Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I thought this episode was all right, I remember laughing at what a petty weirdo the villain was, and I liked the bit about the one guy who survived not being who the Doctor would have wanted to. The bits I liked are probably causing me to forget any amount of crap though. That's why I remember liking Love & Monsters; the big climax where the Doctor shows up made me laugh and I couldn't tell you anything about the plot before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I thought he was being ironic and comical at first, but then it turned out he wasn't and it was even better.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Occ marathoned the whole of Orange Is the New Black today and then dropped off the face of the Earth, so that promised bonus weekend writeup of his may be on ice. Adjust your expectations, and your scorn, accordingly.
It's like he doesn't consider it his duty to watch and review Doctor Who as frequently as possible.

Anyway, are you really supposed to sympathise with Piper by the end of season 1? The vibe I got was that when she beats down Pennsatucky that's the final nail in the coffin of her status as The Audience Surrogate who's frightened and amazed by this strange new world, and she's now just as much a part of that world as every other character. It kind of troubled me because I couldn't help but see a moral of "see how horrible prison is, it even turns sweet white women into animals". But then I haven't watched season 2 so I'm in no position to have a "reading" of the show.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Every second season maybe. Half of the problems in 24 are caused by evil US corporations / organisations starting wars for profit.
also one time the Republican president of the United States

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

A lot of confusing posts itt from people who don't seem to think Donna's ending was intended to be sad.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Sadness sort of has to have a point, though. I'm not sure what we're supposed to feel, besides just sad, about a person losing all of their agency in the form of forced amnesia as a sacrifice to save the world. I guess it sort of hammers Davros's point home, about the Doctor using people as pawns and being self-righteous about it, but that's a really sour note to end a traditionally pretty hopeful show on.

I guess if they'd spent a little more time exploring it as a choice for Donna (dying after having saved the entire Universe and seeing a host of incredible things or living a full but banal life without her memories), it could have been meaningful but, again, probably a little too dark for a couple of episodes as bombastic as these two were.
The point of it is that it's not a total victory, it's bittersweet because the person who saved the universe doesn't get to remember it, or Frodo has to go across the sea, or Darth Vader dies redeeming himself. How many heroic narratives don't have a happy ending that comes with a price?

As for having her memory erased, the vibe I got was that the Doctor believes it's better to live a boring life than die in an exciting way. Do no harm, and all that.

I actually don't like Donna's ending but that's in retrospect and for spoiler related reasons.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How many of those also have one of the characters losing nothing and getting everything they wanted?
well I'm not about to defend Billie Piper getting her own pet Doctor. It does serve to get the clone Doctor out of the plot neatly though, so I'm OK with it on that basis. Also there's a final shot of Rose and the clone looking at each other seriously, and I can kind of imagine that they're hearing The Sound Of Silence in that moment.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

MikeJF posted:

This is pretty much it. A sad ending for Donna could've worked, but it was poorly written and didn't fit into the overall tone of the episode and lead-in from the rest of the plot, and the elements that caused the sadness weren't explored in a decent way as to make the sacrifice feel like it had a meaning to the viewer. Something that's well-written to be sad will usually make most viewers sad along with it; when it just made most people irritated at RTD that's something of a sign.

I want Mario Kart 8.

Having a bad thing end up happening to someone who spent time around the Doctor seemed to fit OK to me in an episode that had a big clip-show style scene all about the idea that bad things end up happening to people who spend time around the Doctor. I'm not qualified to talk about tone and plot construction, but all the foreshadowing earlier in the series and in the two-parter seemed like a decent amount of lead-in to a layman. Dalek Caan yelled out that someone was going to die so many times that I was impatient through the whole fuzzy happy ending because I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

Pretty loving sure Sara Jane Smith and motherfucking Davros and the goddamn Master all point to the Classic Series totally being in canon.
This is a reasonable level of passion for discussing Doctor Who

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I think it might be a sign you're too invested in a TV show when you start thinking sad endings and plot twists are done maliciously to spite you.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I remember someone commenting when the episode aired, "RTD seems to be going out with not a bang or a whimper, but with the most stupid and insane audacious piss-take imaginable." Having rewatched this two-parter recently I still think it's a fair comment.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

As well as the cafe scene I liked the Doctor reading the Master's mind and realising the drums were real.

Edit: also I can't believe they called this The End Of Time Part One. "The Master Race" just screams "classic Doctor Who title" and it's not like anyone was going to guess from that that the Master would turn everyone on Earth into himself.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 29, 2014

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I remember looking at the clock just over halfway through the episode, confused that the climax seemed to be happening now. I loved Wilf's four knocks but holy crap did that epilogue drag on. I was yelling "END! END!" at my TV by the time he decided to bump into Rose. It would still have been incredibly indulgent, but a lot more palatable, if they'd cut all that down to about half length (we don't need to see that the two black characters got married and we don't need the Ood singing the Doctor to sleep or whatever the gently caress for a start)

Roll on Matt Smith!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I liked also that Wilf was protesting "no no!" when the Doctor saved his life, just like Donna did when he saved hers.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Lt. Danger posted:

You can't spoil a good story, though. Like, I'm fairly certain the draw of Dalek is not that there's a museum and it turns out there's an alien in it.

No, but a plot twist is supposed to surprise you, and if you get spoiled beforehand there's an emotion the show was trying to evoke that you won't feel. Obviously that's not the case for Dalek, but if you hadn't watched Army Of Ghosts and someone said "there's a bunch of Daleks in the orb" then you wouldn't feel that sense of escalating stakes when the Daleks come out of the orb.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I anticipated that response but couldn't think of a good counter for it because hell, it's correct.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

But the Millennium Dome was right there! It's probably, uh, 2013? (Yes, it verges on ultra-pedantic, but I think it's one of the weirdest time skips in the new show thus far.)
The crash doesn't happen instantly after the millennium dome scene, there's a whole title sequence between them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

things I love:

fallout
bioshock
morally ambiguous choices
stuff that makes me cry

Doesn't seem relevant but I agree

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

MikeJF posted:

New Vegas was a better game but I honestly preferred the Capitol Wasteland setting more, The Mojave just felt like a city and surroundings that had fallen on hard times rather than a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

I missed the urban environment from Fallout 3 but the New Vegas DLCs gave me my fix. Old World Blues is one big post-apoc ruin full of monsters, and Lonesome Road is the same but even more hosed up. And Dead Money's possibly the most hostile place in the series.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That wasn't a plot hole, it just sucks to be them.

I guess the show does belabour the parallel a bit, but hey, it's for kids. Plus I like when they hug and say "gotcha," I find it very sweet for some reason.

I predicted a B I think for this episode, I intentionally aimed low for quite a few even though I think they're basically all magical. That may have been a misstep.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's not a cartoon, it's anime.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The Forget option preserves the stability of the society. If you want to free the star whale you could just pick the "don't forget but I'm fine with this" option and set about conspiring with other people to do something about it, which might lead to the entire UK being destroyed if you succeed. Also they made a big meal out of how tough and cool Liz 10 is to undercut it right at the end when she turns out to be just as complicit in the whale's torture as the demon headmaster guy.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The Doctor did some magic poo poo with Rose's phone in the second episode ever of the revival and it's been brought up again multiple times since, why would you lose your mind at time travel phones now?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Because the timing makes sense with those other ones. The phone synchronises the amount of time that's passed for the companion with the amount of time that's passed for people on Earth. If Rose's mother calls her three months after she leaves, Rose will receive the call after having travelled with the Doctor for three months. But what Earth time does the Doctor's phone synchronise to? Why did Churchill's call go through now?

The phone doesn't synchronise with the amount of time that's passed for the companion, or when Rose got home and found out she'd been away a year she could have just called her mum on the phone a year ago. Plus didn't Martha's entire series take place over a few days?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

The broadcast version actually had a little animated Graham Norton pop up on the screen during the Doctor's big dramatic moment and wave happily to the audience, kicking off a huge number of complaints to the BBC :3:

To be fair that moment had already been spoiled by the preview in The Eleventh Hour so people were probably yawning through it anyway.

I love these episodes and I also love the cries of "that's not how the fictional monster works" directed at the guy who came up with the fictional monster in the first place. This review should be fun!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's a side effect of episodes actually having plots these days :smugbert:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm not reading an entire Tiggum post of that length, but the new Angel powers aren't arbitrary. The Angels' big weakness is that they can't do anything if you look at them. That is the exact reason for the new powers: now looking at them is dangerous as well.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Also it was River who told him he leaves the brakes on. She was probably told that by a future version of the Doctor, who only "knew" it because River told him. It's a time travel lie!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Pokeballs don't need to be bigger on the inside, the pokemon don't live in there they're converted into energy and stored in that form. God damned fanboys.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

eeeh on season 6

This is a funny joke but not as funny as Red Dwarf series six.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Quantum lock can be psychosomatic, who says it can't.

Upon rewatching the climax and ending is a bit sloppy- they skip to outside on the beach to avoid having to show how the characters got out of the control room where they were hanging from railings over a certain death drop and then got down from the top of the ship, the final conversation with River is a bit too heavy on foreshadowing and Alex Kingston's bad laughing, and it's not entirely clear what the situation is at the end either- based on the soldiers' reactions when the others got erased I assume whoever authorised River to go deal with the angel still remembers doing that but now sent her alone or something? It'd be hard to make it all clearer without adding a bunch of dialogue and screwing with the pacing though. That might be why that extra scene was cut as well.

Edit: I still think the whole two-parter is completely magical however

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 17, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I really liked Smith's upset acting in this. He yelled in the Star whale episode and he yelled at the Daleks, but he was pretty much just mad. Here he's scared and doesn't know what to do and it really works well with the atmosphere of tension and dread. It was unsettling to see him break when he's contemplating throwing himself in the crack ("feeding it a complicated space-time event will shut it up" "like what for instance?" "LIKE ME. FOR. INSTANCE.") or when he can't come up with a good speech to motivate Amy to walk blind through the forest (RTD's first series had Bad Wolf, Moffat's has Little Red Riding Hood) so he just keeps yelling at her that she has to do it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Every Tiggum post is more epic than the last.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The end of Blink is ruined by the fact that they're hanging out under a light bulb so they'll be fine as soon as it goes out.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Rory? More like... Snory :smug:

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 20, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The plot is OK but so by the numbers that I found it pretty forgettable. The Carrionites energy aliens fish monsters are pretending to be witches ghosts vampires to carry out their sinister plan and the Doctor has to save the day with the help of Charles Dickens Shakespeare Rory. It really does feel like a leftover RTD era episode that they decided to pop the new characters into.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"The villains are doing something and the hero stops them with the help of some ancillary characters" describes a vast quantity of fiction

Oh, never mind then

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Oh good, I'm still the only person alive who thinks that no matter how you slice it, "it was all a dream" is un-loving-forgivable.

Well, "gently caress man, gently caress" isn't necessarily a positive statement.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm trying to rewatch these along with the reviews, but I quit partway through this one. My free time is too precious for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Oxx's review hit the nail on the head for me I think, in that I don't hate this episode because it's so drat unmemorable. I don't remember a single thing about it except for a Silurian creeping about in the night, and I guess they captured her? Him? I don't remember the big red energy shield or Rory pretending to be a policeman, and I don't remember what the cliffhanger at the end was. The whole thing just slid off my brain like the top slice of bread slides off a big greasy sandwich.

• Locked thread