Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

PriorMarcus posted:

Well the shows popularity sky rocketed in the second season and every major publication was shouting about how Torchwood was the new arc word, so the public at large loving loved it.

I assume that all episodes of Torchwood count towards the goal of this thread and will be reviewed as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Lycus posted:

Gridlock is good, but you have to accept the silliness of everyone electing to live in their cars for years instead of walking and roll with it.

That is suburban America though.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
A lot of the RTD vs Moffat debate has more to do with how they two run the program as a show-runner than just comparing their scripts. I don't think that most of the people who hate on Stephen Moffat in this thread or any of the other Doctor Who threads had a low opinion of Moffat during the RTD years. I would probably not worry about comparisons between the two until you get to the later seasons of the revival.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Random Stranger posted:

Oh, there's one thing that hasn't been brought up yet (for good reason): this episode is a crossover. There has been an spin-off series starring the undying Captain Jack having X-Files style adventures around Cardiff that when this aired had one complete season. They have a secret base below that plaza where the episode starts.

Of course the reason no one wants to bring it up is Torchwood is awful. As bad as Doctor Who can get, Torchwood tops it.

And now to give everyone who watched Torchwood traumatic flashbacks:

Please don't spoil Torchwood, Occupation might want to see it some day.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

BSam posted:

It's all good, slow down a bit. It will give you more time to watch Torchwood.

Yes please get all the rest you need so that you may embark on this particular endeavor.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
This is one of two episodes of the Doctor Who revival that I haven't seen because it wasn't on Netflix for some reason. The other episode is the second episode of the fourth series for no reason that I can remember.

I'm going to watch this tonight for myself before reading the review.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Ohtsam posted:

:siren:DON'T DO IT:siren:

This episode was hilariously bad why did you try to deprive me of this? It was worth it just to see the Doctor fly up into the cockpit with those angels, which should be a gif and posted in this thread by now.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

DoctorWhat posted:

It features characters (Lucius and his family) loosely based on the Caimbridge Latin Course, which in 2008 was the textbook I was using for HS Latin. My professor, Magistra Mazzola, informed the class that this "crossover" was imminent. 2008-Me had never seen an episode of Doctor Who in his life, but was inspired to do so by this connection.

Yeah but they forgot the dog, Cerberus, so this episode gets an F--

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Plavski posted:

I think DoctorWhat is hoping after he finishes with NuWho he'll go back and review every single episode of the classic series so he can get the jokes.

Is... that not the plan?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The Sontarans are 100% serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixY3p4SpSjg

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

quakster posted:

Hold onto your horses, season 4.5 is five episodes long. It's not quite the time yet.

It's not Season 4.5, it's ~*The Year of Specials*~

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Why are you talking about anime in the Doctor Who Review thread? You're already making these people watch Doctor Who and read your posts don't make them watch Teen Wolf and anime you monsters.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Attitude Indicator posted:

Toxx, you need an editor.

and i think you have Moffat Stockholm Syndrome.

Anyone who just watched the ~Year of Specials~ is obviously going to enjoy Season 5, even if only because Moffat bought cameras to shoot the show with instead of potatoes.

edit: Also my reign as the last man standing with a perfect review guess score is done. :(

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
When I re-watched this season recently I did not find this episode to be that bad. I don't know if that is a product of binge watching, of having already seen the episode, or of comparing it to the RTD years. Oh well, see you later first place. :shrug:

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who
"The Big Bang"
Series 5, Episode 13

Grade: A

Here you go.

Random Thoughts:

Gas and ban OP.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

Now I have no excuse to not own a copy of New Vegas. Thank you kindly! PM'd with my Steam ID.

As the next in line I'll take Kentucky Route 0 if Rochallor doesn't want it. Added Toxx on Steam.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixY3p4SpSjg

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Those posters where the best thing about a season that was just so-so. Listen was one of the better episodes although I feel like the idea of the episode demanded a better one than we got.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Toxxupation posted:

since i'm at 10 reviews left i do have to start giving Serious Thoughts to what im gonna review next

i'm p certain i know what it is but i'm willin to take suggestions

i'd like a show that is not great or amazing but also isn't super bad, esp boringly bad

like the right mix for a good review series it seems is like a mostly bad show with some real moments of hope to make the badness all the more soul-crushing

also hello soothing vapors long time no see man

The answer is Farscape.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The answer is of course,

A lot of you are just suggesting genre shows that you happen to like. The ideal show to have him review would have a good variance of quality between episodes, not be a boring procedural, and not be like 12 seasons of 24 episodes. So the answer is Farscape.

LeafyOrb posted:

and well there is always Torchwood.

This is a good choice too. Who doesn't enjoy Captain Jack? What a hilarious scamp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Kevin Feige has said that they would recast the role and carry on like James Bond does with new actors.

• Locked thread