Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Harriet Jones (Penelope Wilton)

Yes, we know who she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

Does he really care about helping others, or is this simply to get into the pants of a woman he's known for barely a week, if that?

It's interesting that you say this, because thinking about it for a moment this is just about the only convention of the show that doesn't get specifically pointed out right near the start, and it probably helps to understand: unless the end of one story explicitly leads directly into the next (like at the start of The End of the World, where she literally runs into the TARDIS and they're off on their very first trip), you should assume that there's been an indeterminate-but-not-too-long period of time between episodes, during which they went to a couple of places where nothing particularly notable happened and they just spent their time eating chips and sightseeing. So, for instance, between The Long Game and Father's Day, they might have been to the Middle Ages to meet Chaucer, then went on a safari in the prehistoric jungles of Deva Loka, and then insinuated their way onto a historians' trip to the Archive of the Orion Nebula Parliament; but they didn't run into any baddies, so the next time we see them is when Rose decides she wants to see her dad.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Rose and Mickey's accents are both closest to what linguists call MLE, which is the accent that's almost completely replaced Cockney among people who actually live in London. If they grew up further east, somewhere in Essex, they'd speak like the Doctor does; Estuary is what happened when actual Cockneys moved into Essex and their accent started merging with the similar-but-different local one.

Here's a couple of MLE speakers having a chat.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Both are true, to be fair. His first half dozen appearances or so are hilariously forced. Then with time, practice, and the ability to copy off Tony Head (whose own accent is closer to Spike's than Giles'), he improved tremendously. I wouldn't call it flawless, but it ended up as good as I could ask for from someone who hadn't spent a lot of time in England.

The one moment he gets it absolutely perfect is the time in Season 4 when someone (the Initiative?) comes looking for Spike, and he then ends up in a position where he's an American playing a British character who is then doing an unconvincing American accent. "Uh, I'm just a friend of Xander..." It's a tiny little moment, but it cracks me up every time for all the right reasons.

I always thought it actually kind of worked for the character that his accent isn't picture perfect, because he's spent 150-odd years travelling the globe, so clearly it's going to mutate from where he started, right?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

If anyone can shed light on just what the hell was happening in production with Mickey's tenure as a Companion, I'd appreciate it; it's always seemed to me like he was scripted in and viewer response to him was so negative that he was jettisoned immediately after.

Something that it'd probably help to know is that the only British drama shows that air episodes while others are still in production are the soaps. Everyone else, you shoot some material, you edit it, you air it, then you see what people think, then if you and the channel controller both want to, you make some more.

The indispensable A Brief History of Time (Travel) doesn't say anything, which indicates that everything involving Mickey this year proceeded according to the original plan in such a dull fashion that it wasn't worth mentioning; the idea was always to join, have him grow, and then leave again. Possibly RTD wanted to show an accelerated "standard companion" lifecycle to establish another convention of the show?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

AFAIK the trad/rad poo poo originates from slapfights on Usenet, which probably explains a lot.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

[*] Oh also, making Elton the star of the episode- The Doctor and Rose literally don't show up until the last ten minutes -was also a giant misstep because Marc Warren is an incredibly bad actor who couldn't sell any of the (bad) lines he was given.

Just to let you know, this happened because the idea of doing a Christmas special was only thought up after the show came back and was a massive hit, and the deal was that they could have a Christmas special if they didn't mind compressing the shooting schedule of S2 to have an extra episode in the same amount of time as last year. The solution eventually arrived at was to shoot two episodes at once, which naturally limits the amount of time Rose and the Doctor can be in it because for most of it, they're off making something else (it was double-banked with The Impossible Planet).

So yeah, have fun anticipating the next Doctor-lite story! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKADQnjQmc

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 4, 2014

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'm sorry, I have to take issue with this suggestion that that is a normal person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrrzSGEXsjI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

Random Thoughts:

• Baines: "Maid or matron? Your friend or your lover? Your choice."

I love this cliffhanger so much because for once they don't go down the usual completely cloth-headed route of asking the one question ("Oh no, the Doctor is in mortal danger, will he escape???") that we always know the answer to. It says "Doctor Who" in the title! Of course he's going to escape. I love that somebody was capable of thinking slightly outside the box for a change and making the critical question one that doesn't have an obvious answer.

• Locked thread