Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

quote:

me: anyways, beyond that do you have an in which
Oxx: In which everybody needs somebody.
me: I was gonna go in which we learn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NMph943tsw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hide_%28Doctor_Who%29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh btw this is the Journey's End/Turn Left MK II of episodes, this one right here

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Also they completely wasted David Warner :mad:

No, they just didn't use him to his fullest capacity. William Shatner wasted him in Star Trek V.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHV0zs0kVGg

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This episode is really fun and good and I love the ending a whole lot :)

"This isn't a ghost story... it's a love story! :haw:"

Edit: The Doctor looks like he's having so much fun at the end of this story, it's great.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I liked this one, but I felt it needed to dwell upon a few of its moments more. I remember feeling like it just kind of zipped through, a bit too quickly.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This episode, and Rings were enough to get me finally watching Luther.

People should watch Luther.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Luther is such a stupid and ridiculous show.

I loving love Luther :allears:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I watched a few episodes of Luther a year or two ago thanks to all the praise from the DW thread.

I quit early because I just couldn't handle how stupid the main character was. I can handle a truly remarkable amount of bullshit at face level, yet that was too much for me.

This episode owned though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Stink Terios posted:

I watched a few episodes of Luther a year or two ago thanks to all the praise from the DW thread.

I quit early because I just couldn't handle how stupid the main character was. I can handle a truly remarkable amount of bullshit at face level, yet that was too much for me.

This episode owned though.

Was it how all the cops were standing in the middle of a parking lot looking at obvious bait while they were hunting a guy with a rifle knocking off cops because that wasn't even dramatic, just funny.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

This is my favorite episode of the season.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I completely forgot about this episode, which is a shame because it's pretty good. It was pretty neat finding out that the horrifying monster isn't even evil.

I also really liked the monster design.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Thus, uh, sure was an episode of Doctor Who.

I remember the line about "the only mystery worth solving" and that's it. Did I space out? Did I fall asleep? Who knows!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I just rewatched this episode and really enjoyed it, even though I didn't remember much of it.

If you liked this episode, you should read James Tiptree Jr.'s short story "The Man Who Walked Home," from which this episode draws the concept of the person in a parallel universe appearing as a spectre. Tiptree Jr. was a very good writer, so if you like science fiction she's worth reading.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Hide is a good episode that really could have used another 10 minutes to make the ending feel less rushed.

CobiWann posted:

One – there is an classic episode of Doctor Who broadcast in 1983, Warriors of the Deep, that utilizes the Cold War as a backdrop, set in the mid-21st century. No nations are named (just “power blocs”), the Silurians are the bad guys, and let’s just say there are…reasons…fans don’t talk about this episode that much.
It's a pretty interesting episode as a microcosm of what was going on in Who at the time. I think the plot actually holds up decently (with the original ending), it's just that everything else is everything else.

The Cold War comes up in other episodes, either directly (the Brigadier talking about both sides working together to defeat the Cybermen in The Invasion), and in stories like The Armageddon Factor.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Mind of Evil and Day of the Daleks both use "the Cold War is about to turn hot" as a backdrop. (UNIT kept being pulled away from its job of fighting alien invaders to act as security guards for diplomats in the Pertwee era.)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok so this is the first one I haven't seen. Like I was going to watch another episode by that lovely-rear end Rings writer. (I mean Luther is great but the guy needs to stick to what he knows)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

correction- the first season of Luther and only that is very very good

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Bown posted:

Ok so this is the first one I haven't seen. Like I was going to watch another episode by that lovely-rear end Rings writer. (I mean Luther is great but the guy needs to stick to what he knows)

Hide is alot better than Rings imo

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

I enjoy Mark Gatiss' contributions to Who and nearly always do because there's a workhorse air of utter competence to his stories. People deride his episodes as "boring" when they're at worst "pleasant", and there usually seems to be a real lack of respect for how impressive it is to turn in an episode that is technically proficient. I can understand not specifically liking his output - if what you're going for is the highly conceptual (Moffat) or emotional (Davies) episodes I could see where Gatiss doesn't do anything for you - but this weird sort of disregard and sneering derision Gatiss' episodes get befuddles me, and speaks more to how easy people think it is to write television scripts.

being really good at being mundane doesn't really make it more interesting.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In which the doctor saved everybody but everybody is an rear end in a top hat

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

This is the one that was supposed to be a Quatermass crossover, but they couldn't get the rights.

Everyone should probably at least wiki Quatermass. In terms of TV history it's kind of a big deal.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I liked most of Hide, but I remember being really annoyed at the unexplained presence and existence of an empath.

Doctor Who can and does pull some crazy stuff, but it almost always at least tries to explain it. That explanation doesn't always work, but it helps that they at least try to make it buyable. They don't even try to explain the empath's existence, the Doctor's just going 'oh, yeah, those exist' and continuing on his way. As I recall the reason she's having such success in this specific case is because she's an ancestor of the ghost-woman, but she's clearly not a fraud outside of it.

It just really bugs me, and kind of ruins the episode for me in my memory. It makes it worse that it's in an episode that takes a pretty good swing at trying to explain a more modern, low-key style of haunting (Who usually goes for a bit of a more classic ghost depiction than 'creepy figure in the background of photos). A genuine attempt at a sci-fi explanation of ghosts is kind of let down by the fact it's in a story that just goes 'also this lady has psychic powers'.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Cleretic posted:

A genuine attempt at a sci-fi explanation of ghosts is kind of let down by the fact it's in a story that just goes 'also this lady has psychic powers'.

just want to point out that in the who revival episodes "The Unquiet Dead", "Human Nature", and "Family of Blood" that psychic powers being a Thing Humans Have was deliberately made incredibly clear

like the backstory of Who revival is that everyone is at least slightly psychic - i believe that's part of the justification for how the psychic paper inherently works, it exploits all humans' marginal psychic abilities - it's just that some people are more sensitive to it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Toxxupation posted:

just want to point out that in the who revival episodes "The Unquiet Dead", "Human Nature", and "Family of Blood" that psychic powers being a Thing Humans Have was deliberately made incredibly clear

like the backstory of Who revival is that everyone is at least slightly psychic - i believe that's part of the justification for how the psychic paper inherently works, it exploits all humans' marginal psychic abilities - it's just that some people are more sensitive to it

Also the Doctor is a telepath (as are other Time Lords), the TARDIS has telepathic circuits, several stories in the original series feature telepaths of various races, etc, etc.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I liked Hide
though the ending was a bit of a swerve

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

AND DON'T FORGET PLANET OF THE DEAD!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Of all the different code words and trigger phrases revival Who has tried to pull over the decade it's been on - some successful, some very not - "he will knock four times" has to be the worst by far.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Bown posted:

Of all the different code words and trigger phrases revival Who has tried to pull over the decade it's been on - some successful, some very not - "he will knock four times" has to be the worst by far.

at least that's something that sounds close to a prophecy, instead of bad wolf which is just two words that make no sense.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I realize "hard sci fi" people really don't like psychic powers and I get it, kind of, but everyone has always wanted them and I kind of like them in my space wizard fiction. Every time I go through the automatic doors at the grocery store, I wave my hand and pretend I opened them with my mind, which I recommend when you are feeling down.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Toxxupation posted:

Oh btw this is the Journey's End/Turn Left MK II of episodes, this one right here

Toxxupation posted:

"Journey's End"
Series 4, Episode 13

Grade: A

Toxxupation posted:

"Turn Left"
Series 4, Episode 11

Grade: D

I honestly have no idea how to take this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

I realize "hard sci fi" people really don't like psychic powers and I get it, kind of, but everyone has always wanted them and I kind of like them in my space wizard fiction. Every time I go through the automatic doors at the grocery store, I wave my hand and pretend I opened them with my mind, which I recommend when you are feeling down.

Yeah you'll never find a more quietly stick-up-his-rear end "Star Wars is lame, Star Trek is hard only in technobabble" dude than me but I'd be lying out of said stick-filled rear end if I said I didn't do the exact same thing at automatic doors or in elevators. Love of science in fiction does not preclude a love of the mystical in the same.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

thrawn527 posted:

I honestly have no idea how to take this.

I think in the Journey's End review he said it retroactively made him like Turn Left more or something. So possibly this episode redeems an earlier bad one, or he's hoping this episode will be redeemed by an episode yet to come.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I think it's because he an Oxx disagreed heavily about those 2?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I think it's because he an Oxx disagreed heavily about those 2?

I thought that as well but since Oxxidation peaced out it seems like it'd be weird to bring up his opinion.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I thought that as well but since Oxxidation peaced out it seems like it'd be weird to bring up his opinion.

they're still friends dude

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Come back to the thread Oxxidation. Come back just to reply "no" to this post.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fungah! posted:

they're still friends dude

maybe not after his terrible, no good, very bad opinion on "Hide"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
you forgot "horrible"

(I actually mostly like Hide but I've only seen it once).

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I literally do not remember this episode. I read the wiki entry and I still don't remember this episode. Now I'm wondering if I somehow missed it when it aired and didn't care because Clara is A Bore or something.

I think I really may have missed it. And then not realized/remembered that I missed it. Huh. Guess I'll have something to watch after work tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cleretic posted:

I liked most of Hide, but I remember being really annoyed at the unexplained presence and existence of an empath.

Doctor Who can and does pull some crazy stuff, but it almost always at least tries to explain it. That explanation doesn't always work, but it helps that they at least try to make it buyable. They don't even try to explain the empath's existence, the Doctor's just going 'oh, yeah, those exist' and continuing on his way. As I recall the reason she's having such success in this specific case is because she's an ancestor of the ghost-woman, but she's clearly not a fraud outside of it.

It just really bugs me, and kind of ruins the episode for me in my memory. It makes it worse that it's in an episode that takes a pretty good swing at trying to explain a more modern, low-key style of haunting (Who usually goes for a bit of a more classic ghost depiction than 'creepy figure in the background of photos). A genuine attempt at a sci-fi explanation of ghosts is kind of let down by the fact it's in a story that just goes 'also this lady has psychic powers'.

LOL at you. The Doctor transferred a data dump to Craig by headbutting him. Telepathy is a thing that exists in Who.

• Locked thread