Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
I saw "Miracle Day" when it premiered on Starz. Just finished watching "Children of the Earth" based on comments in this thread. Both were really good.

Are the first two seasons really that bad? Any of it worth watching not on a camp/kitsch basis?

If the hyperbole is to be believed, can anyone explain why/how the concept was afforded such a complete tonal turnaround?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Who the hell just drinks seltzer?

The BEST people. :smug:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

Oh yeah definitely, all that talk on a subforum that didn't exist back when sa was super focused on being a glorified bbs with more 9-11 jokes and a heavy anarcho-libertarian streak

Yep

Prime place to discuss classic who

Says the guy who joined in 2009. :smug:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Is it possible for you guys to go one episode review without using "tonal," "tonally," or a variation of the word tone? You could almost make a drinking game of it. (And players would be drunk.)

As for the episode itself, I find Gaiman's other stories far better than this. I absolutely hated this "The Doctor's Wife" when I first saw it, and while a recent rewatch saw a more favorable response, it still not Top Ten.

It's the one where Rory and Amy run around in some tunnels for 20 minutes. Neat.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

I think the way Transmodiar phrased that was obnoxious but uh... You can absolutely write reviews without using "tone," and if you're leaning on the word, it's bad, and that pre-edit post was super-defensive. :shrug: I know they were being an rear end in a top hat (and they were even wrong about it), but if your knee-jerk instinct is to become defensive about word choice, then you might want to look at how you respond to criticism, particularly if you are interested in careers in writing :shobon:

Now you're making so jealous I never got to see the pre-edit post!

And I wasn't being an rear end in a top hat, I was legitimately curious. Because it is absolutely a staple of the reviews (which I enjoy) and it makes me laugh when every loving review dips into some discussion of how it's tonally this or that. I can't be the only one who sees it. (And now you'll never UNSEE it :smug:)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

It's so tonally dissonant

Attaboy. :smug:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

death .cab for qt posted:

Toxx, you should take a short break between S7 and S8 episodes of Doctor Who and do up reviews for the three Black Mirror episodes give the people of this thread a chance to catch up with his breakneck pace.

FTFY

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, Smith literally went to singing his praises about the next season of the show and how much he was enjoying his time to announcing his departure in the middle of the hiatus. Capaldi was even auditioned in secret, at Moffats house after he failed to get the role when Smith did.

My speculation is that Smith was all ready to do one final year until the budget problems made it apparent it would actually be another two years of commitment between filming, airing and promoting the show. The production gently caress ups have only just been fixed, and the Smith years suffer madly from the backstage drama. It's why five, when they are over spending but still have RTD's old crew around to fix things is the best, and it's also the best written because Moffat concentrated on the writing to such a degree it allowed those balls to drop.

Is there a place that digs deeper into all this behind the scenes stuff, or a discussion of Smith being on-board until his sudden about face? How out of the blue did his announcement to leave come?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

To further contribute to the Nier derail while we wait for Season Eight:

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/nier-yoko-taro-interview/

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Burkion posted:

I suggested Sliders, thank you.

Sorry, I already got that covered:

http://www.earthprime.com

:smug:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

if people want to criticize my reviews from objectivity like how they're written, review flow, and coherence, how i form and express my opinion I'm more than happy to engage on that level because i really would like to be a better writer and i'm trying to make sure that the reviews are entertaining to read, if anything I'd like to read more of it

Find the thesaurus entry for "tonal" and use it.

Don't use the word hagiography - or its derivations - more than once a review.

Give your review a once-over before posting so you can catch the grammatical and spelling errors we all see but never comment on.

*drops mic*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Is there a less... labor-intensive archive of this somewhere? Maybe an imgur album (or seven)?

Here you go

• Locked thread