Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stobbit
Mar 9, 2006
I've only ever read this thread and never participated, but gently caress it, I'm throwing my hat in the ring for this season's betting too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stobbit
Mar 9, 2006
Here's a video of Murray Gold himself belting out that incredible theme on the piano:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKrt5IVXQ7k

Stobbit
Mar 9, 2006
Ugh, gently caress this episode. When I was showing this episode to a friend, I prefaced it with "this episode is absolutely awful, but there's a moment about ten minutes from the end that you can tell Moffat wrote, and it's loving amazing." Hence my guess: Awful episode + amazing scene = F - 1 (D). I haven't rewatched it since 2011, so I must have misremembered how abhorrent this piece of poo poo is. Seriously, Series 5 is just ... and then this ... ugh.

Stobbit
Mar 9, 2006
I've emailed my Series 6 bets with the assumption that A Christmas Carol is the first episode of series 6. I own all of the boxsets, and the Christmas specials (ignoring that weird post-Season 4 pre-season 5 year) have always been the first episode of the following series. A Christmas Carol is on the first disc of "The Complete Series 6", so I've always considered it part of series 6.

Stobbit
Mar 9, 2006
Like others have mentioned, the big twist of this episode wasn't really that Oswin was a Dalek the entire time, it was more the fact that she was in the episode in the first place. She'd been announced as the next companion several months beforehand, her face had been all over various news articles and there were plenty of soundbytes of how excited Coleman was to join the series.

Her first shot on Doctor Who is literally of her popping up on-screen unexpectedly, and I think when that happened, many people (including myself) were really shocked. Having her not survive the episode added further intrigue - again, it was a great way to hide the twist that she was a Dalek because - as people have mentioned earlier - we knew she was coming back.

The best part after watching the episode was checking Twitter and having the official BBC account tweet something along the lines of "And here's a message from Jenna: 'Boo! Bet you weren't expecting that!'"

Ah, here's an article that explains it: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...l#ixzz3aGiQRfJZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stobbit
Mar 9, 2006
I also submit that An Adventure in Time and Space should be watched, even if a review isn't written. It, to me at least, was almost as integral to the 50th anniversary celebrations as The Day of the Doctor itself. I strongly recommend it before you get to Twelve's run.

• Locked thread