Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

adhuin posted:

After seeing the Doctor Who confidential, Kill the Moon feels even worse.
They wasted their budget for On location shooting in Spanish Canary Islands. The episode would have been as good in a Welsh Quarry!

Oh god, overseas shooting that's basically an excuse for a holiday, a Doctor that's much more abrasive...it's the 80s all over again! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Cleretic posted:

All I know about Civil War is that basically everyone not directly working on it during and after the whole thing just hated it, so much so that a good couple years of Iron Man stories were devoted to damage control.

It's probably not a good idea for them to be making a movie out of that, it's one of the most controversial comic stories of recent years, and not in a good way. You'd struggle to find a worse story to use as a comic book movie basis, given Sony can't keep Spider-Man moving long enough for One More Day to be doable.

Hey woah woah woah, let's not go crazy here.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly, Comic Book Talk here- while I've never been thrilled with the Marvel movies as they've gone on, for various, various reasons, Civil War is the only one I actively dread.

But for the moment we have a train to catch

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm trepidatious about Civil War but only because I think Marvel are forcing the Russos to shove too much crap in ala Age of Ultron. Shame cause Winter Soldier is still arguably the best actual MOVIE of the Marvel flicks so far even if there are others I prefer.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

surc posted:

Hey woah woah woah, let's not go crazy here.

No he's dead right.

The marketing hook for Civil War is absolutely golden and the reason why casual fans remember it so fondly, but the actual story as-written is pretty drat close to Love&Monsters territory on how to gently caress over a great concept. Every single person I've seen defending Civil War the comic was either a total neophyte when they read it and/or don't remember the details all that well, especially all the tie-in details that reveal what a mismanaged piece of garbage it really was. The only good thing I know about the movie adaptation is that it's in-name-only so far.

But hey the art's kind-of pretty!

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Civil War's story was fantastic and its writing was perfect...

Because it lead to Mighty God King making "I Don't Need Your Civil War"

http://mightygodking.com/i-dont-need-your-civil-war/

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Adder Moray posted:

That is a strong argument

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm trepidatious about Civil War but only because I think Marvel are forcing the Russos to shove too much crap in ala Age of Ultron. Shame cause Winter Soldier is still arguably the best actual MOVIE of the Marvel flicks so far even if there are others I prefer.

I'm wondering exactly how early the cliffhanger from Winter Soldier is resolved (with Cap finding him) since the rest of the film is looking like Avengers 3: we need RDJ or else our movies don't sell.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Adder Moray posted:

Is there a less... labor-intensive archive of this somewhere? Maybe an imgur album (or seven)?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Is there a less... labor-intensive archive of this somewhere? Maybe an imgur album (or seven)?

I can tell you weren't on the internet in the late 90s and early 2000s

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Adder Moray posted:

All the best crops grow from the shittiest poo poo.

Burkion posted:

Lol I know right?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Burkion posted:

Oh, I was online in the early 2000s. And it was terrible. I never want to deal with Photobucket or Imageshelf again as long as I live. Painful interfaces. Just awful.

So I feel very bad whenever I'm expected to go along with that sort of garbage in 2015.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

mind the walrus posted:

No he's dead right.

The marketing hook for Civil War is absolutely golden and the reason why casual fans remember it so fondly, but the actual story as-written is pretty drat close to Love&Monsters territory on how to gently caress over a great concept. Every single person I've seen defending Civil War the comic was either a total neophyte when they read it and/or don't remember the details all that well, especially all the tie-in details that reveal what a mismanaged piece of garbage it really was. The only good thing I know about the movie adaptation is that it's in-name-only so far.

But hey the art's kind-of pretty!

actually, Civil War...

*tents fingers*

...ruled

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh, I was online in the early 2000s. And it was terrible. I never want to deal with Photobucket or Imageshelf again as long as I live. Painful interfaces. Just awful.

So I feel very bad whenever I'm expected to go along with that sort of garbage in 2015.

I some times have a warped nostalgia for the lovely awful things of the past

You know, like some have with the awful cartoons that no one remembers of your childhood. The ones that made GI Joe and Transformers look like first class literature

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
If I want superheroes beating the crap out of each other, I'll re-read Kingdom Come.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

actually, Civil War...

*tents fingers*

...ruled

You think I'm that easy to bait?

Burkion posted:

I some times have a warped nostalgia for the lovely awful things of the past

You know, like some have with the awful cartoons that no one remembers of your childhood. The ones that made GI Joe and Transformers look like first class literature

It's not warped. That's what nostalgia is-- fondness for things that were objectively kind-of poo poo when you were experiencing them. I was watching some Angel the other day and actually had some fondness for the ugly 2000-2002 aesthetic. I hated the 2000-2002 aesthetic.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

mind the walrus posted:

That's what nostalgia is-- fondness for things that were objectively kind-of poo poo when you were experiencing them.

yeah i know, joss whedon tv shows, right

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

yeah i know, joss whedon tv shows, right

I'm sorry if I ruined your fun.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Comics suck. Only three characters I would buy comics about, if I could afford it: Constantine, Deadpool, Ms. Marvel. nobody else matters.

kant
May 12, 2003
Civil War was a great concept and there's more than enough good material to condense into a movie. That's assuming they even want to re-use much from the comics. They definitely don't have to and I'd even prefer if they didn't. Would be nice to see a different take on it.

Oh right, and isn't Whedon finally done with the Avengers? If that doesn't give you hope I don't know what will.

kant fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 5, 2015

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I've never, ever been a fan of comics, with extremely rare exceptions - even reading the "big events" of years past left me cold - but I have for some reason been drawn into and have been greatly enjoying the whole "Secret Wars" event Marvel is doing right now.

Part of it, I think, is that it doesn't feel like comic books are insulting my intelligence anymore, with the characters simply speaking out their plans on every panel. In addition, the artwork has a more cinematic feel, and the characters have recognizable arcs.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CobiWann posted:

If I want superheroes beating the crap out of each other, I'll re-read Kingdom Come.

This is the best post.

Kingdom Come is to Blink as Civil War is to Love and Monsters. You may not like how clever it's trying to be, but it's also not pissing off half of the audience.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blink/Kingdom Come also achieves its narrative promise, while Love&Monsters/Civil War doesn't, despite Blink/Kingdom Come having by far the less appealing concept.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spatula City posted:

Comics suck. Only three characters I would buy comics about, if I could afford it: Constantine, Deadpool, Ms. Marvel. nobody else matters.

Well at least Ms. Marvel is good

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Look everybody knows if a comic wasn't written by Mike Baron it's crap, and let's just leave it at that. :colbert:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

computer parts posted:

I'm wondering exactly how early the cliffhanger from Winter Soldier is resolved (with Cap finding him) since the rest of the film is looking like Avengers 3: we need RDJ or else our movies don't sell.

I do wonder what their long term plan for the Marvel Cinematic Universe is. Previously, audiences have been used to individual series changing actors and switching into alternate universes/reboots. The big thing Marvel has been pushing however is that all their stuff on screen is interconnected. What happens when RDJ quits for good? They recast and tell and a new Iron Man origin story breaking the universe? They just recast Tony Stark and pretend nothing has changed? They retire the character entirely for as long as this cinematic universe continues?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Kevin Feige has said that they would recast the role and carry on like James Bond does with new actors.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

DoctorWhat posted:

Here you go

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

It's already happened with The Hulk, and also Iron Mans black friend.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The RDJ-less movies have done pretty well so far too, he's not integral to the franchise.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The RDJ-less movies have done pretty well so far too, he's not integral to the franchise.

The most successful non-RDJ MCU film is Guardians, which made $775 million. Iron Man 3 made almost $1.3 billion. It's a fair amount of difference.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

computer parts posted:

The most successful non-RDJ MCU film is Guardians, which made $775 million. Iron Man 3 made almost $1.3 billion. It's a fair amount of difference.

Yeah, but none of them have been close to flops commercially (except maybe Incredible Hulk?). They obviously want him around (hence the dumptruck of money for Civil War) but the franchise can outlast him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CobiWann posted:

A Kingdom Come adaptation would make for a great movie, I think, probably better than anything DC's actually working on. Since the entire thing was basically a response to the Grimdark Bloodgun style of 90s comics, which is similar to the direction DC's movies have gone in recent years, it'd be fairly good for the time.

Admittedly, the time for it to be perfect has passed, since post-Avengers Marvel has been lighter and more optimistic while the Flash show on CW's an indication that at least parts of DC are doing the same. But it would've been perfect for around 2011, and it's still got a place now.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I was only half following the conversation and I didn't realise this was a parody until Wolverine showed up.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Burkion posted:

But for the moment we have a train to catch

Gus was fun. I remember at the time people complaining that he was a bit of a ripoff of GLaDOS, but other than the starting concept of "evil AI played for laughs" they take the idea in fairly different directions.

And even if GLaDOS was Jamie Matheson's inspiration, that's still a pretty fun inspiration.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I am suddenly reminded that the Doctor loafed around this train job for almost 1000 years.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Grouchio posted:

I am suddenly reminded that the Doctor loafed around this train job for almost 1000 years.

To be fair, he was stuck on a lovely backwater planet for 900 of them.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Cleretic posted:

A Kingdom Come adaptation would make for a great movie, I think, probably better than anything DC's actually working on. Since the entire thing was basically a response to the Grimdark Bloodgun style of 90s comics, which is similar to the direction DC's movies have gone in recent years, it'd be fairly good for the time.

Admittedly, the time for it to be perfect has passed, since post-Avengers Marvel has been lighter and more optimistic while the Flash show on CW's an indication that at least parts of DC are doing the same. But it would've been perfect for around 2011, and it's still got a place now.

Well, they could pull off an Injustice movie…though that might be the direction the DC Animated Movies are taking.

If anything, I’d be intrigued by a Kingdom Come type story where the Doctor comes out of self-imposed exile all “Time Lord Victorious” and says “screw it, I’m making the universe a better place. MY way.”

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want a sincere, honest to the comic, total film adaption of Crisis on Infinite Earths.

It would cost all of the money in the world and be the longest thing ever made, but it would also be the best. Hell work in the Marvel heroes, I'm sure with the planet buying sums of money it'd take, you could afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I would...make grandiose promises on which I would not deliver for an Astro City series with HBO production values.

I have no strong feelings about Civil War except that Mark Millar must never, under any circumstances, be permitted within 100 miles of a Doctor Who script, and that the use of nuclear weapons to prevent this would be justified.

• Locked thread