Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Catherine Tate and the Doctor met on another occasion! (not spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHAJ4VFStUE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The first half of Problem Sleuth is OK. It was good enough that I gave Homestuck six months to stop sucking.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Welp, this thread got the Quotes thread closed. The toxicity is spreading friends.

Looks to me more like it was the GBS ladies thread, I don't see anything about this thread at all.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And every time a new season happens that's two months where you get no closer to finishing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Matron Redfern is played with hesitant, homespun charm by Joan Redfern;

I don't think she's actually called that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

I haven't rewatched those episodes in recent memory because I don't hate myself... was the farting actually integral to the plot in a way that it wouldn't be able to be omitted/edited around?

Yes. Harriet Jones pointed out that the smell of it wasn't like farts, it was the smell of bad breath, the Doctor deduced that it was calcium decay so therefore the Slitheen were largely calcium, therefore vinegar would make them explode.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's the best episode of television with the Doctor Who logo at the start.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

quantum particles can only be observed where they are or where they're going, but never both.

Liiiiittle niggle but I think that's all subatomic particles, where it gets quantum is with things like photons that could, hypothetically, be anywhere (with varying probability) until you observe them and collapse the waveform. Which, again, makes total sense for how the Angels work. Blink, and for that split second there's an 80% chance they're COMING OH GOD

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Trap sprung. Nerd.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

For what it's worth, I've never got the impression that the Joker and Batman were in any way similar. It's something that gets said a lot for dramatic effect but it's never really been backed up.

Mr Saxon didn't just show up that one time, actually! There's been 'Vote Saxon' posters around in a few of the episodes on Earth, and Mr Saxon was the guy who gave the order to shoot down the Racnoss in The Runaway Bride. It even goes back to a newspaper headline in Love and Monsters. It's easy to miss, but spotting this poo poo was what nerds did for fun back then.

And yes, everyone in Britain (the target audience, let's be fair) knew who the Master was. In that respect it's a lot better than, say, the Khan reveal in Star Trek Into Darkness (target audience: people who hadn't seen, for instance, Star Trek 2).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't get it, I'm reading his posts what did he do?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

Man, I wish I had a friend good enough to force me to watch television I hate.

If I listened to my friends I'd be watching MLP so I count my blessings.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I was just looking up Dalek on Wikipedia and you'll never guess who's listed as script editor.

Only Helen Raynor.

But Dalek was good!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Y'all are coming pretty close to saying "No science fiction is hard because it has fictional elements in it".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If anyone gets to decide when genocide's acceptable it's the Time Lords, and they wanted that poo poo strangled in the womb.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

Wait, what? Who fans don't like River? How can anyone not like River

In my opinion, she's constantly wobbling along the thin line between confident, capable person and smug know-it-all. Some people may feel that she crosses that line a few times.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I like it too. It's a nice subtle way of saying 'no matter how far off we are, humans are always humans'. And after all, let's not kid ourselves, the alternative is stilted, rubbish future-dialogue.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Republican Vampire posted:

Nolan's a lot like Moffat. He seems really clever and cool until you realize how limited and repetitive he is.

They also both do this really annoying thing where instead of actually writing dialogue they write a monologue and have a second character ask what are basically the first character's rhetorical questions. Also they've both taken something that is, at its basics, pretty dumb (Batman and Who) and gone beyond self-parody by taking it way too seriously and trying way too hard to make it epic or mythic in terms of feel and scope.

I agree with this entirely. Every single line of dialogue in TDK felt like it was supposed to turn into an internet meme or be used in the trailer. Every. Single. One.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tempo 119 posted:

The Titanic was supposed to wipe out the entire planet. RTD set his stakes so ludicrously high that they were prohibitive to an episode where, explicitly, anything can happen and nothing matters, so he had to back off.

Also the Doctor spent that whole Sontaran episode smugging about how much smarter he was than everyone else, but in the end those dim fuckers at Torchwood would have done just as good a job.

They all died though. The Doctor at least convinced Ratigan to throw himself under the bus instead.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You're surprised by the fact that a fortune teller knew someone's name without being told?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Surprised that you didn't touch on The Shadow Proclamation ultimately being just a big empty room with a woman and two rhinos in it. The concept art for that scene has pretty much every alien in the revival up to that point milling around, but they just couldn't get the money to work. Such a disappointing moment.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yes, I think this is accurate.

How did you misquote that as me.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh yeah, we can link this now that Davros has shown up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYWD45FN5zA

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

According to Wikipedia, this episode broke Doctor Who's record on the Appreciation Index at 91, the previous high of 89 being held by Doomsday, Silence in the Library, Forest of the Dead...

...and Parting of the Ways.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Flea Wars posted:

In your opinion, what part of the series so far would be most improved by a single, precise deployment of the word "loving" from The Doctor?

The Doctor Dances. Slay the metaphor.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Does this mean Noel Edmonds is a companion?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh, so his plan was bitcoin.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It was indirect, but taking in the power of the Time Vortex with no idea how that was gonna get worked out, just kind of assuming the Doctor would know what to do... which turned out to be sacrificing his own life. Oops.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

For instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VVrGK85JMM

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tiggum posted:

The audiobooks are read by Chris Barrie and he does the voices incredibly well.

Yeah he's a really good impressionist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU0QPGbYUn0

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The individual episodes were much shorter back then, though. And it's not just a question of writing, special effects were expensive and with the serials you could get four - or even six - weeks of television on one TARDIS materialisation, one set of costumes, one collection of sets then one TARDIS dematerialisation at the end. Plus the stories could be longer and more elaborate. They could be, and often were, overly-padded rubbish with laughable cliffhangers, but some were really good.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Personally I thought Robots of Death was kinda disappointing, had so much promise of being an Asimov-esque tale of the robot slaves throwing off their chains by using logic to get around their laws, then turned out to just be their creator secretly sticking an ice pick in their heads. Big let-down and I'm a little surprised to see it on the top ten list.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is now six dollars on Steam

I feel like this is a cheap enough price to stress to everyone who has a computer that can run it that it's completely and utterly worth that price

On the other hand if your computer can't run it it will go at a perfectly smooth half speed. So maybe that's worth the price too, maybe you'll find that funny. I didn't when I paid at least twice that for it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'd like to propose a toast to Occ and Oxx for putting up with us in these trying times.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Dalek Invasion of Earth didn't.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

...how do they smell

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

howe_sam posted:

If you're some kind of soulless monster who absolutely has to criticize things then you could maybe say having Smith walking out from that projection of all the Doctors is a little too on the nose, and unnecessary to proving he is the Doctor, because he's done that the entire episode. However, since seeing Smith stand there fully-formed with that drat bow tie(*) is a great scene and anyone who doesn't like it can feel free to hit themselves with a brick.

* The tweed jacket and bow tie is the second best costume for the Doctor; for me the only thing better was Ten's brown suit and overcoat, and yes that includes The Coat.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well I liked this one. Not the first time I saw it, but I was young and dumb back then. Rewatched the first three of this series recently and I was surprised how much I was liking this one.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That bit always gives me an irresistible urge to salute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not to mention that the mainline titles themselves are frequently less functional than previous mainline titles.

• Locked thread