Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

oatgan posted:

And he got suspended for them!

Less a suspension and more a paid vacation, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Great White Hope posted:

He's also right because if two shows are going against each other, when something bad is happening on one show you can flip to the other, so you get to see the best hours possible instead of going 'ugh just finish this segment already'.

Worked great for TNA in 2010! :v: You can't just look at it that way, that's putting the cart before the horse. There DOES need to be competition, but it's not Vince's fault that the only thing close for the last 10-ish years was run by people who had everything they needed to theoretically create that but they were too stupid to.

I guess what I'm saying is I feel like there are undertones of it being Vince's fault that it's basically a monopoly when really if you had to create a Mount Rushmore of Business Killers it should be Russo, Bischoff, Hogan, and Dixie Carter, not Vince.

DrVenkman posted:

Oh no of course, I'm not saying he has anything new to say. It's just funny to see The Big Bad Booty Daddy do it while he momentarily slips out of character. I'm going through the attitude era again and while there's some unabashed abandon to it (Like a coked up Shane O'Mac on the Wrestlemania Rage Party) it's also sadly some real ugly stuff there. The 'Women as gently caress objects' thing was at its height (Conversely while having a decent women's division) and they were pulling bullshit like giving birth to a hand.

What I do like though is that there was a willingness to try new ideas that's missing now. Yes quality control went down and it's definitely a product of its time, but there was an attitude (get it) of 'gently caress it, lets try it' that's missing now. Yes the overall writing is better now, but it's all sterile and overwritten and there's little freedom afforded to the wrestlers.

Agreed on all counts and I think, like I said, the thing that's the problem now with not affording that freedom is too much scripting. The Pipe Bomb, ARGUABLY one of the best single moments in the modern era, came from them telling Punk to just go off script.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 29, 2014

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I really don't have any nostalgia for the Attitude Era, because from what I've seen it was filled with a lot of misogynistic, sexist, racist, and homophobic poo poo that I have no desire to see again. Do I think the current promos could be spiced up with some "attitude"? Sure. But I'd rather not go back to that era.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

keevo posted:

Also why the gently caress did they end Bo's streak tonight? I just wanted 21 and Bo.

I think it was the right move to end it now and move on to Bo snapping and doing a post-match beating. Too many more weeks of Bo spouting his catchphrase and winning a 30 second match and he's into Adam Rose territory. You have to pull the trigger on the rest of his character pretty quick if you want anyone to keep caring about him.

Cromulent posted:

They said he was on a "promotional tour", but then he appeared in the dark segment, so who knows. Smarks will probably say they're trying to cool him down since he's been getting the biggest pops, but there have been plenty of times were Cena isn't on the show, but is in the dark match.

triplexpac posted:

I just assume WWE has painted themselves into a corner, where now if Dean isn't around loving up Seth's life it seems really weird. So they need to find reasons to keep them apart, which is hard when you have to write like 6 hours of TV every week.

I also suspect they wanted to do the Randy Orton beatdown on Reigns segment and it would have been a little weird if Ambrose hadn't come out to interfere in such a long attack, even if the Shield is no more. I suppose they could have had Ambrose come out and Rollins stop him, but I think it was a smarter move to keep the focus solely on those two for that segment if they want a good build on that feud.

And yeah, they probably also wanted to do the Rollins/Jericho match with the Wyatt ending and it would have been weird if Ambrose was there but hadn't been involved in that. I suppose they could have used someone else in place of Rollins, but maybe Jericho wanted to work with him or something, who knows.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Acrolos posted:

I want to enjoy him, but I'm getting sick of his matches looking like the way I play wrestling video games. Basically, he just waits around until he can hit his power move (the superman punch), and he does it over and over. Even in a night where he was basically just getting his rear end kicked, he threw two superman punches.

I'd take Reign's one move of doom that looks cool over Cena's five meh moves (I hate his shoulder tackles).

Reigns is still cool in my books, if the future of the company is a no nonsense bad rear end samoan dude who although only does like four moves makes them all look amazing, I'll be happy.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The present-day product has all the tools to be a creative success. The saturation of content just makes it hard for them to put it all together in a tight, compelling package. Everything tends to feel spread out and tired, even when the in-ring action is of a higher quality than it's ever been. "Attitude Era writing" certainly has its strong and weak points, but it generally managed to leave the viewer wanting more. That's the main factor that's missing today IMO. There's gotta be a way to evoke that sense of urgency in the programming, even if there isn't another wrestling show on a different channel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

I'd take Reign's one move of doom that looks cool over Cena's five meh moves (I hate his shoulder tackles).

Reigns is still cool in my books, if the future of the company is a no nonsense bad rear end samoan dude who although only does like four moves makes them all look amazing, I'll be happy.
Um, the hair flip counts as five.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

Squsher?? Snake Eyes??

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Two Beans posted:

Squsher?? Snake Eyes??

Call me when he can do a 450 moonbomb.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

Like a coked up Shane O'Mac on the Wrestlemania Rage Party

What's this?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Endless Mike posted:

I am so down. I still think Roman owns, possibly least out of all three former Shield guys all considered but my point has always been calling him the most underwhelming ex-Shield guy is not a knock because they're three amazing talents, and at least for now I'd love to see each and every one of them is a top guy.

Roman is most what WWE typically looks for; he really is like, a Samoan lovechild of Nash and Goldberg and he's got undeniable flaws but is still super entertaining to watch more often than not IMHO, and I'm not gonna hate Roman just because he's not Ambrose. As far as WWE Ubermensch types, you could do a lot worse than Roman. You could do better (Cesaro springs to mind) but I still really like what Reigns brings to the table and have no issues with him getting the rocket push.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Glad to see Curtis Axel get some love for his work in training Brock and Rock for their matches
http://www.wwe.com/inside/curtis-axel-the-rock-interview-26525875

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
The problem with Reigns is that there are several new wrestlers that deserve this mega push far more than Reigns does.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

triplexpac posted:

Scott Steiner promos sure weren't PG haha

oatgan posted:

And he got suspended for them!

Supposedly he liked to go off-script and also just randomly go out and deliver promos nobody asked for or approved

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheEggsBenedict posted:

The problem with Reigns is that there are several new wrestlers that deserve this mega push far more than Reigns does.

Ambrose and Cesaro I'll grant, but who else unless you're counting like KENTA? Also in terms of talent I'll grant you Cesaro, but he doesn't get reactions, Reigns does. Yes that's WWE's fault, but they're pushing a guy in Reigns who is mad over and certainly brings stuff to the table. If all other things were equal and Reigns wasn't getting the push but rather say, oh, a face Orton was, I guarantee you people would be calling WWE dumb for not pushing Reigns. You can call WWE dumb for not pushing Dean or Cesaro rather than Roman maybe, but that doesn't mean they're inherently dumb for pushing Roman.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Ambrose and Cesaro I'll grant, but who else unless you're counting like KENTA? Also in terms of talent I'll grant you Cesaro, but he doesn't get reactions, Reigns does. Yes that's WWE's fault, but they're pushing a guy in Reigns who is mad over and certainly brings stuff to the table. If all other things were equal and Reigns wasn't getting the push but rather say, oh, a face Orton was, I guarantee you people would be calling WWE dumb for not pushing Reigns. You can call WWE dumb for not pushing Dean or Cesaro rather than Roman maybe, but that doesn't mean they're inherently dumb for pushing Roman.

I assume he's referring to NXT guys as well

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Luneshot posted:

I really don't have any nostalgia for the Attitude Era, because from what I've seen it was filled with a lot of misogynistic, sexist, racist, and homophobic poo poo that I have no desire to see again. Do I think the current promos could be spiced up with some "attitude"? Sure. But I'd rather not go back to that era.

yeah I've tried going back and rewatching attitude era shows and I just can't do it anymore lmao when I was a kid and not socially aware at all it rarely bothered me but at age 24 it's a very different story

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Roman Reigns's problem is (and is going to be down the road) that he's perceived as a guy who WWE wants, and thus no matter how good he is he'll get crapped on by the same people who chant CM Punk at WWE World Heavyweight Champion Daniel Bryan for not crippling himself.

See also: These kinds of fans still hold 18 seconds against Sheamus even though that was easily the best thing to happen for Daniel Bryan's WWE career until WM30.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

I assume he's referring to NXT guys as well

Well it's sort of dumb to criticize WWE for not pushing NXT guys over an established guy no matter how talented they are. I wanna see Sami Zayn become the next Daniel Bryan without injuries as much as the next guy, but really now.

This is coming from someone who's voiced frustration about Sami's booking in NXT and said that he should either be NXT Champ or called up already.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Like who?

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

mkay0 posted:

Like who?

Was mainly referring to Rollins, Ambrose, and Cesaro.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Every time Cena does one of his high flying moves it just reminds me of a cat that doesn't want to be picked up.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

mkay0 posted:

Like who?

r-truth

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kane

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
Also this. Push Bull Dempsey too.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
There is also the Dustbros who need a massive push because THEY HAVE IT and they want to have it because they got it.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I, for one, hope WWE gives this young upstart Real Estate Steve (or as WWE followers might know him, Sting) a legitimate chance to succeed. :ohdear:

Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT
Was that the first time Jericho and Rollins have fought each other? I can't seem to get Cagematch to work today, but I can't think of another match and they seemed to click pretty well.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Was mainly referring to Rollins, Ambrose, and Cesaro.

I love Rollins but there's no way WWE would be smarter if they were giving the push to him that Reigns is getting. Ambrose I will concede because he's incredible AND getting reactions on the level that Roman is but the other issue there is the fact that I think Ambrose and Rollins need each other so much right now that it's dumb to theoretically push them instead. I think WWE has handled the Shield breakup and early singles careers exactly, perfectly right, and I say this as someone who thinks Ambrose could and should eventually be an absolute megastar.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

edit: no but seriously he's going to get a "gold watch" championship at some point soon right?

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

TheEggsBenedict posted:

guys i'm getting tired of roman reigns

'Cause he's kinda boring and very limited.

He looked amazing in the shield 'cause Ambrose and Rollins could do everything then he can come in, do his big moves and win the match. But on his own it's like he doesn't know how to do anything else.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Roman Reigns push is stupid because there shouldn't be a defined "top guy". WWE is always at its worst when they're trying to shove some muscle bound putz down people's throats (Hogan, Diesel, 2003ish HHH, Cena) and is always at it's best when there a group of equals on top (attitude era, smackdown six, any time in the past few years Cena has been hurt).

Cesaro, Rollins, Bryan, Wyatt, Ambrose, Ziggler, Reigns, etc.. can all share the top of the card if WWE stops insisting on building their programming around one person.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Why cookie Rocket posted:

edit: no but seriously he's going to get a "gold watch" championship at some point soon right?

the only gold watch kane should get is a gold-buying show on the home shopping network, because if they give him the belt i am going to throw a brick through vince's window

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Why cookie Rocket posted:

That already happened in 2010

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

This is great http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/7/29/5948887/every-time-wwe-goes-to-knoxville-john-cena-sings-rocky-top

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Great White Hope posted:

Roman Reigns's problem is (and is going to be down the road) that he's perceived as a guy who WWE wants,
Yeah, while it's fine now if they give Roman Reigns the super push while Ambrose or Bryan(when he comes back) get bigger crowd responses, I can see a large section of the crowd turn on Roman Reigns. Being perceived as the guy WWE wants didn't work for Sheamus, Batista, Orton, etc. We'll see where things go in the next 6 months leading to Wrestlemania but if they revolt it's either going to be a Cena thing with less merch to justify the mixture of cheers and boos, or a Batista where its boos, apathy, and a couple mild cheers.

Triple H should be doing everything in his power to screw over Roman Reigns, not putting him in title match fatal four ways and mildly letting Randy Orton take care of it. Might remove the stigma if done right. They're just trying too hard to make him look like "the guy" as opposed to making it feel natural like it did when The Shield was still around.

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 29, 2014

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Please don't tell me they're planning to turn Orton again. Big mistake if they do. He's a cold heel, but he's basically the full-time top heel. His face upside is low right now, and it'll be even worse in a few months.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Why would they turn Orton when we already have an... unstable face?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Daniel Bryan posted:

Please don't tell me they're planning to turn Orton again. Big mistake if they do. He's a cold heel, but he's basically the full-time top heel. His face upside is low right now, and it'll be even worse in a few months.

He just viciously beat down one of the biggest babyfaces in the company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Paulocaust posted:

The Roman Reigns push is stupid because there shouldn't be a defined "top guy". WWE is always at its worst when they're trying to shove some muscle bound putz down people's throats (Hogan, Diesel, 2003ish HHH, Cena) and is always at it's best when there a group of equals on top (attitude era, smackdown six, any time in the past few years Cena has been hurt).

Cesaro, Rollins, Bryan, Wyatt, Ambrose, Ziggler, Reigns, etc.. can all share the top of the card if WWE stops insisting on building their programming around one person.

Except they're not? With the exceptions of Cesaro and Ziggler literally every one of those dudes are being pushed like future megastars and/or current ones, and it's not WWE's fault Bryan's dead. You do need one, singular, top program. That's what sells, that's what's always sold. Right now it's Cena/Lesnar as it should be. But Reigns/Orton and Ambrose/Rollins are basically in exactly the same spot right now in the uppercard and are being treated with the same amount of gravity. Same with Steph/Brie which I'm gonna argue is a proxy for Bryan. Then under that is Jericho/Wyatt which is perfectly slotted as an upper midcard feud Wyatt can (and should) win to boost credibility.

Just because they might be pushing Reigns more doesn't mean there aren't other guys getting major and/or appropriate pushes. They are dropping the ball with Cesaro, and I'd have him be the Authority muscle rather than THEDEMONKANE but even with a guy like Ziggler who's a real cool wrestleman and a cool dude I get the hesitance considering he KILLS himself selling and has a concussion history.

• Locked thread