of rankle or make you roll your eyes. When you make a point of being politically progressive, you invite people to consider how well you pulled it off.

adhuin posted:

Some of these are pretty hilarious, like someone noticing that the Dickens ghost episode had possible anti-immigration tones.

Dude the whole story was explicitly about asylum seekers that turned out to be horrifying monsters. I really don't know how you can say there isn't some anxiety about immigration there.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 20, 2014

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Republican Vampire posted:

Dude the whole story was explicitly about asylum seekers that turned out to be horrifying monsters. I really don't know how you can say there isn't some anxiety about immigration there.

This one is another lack of thought issue. People roll their eyes and say you're overthinking it, but it's interesting to look at.

Science fiction was established as an official genre in the early and mid 20th century, coinciding with two world wars and the Cold War. There was a lot of paranoia of all out invasion and more subversive infiltration by foreign powers during that time. Scifi explored these fears through a different lens, making the vague foreign threat into aliens. The degree of removal allowed audiences to reconsider what caused these fears and to see them for what they were.

The Dickens episode almost certainly didn't have some xenophobic message intended when it was written. It was just the creators doing a thing without really thinking again.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Toxxupation posted:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is now six dollars on Steam

I feel like this is a cheap enough price to stress to everyone who has a computer that can run it that it's completely and utterly worth that price

Though be warned that it's like 25 GB (I own it and it's cool although I stopped playing about midway through).

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

computer parts posted:

Though be warned that it's like 25 GB (I own it and it's cool although I stopped playing about midway through).

got shadows of mordor from a friend and that's like 45 :captainpop:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It was just RTD clumsily throwing together the only two ex-"companions" who were still on present-day earth and not memory-wiped (this is a pretty big thing they have in common btw). I think reading some kind of anti-miscegeny message into it is absurd when Donna was shown marrying a black person in the same episode.

This is the line I'm trying to dice, and a lot of it has to do with colorblindness by individuals not actually changing the imbalance in the way our society is structured (which is pretty racistly), and in fact how it can lead to resentment about things like Affirmative Action in the U.S. due to a lack of understanding of how uneven our society actually is. Republican Vampire's post is kind of what I'm getting at. Because RTD so clearly is *going* for one thing, when you see something where it's thrown in, and it clashes with the overall message he's going for, and it seems to basically come down to thoughtlessness on his part, it's really frustrating. Both because he's so clearly trying and here's a glaring problem with his attempt, and because it reflects the kind of thoughtlessness that typifies "new" racism to me.

Republican Vampire posted:

This is the central issue with Rusty's run on the show in my opinion. He had a very distinct political agenda going and it was a laudable one because he made a point of having more women, people of colour, and queer characters who actually had agency and personality. But sometimes he shat the bed in ways that are weirdly off-putting if you pay attention because he was more interested in these big broad strokes or funny in-jokes than in actually following through on that agenda.

It's not the worst vice that a showrunner can have, and the fact that he made a point of positioning a show with a broad demographic base as a conspicuously progressive one is pretty cool. But at the same time, it leads to all these little points that kind of rankle or make you roll your eyes. When you make a point of being politically progressive, you invite people to consider how well you pulled it off.

I also feel like it's an issue of creator intention vs audience interpretation. Things Rusty might go "Ah, this is a tip of the hat to the X community!" will in fact also send some type of message to the rest of the audience. The biggest example of this type of problem in media that comes to mind is Chappelle's Show, where Dave Chappelle was making jokes that went from being a sharp parody of racism in america into a bunch of white guys quoting that "parody" racism in every day life to the point where it basically was expanding the very thing he was trying to criticize across the country.
Anecdotally, I also met a guy from Europe while travelling who would sing Cartman's "Mexican" song loudly throughout the day, and find it hilarious, thinking that the humor was in the making fun of the mexicans instead of the humor being how horrible a person Cartman is. You have to be very conscious when you start getting near issues of race/gender/sexuality, because what you're trying to say and what people hear might be wildly different.

I mean, I still love that ending because I'm all about the high emotion and the doctor going around to see all his pals one last time and do them all a solid, it's just that every time the line about "well you shouldn't have married me!" or whatever makes me wince. (To be fair, I'd probably wince even if I didn't see it as having a racial undertone, because wtf why are you marrying two random companions that have never met, offscreen, right before they go away forever?)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Martha and Mickey hooked up in the conclusion of Journey's End, and it was suggested that Jack was going to bring them both into the Torchwood unit. It's a thirty-second scene, but there you go.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

Martha and Mickey hooked up in the conclusion of Journey's End, and it was suggested that Jack was going to bring them both into the Torchwood unit. It's a thirty-second scene, but there you go.

You are completely right, and I had totally forgotten that happened.
I still think the underlying issue exists in RTD's run on Doctor Who, and is generally important to keep in mind when watching things, but you have now preserved the end of Tennant as the doctor for me, thanks!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oxxidation posted:

That, and 'you died to save me in an alternate timeline that you don't remember' isn't the best foundation for a long-term relationship, which explains why she broke up with Tom.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Season 5 Guessing Game!

With Tennant's passing we arrive at the time of Smith, a whole new doctor and a whole new showrunner. As people seemed to enjoy it I'm going to continue the game to see who can guess what Toxx will think of series.

This time I'm also going to keep a running total over elevens three series and will award a prize for best over the whole of Matt Smiths run.

To recap for people who missed entry last time to enter send an email to toxxtorwho@gmail.com . The first of the e-mail should be your username, then the next 13 lines should be your guesses listed as the rating A-F. DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING ELSE ON THOSE LINES! I'm going to be copy/pasting them into a spreadsheet and makes more work for me if you write anything else. If you do want to add comments or other bits please add them at the bottom of the e-mail. What this means I should receive is

LW
A
B
C
D
F
A
B
and so on

If you have any questions you can PM me or e-mail the toxxtorwho account and I'll answer it.

Deadline for submission is the first review going up. As before don't use this as an excuse to poo poo up the thread and toxx/oxx and the mods have veto rights if they think this is a problem.

Good Luck!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Little_wh0re posted:

Season 5 Guessing Game!

With Tennant's passing we arrive at the time of Smith, a whole new doctor and a whole new showrunner. As people seemed to enjoy it I'm going to continue the game to see who can guess what Toxx will think of series.

This time I'm also going to keep a running total over elevens three series and will award a prize for best over the whole of Matt Smiths run.

To recap for people who missed entry last time to enter send an email to toxxtorwho@gmail.com . The first of the e-mail should be your username, then the next 13 lines should be your guesses listed as the rating A-F. DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING ELSE ON THOSE LINES! I'm going to be copy/pasting them into a spreadsheet and makes more work for me if you write anything else. If you do want to add comments or other bits please add them at the bottom of the e-mail. What this means I should receive is

LW
A
B
C
D
F
A
B
and so on

If you have any questions you can PM me or e-mail the toxxtorwho account and I'll answer it.

Deadline for submission is the first review going up. As before don't use this as an excuse to poo poo up the thread and toxx/oxx and the mods have veto rights if they think this is a problem.

Good Luck!

Oh what the hell, I'll give it a go this time. I know this season much better than I knew season 4.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So are we all agreed that a lot of Occ's hate for season 1 is definitely based on how he wasn't used to the show yet, and if he went back and watched it he'd probably like it more?

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Bown posted:

So are we all agreed that a lot of Occ's hate for season 1 is definitely based on how he wasn't used to the show yet, and if he went back and watched it he'd probably like it more?

No, it is a bad season.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bown posted:

It sucks

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well yeah, but it all sucks. He definitely starts making more excuses/giving it more leeway/giving it higher grades because of one thing even if everything else sucks starting with s2.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

If anything s1 looks worse compared to the later seasons. It really has not aged well at all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have joined the fray.

Oh boy I'm going to be last place!

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Little_wh0re posted:

Season 5 Guessing Game!

LW
A
B
C
D
F
A
B
and so on

Good Luck!

Guess I'll give it a try this time, after lurking through the last batch.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring as well, but I'm pretty sure my unabiding love for the vast majority of season 5 has skewed my predictions somewhat.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

As defending champion, I feel an obligation to defend my crown. But I can't say I'm particularly optimistic about my chances.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tim Burns Effect posted:

If anything s1 looks worse compared to the later seasons. It really has not aged well at all.

Yeah, I liked Season 1 a lot before this thread and now I realize that what I mostly liked was Eccleston. Everything else about those episodes (Moffat's excluded) was really dire, even by Who's standards.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm in, it will be interesting see if my memory of the episodes lines up with what Toxx thinks...

Stobbit
Mar 9, 2006
I've only ever read this thread and never participated, but gently caress it, I'm throwing my hat in the ring for this season's betting too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Threw my hat into the ring this time. I liked series 5 way more than, say, series 4, so it was hard for me to not give a bunch of high grades, but we'll see what happens! It's hard, because I've been intentionally holding off rewatching Series 5 until Toxx starts, so a few of them I don't remember too well.

• Locked thread