Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Where are the bodies?

The bodies, where are they?

Bodies, wherefore art thou?

Where are the loving bodies? There's no automated casualty-disposal that we know of, the combat zones are horribly cramped, the humans and Hath must have been dying in droves for the conflict to still be even. There should be more corpses in that facility than a clown's backyard, and we don't see hide or hair of one! The entire premise collapsed for me in light of that detail; Doctor Who usually tries to distance itself from actual warfare, making the combat bloodless and/or keeping the nastiest moments of a conflict at a safe distance, but this episode boxes itself in with the war and then tries to just sprinkle it with some loving pixie dust and make it disappear.

The Deep Space Nine episode "Battle Lines" (guest starring long-haired Jonathan Banks :dance:) did the concept way better by putting the resurrection mechanism in the premise instead of the clone factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: I also think if the revival had introduced some new monster to be the one who took out the Time Lords, then it would have smacked of Worf/Wolverine Syndrome, where the writer tries to shortcut to showing you how totally boss and awesome their original-creation-do-not-steal is by having them take out something/somebody who has earned being tough in the eyes of the viewers. Kind of like that awful Spineasaurus bullshit in the third Jurassic Park film.

Bane of the Time Lords!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Also, quick note, the next episode is the one I've been looking forward to Toxx getting to the most since he started. But we'll get into why once he gets there.

We have a great stretch of episodes ahead :unsmith:

And then there are the loving specials.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

One day you finally decide "I'm done spiting that ex who said I would like Doctor Who and she did say it has a Dickens episode, maybe I'll try a few."

The next thing you know, you're listening to Big Finish on the way to work and posting repeatedly in two Doctor Who threads with a Tom Baker avatar.

Weeping angels feed on your potential

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

So unlike the Doctor.

It is the Firefly problem - you don't want two smug and obnoxious people of the same type in one room.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Soothing Vapors posted:

Anyone in this thread who says they didn't is a loving liar. Except maybe Oxx, he might actually be a robot.

The only DW episode that made me cry was the bloody Richard Curtis one

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I wish Guy Pearce got more work, he's really good.

The Rover is a good movie if you are into slow-paced crime features.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Remedial Chaos Theory is a big smelly pile of Dan Harmons wet wipes.

Turn Left is not a masterpiece either, mainly for hammering the point of "YOU ARE SPECIAL DONNA TOTALLY NOT A BORING EVERYDAY PERSON" which is a cowardly way to build a character. What is wrong with being just a person?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Davros is awesome because the moment you see a mutated nerd in a wheelchair screeching in a slightly more humanized Dalek voice you understand everything about Daleks.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I guess I finally agree with Occ on "non-genre fiction" beating "genre fiction", I have been watching Doctor Who thanks to and along this thread coming from a view similar to Occ's (I am way ahead in Moffatland and I also watch the current season); this thread is way more entertaining than most of the show! It has better twists, better silly villains and better nonsensical comedy!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

I have literally never said this

Okay, I'll rephrase, I finally understand your insistence on bringing that loaded term in your reviews and your personal taste of preferring human drama to badly constructed stories with stale rules.

I was making a bad joke to congratulate thread at being supremely entertaining anyway, don't bring more wood to the fire of the worst debate!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

MrAristocrates posted:

I hadn't been reading this for a while and I just caught up but you guys who were confused about Occ's opinion on Midnight or Turn Left should know that he thinks Fly is a bad episode of Breaking Bad.

drat son

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I have a feeling we might use this a lot in the coming days

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

RTD run - that silly slot machine
Moffat run - you count cards, get mad money then the security beats you up and you watch the carrot top show

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I have a weird thought that Midnight and Waters of Mars were born out of RTD doing a John Carpenter marathon.

Doctor Who has a lot of "astronauts in near or far future" episodes, was that theme popular in the Classic era, or is it a strictly revival obsession?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Fungah! posted:

He said it was shot a lot better, which, yeah. Say what you will about Moffat's run (i'm not saying a loving word yet), they finally got some cinematographers worth a poo poo

Yeah, the change feels HUGE. I don't know if this series was the jump to HD but it sure felt like one.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I saw this episode after Sherlock and at that point I was tired of the cutesy chaotic mystery-solving with visual gimmicks, which soured the whole Moffat era for me.

Still, it is probably one of the best new runner introductions in any medium, rivaling Alan Moore's Anatomy Lesson in Swamp Thing as a better "here I am, I am the boss, here how things are going to be now" perfomance. Enter with a bang or go home.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I am really surprised occ liked this one, I felt it was just a usual RTD-ish big sci-fi episode with better direction.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bown posted:

The second a genre show has as good writing as a 'prestige' non-genre show the term 'genre fiction' can stop existing. But that hasn't happened yet. Even Game of Thrones and Battlestar Galactica haven't quite managed it.

The Prisoner.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I love this episode because in this one Smith's Doctor stopped being an aspie and showed some genuine emotion. Doctor really hates the Daleks and it is useful to remind about it after the reincarnation.
Also mothefucking Spitfires in space!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I don't give a poo poo about fictional rules, this two-parter is just dull as hell.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Doctor: But that's the Church for you :rolleyes: ....uhhh, no offence, Bishop.
Octavian: Quite a lot taken, if that's all right, Doctor.

Ha, considering the analogy in reviews, this sounds a lot like the quote from Aliens

quote:

Burke: Yeah... look, Ripley, this is a multi-million dollar installation. He can't make that kind of decision. He's just a grunt!
Burke: [to Hicks] Uh, no offense.
Hicks: None taken.

The jump from Alien to Aliens worked because the creature was very physical and brutal at its core, so slightly toning down the sexual aspects in favor of the overwhelming force/hive mentality eating the poo poo out of the "organized" unit was very successful.

The scare put in Angels relies on the unknown, hella old horror masking in the object commonly found on Earth - statues of Angels; dumping them in the very same form on some planet is akin to putting the lovely molepeople from Descent on a space station.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

You know opinions are subjective and all that, but anybody who doesn't like Rory is pretty much just a big ol' liar, or possibly suffering from some kind of mentally debilitating condition.

Rory is a disgusting nerd-pandering poo poo
I hate Rory and his stories so much

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I did not mean nerd as "someone who probably watches Doctor Who religiously" but rather a spineless wimp that nerds can easily identify with

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

This is the worst and campiest episode of the whole Moffat run. The Beast Below is sorta RTD-like, but this one is full-on Bad Who.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Toby Jones more like Toby jOWNS

I don't even think that Amy is a very good character but I enjoyed this one as an Amy-centered episode

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Open the door
Get on the floor
Everybody walk the dinosaur

Welcome to super mario bros movie starring doctor whooo

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

lord have mercy

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

What about a Kelly Macdonald Doctor

Welcome to the darkest timeline

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Diane Morgan as Philomena Cunk as Doctor Who or nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvpbW7JRu0Q

Toxxupation posted:

Are you implying kelly macdonald is a bad actress

Smdh

i have not read Boardwalk threads on TVIV, is it Cool Contrarian Opinion to praise her round here? because there is nothing cool in it imo

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The War Still Rages Within (this thread)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Annakie posted:

On top of that, the song that plays over the big "take Vincent to modern times and let him see the museum and hear Bill Nighy talk about how great he is" part (Chances by Athlete) already had a very deep and personal meaning to me long before I watched this episode, so them using that song for a moment where Van Gogh overhears how important he is brings me to tears every time, including when I rewatched this episode last night.

That song is the RichardCurtisiest saccharine thing and yet it hit me so hard.
The idea of showing your favorite person from the past just how revered his work will be, in spite of any time laws, is just so appealing :unsmith:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

That's in the version not in the ps2 version, it was added later on and is deeply, deeply embarrassing for most to all fans

You seem to be very generous of anime/jrpg fans

Persona owns, just read the hiimdaisy comic and face out, hold out, reach out for the truth http://imgur.com/gallery/7gIwl

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like Lupin III, Cowboy Bebop, and FLCL. All other anime looks generic and boring.

Come at me goons. :getin:

Watch Space Dandy, he is a dandy in space

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

CobiWann posted:

So maybe this thread can explain Five Nights at Freddy's to me?

Much like Doctor Who, it is about cheap-looking, creepy monsters and insufferable fans.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I got really used to BIG DUMB FINALS in Doctor Who, so this superacting teleplay did nothing to me :shrug:
Also I have read way too many superhero comics to ever enjoy universal retcons.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Never watch Torchwood
Don't ever suggest watching Torchwood even as some twisted punishment

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

Eh yo I'm buying a new gang tag and thus want a new av, does anyone have any ideas for a decent DW related one (since I know that once I buy it it'll be changed to a DW one anyways let's just cut out the middleman here

Blowjob Slabs

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The penisface Dalek-human hybrid has not been used yet? thats a good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gaiman deserves a punch in the face for his last ten years of being an insufferable whimsy fucker

Still a good episode.

• Locked thread