Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
This is so exciting. :allears:

Occupation is going to HATE Aliens of London/WWIII. Hmmmm, looking at Eccleston's run, there's only really 3 great episodes.
Also this thread won't REALLY pick up until we get to The Christmas Invasion. hahahahahahaha
:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

MikeJF posted:

What're you thinking? Dalek, Father's Day, and the Empty Child two-parter?

Father's Day, The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances. Two-parters are still two episodes.
There are also only three great episodes in Series 2, surprisingly there are five in 3, and five in 4. So, objectively the series with Rose in them suck. :colbert:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Burkion posted:

But Rose was in season 4 :confused:

I should clarify, "as the primary companion". Still, the finale of season 4 was also not good. No NuWho finales have been good except maaaaaaybe Season 5's, which was moderately clever.
Pro-tip for people going into NuWho clean: X-Files rules are in effect here, meaning the best episodes are stand-alones (two-parters count), the worst are heavy plot (for the most part). Maybe this will help Occupation? Although, ugh, some great stand-alones were retroactively made plot relevant (MOFFAT YOU FUCKHEAD).
GOOD EPISODES THAT HAVE NO IMMEDIATE PLOT RELEVANCE (putting 'em in spoilers to be careful): Father's Day, The Girl in the Fireplace, The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit, Human Nature/The Family of Blood, Blink, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, Midnight, Turn Left, The Waters of Mars (special, but you know what I mean), The Beast Below, Amy's Choice, Vincent and the Doctor, The Lodger, The Doctor's Wife, Night Terrors, The God Complex, Cold War, Hide, The Crimson Horror.

BAD EPISODES WITH IMMEDIATE PLOT RELEVANCE: Rose, The Christmas Invasion, Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks, The Sound of Drums, Last of the Time Lords, The Stolen Earth/Journey's End, The End of Time, Cold Blood, Day of the Moon, A Good Man Goes to War, Let's Kill Hitler, The Wedding of River Song, The Angels Take Manhattan, The Name of the Doctor, The Time of the Doctor.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

David D. Davidson posted:

Like I said Season 1 is really weak for the most part. I guess they wanted to play it safe for the first season for both budgetary reasons and also they weren't sure this show would ever take off. This two parter is proof of that. It's a fairly generic plot with a fairly forgettable solution. gently caress I don't even remember how this even ends to be honest.

It ends with an improbable feat of hacking that makes no loving sense and demonstrates little understanding of what hacking is, because of course.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

That is an awfully tortured justification for farting aliens.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

BSam posted:

Yeah don't worry, there's no more Mickey.

You are a bad person.
Sorry, Occupation, there's much more Mickey, right up until the end of the second season. He does get a little better, though, and on the whole, he's more interesting than Rose (mostly because Clarke is a better actor than Piper).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Hey, I'm not a Moffat basher and I stupidly spoiled poo poo in this thread! In fact, I really, really liked almost every episode of the last season except the last regular one and the christmas special.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

This is pretty exciting. Although, I totally expect Occ's gonna see-saw wildly back to open contempt, and then back to love. Up until he gets to the worst two episodes in the entire series. :getin:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

well, to be fair, in Dr. Who it can also be mutants, robots, rogue AIs, or other time travelers. Or stable time loops. Or unstable time messes.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I saw this episode on TV a few days ago. It is legitimately really good, but it is downright odd how much of it Moffat has since reused in different ways.
Honestly, it's well written, but it really hinges on Sophia Myles' amazing performance, and a bad actress or even a mediocre one would have made this an unmemorable episode. we-ell, people might remember the Clockwork Men.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I like the idea that various enemy races in Doctor Who represent different threats to the UK from the present or past.
The Daleks are indeed Nazi metaphors, the Cybermen are the Soviet Union. There's a race I can think of that represents the people of places England has colonized striking back against those who took their land. I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could come up with some sort of real world thing the Slitheen reference. Maybe.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

There are certain kinds of actors and actresses that can make bad material sound great a lot of the time, and then there are those that come off awful unless the material's good. Piper is the latter, most actors playing companions after her are the former.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Doctor Who sucks you in despite your better judgment. I thought I was totally done with it last year, and then I finally caught up with the most recent half season (HALF SEASONS: STUPID BULLSHIT), and found it 90% incredible.
You will want to give up again at several points. And then yet again you will find something very promising.

you know, there really needs to be a Dr Who version of :getin:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, I can answer that question!

When I spent an hourish hanging out with him at the National Theater this summer, Rob told me that he was asked to return - by both RTD and Moffat at a couple of points - but things just didn't work out for reasons, he says, were "entirely his fault".

I hope Moffat can eventually cajole him into at least one episode. I feel like the sensibility demonstrated in The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit would work really well for the mood Moffat's got going for the current season.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Is Torchwood episode one the one where one of the heroes uses a mind control drug to rape people or is that episode two

Yes, yes it is. Burn Gorman's creepy as gently caress character uses it to get a couple to have a three way with him.
Torchwood: There is always more, and it is always worse.
:getin:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

To be absolutely fair to Torchwood, it's never clear that character is meant to be a "Good" guy. Does Burn Gorman ever play good guys?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

This surpassed my wildest expectations. :3:
Fear Her is nowhere near as bad. I don't think anything reaches this nadir again until Moffat's run.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

Without getting into detail the worst part of Moffat's run is blunted if you didn't wait 6 months for half of a season.

nope. Nope. NOPE.
Because the episodes both before and after the break were the low point, in totality. Completely.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

The ELO is definitely the best part. Doctor Who does not have enough classic rock.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I don't think Fear Her's TERRIBLE like some people do, but that olympics ending is atrocious. And the setting's really boring, reeking of serious budget issues necessitating driving out to the suburbs to film rather than any interesting location, or even a friggin' quarry.
Plus, there's an episode in Moffat's run that essentially remakes this, but WAY better. Weirdly, people largely dislike it. Doctor Who fans have weird taste.
I'm not sure what the third episode Oxx skipped could be. If...if it was four episodes I'd understand. There's a two-parter that's...yeah, I've just plain blanked it out of my memory. I didn't actually hate Love & Monsters until later, but that one I hated AS I WATCHED IT. That almost never happens with Dr. Who.
Oh, is it one of the specials? I myself have never seen three of them (they weren't on Netflix when I was binging the show).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I can't, for the life of me, remember what I thought about about Army of Ghosts/Doomsday except a certain exchange that made me laugh like a madman because it was GLORIOUSLY STUPID. Otherwise, I'm drawing a complete blank.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I prefer capable companions for the Doctor. Rose was incapable/worse than useless far too often. Every subsequent companion has at least cleared that bar of being basically capable.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Clearly, as gold is the Cybermen's weakness, the Dalek's weakness is young British women. :v:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I like Martha a lot, but remembering her arc, it still pisses me off. Davies is absolutely worse about women than Moffat.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Homestuck and Doctor Who are pretty similar, in how horribly uneven they are, except Doctor Who is definitely less auteur-driven (I mean, Davies and later Moffat have a lot of control, but they're not the be-all, end-all). But it's not an act of malevolence to recommend Doctor Who to people the way it would be for Homestuck. jesus christ people don't recommend Homestuck to your friends. It drives people insane. It convinces people Con Air is a good movie, makes them wonder what their "trollsona" would be, instigates weird rituals involving spitting in buckets, and makes people fear Betty Crocker as a malevolent space alien.

That way lies madness.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I remember watching these episodes and wondering idly if there weren't any American actors living London available. Or actors that could affect a passable American accent. I mean what the hell?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

In retrospect, I kinda appreciate the megalomaniac, Man Who Would Be God, arrogant bastard Doctor. What he does in The Family of Blood follows logically from what he did to Harriet Jones in The Christmas Invasion, and then his savageness with the Rachnoss (is that what it was called?) in The Runaway Bride.
He is only going to get more arrogant from here on out, and I honestly think it mostly pays off in entertaining ways.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

worse than the Slitheen, Lumic, or Gangster Penis Head Dalek?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I think Human Nature/The Family of Blood is way, way, way better as an entry point for Who. and hell, The Christmas Invasion is probably a pretty good litmus test if you want to immediately expose your friend to pure RTD Who without showing them a garbage episode.
The Runaway Bride would also be pretty good, because it's isolated from the plot and requires little to no foreknowledge to watch.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I actually skipped this one, and two other specials, so I have no idea what happens in this. Reading Occ's review will probably be a better experience than actually watching Voyage of the Damned. :allears:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Tim Burns Effect posted:

If anyone who hasn't seen it has read these comments thinking "Hmm, should I watch Torchwood?" this basically sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqFFFgdo1Zc

Incredible. This is Torchwood, give or take a Cyberwoman, and a IT TURNS OUT MAN IS THE REAL MONSTER bit (I feel it's unfair the cannibalism episode isn't mentioned in the same breath as the Cyberwoman, both being equally awful).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

One thing that always frustrated me about the RTD/Tennant years was how they had a perfectly good, functional character arc they could have done with the Doctor, and they kept skirting around it, only rarely hitting on it.
Because the Doctor as played by Tennant and written by RTD was always a massive hypocrite with a god complex. They should've realized it more and leaned into it, utilized his perpetual hubris as a plot point. And to be fair, occasionally they did, but more often they let him off the hook. I guess why people really like Donna is that, unlike Rose and Martha, she doesn't put up with his bullshit. But they still didn't utilize Donna's ability to undercut the Doctor's self-satisfaction as much as they ought to have.

For whatever faults Moffat's had, he hasn't let the Doctor off the hook for his worst aspects.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Occ watches OINTB now. OITNB is cool.

I don't see a problem with most of the prisoners in Orange being portrayed sympathetically.
also, Piper and Alex are horrible people, and they're two of the main characters. So I don't get that complaint at all.
Pensatucky's turn into suppervillainy was sort of jarring, but I liked the idea of Piper being stripped down to her base self and revealing her capacity for monstrosity under her Little Miss Perfect facade.
Biggest flaw of Season 1, in my view, is not having a Crazy Eyes flashback episode. Or should I say, Suzanne. Uzo Aduba is the best. :3:

also this is the best thread derail.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

It's been so long since I've watched this episode. I really need to go back and watch it, seeing if what I know now enhances or detracts from it.
also, holy poo poo the Vashta Nerada are the scariest Doctor Who monsters ever. EVER. Moffat is evil, and he hates children (and easily scared adults). :smith:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I would love to see Occ's examples of poorly executed "What If" stories in genre fiction. Also, if he also hates counterfactual stories.
This distaste for that particular trope seems strange to me, because Occ fundamentally misunderstands the point of them. You take a character out of a comfortable setting, and put them into a wildly different reality, and it throws certain things about them into relief, gives some perspective. When used right, the alternate universe story is a character development tool. When you ask, where would they be if they decided this instead of this, it allows you to see better how the character has grown and changed within the course of the story thus far. It should definitely not be used until deeper into a series, when there's been some dramatic changes for the characters.
I am not saying this to defend Turn Left, but to defend the entire concept of the "What If" episode.
Can't remember if I liked Turn Left or not. Probably I did? But I'd probably like it less if I watched it again, as with all RTD stories. Saw The Girl in the Fireplace on TV recently, and it was not as good as I remembered. And the Cybermen two-parter was worse than I remembered. Although that also had a what-if element that was probably the only remotely effective bit of it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I remember very, very little of the first part of the season 4 finale. All of my memories are probably about the second part. weird.
I seem to recall Rose is in it in some capacity?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Of course Ten regenerated into himself. That iteration of the Doctor is too drat vain to let go.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I never watched The Next Doctor, or the next special, because when I was binge watching the show, neither were on Netflix Instant. Looks like Netflix was doing everyone a favor. :unsmith:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I love The Waters of Mars, definitely in my top 10 of the RTD era. The end was so cathartic for me because at that point I was getting really loving tired of the 10th Doctor's god complex, and being shut up like that so definitively felt sooooo gooooooood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Leverage is comfort food for leftists. Unless you're a nitpicky rear end in a top hat or someone that goes into it expecting something better than an agreeable caper show, you will probably like it (okay, conservatives won't like it either, most of the marks are rich douchebags). :colbert:

• Locked thread