Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Glad to be finally caught up with this thread in time for one of my favourite episodes. The tone, the setting, the characters... it just worked for me. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

This is a reference/quote from an old spy comedy movie, "Johnny English" where time travel happens. Now everyone who never saw these movies and didn't find it funny before knows it's a reference you don't get, which makes the joke funny somehow.

It's Austin Powers you heathen

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

People were really looking forward to the prediction game results, clearly.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Found this thread too late to take part in the last one but I'll give this a try despite not having seen any of these episodes since the original airdate.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

I voted KR0 but feel bad about denying others the chance to romance pigeons.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Just so we're clear:

New Vegas and Bioshock 2 are the superior games.

Craptacular! posted:

Only because of Minerva's Den. Bioshock 2 made Little Sisters go from creepy to adorable for player appeal, and had something like Evangelion's unification instrumentality mumbo jumbo as the apparent endgame of fanatical Communism.

It took a DLC mission better than the main campaign to save it.

I mostly rate 2 best because the game was actually fun and engaging to play while still being as/more rewarding to wander around and explore as the other games. 1 had way to much padding in the last third of the game and infinite was so barebones mechanically it just wasn't much fun to play.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 6, 2015

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

copying over my thoughts from the other thread:

Blasmeister posted:

I just watched The Beast Below recently, and it certainly doesn't fit together like the 'clockwork' moffat stories do (Why are naughty children automatically sent to their 'deaths'? Is the whole 'we'll stop if 1% protest' thing just a bullshit excuses to feed objectors to the whale, the rest of the system seems to work as stated even if it's kinda messed up? What are the winder/human things even really for? Did they not even see if the whale would move them on its own before torturing it to make it move?) And some of the emotional thrust is a bit more bluntly done - the comparison between the whale and the doctor could have been less obviously stated, for instance. But the setting, premise and the acting of the main parties were really well done and the climax does feel earned despite the shaky foundations.

It's funny that fallout was brought up in the toxx thread, as there's some similarity between New Vegas' Vault 11 and this episode with the premise of 'everyone votes to perpetuate a horrible act for the greater good that turns out to be completely unnecessary'

I guessed a B, but after rewatching for the first time since the original airdate it a few days back I figured it might score better, the setting is cool enough that the stuff that doesn't quite make sense is excused in the way that, while there isn't an explanation given for much of it, it feels like there could be one, we just aren't being shown it because that's not what the episode is focusing on

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Is it? The end of the current episode very heavily implies what's going to be coming up next.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, I'm going to let that one pass, thereby dashing Occ's dreams that the next episode is actually Winston Churchhill on Neptune.

Hey, we've not ruled out Winston Churchill on past Neptune

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Never underestimate Occ's capacity to unironically love super dumb poo poo. :doh:

(I liked it too)

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

I'm sure everyone agrees. Now lets all argue about which scene should be removed.

I vote for defusing an android bomb with the power of love.

I'll nominate the Dalek fashion show. Interested to hear if there were any other egregious ones other than those.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Couldn't remember much of this episode outside of the first 10 minutes + the dalek redesign, so I hedged with a C, cant be too unhappy with the result. The episode feels realy slow on a rewatch - the reveal happens about 10 minutes in, and then there's a pile of random exposition about paradigms and the dull scientist guy gets way too much screentime and still doesn't earn the bomb plot's resolution. At least the contractually obligated Dalek appearence for the season is satisfied. Definitely an episode I've been hoping we can just get out of the way so we can get through to the meat of the season.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Yeah for some reason I don't really remember initally liking this episode a whole lot, but on a recent rewatch it felt like it stood up fairly well. Maybe I'd just soured on some of the elements of this episode in general due to later events or got hung up on the vastly expanded 'ruleset' that now doesn't seem so out there. I voted C but I think I'd rate it a B/B+ now

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 13, 2015

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

quote:

Fans should plan to enjoy “Fawlty Towers,” “Blackadder,” “MI-5″ and “Red Dwarf” before Feb. 1 when they will no longer be available.

Get busy, netflix-havers. Seasons 1-6 of Red Dwarf are required viewing

VVV: I'm rounding up. :shrug:

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 17, 2015

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

I agree so much with the love for Moffat really sitting down and trying to make the rickety world that came before make narrative sense. The way the ~ominous crack~ took a direct turn away from being the dull, RTD-style 'thing that shows up but means gently caress all until the season finale' and both played an important role in this episode and actually advanced the season story arc in a new and interesting way meant a lot to me. There are lots of other nice concepts in the episode- the idea of being unwritten from time itself is a scary one, and the solution of turning off the gravity was nicely set up at the start of the episode. The blind walking scene was bad, and I like the idea presented of solving all of its problems by having the scene done in sound only. What could have been...

When I predicted grades for this two parter I think my distaste for the moving Angels bled over into my C grade for part 1, I ended up giving part 2 a B grade for the acting and clever ideas in the later scenes. after a rewatch, I think I'd give both parts a solid B+.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 17, 2015

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

a cast of completely unlikeable characters. And that coda/epilogue :barf:

Agreed with this - World's End had some moments but the ending left me cold. Not on the same level as the other two films

Guy A. Person posted:

Why the heck do people always think characters need to "likeable" for a story to be good?

They do if the film is presenting them as someone you should like and root for. Garry basically learned nothing, failed to grow up or face consequences for his actions and got everything he wanted and the forgiveness/respect of his friends despite still being a kinda horrible person.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 20, 2015

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Without remembering this episode too well, I probably would have given it a B

This is what I did, assuming that Toxx's immunity to finding silly poo poo too unpalatable would make an ok ep with some nice interactions a solid B, but a rewatch really does help you remember how straight up funny the episode is, because of, not in spite of the ludicrous monster plot(and how delighted The Doctor is by the prospect of vampires is infectious). Rory is really sympathetic and stands up for himself without being a whiny child about things. The doctor's Big Speech was memorable and felt earned, and the Rory/Doctor relationship didn't fall into the love rivals cliche archetype. It's still hard to think of anything other than the cgi fish and a tonne of hissing when you think back on the episode though.

Also:
The Doctor: "Tell me your whole plan! *vampires continue to advance* "...someday that will work."

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 20, 2015

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

'Whatever doesn't cause you to burn out' would be my advice. I'd love to be able to read a review every day but I'd much rather this thread actually reach the end of the revival, and if that means month long breaks so be it. anything to not turn into yet another unfinished goon project.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

This episode is really really good and the one I most looked forward to rewatching from this season. Toby Jones is so goddamn great here.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

I gave this episode a C because I only remembered it being dull. I had to push myself through the rewatch of this 2-parter and I don't think the initial assessment was far off. Nothing happens in a boring location with a load of really forgettable characters and the main party is split up and given no real interactions with each other. I think the guy who said grading on an A or F only scale might have done us a lot better this season is onto something. Compared to the rest of the season it's a real drag, so I can understand the relative F grade even if it doesn't do any one absolutely terrible thing.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

YEAH ALL RIGHT DOCTOR WHO, LET'S FIST BUMP AND TALK ABOUT IT YEAH ALL RIGHT

Gonna assume this means you liked it.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

Talk of Anime in the Doctor Who thread and no-one has posted this yet?

Three times now, in fact!

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Come back, animechat. All is forgiven

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Are we not supposed to like Corden now? I never watched Gavin and Stacey but I thought The Wrong Mans was really good.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

I love how dark this episode finishes :allears:

Amy: dead
Rory: not-real, murdered his fiance
Doctor: trapped forever in an unescapable prison while being unable to save the universe from imminent collapse
River: stuck in the Tardis that's about to explode and collapse the universe

And it's all because the Doctor played the 'know who I am and be very loving afraid' card too many times.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Some background on The Fez from the behind the scenes companion show for this episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ2_cPIwNJk

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

My mistake was making my predictions based on hazy recollections of the series from when it aired 5 years ago rather than rewatching it first. I still probably would have hosed up the ratings on 'Cold Blood' and 'Vincent and the Doctor' though. So hard to tell which emotional endings will land.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Oh to send that post back in time 6 months and see how disappointed in yourself past you would be

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Do we have a ballpark on how long it'll be until the Christmas episode review/prediction game entires close? Was considering rewatching the entire season before making my predictions but if we're not taking breaks between seasons that'll probably not be feasible.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

El Pato posted:

Where do we send our guesses for next season? I know I saw the email a few pages back but now I can´t find it.

toxxtorwho@gmail.com

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

A MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL IS THE BEST VERSION OF A CHRISTMAS CAROL, MICHAEL CAINE IS CANON EBENEEZER SCROOGE gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I was gonna be mad at the lack of an A grade but this is the correctest post possible, so.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 7, 2015

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

It begins :kheldragar:

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 9, 2015

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

I like the summaries but I'm going to watch along ahead of the reviews anyway so I could survive without them pretty easily.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

This episode is silly as gently caress and after rewatching it again I still don't know if I like it. Pirates! In! Space! and Lily Cole's oddly proportioned face are all I end up remembering.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Wrestling is actually cool, and good.

And loving dumb too

E: here's a photo of Triple H 2 days ago as proof

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 1, 2015

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Unfortunately, this also applies to Ursula, but that's what happens when you try to define consciousness as something concrete.

:frogout:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Just rewatched the episode, and agree with the criticism of the episode somehow feeling both rushed and empty. The episode blazes through everything after the doctor shows up, and then spends too long letting people celebrate while the audience waits for the other shoe to drop as they've been explicitly told will happen. Load of characters getting a line or two each, mysterious bad guys who seem to be custom made for disguising yourself and incompetent human bad guys who do basically nothing except almost get killed by their own allies. That said there's a lot of fun speeches and the first 20 minutes of assembling the crew are really exciting and build the tension nicely, and Strax is, of course, amazing. Rory has some fine moments too. The reveal at the end... sorta leaves me cold. Ok, it makes sense of a kind, and explains some of the events of earlier in the season. The problem is it doesn't really change a great deal of the status quo and we've barely had time to even register the fact that Amy and Rory even have a child before we are supposed to have the idea upended. The buildup to the big reveal of the name is pretty clumsy, and given with a too much distracting cryptic talk. And then suddenly the doctor is going off for reasons and then the episodes over and you're basically back to where we began except River and Amy's friendship got a bit more awkward. A lot of what's being answered but not many whys.

Still, though, Strax :3:

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 14, 2015

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I quite enjoy this episode, though it seemed fairly bland on first viewing the second time I watched it I found it a lot more enjoyable.

I just rewatched it and can confirm that you are mistaken. Good lord this episode is just painfully drab to look at and achingly slow.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Speaking of Minisodes and River, here's a little miniseries you're up to!

Two Days After The Battle Of Demon's Run

This one has Strax in it and therefore is the best one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

I guess I must just be allergic to bad child actors because I really didn't get anything out of this episode. The Rory and Amy subplot (outside of the 'Dead? Again?' line) felt like it was running a half speed where nothing happened in the dark for half an hour, followed by some light menacing by Child_laugh.wav spitting slow moving poor cgi transforming dolls. I wasn't a fan of the rest of the side characters either, the father was the least offensive, and the actor has a talent for expressive faces, but the rest left me cold. The constant hemming and hawwing over opening the cupboard combined with the B plot, gave me the impression that this episode was somehow stalling for time, stretching out a concept that wasn't worth a full episode on its own merits but budget dictated that this was all we were getting. I guess I should have figured that the 'a fathers love saves the day' ending would resonate with Occ and be his main takeaway, and that's fine. It just wasn't for me.

• Locked thread