Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This looks pretty interesting! Here's my pitch:

(image from Split Lip Comics's pretty good comic version of the story, albeit a different version from the one I'm using)

Greta Vogel, who was once Fitcher's Bird

Greta Vogel is the third of three sisters, and most Fables know what that means. Third siblings are clever and quick, charged with saving their foolish elder siblings from peril, and for sisters, that's usually marriage to a monster -- murderers, thieves, trolls, or the Devil himself. In the case of Greta and her elder sisters, their monster bridegroom was a sorcerer named Fitcher, who kidnapped each sister in turn, killed the first two for their curiosity, and finally found his match in Greta. She resurrected her sisters, sent them home, disguised herself as a bird and put a dummy in her place, and then burnt Fitcher and his wedding party alive once they were all locked in. Soon she was home safely with her sisters again, and in time they even married more suitable men, men they could trust -- if never quite as much as they trusted each other. And that was that. Wasn't it?

When the Adversary arrived, the Vogel sisters' village was nearly defenseless, and Greta's husband and brothers-in-law were lost; it took all of Greta's cunning to help her sisters slip away and to keep them safe until they could join the Exodus. Integration into New York was easier; the Vogel sisters were simple village people, not yearning for hidden magic or lost kingdoms, and they found their niche in Fabletown easily enough. The three sisters operate the White Pigeon Tavern, a little bar with old-country ambiance (if you ignore the pool tables and dartboards), and Greta focuses her wit on the finances and business administration. Really, it should be like home, after Fitcher was dead and the story was over.

The only problem is that, ever since the exodus, Greta's felt this nagging sense of responsibility. Too many Fables, she realizes, are like her sisters: too drat curious for their own good, liable to trip into the forbidden without any precautions. They're all used to surviving and winning by the rules of the old world, and those rules don't apply anymore. Someone has to keep an eye on them -- someone clever and careful, someone who's used to being imprisoned and powerless, someone who can put the pieces back together when everything goes wrong. Someone like her.

Greta's extraordinary abilities mostly come from her quick wits and cool head, with a special talent for tricks, surprises, and traps. She can cobble together convincing disguises out of nearly anything -- after all, if you can roll in honey and feathers and pass for a bird, wearing a blue nylon jacket to pass for a cop is child's play. She might also be able to resurrect the dead, as she did with her sisters, but that's probably limited in scope due to sheer power; perhaps it needs to be someone with whom she's intimately familiar, or perhaps it requires a magic ointment or the Water of Life, as in other third-sister tales. Greta is not the third sister of all the stories, but she probably knows the others, if they made it to the Exodus. Clever third sisters and women fleeing monster-marriages need to stick together, after all.

EDIT: Character sheet:

pre:
Name		Greta Vogel
Sex		Female
Virtue		Prudence
Vice		Sloth
Concept		Clever Third Sister / Fitcher's Bird
Alignment	xxx
Affiliation	Sheriffs
Chronicle	Fables and Exodus

Attributes	
Intelligence    ••• 		Presence	••		Strength	••
Wits		•••		 Manipulation	•••		Dexterity	•••
Resolve		••••		 Composure	•••		Stamina		••

Skills
Academics	••		Animal Ken	•		Athletics	•
Computer			Empathy		••		Brawl		
Crafts		••		Expression			Drive		•
Investigation	•••		Intimidation			Firearms	••
Medicine	•		Persuasion	••		Larceny		••
Occult		••		Socialize	••		Stealth		•••
Politics	•		Streetwise	••		Survival	
Science				Subterfuge	••••		Weaponry	

Specialities
Academics (Accounting)
Crafts (Sewing)
Larceny (Lockpicking)
Occult (Raise Dead)
Subterfuge (Disguise)

Powers
Mega-Specialty: Disguise •••
(Alpha, increases base skill by 2 dots per dot of Mega-Specialty while using the specialty, 
or decreases penalty by 3 dots pre Mega dot)
Premonition •••  w/ Extra: My Brother's Keeper
(Beta, Spend 1 Verve to turn on danger sense for a scene for you or those within 4 yards)
Raise Dead ••• w/ Extra: True Resurrection and Weaknesses: Slow Activation, Costs Health
(Gamma, spend 1 health level and roll PL+Raise Dead+Occult to return the dead to life. The 
Extra "True Resurrection," assessed as two Extras for power cost purposes, indicates that the 
raised dead are returned to a truly living state, living until they would die again, with 
personalities and capabilities intact; however, as with the weakness "Pushing Daisies," Raise 
Dead imparts no special loyalty to the raised. This power takes a full scene of to activate, as 
it requires reassembling the dead and willing life into them again, so it can't be done under 
pressure.) 
Scan •••
(Alpha, spend 1 Verve to roll Int+Invest+Scan to reveal target's powers and weaknesses)

Merits
Allies (The Veiled Brides) (••)
Can call upon associates for favors, with a Manip+Persuasion+Allies roll if necessary. 
"The Veiled Brides" are a semi-public mutual-aid organization made up of women like Greta 
who escaped from a monstrous marriage through guile and presence of mind; contacts include 
Bluebeard's would-be wife Charlotte, her sister Anne, and Allison "Alle" Leirauh.  

Contacts (Taverngoers, Veiled Brides, Fabletown Government) (•••)
Can use contacts for information, using Manip+Persuasion or Manip+Socialize. 

Emotional Detachment (•)
Ignore stress penalties up to your Resolve rating.

Tolerance for Biology (•)
Avoids nausea due to gore and other biological unpleasantness; +2 to remain composed under 
those circumstances.

Resources (•••)
$2000 disposable income a month, $10,000 in assets. The White Pigeon Tavern is a fairly 
successful business, so Greta has a certain amount of money at her disposal, although she 
doesn't advertise that fact.

Weakness
N/A

Advantages
Health		 •••••|••
Willpower	 •••••|•
Power Level	 •
Verve		 •••••|•••••
Morality	 •••••|••
Size		 •••••
Speed		 •••••|•••••
Armour	
Defence		 •••
Initiative 	 •••••|•

XP:
Attribute: Intell. +1	15xp
Attribute: Presence +1	10xp
Attribute: Strength +1	10xp
Attribute: Wits +1	15xp
Power: Mega-Specialty 	 9xp
Power: Premonition 	15xp
Power: Raise Dead	21xp	
Power: Scan		 9xp
Skill: Animal Ken +1	 3xp
Skill: Drive +1		 3xp
Skill: Empathy +2	 6xp
Skill: Firearms +2	 6xp
Skill: Larceny +2	 6xp
Skill: Socialize +1	 6xp
Skill: Streetwise +2	 6xp
Specialty: Crafts	 3xp
Specialty: Larceny	 3xp
			---
		       146xp
The Raise Dead power as presented is a kludge, so tell me if I need to screw around with it to make it game-ready. Let me know if anything else seems strange.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Probe 17 posted:

Anti, I could totally imagine Hans stopping by their bar every now and then. Losing everyone and everything he holds dear has rendered him generally depressed.

Just, kinda trying to work out relationships and such, assuming we both get accepted.

Yeah, a big reason the bar is in the pitch was in hopes that it'd be a gathering-place sort of thing for PCs, and that'd be rad. (Hans sounds really cool, incidentally -- excellent source material choice.)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Robodog posted:

Well I took a punt on making a sheet, and it's edited into my BG post. I think it does but I'm really not sure if it works at all! Layering the More Than Human hack on top of it probably busted the whole thing. So if you gotta tear it all down mugrim, go ahead. Criticism helps to learn.

Not criticism, but a question: would you mind if I stole your pregenerated code for the character sheet? I'm about to take a stab at making a sheet too, and yours looks really clean and nice. Thanks!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Okay, I'm looking through the given superpowers, and it looks like there aren't really any options for true resurrection, just Raise Dead (which appears to make zombies barring an exceptional success). Do you have any suggestions for modeling the "put someone's body parts back together to return them to life" thing, or should I let it go?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Went ahead and edited my sheet + an image (a couple comic panels, but hopefully they'll suit, since the character isn't particularly unusual-looking) into my pitch post. Let me know if it's okay or if anything needs to be fixed.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

CaptainCarrot posted:

Toying around with the mythical Founding Father. Not a fable per se, but the idealized image of Washington et al. Honest, forthright, courageous, with a sustained distrust of distant government and period-appropriate condescension towards non-white-men.

Not to harsh your fun or anything, but as someone who submitted a female character, I'd really rather not play with someone who's going to patronize that character all the time as a permanent part of their nature, you know? Also Tsarevna might kill you.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

CaptainCarrot posted:

Hmm. Fair point. Would it be bothersome for (say) George Adams to be sexist in general occasionally, but treat Tsarevna like a respected colleague? And I'd imagine that he'd be working on the whole thing anyway, since while Jefferson et al. were products of their time, he's become something else.

Well, I'm not the GM and thus don't have a veto here, and if we're both in the game I'll play in good faith with the character, but I honestly can't think of a single time I've seen characters with old-timey prejudices against other PCs work out in a productive way, even if the intent was for the character to grow and get over it. It's also really uncomfortable to roleplay with if you're a member of one of the target groups, so I suppose my bias would be towards not dealing with the issue at all. Besides, wouldn't an idealized Founding Father take more from the whitewashed, "liberty and justice for all" folktales that ignore the prejudices of the times?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

CaptainCarrot posted:

Hmm. Good points. I'm not at all wedded to the prejudice thing, I just want the character to be flawed. Maybe instead he tends to run his mouth and be melodramatic, taking after the speeches and pamphlets we have from Paine and the like?

That sounds a billion percent more fun to me.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

mugrim posted:

Organizing a militia is fine, but guns are virtually unheard of.

Also, bump, deadline is Wed, OP is Thursday

Will those of us who have had sheets posted have them reviewed beforehand? I just want to make sure I don't have any dealbreakers as stands so that I can do revisions.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

mugrim posted:

You're fine, I would have said something if I didn't agree with it. It's great as is.

Okay, thanks. (After your comment about guns, I edited it to move the two dots of Firearms into Weaponry -- I figured Greta wasn't above having a clutch piece, however Mundy, but it's more thematically solid for her to just carry a clutch knife in case things go wrong.)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Welp, goin' back to Firearms then! I shall endeavor to make it fun.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I probably won't get to it tonight because I'm going out to a goonmeet (awww yeeah), but I've got some similar writeups in mind and will try to get them done if time/status permits.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Well, now my verisimilitudinousness is destroyed! Thaaaanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I'm really sorry, guys; between the tradgames design contest and getting school started again, I've been slammed and neglecting game stuff. I'll catch up with the thread and post tonight.

• Locked thread