Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Every single thing in that picture makes me embarrassed to like this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know what you're talking about. He's right there in the middle. :v:

My favorite thing about wax Baker is that they brought him along specifically because Baker was like "Sure, sure, I'll do the publicity shots for it," and JNT was so positive that he wasn't going to show up, he ordered the statue just in case.

Tom'a a great example of what I mean, though. He had been ill, he disagreed with some decisions the new producer was making, he'd given the show seven years of his life. Of course he didn't want to come back for the 25th anniversary, and it's weird that people seem to think that acting in a popular show means you have to show up periodically at conventions and events for the rest of your life.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yo got some bad taste son

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I love that Hurndall quite appropriately looks like he thinks he's getting away with something. "Yes, hello, I'm here for those publicity pictures. Yes, that's me, on your list. My name is Mr. Hrrmumblemuble."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Soothing Vapors posted:

C'mon K-9 son

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Following the theme of "Americans who don't know loads of Doctor Who attempt to talk about", I turned on SyFy once last year and saw a dreadful K9 show starring Australians.

Between that and the Dalek movie, this show leaks intellectual property all over the place.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Following the theme of "Americans who don't know loads of Doctor Who attempt to talk about", I turned on SyFy once last year and saw a dreadful K9 show starring Australians.

Between that and the Dalek movie, this show leaks intellectual property all over the place.

That's because it used to be that the rights for something created by a writer would stay with the writer; hence the Beeb having to license the daleks from the estate of Terry Nation and him trying to shop them around. Similarly with K-9 and Bob Baker.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's because it used to be that the rights for something created by a writer would stay with the writer; hence the Beeb having to license the daleks from the estate of Terry Nation and him trying to shop them around. Similarly with K-9 and Bob Baker.

I sort of knew that, but I think what really surprised me is how many studios are willing to make something out of just a small piece of Doctor Who.

It's not like selling a car that's missing doors, it's selling just a door and some network says, "Yeah, I think I can build a car around that."

I like to think the classified ad said, "pulled off a vintage Whomobile". Also Occ please click that link TYIA.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 21, 2014

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yo got some bad taste son

We are in a Doctor Who thread. It goes without saying.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Craptacular! posted:

I've only seen the trailer, but "Rapid transportation of butts" is a wonderfully silly line. The rest...urgh.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Nvm wrong thread

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toxxupation posted:

C'mon K-9 son

Especially K-9

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

K-9 rules. John Leeson knows exactly how silly it is and plays it sort of straight, as if the robot dog considers its setting and friends to be silly, but thinks of itself as perfectly normal. The writers know to support that.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

K-9 is pretty great in practise, yeah. He's bizarre but fits perfectly with the weirdness of the show at that point in time.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like in School Reunion when Rose isn't impressed by K-9 and saying he's a bit too 70's and the Doctor is like "no, this is highly advanced 51st century technology!"

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Bicyclops posted:

K-9 rules. John Leeson knows exactly how silly it is and plays it sort of straight, as if the robot dog considers its setting and friends to be silly, but thinks of itself as perfectly normal. The writers know to support that.

Fun fact about John Leeson. He appeared very briefly in the amazingly awful movie Miami Connection. As you can imagine, out of everyone in the film he has the most acting experience both before and after the movie.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mind the walrus posted:

Bad Wolf as we've all noted was notoriously poor--just two completely random words that sporadically appear throughout the season before a literal deus ex machina escalation/explanation in the finale. Torchwood in was much better--as Oxx noted--as it followed Buffy's (usual) pattern of evolving the plotline at least a little bit with each appearance until the finale where it all crested, although I'd say it still fell very short of the standard Buffy progression. That's ok though, even Buffy's surprisingly good spin-off Angel was poo poo at doing "Big Bad"s as well as Buffy.
Buffy was pretty bad at it as well. For half a season this villain would be built up as unstoppable and terrifying and then in the last episode Buffy fights them and wins and that's it. They never lived up to the hype. The Master was probably the best because there was the prophecy that he would kill her and he totally did. But even then, she gets revived and just throws him off a roof. It's anticlimactic.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Buffy was pretty bad at it as well. For half a season this villain would be built up as unstoppable and terrifying and then in the last episode Buffy fights them and wins and that's it. They never lived up to the hype. The Master was probably the best because there was the prophecy that he would kill her and he totally did. But even then, she gets revived and just throws him off a roof. It's anticlimactic.

Well except for the fifth season, which would have made an incredible series finale.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If we start arguing about Buffy or, ye gods, the so-called Whedonification of television, that Homestuck derail from a few pages back is going to look tiny.

In terms of it connection to Doctor Who, it definitely influnced RTD and therefore the revival in general but Who is a lot more episodic and doesn't really have a "Big Bad" per season in the same way. Who nemeses are more omnipresent.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Tiggum posted:

Sometimes not living up the hype totally works for the best. Best one was the struggle to prevent the rebirth of that legendary monster impervious to stakes, blades, and every weapon man tried, but Buffy stops him because no one in the past ever blasted him with a rocket launcher before. drat that owned.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Sometimes not living up the hype totally works for the best. Best one was the struggle to prevent the rebirth of that legendary monster impervious to stakes, blades, and every weapon man tried, but Buffy stops him because no one in the past ever blasted him with a rocket launcher before. drat that owned.

That was good, but he wasn't a Big Bad, just a midseason villain. Although with the hype, people might have expected him to take over. Same with that creepy vampire kid who was still hanging around from season one before Spike offed him.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Apologies for missing an update on Sunday and yesterday guys, Sunday night was spent playing far too much theatrythm curtain call to the point where it was too late to do a review, then Monday night i was exhausted from both staying up too late playing curtain call and a long , exhausting day at work ending with me falling asleep as soon as I got home

Anyways there should be a review tonight and by posting this I'm gonna trap myself into watching doctor who over playing more curtain call

Speaking of if anyone else has the game and wants to trade profile cards hit me up, I got a 3 black shard map with mystic pots

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"The OP says a week per review," I tell him. "You're spoiling them," I tell him. "Ignore the banging under your floor at night," I tell him.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I ordered Curtain Call but it's not gonna get here till like Saturday, bummer.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrAristocrates posted:

I ordered Curtain Call but it's not gonna get here till like Saturday, bummer.

Why didn't you buy it in the e-shop, chump

Also when you do we gotta be online friends so you can send me any good maps you get

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Toxxupation posted:

Why didn't you buy it in the e-shop, chump

Also when you do we gotta be online friends so you can send me any good maps you get

I had a Best Buy gift card.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

"The OP says a week per review," I tell him. "You're spoiling them," I tell him. "Ignore the banging under your floor at night," I tell him.

He gettin' the shakes yet? IMing you that you could watch one more episode, just to hold him till the weekend?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oxxidation posted:

One a week? You'd be at this for years, mate. I count 74 episodes between us and you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

One a week? You'd be at this for years, mate. I count 74 episodes between us and you.

Thank you for giving that a number. Thank you. Thanks bunches. It's as though I was in the middle of a nice dinner and someone unseen whispered in my ear how many breaths I will take before I expire.

Anyway yeah, all joking aside, writeup tonight probably.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And then only 600 odd to go for the original run, shouldn't take you too long at current rates although I'm not looking forward to the review of the Ice Warriors episode 2.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And every time a new season happens that's two months where you get no closer to finishing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And then only 600 odd to go for the original run, shouldn't take you too long at current rates although I'm not looking forward to the review of the Ice Warriors episode 2.

It's a toxx, not a suicide attempt.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

If you were really men you'd review every radio play and then host a podcast where you are forced to interact with DoctorWhat for a solid hour about each and every godforsaken one of them

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat means well and would actually talk about themes and poo poo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

DoctorWhat means well and would actually talk about themes and poo poo

On the other hand, the Rani Reaps The Whirlwind would literally be an hour of screaming in three voices.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Soothing Vapors posted:

If you were really men you'd review every radio play and then host a podcast where you are forced to interact with DoctorWhat for a solid hour about each and every godforsaken one of them

Again, it's still not a suicide attempt.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Soothing Vapors posted:

This sounds like a good time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Edit: Never mind

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
More never mind.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 23, 2014