Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Registering interest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Any houserules outside of chargen?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Because it's so DM based, how often or how lenient are you to regaining Edge? I'm thinking of going Former Mr Johnson / Mr Lucky.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Chris "Double Tap" Johnson

Chris was everything Ares wanted. The son of two hard working wageslaves, Chris was put into several classes to determine his potential, and, after it was deemed high enough, was transitioned into advanced classes and given a full corporate SIN. After plenty of training, he was marked as being especially geared for "Outside Resource Management and Acquisitions." Or, if you want, handling Runners. He was even born with the last name Johnson, how perfect is that? Those who perform well for Ares are rewarded, too, and Chris' life went beyond never wanting and into fully fledged luxury.

His first job was to be sent into Texas. Ares has long wanted a much bigger foothold in Texas; it's gun market is rife for exploitation, it's culture seems uniquely vulnerable to Ares' "Guns, Apple Pie, Eagles, and America" advertising, and any chance to embarrass and take over Lone Star is appreciated. His first mission should've been easy enough in theory, but difficult in execution; hire two groups of Runners, one to create, the other to then sabotage, a Lone Star operation. Hard to pull of a double run, especially in your first go, while keeping both sides ignorant of each other AND doing the legwork for Ares to come out looking golden. He found the right Fixer. Got two promising groups. Even let them negotiate him up to his actual set price. Both runs went fantastically. Lone Star looked like utter buffoons and Knight Errant swooped in to save the day. He paid the Runners. Chris looked the very model of the perfect Johnson. All in all a perfect, tidy job.

But it wasn't MEANT to be.

Unknown to Chris, he had gotten entangled in some "minor" office politics. One rear end in a top hat named Kent Davidson from accounting had noticed how much money was being pushed into Runners in Dallas and thought he could shave off a few percentile points. He just needed an appropriate failure as an example. Chris wasn't without friends in the office, and when Davidson's NEXT, far more lethal ploy, was about to come into play, he found out. And dropped out - left the reservation completely, Corporate SIN still locked up in Ares. No word to anyone where he was going or why.

Davidson hasn't gone looking. He got what he wanted; Chris is gone, his leaving grants proof of too much leniency with Ares Runner protocol, and someone got a minor promotion for instituting new policies regarding Ares Johnsons in the Dallas area. Nothing personal. It's just business.

For now, "Double Tap" lives in a lovely apartment, dreaming of those luxury days - that he's GOING to have again. He doesn't so much mind not working for Ares, but the loss of that lifestyle, now that's unforgivable. He's been slow. Meticulous. His rolodex is filling out. He's meeting people, making sure he knows the right person in the right place. Gangbangers, cops, activists, even a journalist, all in his tidy list of contracts. In this industry it's not what you do, it's who you know. Well, ok, it's BOTH, but Chris is good at both. The penthouse is gonna be his. Just gotta keep patient. Just gotta keep running.

And if he gets to fill that rear end in a top hat Davidson with lead? Bonus.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 3, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

QuantumNinja posted:

The full night's rest thing, obviously, and it will be refreshed between runs. Beyond that, I'll likely reward group edge refresh after major objectives are accomplished in the run. I'll likely only enforce the 'per-day refresh' rule if y'all are on a multi-day run that requires a lot of poo poo going down.

I meant the whole "regain edge noteworthy things" on p. 56.

Face/Pistoleer to come tomorrow when I wake up. Groomed to be a Mr Johnson until his first drat run went BEYOND bad and they burned his SIN to avoid exposure, now stuck in the same system he was supposed to manipulate, eager to claw his way back into fortune.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Done! A tech character!

I lied, it's an adept. But a very small adept.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

QuantumNinja posted:

Chris "Double Tap" Johnson - ProfessorCirno

drat, don't you look the part. Like you want to be doin' a job a bit above the average pay grade. Now I heard you got burned real hard by Ares, but you gotta know some people still there. Revenge is the kinda thing'll eat a man inside; how are yer plans for it goin'? Since gettin' strung up by Ares, you've been spendin' yer time working connections, but you get anything together beyond that? Friends, recreations, enjoying the better part a' Dallas?

"Hey chief, you know what they say, the best revenge is a life well lived. You see Tex - you don't mind that, do you? - the thing of it is, being burned by Ares, sure, it sucks, but it's just biz. Can't get mad a fellow for doing what, let's all be honest, most of us would do given the same situation. We're runners after all, being in this game excludes you from bein' a boyscout. The man in Ares saw an opportunity to better his life and he took it. Sure, I'm the bystander who gets burned in the process, but can you honestly say you've never seen a run where things go south and an innocent gets drawn in? We don't AIM for the civvies, but when luck goes rotten, sometimes the good people of the street find themselves between criminals on one side and, if you'll allow me to be frank about our corporate employees and the cops they hire, better dressed criminals on the other. Hey, don't get the wrong idea, give me a chance and I'll geek the idiot, but no need to go out LOOKING for him."

Double Tap lights a cigarette and gives Texas Yellow a simsense-worthy smile.

"So I try to get a life well lived. I ain't there yet. My previous living standards are a bit, eh, above my current pay scale. But, those things change. You don't get to be a good employee with a good paycheck if you ain't a little ambitious, and ambition serves me just as well on this side of the shadows. Now me, I like to do a little of everything, dabble in this and that, whatever catches my fancy. Like I said, I ain't at the place I wanna be just yet; no offense to this place, I'm sure it offers nice enough, but I'm used to Genetique-touched joygirls, samples of Horizon's newest, and front row tickets to Urban Brawl. And if that sounds disgusting, take another look at your bum fights, your beetle pits, and your bunraku parlors, and ask again who's really knee deep in the drek. But see, how I think is, this side of the shadows, that side off the shadows - the end goal's the same, yeah? That penthouse suite ain't for wageslaves. You gotta be a truly noteworthy suit - or someone powerful enough to rub elbows with them. Gettin' burned, it's a setback. Minor one, I'm sure. Don't matter what side of the law you operate on, everyone's looking for a bigger piece of the pie. I'm just grabbin' it from the other end, is all. Front row seats to Urban Brawl is nice, but when I'm done, they're gonna be box seats."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
You could've gone to the #shadowrun channel in synIRC for help too!

PS: USE YOUR GODDAMN EDGE.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 21, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Can our Decker loop two cameras at once or are we limited to just one?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Oh, I was under the thought that he'd have to consistently do one for the full combat round, not one per turn. I'm totally down for being wrong about that though!

OK guys, my thought: RoboDecker takes out the bottom and NEmost camera. We drive in from the south. If you look, there's a blind spot there for the cameras - when we hit that, he switches to looping the bottom and NEmost cameras. We drive up to the loading dock and enter through there; that way we can bring the van IN, and not worry about the cameras until it's time to go (and potentially not even then depending on how hot our exit is).

Major questions: Can the decker confirm if the cameras are linked to a host? Can anyone astral project to count guards and potential astral defenses? And can Atlatl's micro (or mini?)drones see guards through the windows? The downside to this plan is that the northern part of the building doesn't have windows or cameras, so we're going in completely blind; the security we saw there earlier was ritualistically scarred so expect potential magical backup. Remember the rule: geek the mage first. If there IS a spirit...uh, hit it as hard as you can, hope it's not high force.

The plan once inside is this: Two doors to pass through in order to reach the vault. If there IS a host in place, we just gotta cross our fingers and hope the decker can handle those three cameras. Once inside, someone with sufficient strength can break a drat hole in a wall and apply a datatap to get the decker access, assuming we can't get him access through one of the doors (but we can probably get access through the door). Target is likely in a safe; if we can't crack that, our choices are to either GRAB the drat thing, burn through it, or make very specific and selective use of our explosives; either one could set off an alarm, so Sparrow should be ready to leave hot.

If we can hit the office while we're there, I expect we can find some paydata. Grabbing anything else from the vault could be possible, but likely high idiocy - anything we grab from there is going to be burning lava hot merchandise unless we hold the hell on to it for awhile before trying to find a fence, and I dunno about you guys, but none of my contacts are fences. Paydata on the other hand? Upload anonymously to an auction site, in a Denver node if it's important enough, and you're set. DT won't stop you from grabbing any other merch there if you want a memento, so long as you're careful with it and it won't be hot enough to drop the FULL weight of Lone Star on our heads.

...But step one? Those cameras, astral projection, drone surveillance.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I can't think of one right now, but if we can find a way to bypass a single thermal scanner, we can use that to get our decker direct access to the host to bypass the firewall.

We just gotta bypass a single thermal scanner so he can plug in, first.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
ALRIGHT WE'RE TAKING TOO LONG.

Assuming direct control.

Marcina, you keep talking about needing a disguise. We're gonna give you one.

Plan A: Our NPC decker is gonna Edge a hack on the Host to mark it, enter it, and disable cameras along the back. Sparrow: give Kenneth your best invisibility, because Kenneth has lol no stealth. Kenneth, set up an ambush behind the building, when the patrol guard goes past, well...you got a shock hand and you're hitting from stealth. You know what to do. Marcina, you and I DO have stealth; we wait along the bottom (bottom camera will be out), join Kenneth once that guard is taken out, then I use that uniform to give you a disguise and you Phys Mask. Draw the other two guards to the back - look, between my disguise, your physical mask, your Acting, and your Con, just think of a good excuse and you should be fine. Don't forget, once we knock out the first guy, we gain access to his commlink - and access to the guards' communications. If you want, I can do this part - with you focusing on Phys Mask, we're at the same level dice pool wise. Kenneth, once they circle back, give them the ol' whatever you want to call it, done and done. Once all three are taken out, Sparrow drives us up to the docking bay door, Kenneth or Alfred can open that no problem, and we're in.

Plan B: If the guards don't follow Marcina or I over, then we'll have to get a bit creative. Marcina, you've got spells, you've got a mind wipe, do what you can. Worse case scenario, Kenneth sneaks up behind you or I and pops them upside the head and drags them away.

Plan C, or "Whoops We hosed Up And Now There's An Alarm:" One of our trolls throws open the docking bay door, we make a be-line for that safe, crack the drat thing, we slot and run. Guns will be blazing. Kenneth, call in either your gangbanger bros or your biker pals to harry Lone Star and buy us time. Sparrow, hope you can race with a van.

You have until tomorrow to state your displeasure with this idea. We are moving.

I have not much in here for Alfred because, well, you just ain't sneaky, but more importantly, you have no way to do non-lethal damage. We aren't aiming to kill here! Sorry!

I have nothing here for Gabriel it's because dude, please post your dang-rear end spell list :v: Do you have silence? If you do, cast silence on Alfred.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 16, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Alright.

Sparrow, start us off with an Invis on Kenneth. Get a drone or two in the sky to provide bird's eye view.

Kenneth, once invis is cast, move to ambush in the back. You may need to roll stealth since you're still making noises. If a guard comes to investigate, DON'T MOVE. Worse case scenario, if the guard gets close, you zap him (or just punch him, I forget if you can still do stun damage with FISTS after you get STRONG BONES)

Once you've snuck in, Marcina and I will roll sneak to move along the bottom. We move individually, not as a full group, to ensure we're not spotted together. If all goes well, you just have to grab the guard on patrol when he goes by and take him out.

We'll continue after all those rolls are done.

...This is why I'm the ex-Mr Johnson :c00lbutt:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'm leaving shortly so I can't do it now, but hop into the shadowrun channel (#shadowrun at synirc) and I and others could help later!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
How long would it take them to either push the car or for Sparrow to drive hopefully quietly to the garage? We may not need BEEEEES.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Chummer 5e exists! There's a few small bugs but it's entirely workable.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Locksmith 0->1 2
Magic 2->3 15
Adept Power: Improved Reflexes 1->2

Total spent: 19
Left over: 2

Nuyen
High lifestyle + Extra Secure 12k
Fake SIN 4 (Aaron Michaels) 10k
Form-Fitting Body Armor 1.3k
+ YNT Softweave 2.6k
+ Medkit 6 1.5k
Forearm Guards 2.7k
+ YNT Softweave .6k
+ Biomonitor .3k
+ Auto-Injector 1.5k
Mortimer of London: Argentum Coat 3.6k
+ YNT Softweave 7.2k
+ Nonconductivity 6 1.5k
+ Fire Resistance 6 1.5k
+ Insulation 6 1.5k
+ Auto-picker 6 1.5k
+ White Noise Generator 6 .3k
Savalette Mods
+ Sound Suppressor x2 .5k
Defiance EX-Shocker 125
+ Quick-draw Holster 88
+ Smartgun (Internal) 125
+ Taser Darts (4) 10
Slap Patch: Trauma 500
Slap Patch: Antidote 6 300
Slap Patch: Stim 6 150
Shopshofts (3) 450

Total spent: 44809
Left over: 3741

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 11, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Apologies for the noposts; a mix of being tired for no reason, and writers block mixed with just trying to figure out how to narrow things down further on where the kids are and what to do once I find where the kids are being held. I'm the Face, after all, not a sammy. If anyone has ideas I'm all ears.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'm still down to clown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'm legit enjoying the game, but if the GM is burned out, then the GM is burned out.

EDIT: Personally speaking I'd love for this to continue but I don't think it's really a player decision. And I dunno if the game would be as good if you weren't into it.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 15, 2015

• Locked thread