Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I really enjoyed Raw, but even when I enjoy Raw, 3 hours is just way too long for a weekly show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

I love you not in spite of the fact that you're mister positivity, but because of it. Let's start there.

This Raw wasn't the wost I've seen, but it wasn't great, so I'm not talking about this Raw at all in terms of this post. But that being said, there is definitely some serious Stockholm syndrome that surrounds WWE. Maybe that term is too strong, though. But I recognize the sentiment. I had it with TNA for a long time.

I think it might be more in line with reality calling it the Sunk Cost Fallacy.

A lot of people defend horrible poo poo WWE does, from behind the curtain to on the shows, when they shouldn't.

This Raw was okay, though, so I probably shouldn't be making this point on this particular day. I just think dismissing somebody entirely for utilizing some hyperbole about a real thing isn't something I can get on board with.

To be entirely clear this is often a fine sentiment but someone flying off the handle about Bo loving Dallas losing and actually showing positive character development baffles me. Many weeks, MOST weeks even, there is a thing or multiple things that're worth going "WAIT AND SEE AMIRITE WWE BOOKING IS DUMB" but I don't see where any of those existed this week, which yes, is a rarity! That's part of why I liked it so much!

If it was a joke post and I can't read tone for poo poo, that's one thing. I mostly commented on it because the last five GrimGypsy posts I could remember might as well have been copy/pastes of that last post. I wasn't flying off the handle saying "how dare someone besmirch that Raw!", I was genuinely asking what the gently caress because not only does Bo losing not mean poo poo, they actually did something good with it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Christ, people. That was a great Raw. Yea, there was stuff that sucked about it, but it's a three hour show. Not every segment is going to be perfect. Go watch an Attitude Era Raw. There's plenty of dogshit segments on those two hour shows, but the stuff that mattered was great and it was the same way last night.

Cena-Cesaro was really good though I expect opinions on that will change now that Lord Meltzer has shared his opinion. The opening promos were good. The final segment was superb. Rusev-Swagger was really good. Paige-AJ was effective. The Bo bit is ultimately meaningless but they needed to give him some life and they absolutely did that here. They built really well to Summerslam.

It's going to be like anything else here where some people overrate it and some people underrate it but I'd go so far as to say anyone claiming that Raw was bad is an idiot.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I hope people don't sour on that Cena match just because Meltzer did. It was really good and made both guys look strong. And it started because Cesaro dissed Cena's ring gear!

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Yeah Raw was good and I was pretty excited for most of it and didn't think that maybe I was gonna fall asleep so I count it as a win. And I really liked the Cesaro/Cena match, even if it was botchy. I'd rather have things mixed up a bit with some energy in it than the same old thing every time

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Dave was just saying the main guy in the company shouldn't be making rookie mistakes. Match was fine. Jeez.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

weekly font posted:

Dave was just saying the main guy in the company shouldn't be making rookie mistakes. Match was fine. Jeez.

From what people are saying, it sounds like the guy was getting pretty mad about it. Not really a just saying sitch.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Raw had a major flaw in that it lacked Dean Ambrose who is the best thing in all of wrestling. Other than that it was pretty good. Cena/Cesaro was nice, but not the instant classic their match from February was so it's legit to be a bit disappointed. They really gotta find a big program for Cesaro and soon.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Spikeguy posted:

From what people are saying, it sounds like the guy was getting pretty mad about it. Not really a just saying sitch.

Well, it happens all the time. Fifteen time champion John Cena decade long veteran of the ring face of the company has been bad at this stuff for a long time and really has no impetus to improve. I dunno why Dave picked tonight to get salty about it though. :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apparently there is now an official BRIE MODE shirt so women can warn you that they're really drunk.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Endless Mike posted:

Apparently there is now an official BRIE MODE shirt so women can warn you that they're really drunk.

Also a Roman Reigns shirt and a Dean Ambrose shirt.

I...don't like either of them, really.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Reigns' shirt is fine but the Ambrose one is lazy as all hell.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Endless Mike posted:

That doesn't even make sense. Her name's already Brie. There's no additional amount of Brie she can be to constitute a mode....

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Big Dave is a good news source but when it comes to his reviews and what he did/didn't like I very often disagree with him. The Cena/Cesaro match was great and if he had a problem with it then whatever. Not gonna affect my opinion.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

The Ambrose logo is loving perfect though

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

kidcoelacanth posted:

I don't mind the design, I just think I could do without the big loving design on the back. Or at least make it smaller.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Ambrose/Reigns shirts suck, but who cares, because they finally got these:

http://shop.wwe.com/The-Wyatt-Famil...rt=5&cgid=wyatt

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like both of the shirts. I mean I'm not blown away by them but as WWE shirts go I think they're solid at worst.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'd wear the Reigns one but the Ambrose one is boring, which an Ambrose product should never be.

The Brie Mode shirt is perfect for your next wine and cheese tasting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Perigryn posted:

That doesn't even make sense. Her name's already Brie. There's no additional amount of Brie she can be to constitute a mode....
That doesn't make any less sense than Hulk Hogan Hulking up, but in any case, Total Divas explained to use that BRIE MODE is when Brie gets really, really drunk, though the announcers have been trying to co-opt it to her version of the former meaning.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Perigryn posted:

Well, duh she is always in Brie mode, and now everyone who wears this shirt can be, too.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

TheJoker138 posted:

The Ambrose/Reigns shirts suck, but who cares, because they finally got these:

http://shop.wwe.com/The-Wyatt-Famil...rt=5&cgid=wyatt

"Wear it as is or cut off the sleeves for an authentic Luke Harper look." Cute. Also, don't wash it or shower.

Dig the DA logo but the shirt sucks. Roman's logo looks like a butterfly.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
I hope Ambrose gets that DA logo sewed into his ring jeans.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

or Brie Mode is just a dumb fun thing so who loving cares

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

Well, duh she is always in Brie mode, and now everyone who wears this shirt can be, too.

She doesn't get Brie, she stays Brie.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Endless Mike posted:

That doesn't make any less sense than Hulk Hogan Hulking up, but in any case, Total Divas explained to use that BRIE MODE is when Brie gets really, really drunk, though the announcers have been trying to co-opt it to her version of the former meaning.
They don't usually say "Hulking Up", apart from that one time David Flair said it.

If she had a Drunken Master gimmick, it'd work. And now that they have a Twisted Tea sponsorship, they can probably work that in...

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
What did Big Dave say about the match?

I thought it was great.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Atticus Finch posted:

I thought it was great.
Audible move calling, Cena insisting on doing moves he's not able to, etc

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Atticus Finch posted:

I thought it was great.

He thought it was a sloppy match and Cena looked really bad, but he also recognized that it told a good story and that the crowd was hot for it.

Perigryn posted:

Audible move calling, Cena insisting on doing moves he's not able to, etc

Yeah, and he also noted that Cena's timing was way off. I personally didn't see Cena's moves as being really sloppier than normal, but something was definitely off with the timing of several of the spots in that match.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cena's hurricanrana was hilarious.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I liked the Cena Cesaro match except for a couple times where it looked sloppy as hell. Also John Cena should not be doing hurricanranas and monkey flips. Please stick to the powerbombs. That was awesome. I also did not care for Brie Stephanie. It wasn't horrible it's just not something I care about or want to see :shrug:

I liked Raw this week though overall! The tag match and Jericho-Rollins were good and so was the Sagger-Rusev battle and Naomi's crazy leg finisher submission thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

Cena's hurricanrana was hilarious.

The weird thing about that hurricanrana is he's done it before without botching and it's looked way, way better.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

The weird thing about that hurricanrana is he's done it before without botching and it's looked way, way better.

It has always looked like poo poo IMO. That was by far the worst one though. That spot looked like something from a Divas match.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, it's one of his BIG MATCH moves. He's actually very good at it. Last night was weird. He was busting out the poo poo he normally doesn't do to further the story from the promos. "You can't wrestle." "I'll wrestle circles around you." But that doesn't forgive him doing it sloppy. It was a good story but not that well executed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

It has always looked like poo poo IMO. That was by far the worst one though. That spot looked like something from a Divas match.

Oh, it's never looked GREAT, but it hasn't ever looked like he just broke his drat neck trying to do it like this one did, either.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The flying body Cesaro did that I imagine Cena was supposed to catch mid air but botched it was real bad too.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Big Dave spitting the real. Cena embarrassed and exposed himself because of his hubris.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I kind of like this Brie/Steph feud because the two are acting like they actually hate each other. If their match starts out with a lock up I'll be really disappointed...

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Astro7x posted:

I kind of like this Brie/Steph feud because the two are acting like they actually hate each other. If their match starts out with a lock up I'll be really disappointed...

Brie Bella and Stephanie McMahon: Wrestlers noted for working off the collar and elbow tie. In all seriousness, I hope Brie starts adopting Bryan's move set. That would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
One thing I liked about the opener is that it made Cesaro look like more of a credible threat. There's no way he'd be going over Cena this close to Summerslam, but he cut a great promo with Paul Heyman and it's cool to see him lasting a while in the ring and getting near-falls on the champ after losses against Ambrose and a whole sheaf of midcarders, and losing in the battle royale. Shame the match itself was sloppy. I hope this isn't wishful thinking on my part and they're just making him look like a slightly-more-capable jobber.

Really liked this week, last week put me to sleep so that makes this one better for me for sure.

• Locked thread