Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

[*] This is the end of Mickey, and his boring-rear end unimportant sideplots right? Right?...:smith:

Yeah don't worry, there's no more Mickey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I suppose one good thing about Last Man Standing is that it doesn't have fans to ruin the toxx thread.

I mean I agree with the audio play thing, but also completely understand you not wanting to go there occ, but everyone else, you can't even not spoil Mickey coming back, there are two other threads for all the Doctor bullshit, let's not ruin this one too.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

Was Pegg really a big name back in 2005? I know this was right after Shaun of the Dead, but still.

Yeah, Spaced and Shaun of the Dead is basically what made him big.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

How about we don't, because this thread isn't about us and what we know, it's about seeing Occupation discover this stuff himself, and seeing if he'll be able to pick up on this stuff himself.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

So you didn't like it then?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

loving amazing.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

ThaGhettoJew posted:

As this thread highlights "Rule 1" of Doctor Who fandom is that no matter how objectively bad or good you may feel an episode is there is always someone out there who thinks it is the best or worst episode ever, whichever is the incorrect interpretation. And sometimes for the very same reasons. Your enjoyment of stuff that this Who thread or any other hates is completely normal and rational, excepting (or especially) when you are wrong.

Exactly. I loving love Love and Monsters.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who
"The Girl in the Fireplace"
Series 2, Episode 4

Grade: A

Random Thoughts:
  • Mickey wasn't absolutely terrible this episode; on the other hand, he spent less time in this episode, literally, than a loving horse so...

I'm really glad you liked this one. Definitely one of my favourites.

Re: Mickey, he was pretty good this episode, especially at the end where he takes rose away from The Doctor to give The Doctor his moment alone at the end with the letter. That's probably Peak Mickey.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Gravity fails the Bechdel test.

Yeah, but on a technicality.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

But yeah, I like this show

:hfive:

And yes, the Ood appear again. So we can discuss what happens in those episodes once Toxxupation gets that far, until then stick to what we learnt or theorised just based on these episodes. Please.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Stairs posted:

I love how Elton being into rock is considered both the best and worst aspects of this episode.

:golfclap:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

It's just such a let down after the highs of the previous episode.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq-DhjidQxk

I have been waiting for the opportunity to post this. This is one of the very best of Murray Gold's compositions and it captures the emotion of the scene so incredibly well.

You beat me to it, loving amazing score here.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Fine then, how about The Holy Terror.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

Donna is the best Tennant companion. Maybe the best in all of new Who.

True, pity she was only a one off companion for this one Christmas special.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

The French are implicitly enemies in every episode.

Have you met the French?

(I double checked we were past Girl in the Fireplace before quoting that)

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I think I need to give these two a rewatch.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

latest episode

For fucks sake, you know this thread is nowhere near the latest episode. How hard is this to understand?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

MikeJF posted:

And they're fused into the concrete and it's not like they could ever take her to someone to pop a new lens in, so if they ever break, she's basically doomed on the seeing front forever. Just one more to add to the ultimate torturous existence besides desperately prostituting her mouth out to the one person looking after her in the hopes that he finds it enough payment to keep from leaving her in the basement alone to go out of her mind.

I know a lot of people don't like the 'love life' joke, but you seem to be projecting something else on top of that pretty hard.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Holy poo poo, this thread is on topic (Doctor Who) and not spoilery (seeing as we're talking about the classic series).

I've been watching through a few older ones, currently on Genesis of the Daleks, and before this I watched The War Games which while being ten episodes long, almost didn't seem too long.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Ah yes, forgive the terrible monster CGI and you're left with a really good episode. Again glad you liked it. I'm a big Gatiss, and League of Gentlemen fan, but some of his Doctor Who stories haven't been the best because he's going for that old school style of Doctor Who episode and it doesn't always work out.

Also, kind of off topic but it's starting to bug me, what is this, "quote-on-quote", are you trying to say "quote unquote", or is it an actual term?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Bown posted:

Just because you discuss something doesn't mean you're actually bothered by it. It's not like it takes tons of effort to type, so you can only do it for stuff you really really care about.

You really care about proving you don't care, or do you? I don't know because this is this internet!?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

You guys mentioned the trailers for the next episodes previously. Did you watch the next episodes trailer? I won't discuss it but just this time I hope you saw it.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

qntm posted:

Isn't this the first episode in which supposed doctor-in-training Martha actually demonstrates any medical knowledge?

It's almost as if we didn't see her working in a hospital in her first episode.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Man that Moffat can write some great female characters. It is a good episode and I agree with you we should have had a Weeping Angel two parter, but I'm happy with what we did get.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Watching you hyperventilate over this has amused and entertained, but I'll cut the fun short and say he's got the uncut versions.

how about we don't post youtube clips from upcoming episodes. don't worry, he will see that part.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

It's all good, slow down a bit. It will give you more time to watch Torchwood.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Little_wh0re posted:

starting from "Partners in crime" and ending with "End of time pt2" so a total of 17 scores.

18 surely?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

There's not enough left. The system is too badly damaged. He's just atoms, Doctor. An echo with a ghost of consciousness. He's stardust.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

BSam posted:

There's not enough left. The system is too badly damaged. He's just atoms, Doctor. An echo with a ghost of consciousness. He's stardust.

Well now he's seen it, I feel guilty for slipping this into the Adric talk.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

WAIT

I've never seen Firefly or Serenity IN MY LIFE.

:toxx: I will fall on Occ's sword if it means he has to listen to The Marian Conspiracy and Oxx has to watch Gracepoint. :toxx:

What have you done.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rochallor posted:

I feel obligated to point out that the title music was written by Ian Levine.

So he's not all bad then.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

Oh no! My lead! My competitive advantage! My dreams-

OF CONQUEST!?!?!

Yeah, eat it Zaggitz.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

That's quite the stretch, how on earth does Occ and his reviews have any connection to Community?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

ZAGGITZ

:argh:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Tim Burns Effect posted:

If anyone who hasn't seen it has read these comments thinking "Hmm, should I watch Torchwood?" this basically sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqFFFgdo1Zc

So 'yes' then.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rarity posted:

For me the worst part of this episode is the death of the random Hath. He walks one foot into a mudpit and then can't be arsed to come back even though the mud hasn't even reached his waist. So pathetic.

ARTAX NO!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I feel the need to post this now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cFzABv0xMU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

So I can just stop watching doctor who from now on, right

No loving way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU