Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khorne
May 1, 2002
This show is amazing.

withak posted:

Apparently Libby's aunt was decades ahead of the rest of the world on the subject of plate tectonics.
Libby is the most infuriating character on the entire show. I've never been mad at a tv show before, but everything to do with her and the nanny was infuriating.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Jesus did things shift things into high gear in a single episode.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
Can Pretzel King somehow become friends with Austin or something? This show needs that man back in some capacity.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The pacing of this season is so awful when the show suddenly remembers the study can go on and brings it all back as if the past five episodes kinda didn't happen. Surprisingly, this was an actually interesting episode. Watching Masters get cold and robotic about sex is chilling, though.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 25, 2014

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I agree with the pacing of this season. The first half dragged, and then we get an episode like tonight with a significant time jump.

Tonight's episode was good. So so so good. Watching Betty's transition to a CPA and the start of the new business was great. I knew the last few weeks would have a payoff and this was it. Slow burn, but a big finished.

Welcome back, Show. :D

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Apoplexy posted:

Sarah Silverman was in the nude on tonight's episode. I am not exactly surprised, as she happens to rule and likely doesn't think revealing her breasts is nearly as personal as her stories of being a teenager told to take more Prozac than is healthy for a hundred people, or when her psychiatrist killed himself in his office when she was out in the waiting room, or a dozen other really deep and amazing things. It's just a mark of someone seriously committed to acting, something you rarely see from a comedian doing one of their first non-comedic acting jobs.

She was nude a few years back in the movie "Take this Waltz" so it's not like this new or a first step for her.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Boy this should have happened a few episodes ago. They could have seriously cut 4 episodes out of what they've aired so far

Episode 1: The study lands at Memorial, gets tossed in a similar fashion. Bill and Virginia start the hotel part of their affair. Bill admits the affair to his mother and gives her the boot.
Episode 2: "The Fight"
Episode 3: Basically last night's episode with a bit of sanding around the edges to make the plot work.

Remove all the Libby stuff. Keep all the Betty and Lillian stuff since none of it was particularly time-sensitive. Sprinkle in that little bit of Beau Bridges and Allison Janney wherever.

If last night's episode had aired last month, the show would have set itself up for a good season. Hopefully now that it's gotten there, the wheels won't spin uselessly anymore.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Why did Betty refer to herself as Uncle Betty instead of Aunt Betty? I assume it must be a reference to something, but all I can find is some Canadian restaurant and that doesn't really fit within the context of the scene.

zealott
Mar 30, 2004
This weeks episode was fantastically paced, shot, and directed. Everything was firing again after a few weeks of less interesting storytelling. I thought we got terrific performances from everyone in the lead cast.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I'm really surprised that there's not a longer thread for this show. I was expecting to look in TVIV and see endless pages of analysis about some reference like in the Mad Men threads.

I actually love this show for the same reason I loved a lot of the more lacklustre Mad Men episodes; it's simply great to look at and I enjoy watching the characters in their universe. The stand out episodes are obvious, although I wasn't so sure about the time jump as I kinda felt there was some interesting stuff they skipped over, but generally it's a good watch in the vast majority of weeks.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

less laughter posted:

Why did Betty refer to herself as Uncle Betty instead of Aunt Betty? I assume it must be a reference to something, but all I can find is some Canadian restaurant and that doesn't really fit within the context of the scene.

Probably just a joke about playing with the genders.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I don't know, I didn't love that episode, same as I haven't loved many this season. It was jarring.

BUT, I am happy that we seem to be back on track after this!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This time-skip has some of the most unlikely stuff happenening for the sake of plot I've ever seen. They want to keep Betty in the show because she's likeable but ran into the problem that she has no reason to stick around, so Bill hires her as his secretary despite the fact that as far as he knows she has no talent for it whatsoever, oh and also he always hated her. Virginia has no reason to sell diet pills anymore, but for some reason they want to keep Artemis from It's Always Sunny about, so she just happens to buy a space in Masters' gigantic office he only bought because a big space is easier to film in.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I can't believe we have to deal with another stupid Libby/racism subplot

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Libby is the worst part of this show, which is a shame because Caitlin Fitzgerald was absolutely wonderful in the first season. She's a strong actress but they're giving her such lovely storylines.

Betty is my favorite part of the show and I love how they've crafted her character. I'd be okay with more Betty and less Libby.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, although Libby became less lovely this last episode, she's still the worst by a wide margin.

Anyway, after Fight I felt like there was a decline in quality but the last couple of episodes seem to be ramping things up again, so I think this season still has a decent chance of working out well overall. They seriously need to just drop Libby or make her not horrible ASAP, though.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I believe that Masters & Johnson get married in 1971 once Masters divorces his wife --- so we've got a long way to go unless we get another time jump. We have another season at least so it's definitely not happening this season.

Libby is a good character in small quantities. Or when they're giving her better storylines. Right now, I don't really want to see her. I don't mind Dr. Austin - he's really turned around in my mind. I'm intrigued to see where he goes in his new role.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Libby's misery is going to be cured by a black man's penis. Otherwise I can't think why she keeps getting lovely racism story lines.

I wonder what the real life Masters children make of this show? I've not read the book, so not sure how much artistic licence they have taken with Libby, but I feel kinda sorry for her being portrayed as such a lunatic.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I'm assuming that Libby and Coral's brother (I forgot the character's name) are going to have sex. The way she keeps staring at him seems very sexual.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaussian posted:

I really wish more people watched this show.

The show is capable of being astonishingly good when it focus on Bill and Virginia, and really terrible when it's just a lot of short scenes with supporting characters trying to move the plot along. "The Fight" is easily both the best episode of the series and one of the best episodes of the year from any show, which is why it's so frustrating when the writers decide to try to cram in a bunch of latter like they don't understand what makes the show work. The brother storyline looks like it could be interesting, it's kind of shoehorned in but the character is already way more interesting than any other of the supporting characters in this season already. There were some strong scenes with Sheen and Caplan as well, even if it's far past time to cut bait with the whole Lester thing, the way they did with Coral.

courtney_beth posted:

Libby is the worst part of this show, which is a shame because Caitlin Fitzgerald was absolutely wonderful in the first season. She's a strong actress but they're giving her such lovely storylines.

It feels almost like they were worried she'd become too sympathetic since in the first season she was only ever an unwitting victim of Bill, and decided to turn her into a weirdly neurotic racist.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Slate has a cool article about the set design of the show and how it reinforces the ideas within the script.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/09/08/masters_of_sex_set_design_showtime_series_uses_homes_furniture_and_more.html

mmtt
May 8, 2009
Just came here to say last night episode was pretty much awesome. I didn't think The Fight was as good as other goons have clamoured it to be although it still was good but I really liked what they did in this one, how the characters came down, facing with their own truths and issues, something we can all relate too in a way.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I didn't much care for "The Fight" either, and I think the Virginia and Bill affair has been mostly wheel-spinning this whole season. The study turning toward sexual dysfunctions, the Betty love triangle and Lilian dying have all been better plots than watching them eye each other in a hotel room over and over.

Last night's episode was the only time this whole racial plotline with Libby has gone anywhere remotely tolerable, so points there.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Gini was awful in this episode. I usually enjoy her confidence and assertiveness, but this week she went too far in playing therapist. The scenes with Barbara were heartbreaking, and I winced when she was crying and looking in the mirror.

And more with Betty please! Did her ex marry that boring guy? I hope they are happy and living together and that Sarah Silverman will be back soon.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Betty's scenes are always great -- Annaleigh Ashford's dry delivery steals every scene that she is in. I wouldn't mind more Betty screen time.

I said this last year and I'll say it again: this show has an amazing supporting cast and they're more interesting and engaging than the two leads.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Had an amazing supporting cast. The only one that's actually getting any airtime whatsoever is Betty and Libby; Libby's scenes are absolutely terrible.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I miss Beau Bridges and wife. And the doctor whose name I can't remember who can't stop gettin' his dick wet.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Apoplexy posted:

I miss Beau Bridges and wife. And the doctor whose name I can't remember who can't stop gettin' his dick wet.

Dr. Austin or something? Him teaming up with the lady doing a His Girl Friday impression will probably lead to someone getting killed by those amphetamines she's selling, so that should be fun.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Beau Bridges and Allison Janney were delightfully unexpected - both were great whenever on screen and their story was super engaging. I'm sad we won't see them any time soon.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Dr. Austin or something? Him teaming up with the lady doing a His Girl Friday impression will probably lead to someone getting killed by those amphetamines she's selling, so that should be fun.

Langham is the hound dog you're referring to.

Armas Paskiainen
May 8, 2014
I have no idea why people do not like Libby's character, for me she is as good as other main characters. If some of her behavior seems sometimes strange, I feel it all may have something to do her "knowing" Masters loves an another woman, and not her. Great show.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Armas Paskiainen posted:

I have no idea why people do not like Libby's character, for me she is as good as other main characters. If some of her behavior seems sometimes strange, I feel it all may have something to do her "knowing" Masters loves an another woman, and not her. Great show.

I read hate for Libby as the same kind of hate people had for Skylar White on Breaking Bad. She's an antagonist for Bill's relationship with his work and Virginia, when she's trying very hard to be the perfect mom and wife while Bill is off ignoring his children, (currently failing at) loving his assistant and hiding pretty much everything, including the fact that he has a brother, from her.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Armas Paskiainen posted:

This may be a dumb question because I don't remember the season finale too well. Is Libby supposed to know that Bill and Virginia are having sex? I always assumed that she knew because of finding the file of their sexual exploits, and figuring out it was them, but I could be mistaken. I mean, I know many women turn a blind eye to certain things, I just don't think that they go on to befriend the other woman.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CommanderApaul posted:

I read hate for Libby as the same kind of hate people had for Skylar White on Breaking Bad. She's an antagonist for Bill's relationship with his work and Virginia, when she's trying very hard to be the perfect mom and wife while Bill is off ignoring his children, (currently failing at) loving his assistant and hiding pretty much everything, including the fact that he has a brother, from her.

I mainly just hate the hideous racism they saddled Libby with out of nowhere for a good 3/4 episodes. Half the storylines for this season would make for better pacing if Masters was still working at Buell Green and his wife was doing all that. As it is they basically forgot the study even existed for a good 4/5 episodes at a stretch.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
For me, I love Libby as a character but the plotlines are doing nothing for me.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

CommanderApaul posted:

Nobody hates the character -- aside from her out of nowhere racism -- they just hate the plotlines she's been given.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Party Plane Jones posted:

I mainly just hate the hideous racism they saddled Libby with out of nowhere for a good 3/4 episodes. Half the storylines for this season would make for better pacing if Masters was still working at Buell Green and his wife was doing all that. As it is they basically forgot the study even existed for a good 4/5 episodes at a stretch.

It doesn't help that she is mostly likely going to gently caress that guy which is going to make Masters less the bad guy in the relationship which is just ugh.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
After tonight's episode, it's fairly obvious that is what is going to happen.

Betty continues to slay and she continues to be my favorite. Poor Dr. Austin -- can't catch a break.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Aww, Barb and Lester are cute. I hope they get married and have many socially awkward children together. I'm glad the show didn't just throw them into a sexual relationship right away.

Not a stand out episode by any means but managed some great moments. Masters is a sub, Austin gets a blowjob while a white pussy stares at him, Frances gets called out on his bullshit. Only two more episodes to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOO1JGNlfOk Fat women try hardest: It's been true throughout the ages!

• Locked thread