Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

I dunno about that, I'm almost caught up on Season 8 now and I made my first foray into the main thread. it's like this thread, except every single poster is DoctorWhat

Remember with Doctor Who there is no such thing as the basement, only the currently discovered depths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
I lost track, are Last Man Standing reviews still being done? If so where?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
He ended them and his toxx was lifted after everybody realized that it would be funnier for him to watch Doctor Who than a repetitive sitcom.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Feeling any better Toxx?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Soothing Vapors posted:

I dunno about that, I'm almost caught up on Season 8 now and I made my first foray into the main thread. it's like this thread, except every single poster is DoctorWhat

And everyone hates all the episodes you like and no one likes the episodes you hate.

umalt posted:

He ended them and his toxx was lifted after everybody realized that it would be funnier for him to watch Doctor Who than a repetitive sitcom.

And it resulted in a legit good series of reviews, Oxx you should seriously do a blog or something because I love reading your stuff.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

:lol: that people still believe any of the three Doctor Who threads on this forum aren't almost exactly the loving same and that the one they post in is somehow superior to the other. It's mostly the same posters in all of them with exactly the same discussions. Toxx's reviews honestly read like most of the ones in the main thread except that they're normally longer. None of the threads even have an overwhelming consensus on things. You get a bit more Big Finish in the main thread, a bit more hatred for the current season in the spoiler thread, and a few more people pretending really hard not to like Doctor Who in this thread, that's really about it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Bicyclops posted:

and a few more people pretending really hard not to like Doctor Who in this thread
look as long as we can keep up the pretense there's a chance we can still get into heaven alright

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Soothing Vapors posted:

look as long as we can keep up the pretense there's a chance we can still get into heaven alright

Too bad you're going to the place with Torch...

poo poo I'm starting another round of flagellation about that series. :(

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

adhuin posted:

Too bad you're going to the place with Torch...

poo poo I'm starting another round of flagellation about that series. :(

I dunno, Torchlight is an okay game series but it didn't really do it for me. :v:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

:lol: that people still believe any of the three Doctor Who threads on this forum aren't almost exactly the loving same and that the one they post in is somehow superior to the other. It's mostly the same posters in all of them with exactly the same discussions. Toxx's reviews honestly read like most of the ones in the main thread except that they're normally longer. None of the threads even have an overwhelming consensus on things. You get a bit more Big Finish in the main thread, a bit more hatred for the current season in the spoiler thread, and a few more people pretending really hard not to like Doctor Who in this thread, that's really about it.

This is a really good post.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dabir posted:

Y'all are coming pretty close to saying "No science fiction is hard because it has fictional elements in it".
Hard science fiction is to soft science fiction as historical fiction is to fantasy. Historical fiction is a story about something that could plausibly have happened, but didn't. Hard science fiction is about something that could plausibly happen but won't. If it's implausible (because of eg. wizards/space wizards) then it's soft sci-fi or fantasy.

That said, genres are a dumb and terrible way to categorise things because it's impossible for people to agree on what they are, so if you're searching for something by genre there's a good chance it won't be listed where you expected it to be and if you're trying to discuss a particular genre then there's a good chance the person you're talking to is talking about something else.

I was in a book shop one time, looking for a specific book. I couldn't find it so I asked the staff and they checked the same place I'd looked, then looked it up on their catalogue because they were sure it should be there. Turns out it was under "literary fiction", and not one staff member in the shop could explain why, or what "literary fiction" even is.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCqjR1gHyIQ

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The only hard sci-fi worth talking about is the one with the Zygons

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Agreed OP

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Tiggum posted:

I was in a book shop one time, looking for a specific book. I couldn't find it so I asked the staff and they checked the same place I'd looked, then looked it up on their catalogue because they were sure it should be there. Turns out it was under "literary fiction", and not one staff member in the shop could explain why, or what "literary fiction" even is.

I hope that store is shut down if nobody knows what literary fiction is

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Bicyclops posted:

For the record, everything said here is absolutely true.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tiggum posted:

That's one heck of a weird book store! Every industry conference I've been to on writing, all the people on the publishing side (including agents) have to talk about how YA and genre fiction is selling relative to literary and up-market. For books even more than other media, they're sales categories and are definitely designed to help the marketplace people more than the writers or the readers. The same kind of people are likely to purchase from the Booker short list every year, so if you stock them all in the same shelf, when people pour in for Local Author Who Will Be Lucky to Sell 10,000 Copies's launch, they're likely to pick up a few.

The categories are basically there for book store employees, so if they can't tell you what literary fiction is, I hope there isn't a hell of a lot of competition in their area.

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

computer parts posted:

AI is inherently unrealistic because the only thing that people accept as "AI" is "a human being, but in a computer".

It is almost certainly impossible or extremely unlikely to do that.

Thats not true though.

Person of Interest is a fairly popular show and the AI in it is presented as very different from human.
Sure the machine is shown to have compassion for humanity, but thats a result of its entire purpose being to identify threats to people

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

That's one heck of a weird book store! Every industry conference I've been to on writing, all the people on the publishing side (including agents) have to talk about how YA and genre fiction is selling relative to literary and up-market. For books even more than other media, they're sales categories and are definitely designed to help the marketplace people more than the writers or the readers. The same kind of people are likely to purchase from the Booker short list every year, so if you stock them all in the same shelf, when people pour in for Local Author Who Will Be Lucky to Sell 10,000 Copies's launch, they're likely to pick up a few.

The categories are basically there for book store employees, so if they can't tell you what literary fiction is, I hope there isn't a hell of a lot of competition in their area.

My personal favorite "literary vs. genre fiction" story was how a bunch of pretentious wankers always assumed Iain Banks had to publish his sci-fi books as a sell-out gig to fund his literary fiction, but after he died it came out that his literary fiction outsold his sci-fi by a sizable margin and the sci-fi stuff was always his labor of love.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 21, 2014

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
I've always thought that true A.I. would perfer Dogs over people, because they can be trained to obey and actually listen.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Solvency posted:

I've always thought that true A.I. would perfer Dogs over people, because they can be trained to obey and actually listen.

Oh look this Meatsack thinks he's better than other Meatsacks. :smug:<activates head patting subroutine>

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Solvency posted:

That's basically part of the premise of the Rifters books by Peter Watts. AIs (not the cliche human-ish AIs, but just kinda decision-making devices) eventually end up used to manage much of the world but they're layers upon layers of machines building and programming next-generation machines so they're ultimately given responsibility without too much comprehension of how they work, and eventually one with enough power decides that a world without humans - or indeed our form of life - would just be more orderly, and take action to replace it with a simpler form of life. After all, order plus preservation of life is what its rather vague goals are.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 21, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Solvency posted:

I always liked that Data had a cat because I swear, a whole bunch of their behavior feels like they just activated some subroutine in their cat program.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

The difference is that this thread has a schedule now, so there's only like a 50/50 chance of opening it up to people making GBS threads themselves in rage about how wrong somebody's opinion is! :v:

I also actually disagree that they're the same. I read this thread from the start and it took until close to season 3 for the thread to really ramp into people slapfighting over things. Most of the posts were excited discussions of Oxx's opinions and thoughts, and people's own thoughts/critiques of the episode. It's only as he's settled into it and the reviews have been comparing Doctor who to previous Doctor Who rather than other series that the side conversation has turned away from his reviews and into the weird little hate-filled circlejerk or whatever it is you guys like about the other threads. I tried to read the main thread twice and just gave up, because both times there were people getting way too mad about other people disagreeing with them. I'd rather enjoy Who and not have a place I can discuss it than get all twisted up over it. :shrug:

I'm loving classic who by the way, about to start in on season 2. :D

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

surc posted:

into the weird little hate-filled circlejerk or whatever it is you guys like about the other threads

surc posted:

people's own thoughts/critiques of the episode.

It's this. The people coming in complaining that people don't agree with them is restricted pretty much to a couple of poo poo and run posters.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I mean there have been arguments in both threads, but they really are pound for pound very similar. The idea that there's any kind of circlejerk is pretty wrong and the worst posts in every one of the threads are the ones that just say "This is the worst discussion ever!"

Enjoy season 2, though! It's got the First Doctor's most iconic monologue and also The Chase, which is one of my favorite early comedic episodes (they play it up a whole lot and you almost expect the wah-wah horns to kick in every once in awhile, but it's the kind of show you can forgive for that. One of the serials also has Julian Glover in it, but it's one of the incomplete ones, unfortunately, which I assume you're skipping.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Monagle posted:

Person of Interest is a fairly popular show and the AI in it is presented as very different from human.
Sure the machine is shown to have compassion for humanity, but thats a result of its entire purpose being to identify threats to people

I haven't watched Person of Interest, but from your description it still sounds like you're talking about a machine with a recognizable "personality" or some form of general intelligence. The problem is that more realistic AI would still be recognizable as just a piece of software under human authority, and I suspect a lot of people would actually find that more unnerving. Instead of a robot that wants to be human, you'd have something that looks an awful lot like a generic piece of recording software spitting out music more beautiful than any human has ever created. Or you'd have a fancy CAD program that can design an incredibly efficient internal combustion engine with a few lines of input from an operator.

Realistic portrayals of AI would probably scare the poo poo out of most people because real AI tends to be built very intentionally to replace human labor. No personality. No desires or quirks. Just a piece of software that does your job better than you'll ever be able to.

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

Paradoxish posted:

I haven't watched Person of Interest, but from your description it still sounds like you're talking about a machine with a recognizable "personality" or some form of general intelligence. The problem is that more realistic AI would still be recognizable as just a piece of software under human authority, and I suspect a lot of people would actually find that more unnerving. Instead of a robot that wants to be human, you'd have something that looks an awful lot like a generic piece of recording software spitting out music more beautiful than any human has ever created. Or you'd have a fancy CAD program that can design an incredibly efficient internal combustion engine with a few lines of input from an operator.

Realistic portrayals of AI would probably scare the poo poo out of most people because real AI tends to be built very intentionally to replace human labor. No personality. No desires or quirks. Just a piece of software that does your job better than you'll ever be able to.

In the show the AI is still recognizable as just a piece of software except that due to having a self preservation priority manipulated itself into being independent of human authority.

It doesn't actually have a personality, it's just that it's purpose is to identify threats to people and report to those who can help, so it comes across as being benevolent.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

This sounds sort of like a speech the Ninth Doctor would have given somewhere around the World War II two-parter.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

..Did the thread just die?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Grouchio posted:

..Did the thread just die?

Occupation was really sick and took a break.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

HOLY gently caress THAT EPISODE WAS FUCKIN' BAD

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Uh oh

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I couldn't remember what was next, so I looked it up...

Oh.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
yeaaaahhhh

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
drat, I thought it would be the right kind of horrible schmaltz and it was the wrong kind all along!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Toxxupation posted:

HOLY gently caress THAT EPISODE WAS FUCKIN' BAD

This is inaccurate.

It's FUCKIN' TERRIBLE.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It did feel like the entire script was written in an hour.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I was kinda confused when everyone got excited for Season 4 since I'd thought it was really bad, but then I looked at the episode list and realized it was basically just this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love season 4, but of all the episodes that Oxx has watched up to this point this one really is just astonishingly bad. Donna is still pretty great in it, but the entire thing is just a gigantic, poorly plotted, badly cast load of nonsense. The inclusion of Martha adds NOTHING to the story and actually detracts from it since it would have made more sense for Donna to be the one split off while the Doctor is forced to work with Jenny to get back to her and pretty much nothing would have been lost.

The big dramatic flourish from Tennant at the end is awful and unearned, as is the awful little twist right at the end. It's a terrible, awful, very bad, not good story.

• Locked thread