Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Otunga is still with WWE.

*Edit* I'm surprised that Bruno and Hogan aren't in there now that both are working with WWE again.
Yeah exactly, like sure he's employed, but it's weird to me that they pulled 20 figures across the entirety of pro wrestling history and Otunga's one of them. He's even in one of the longer, lingering shots, before they get down to Hart/Flair/etc. and everything is going super fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

sportsgenius86 posted:

Rock identifies as Samoan

Really? Well I'll be damned.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Otunga was probably the guy they tasked with picking out the wrestlers to put in the video

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Valeyard posted:

Otunga was probably the guy they tasked with picking out the wrestlers to put in the video

We've got Costa del Cena. Rockville. Marina del H. Otungaburg...Otungaburg?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's one thing to post a picture of an attractive woman and go 'man she's hot.' It's another to go MAN I WOULD gently caress HER IN HER VAGINA, WHICH WOMEN HAVE, WITH MY PENIS, WHICH I HAVE

welp thats my post

and man when was the last time Otunga was on TV?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

It's one thing to post a picture of an attractive woman and go 'man she's hot.' It's another to go MAN I WOULD gently caress HER IN HER VAGINA, WHICH WOMEN HAVE, WITH MY PENIS, WHICH I HAVE

welp thats my post

and man when was the last time Otunga was on TV?

The Wrestlemania Battle Royale maybe

I agree, if you say someone is hot then it is pretty obvious you would like to do the sex with them anyway

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

I can't see any of these posts but Paul Heyman is almost 2 hours into a great interview on the MMA hour w/ Ariel Helwani right now.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Dean Ambrose, Wade Barrett, and Katsuyori Shibata are p. hot.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Celeste Bonin

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

oldpainless posted:

Does Batista do any powerbombs or obvious wrestling moves in GotG?

I'll even take a thumbs down cameo.

He hits a chokeslam on Korath-Thak iirc.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

masato tatanka posted:

I can't see any of these posts but Paul Heyman is almost 2 hours into a great interview on the MMA hour w/ Ariel Helwani right now.

Yeah, this was really good. Candidly talks about TNA, plus he even flat out says putting Cesaro with him was a mistake.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Solomonic posted:

He hits a chokeslam on Korath-Thak iirc.

Is this true? I'm still recovering from the disappointment of not seeing Kurt Angle suplex a shark.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My memory is hazy, but I think it was kind of a chokeslam into a Banebreaker.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Prince Devitt did an NXT interview and did not at any point call Renee Young a dickhead or even raise his voice. Eerie.

Sono posted:

Is this true? I'm still recovering from the disappointment of not seeing Kurt Angle suplex a shark.

Thinking back it might be one of the Sakaarans helping Korath in the same scene. Somebody definitely eats a chokeslam though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ribsauce posted:

Do you get mad when Christian Bale spends a weekend on a beach in Cabo instead of fighting crime? It is a TV show and he is an actor, you should be able to watch that and then accept Tuesday through Friday he is real life responsibilities, charity being one.

I had some friends over (who don't watch wrestling at all anymore) and we drank some beers and watched the Network. They were amazed by the sheer awesomeness but I told them so far it was considered a failure because it only had 700k subscribers. They thought that was a huge number and did not see how that was a failure. I was thinking about it and it is a lot of people. I am not sure how the WWE expected materially more. I am curious what their internal research and projections were like.

Appearing on NXT is not his real life responsibility. He can choose to do or not do that. He and Stephanie decide "Hey we're going to do this for no reason even though it is a WWE show and we act nothing like our characters." In real life he goes by Paul, not Triple H. He tells people dealing with him for his real life WWE job to call him Paul. He goes by HHH on NXT. So don't say that him being on NXT is equivalent to Bale going to the beach. If HHH went to the beach and wasn't a huge cock to everyone he saw, refusing to bury young kids in the sand or whatever, that would be a ridiculous thing to complain about. Wrestling is designed to have more of a reality element in it, where you are supposed to believe the people on screen are really doing things and this is who they are in real life. That's part of why you get invested and pay for poo poo.

Their internal research told them there were around 50 million people in the US with an affinity towards their programming. It told them that they would reach 1,000,000 subscribers by the end of the year and a minimum of 2,000,000 next year. They spent money and programmed the network with this in mind. They had spent 75 million before it even launched. Their own surveys state there is 90% customer satisfaction with the Network even though 14% of subscribers have already cancelled a service you aren't supposed to cancel. Their internal research is really bad.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Which he's flip flopped on, since he once said everyone including his wife calls him Hunter, so he didn't want to be called Paul by anyone.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Does MMA Hour archive? If so, what is the turnaround on it usually? I want to give that Heyman stuff a listen. I tried going onto the website, but it would not play when I tried, so I assume I missed it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DeathChicken posted:

Which he's flip flopped on, since he once said everyone including his wife calls him Hunter, so he didn't want to be called Paul by anyone.

People close to him probably call him Hunter, but other media outlets and investors will call him Paul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oOdl1ohdVE

Plus leaked internal documents have the initials PL, or use Paul when refering to him.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Solomonic posted:

Prince Devitt did an NXT interview and did not at any point call Renee Young a dickhead or even raise his voice. Eerie.

Thinking back it might be one of the Sakaarans helping Korath in the same scene. Somebody definitely eats a chokeslam though.

So weird seeing Devitt so softspoken.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

savinhill posted:

Because it was onscreen at Raw and the kickass returning hero shouldn't be looking like he's getting cozy with the badguy authority figures.

One thing people forget, or haven't pointed out, in all this discussion about Batista shaking HHH's hand was the second part of the equation, he then turned and refused Orton's handshake, and said he was going after him for the title. I don't think it was supposed to be some tremendous showing of love and affection for Trips (and it's not like shaking your boss' hand is a big thing, whether or not you like him), it was supposed to emphasize the disrespect toward Orton. Like "I'll even shake HHH's hand, but gently caress you." Whether or not it came across that way strongly enough, well, that's up for debate, but I can see what they were trying to do.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

One thing people forget, or haven't pointed out, in all this discussion about Batista shaking HHH's hand was the second part of the equation, he then turned and refused Orton's handshake, and said he was going after him for the title. I don't think it was supposed to be some tremendous showing of love and affection for Trips (and it's not like shaking your boss' hand is a big thing, whether or not you like him), it was supposed to emphasize the disrespect toward Orton. Like "I'll even shake HHH's hand, but gently caress you." Whether or not it came across that way strongly enough, well, that's up for debate, but I can see what they were trying to do.

In real life? No it isn't.

In the escape from reality entertainment that is pro wrestling? Yes it is.

Also, you know, Orton had only been propped up because of Triple H so hating only Orton is kind of missing the point.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Another Person posted:

Does MMA Hour archive? If so, what is the turnaround on it usually? I want to give that Heyman stuff a listen. I tried going onto the website, but it would not play when I tried, so I assume I missed it.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/4/5964189/the-mma-hour-with-jon-jones-alexander-gustafasson-randy-couture-paul about 35 min in, I'm sure they'll post it as it's own segment too

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

In real life? No it isn't.

In the escape from reality entertainment that is pro wrestling? Yes it is.

Also, you know, Orton had only been propped up because of Triple H so hating only Orton is kind of missing the point.

But this is the reality era, there is no escape from reality to be found!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Valeyard posted:

Celeste Bonin

Probably your best post ever.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Coming in to reiterate that Drax-tista rules.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Yeah, GotG was pretty drat good, and this is coming from someone not all that big into comics

long live THE ANIMAL

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Dean Ambrose needs to do all the morning news shows.

http://dean-ambrose.net/?p=3527

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

Writer Cath posted:

:swoon:

I need the face he makes after "frenemies" GIFed so hard.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Writer Cath posted:

I can't wait for the Texas-style main event

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Frankston posted:

I can't wait for the Texas-style main event

Roman is the only one who'll be safe, that riot gear doubles as body armor.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That Devitt interview broke my brain because I thought his character was basically "bombastic Irish dickbag" but there he seemed super quiet and super nice. :)

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Writer Cath posted:

That leather jacket. :vince:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Dean Ambrose, would you describe yourself and Seth Rollins as frenemies?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

MassRafTer posted:

Their internal research told them there were around 50 million people in the US with an affinity towards their programming. It told them that they would reach 1,000,000 subscribers by the end of the year and a minimum of 2,000,000 next year. They spent money and programmed the network with this in mind. They had spent 75 million before it even launched. Their own surveys state there is 90% customer satisfaction with the Network even though 14% of subscribers have already cancelled a service you aren't supposed to cancel. Their internal research is really bad.

What a flawed survey. I imagine it was done in a way where everyone who liked it at one point would be led to answer they have an affinity for pro wrestling. I do not know a single male who was in middle or high school in 1999 who would not say "Hell yea I loved pro wrestling, are you insane?" I am sure there is a male or two somewhere who did not watch the product in 1999, but I never met them. However, if you followed up with "Do you still watch it" they would look at you like an idiot and say no immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That Devitt interview broke my brain because I thought his character was basically "bombastic Irish dickbag" but there he seemed super quiet and super nice. :)

I vaguely remember him being pretty respectful and nice on the Art of Wrestling podcast he did. Anyways, it looks like it's RAW time everyone! You don't have to go home to post, but you can't stay here and post.

• Locked thread