Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Y.A.N.A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Sorry. I've been working literally non-stop and haven't read the topic in forever. I'm assuming I missed the window of opportunity for that key. Oh well, I'm less in this for prizes than I am for the smug satisfaction of being more right than other people.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 9, 2014

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

doctor who stinks and you all stink for liking it, imo

Superb...

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Looking forward to all the tanked scores.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

A jargogle posted:

And he'd have an equally valid claim on those things. It'd be awkward for sure to sort out, but I think a reasonable person could manage to.

A you from the past/future, maybe. A clone with your memories? Can't have it both ways. Either he's you or he isn't. If he isn't, then he's an individual with his own identity and false memories of being you. Even his memories and experiences from his creation onward are different than and independent of your own.

If he's not you then he is not entitled to what belongs to you. His claim is not equally valid.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Finally I can dig into this without pussy-footing around.

I vehemently disagree with the idea that Jimmy+ has any "legitimate" claim to Jimmy Classic's life. And while I'm glad Jimmy Classic's son gets to grpw up with a father, I find it disturbing and morr than a little potentially rape-y that Jimmy+ may go home to Jimmy Classic's wife like nothing ever happened.

He's a different man. A different man with the same memories up to a certain point, but he didn't live that life. If they had both survived then he would have no claim on Jimmy Classic's life. Jimmy+ didn't put in all the effort to build that life thay Jimmy Classic did, he simply inherited the memory of doing so.

It's like saying the only thing stopping what's his face from the Christmas Special from actually being the Doctor for real was that his memories of being him were imperfect.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Wait, so your claim is that Jimmy2.0 isn't the same person because he didn't 'earn' a good life? It almost sounds like you're saying that the value of a person's life is not the decisions they make, but how much toil they did.

I'm saying that they're not the same person because while Jimmy Classic was wooing his wife, Jimmy+ didn't exist, or worse, existed as a part/extention of the Flesh.

I'm saying a person's life is made up of the things they have done, including making decisions. And none of the actions that built Jimmy Classic's life, again including the decisions he made, were taken by Jimmy+.

Just because Jimmy+ has Jimmy Classic's memory up to a certain point in time does not mean they are the same person.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What determines "whether you've earned it"? The atoms in your body change over time, and even if they didn't there's no difference between one carbon 12 molecule and another other than the energy, so it's not like even the same physical object did them things even if you're not talking teleportation/similar.

[edit: made before your most recent post but still relevant]

That's getting into a debate on the nature of conciousness and self-continuity that I'm unable to carry out until later in the day.

What can be said simply, however, is this. Regardless of what makes up "the self" we can both agree that Jimmy+ did not exist, or existed as an entirely different entity, prior to The Rebel Flesh, yes? And after he was created, he and Jimmy Classic no longer shared any experiences, yes? So at what point in time is Jimmy+ the same person as Jimmy Classic?

Additional question. If Jackson Lake had received and intergrated the Doctor's memories perfectly, would he have been the Doctor? If not, then what makes Jimmy+ the same person as Jimmy Classic.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Filox posted:

So to you the most important aspect is physical? This is not the body that was there on that first date (and all the rest or them) with the wife, therefore it's not the same person? Even though both of them have exactly the same memories of the events?

I come down on the other side. All we are, ultimately, is a collection of memories. If your memories and experiences were different, you could/would have ended up a different person. If we made a ganger of you and gave it a false set of memories, or no memories at all but only practical knowledge and abilities (able to walk and talk and add 2+2, but otherwise a blank slate) I'd say not you. But since its memories as exactly the same as yours, then it's another you, no less valid, and yes, having a potential claim to your life and family. In an ideal world, it would be up to your family which copy they wanted to keep in the house - and that's a scary thought. Maybe the Ganger-you would be a more sympathetic or empathetic individual due to the experience of being a ganger, while you-original might end up looking like an rear end in a top hat they don't want to live with because you're so mean to your ganger.

Cloning-with-memories is a conundrum, because it creates issues just like those and even creating memory-bearing clones is a horrible and cruel thing to do. What if you woke up one day and someone told you that your life is not yours because you're not "real", you're just a copy of Adder Moray? Because that's exactly what happens to the gangers. What if you were terminally ill (and living in a sci-fi show) and you were offered the chance to continue your existence by having your mind downloaded into an android body? Would the android be the New You, a valid continuation of your life and existence, or a fakity-fake with no legitimate claim to your identity because it's not the body that you lived in before the disease? Or would the android you be The One True Adder Moray because your old body had conveniently died, so there was still only one of you?

Jackson Lake's situation isn't comparable because he came to identify as the Doctor through trauma and mental contamination from information files, not from the Doctor's memories out of the Doctor's head. If you want to go that way, Donna was the better example (and doomed to fail because the Doctor's actual Time Lord consciousness was imposed on a human brain that couldn't contain it.)

1. That Android would be me by consent. He has inherited my existence and all rights and responsiblities that entails with my consent and is free to do with it what he will. It would still be rape-y if he slept with my wife without informing her of what had occurred.

2. Your family is always free to choose someone else. Just because your wife leaves you for your twin brother doesn't make him you either.

3. If the physicall aspect is so insignificant, then lets say Cleaves+ had ended up with the Jimmy memories instead of Jimmy+. Does Cleaves+ have an equal valid claim to Jimmy Classic's life? If someone implants your memories into 20 different people, are they entitled to your life as well? Where's your line?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

SiKboy posted:

Unfortunately by later today many of the cells in your body will be different, so although you will share many memories with the poster "Adder Moray", you will not actually have any right to that username. Careful adder moray+ doesnt get banned for account sharing!

*many memories with the poster "Adder Moray" classic.

What that "Adder Moray+" won't have is any experiences that are different from, but occurring simultaneous to, this "Adder Moray Classic"'s experiences.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 12, 2015

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Talking about how we define sentience in a thread about a science fiction show isn't really a derail as much as it is an inevitability. It's always interesting to see how people look at it, though.

Is this a discussion about sentience? I never said they aren't people, just that they aren't the people whose memories they have. And they certainly aren't entitled to those people's lives.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Gaming pessimism is the most boring thing on the planet.

I'm sorry that your response to specific criticisms of a game you like is to moan about "gaming pessimism," but I would like to thank you for keeping that limited to videogames instead of doing the same with Who episodes.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

the only gaming thing i know to be absolutely true is that Roy is our Boy.

Let the church say amen.

Bicyclops posted:

But which one? There are two now!!

Blasphemer!

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
So get ready to skip some fanfictiony "what could have been" bullshit unless you're so inclined to listen.

After Name of the Doctor I was in a discussion that eventually lead to how I would change season 7 to improve Clara. This was my reply:

Assylum of the Daleks: Oswin isn't a brilliant human turned into a Dalek. She's just a Dalek who believes she's human. Ultimately, despite his hatred for them, he pops Oswin out of her pepper pot and takes her with him. Why? Because regardless of being a Dalek she's a good person and doesn't deserve to be imprisoned as she is.

Season 7A: Oswin stays in the TARDIS occassionally appearing in episodes.

Angels Take Manhattan: In his grief the Doctor gives Oswin a stripped down Tesselecta. She gets to be the human she always thought of herself as.

The Snowmen: Plays out mostly the same, but the Doctor now knows exactly who to go looking for.

Season 7B: We have a season of Doctor Who with a companion who can match the Doctor in intelligence getting to see the beauty of the universe but without the Dalek filter of hatred impeding her for the first time.

Rings of Akhatten: Better ending with Clara's interference for reasons discussed later.

Name of the Doctor: Tesselecta Clara "Oswin" Oswald dies, but being shattered across the Doctor's timeline means that she finally gets what she wanted. The Clara he pulls out is one who got to be born and grow up as a human on Earth.

Bonus: A Dalek saved the Doctor and in doing so saved the Universe. Bringing Baker's choice not to wipe them out pre-emptively all those years back full circle. (This is also what short circuits evil sentient sun demon in Akhaten).

As I said, fanfictiony bullshit, but I liked it.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

(I was trying to find the picture of the Brazzers Doctor surfing the TARDIS, but I give up.)

I have no idea what sentiment is being expressed here :D

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
The 4400 can't find a show with bigger differences between its peaks and valleys.

Of course, as far as I can tell, you can't find the show.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
You sons of bitches have made me go cross-eyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Civil War's story was fantastic and its writing was perfect...

Because it lead to Mighty God King making "I Don't Need Your Civil War"

http://mightygodking.com/i-dont-need-your-civil-war/

• Locked thread