Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

The DFW metroplex is the second most influential sprawl in the CAS, second only to Atlanta. It's a metroplex nearly 10,000 square miles wide; the population is almost twice what it was forty years ago, swelling in 2035 with the Aztlan invasion. The city was already on the edge of breakdown, and the influx of refugees pushed the sprawl past its breaking point. Dallas has only regained its footing in the last twenty years, getting a handle on its problems to emerge as a cultural and economic leader in the CAS. Now it's sprinkled with policlubs and large AA companies, holding the city together, with immense international pressure from the AAAs to bring it into the grand year of 2072. But even with the population swell and political restructuring, there are only three AAA corporations with more than fifty thousand employees: Renraku, NeoNET, and Saeder-Krupp. The others are tryin' like hell to get a better foothold in the area, though, and in the mean time Dallas has single-handedly stolen the media scene from Atlanta. With music, television, and BTLs blowing up, along with the corporate influence, Dallas is on its way back from war-torn city to CAS economic bastion.

Aside from that usual boilerplate, Texas is the original 'outlaw country'[1] [2], a no-mans-land where the law is as good as the six-shooter on your hip. It's calmed down in the last two hundred years, sure, and Lone Star polices the main metroplex, keeping the AAAs safe, but you head down south to Waxahachie, all you've got is your reputation and your gun hand. The DFW sprawl also houses a pervasive but careful criminal element, from the anti-Aztlan Chavez drug cartels to the secretive Silver Blade Yakuza. Even so, the diminished AAA presence means most folk don't get into shadowrunning: there simply ain't enough work going around without the overbearing corporate influence. So down here, runners stick together: with less than a thousand of 'em across the entire city, everyone is connected through just a handful of fixers and burner phones. Don't let that throw you, though: the work is real, dangerous, and top-dollar. But runners don't make it in Dallas without dealing with the heavy stuff.

GAME FOCUS.

I just want to Shadowrun in my home state, and get my Texas[3] [4] [5] on. If it isn't clear, unlike my straight-laced Desert Wars game, this game is about criminal behavior. Double cross your employers and contacts on the way to the top. Break the law and try not to get caught. I'm looking for serious crimes with enough silliness to keep one foot firmly in the Shadowrun universe. Runs will range from high-risk protection gigs for famous BTL stars to running kilos for drug cartels to helping Ares get their foot in the door by robbing a Lone Star bank to get Knight Errant the contract. You're going to do shady poo poo, dodge the cops, and try not to get geeked along the way.

World Notes.

We're in Texas: guns are cheap and plentiful, while security and electronics can sometimes be harder to find. Even so, the Matrix ties the sprawl together, with heavy-hitters like Dell and Texas Instruments running their entire international empires from Dallas. There is, however, a solid strand of technophobia held over from the "good ol' days", and throwbacks are more common in Dallas than most parts of the world. Cyberware falls into the same boat: most of society accepts it s a necessary part of life, but you may still see a person in a wheel-chair, refusing to give into technology. Technomancers are feared, but more like you'd fear a wolf or a bear than a bogeymen demon in the night. They're dangerous, but care and respect will get you a long way.

Magicians, on the other hand, are blowing up, between the strong Technocratic Party and the Illuminates of the New Dawn, trying to shine the light of magic on civilization. Most mages the public know are highly-ranked political figures, and the rest are corporate sell-outs. There's a registration system in place for practicing magic users, but the law isn't well-enforced outside of upscale buildings, and criminally-inclined mages typically stay off the grid.

CHARACTER CREATION.

I'm looking for 4-6 players to play Dallas-based runners for good crimes and fun times. I tend to favor characters that might be real people, with friends and hobbies outside of committing serious crimes. Maybe you're a musician doing side work for the thrill, or a mage ganger running jobs to move out of the slum while running huge shipments of novacoke for a major crime syndicate.

For comments or clarifications, you can post here or find me on SynIRC's #shadowrun.

Play Material.

We'll be using the rules from SR5E Core, Run & Gun, and the Street Grimoire, with some rules corrections for odds and ends (like machine gun recoil, running silent, etc).

Make a character using the standard Shadowrun character rules. There are a few exceptions and notes, however:

- I'm going to say that Resources E is 20,000, to help out people trying to dump-stat it.
- We're in Texas. Guns cost 60%50% of the listed price. With the exception of Machine Guns, Cannons, and Launchers (heavy weapon stuff), Forbidden weapons are Restricted, Restricted weapons are fine to own. (This price reduction applies to all weapons, regardless of legality, along with accessories and ammo.)
- Tell me about why you're in Texas: who do you know, why do you keep running Dallas, and do you have a day job? Are you involved with a corporation, with the media scene, or with something else entirely?
- Quickening at Chargen: (mages only) I have decided that for quickening, we'll treat it like summoning. You have to spend the karma to initiate, and then you may spend karma up to your Mayic on a quickened spell, i.e., if your Mayic is 6, you can have no quickened spell at more than Force 6, at the rate of 1 karma per force. You may have no more than 3x[Magic] total force of quickened spells.

Contacts.

Everyone mark the following contacts, which don't count toward your Contacts point:

Texas Yellow, Connection 5, Loyalty 2
A shady figure who runs the Sage In Bloom, a local Dixie bar. In the back room, though, he's a fixer, acting as a middle-man between people looking to hire runners and the runner community.

Theo Trainer, Connection 6, Loyalty 1
An above-board fixer who sometimes hires people from the runner community for 'straight work', including protecting pop icons and ensuring things run smoothly for political candidates.

HOUSE RULES.

- Running Silent will be modified to be less terrible to deckers. The rules are going to work as follows: you make a Matrix Perception check, and your hits reveal any PANs in the area (and their devices) that have DR less than or equal to your hits. Any PANs over it show up, but just as glowy masses, but if you get a mark on one the PAN lights up, and you can use your spatial awareness in the obvious ways.
- I am debating the 'lethal decker' rules I'm using in my DW game.
- Machine Gun recoil won't be doubled.
- Magical Burnout costs 'what it would have been': if you dropped from 4 to 1 Magic due to essence loss, it costs you 25 Karma to go from 1 to 2.
- I'm open to porting over gear from 4E, just ask.
- Obviously no chunky salsa
- The Errata is in effect.

I'm willing to hear out any other suggestions.

CUSTOM GEAR.

Shock Lock Bullets: These slugs are made of a ceramic and metal composite designed to fragment and disintegrate upon impact. Shock lock rounds are designed to shatter a door’s lock or hinge and pierce the armor against Barriers when used to destroy them. Against other targets, treat shock lock rounds as standard explosive rounds.
Standard: Dmg Mod +1, AP -1, Avail 11F, 100¥ / 10; Barriers: Dmg Mod +1, AP -5, Avail 11F (11R in Texas), 100¥ per 10

Inline Skates: Equipped with smart wheels for improved road-holding, power flywheels for momentum conservation, these high-tech skates can get you almost everywhere. Inline skates increase the character’s Walking or Running Movement rate by one half (round up). At the gamemaster’s discretion, difficult situations or terrain may require an Agility+Reaction Test for the character to stay on his feet.
Avail -, 100¥

Ares Sierra: This is a refinement of the Ares Alpha designed for law enforcement and crowd control, usually loaded with non-lethal rounds. It features melee hardening, an underbarrel stun baton, integral smartgun, and the Alpha’s chambering design.
Acc 5 (7), Dmg 11P / –2 AP, SA / BF / FA. RC 2, 42 ( c ), Avail 12F (12R in Texas), 2,950¥
+ Stun Baton: Acc 4, Dmg 8S( e ) / -5 AP, Reach 0

APPS THUS FAR.

Combat.
Mia Fuentes, Elven Ganger (Monofilament Sammy), played by KittyEmpress.
Alfred Nobel, Troll Wageslave (Adept Swordsman), played by Thanatosian
The Birdman, Hard-Boiled PI (Fighter/BnE), played by Lazy Bear
Snowstorm, Human Cokehead (Gunslinger Adept), played by Manic_Misanthrope
Tommy Brown, Elf Murder-Decker, played by Mandozer
Kenneth, Texas Ranger (Sammy), played by malikial

Face/Rigger/Tech/Support.
Chris "Double Tap" Johnson, Human Mr. Lucky (Face/Pistoleer), played by ProfessorCirno
Ah-Ri-Yung "Sparrow" Han, Human Spellrigger (Mage/Rigger), played by Atlatl
Redeye, Human Smuggler (Face/Wheelman), played by LTR
Cat, Elf Con Artist (Face), played by CaptainCarrot
Scott “The Dad” Wilson, Human Office Worker (Decker), played by Mr Tastee
Jake "Hardline" Franklin, Human Beanpole (Decker), played by Yamtaggler

Mages.
Jack "All-Trades" Harris, Human Shamam (Mage), played by Oo Koo
Gabriel De Los Santos, Elf Ganger Wizard (Mage), played by Arkangelus
Marcina Montgomery, Elf Rich Kid (Mage), played by Ronwayne

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
As a clarification of the 'no murderhobos' comment: I don't want you to not make a Shadowrunner. Feel free to play a criminal, gang member, corporate sellout, or whatever you'd like. But even Shadowrunners have friends and hobbies, right?

Oo Koo posted:

Couple of questions?

Since it's so GM dependent, what can I expect from you and this particular game if I make a character with SINner, Corporate Limited? Since you specifically asked for characters with more ties to the setting than a typical murderhobo, I'm thinking of making a character with an active career as a loyal corporate troubleshooter/agent, sort of an in-house runner to keep an eye out for the corporate interests in the shadows. Can you suggest a good corporation to work for, that fits with your plans for the game?

I've seen Limited SINners played out a few ways with great success, and I'd be willing to entertain this direction, but you should know that it may cause some strife withing the party if they find out (which might be fun). Any of the smaller AAAs in the setting will be easier to fit in, so I think Evo, Horizon, or Mitsuhama will fit really well.

CirclMastr posted:

I'll submit a character but only if the Dallas Cowboys still exist.

Football is still around, so I'm sure they do.

Yamtaggler posted:

As a Texan and a fan of the Shadowrun setting, I am super interested in this game. I'll see if I can't get ahold of the book and rustle up a character.

If you need help with chargen, join us on SynIRC's #shadowrun.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Thanatosian posted:

Heh, I was in the midsts of rolling up a troll Phys Adept. :P

Having not played 5e before... from reading it, it seems wired reflexes (or the magic version) are toned down a bit, but still pretty much mandatory to be taken seriously as a physical combatant; is that the case?

Your options for initative are wired reflexes, synaptic boosters, increased reflexes, Jazz or Kamikaze addiction, or spending one point of edge per combat turn to keep your initiative up. But if you plan on physical conflicts, you'll probably need to do one of them to be competitive.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 29, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I'm now adding 'top of skyscraper' to the list of fight scenes for this campaign and 'hellhounds' as an enemy.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ares is mostly kept at bay due to the immense pressure from Lone Star and the SK to keep them out. Knight Errant can't get a foothold, either, because of the city-wide Lone Star enforcement.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Lazy Bear posted:

I plan on trying to piece together an Ork private eye, classic Noir style. Don't worry, he'll feel like a real person, just with a century-plus outdated style.

:allears: that sounds amazing

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Any houserules outside of chargen?

- Running Silent will be modified to be less terrible to deckers. The rules are going to work as follows: you make a Matrix Perception check, and your hits reveal any PANs in the area (and their devices) that have DR less than or equal to your hits. Any PANs over it show up, but just as glowy masses, but if you get a mark on one the PAN lights up, and you can use your spatial awareness in the obvious ways.
- I am debating the 'lethal decker' rules I'm using in my DW game.
- Machine Gun recoil won't be doubled.
- Magical Burnout costs 'what it would have been': if you dropped from 4 to 1 Magic due to essence loss, it costs you 25 Karma to go from 1 to 2.
- I'm open to porting over gear from 4E, just ask.
- Obviously no chunky salsa
- The Errata is in effect.

I'm willing to hear out any other suggestions.

Thanatosian posted:

Just to clarify: I'm assuming that heavy weapons also do not benefit from the 60% cost, right?

Everything's cheap, but not everything's legal.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Because it's so DM based, how often or how lenient are you to regaining Edge? I'm thinking of going Former Mr Johnson / Mr Lucky.

The full night's rest thing, obviously, and it will be refreshed between runs. Beyond that, I'll likely reward group edge refresh after major objectives are accomplished in the run. I'll likely only enforce the 'per-day refresh' rule if y'all are on a multi-day run that requires a lot of poo poo going down.

Mr Tastee posted:

New to Shadowrun and still reading up on the fluff. How plausible is a middle-class office drone who took up shadowrunning as a result of his mid-life crisis?

Totally.

Majuju posted:

So do I need to bother buying a license for a restricted -> nothing weapon?

Nope, free to own it.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Would pollen count as common or uncommon for allergies?

Common come springtime. ;)

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 30, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I meant the whole "regain edge noteworthy things" on p. 56.

I'm totally willing to entertain Achieving Personal Goals, Critical Glitches, and Pushing the Storyline Forward (which matches up with the objectives thing) throughout the campaign, and it's likely that I will. If I forgoet to, OoC posts will help. As for good roleplaying, self sacrifice, and drama/humor, I'm partial to doing it, but also allowing players to nominate each other for an edge point so that it the mechanism isn't "amuse QN to get edge".

Edit: What I'm getting at here is that if your character is built around having edge to do cool stuff, I'm not going to bone you by forcing you to burn through your edge pool and then not refreshing it, because that's really uncool.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 31, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Did you make that in Saints Row?

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 31, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Manifest Dynasty posted:

I have an idea for a christian theurgy mage who has as side gig as a televangelist?

That might work, but there are already three mage apps.

Majuju posted:

Ah! I was going to do similar:

What character creator is that?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Thanatosian posted:

I guess I should mention I just took an 11 on my "3d6 * 60" starting nuyen; I figured you wouldn't care, QuantumNinja, and I'm lazy.

Also, I clicked to look at your other thread and was going back and forth, and thought someone had applied for this game with a rigger that had an Ares Roadmaster with a mounted gauss rifle and grenade launcher; I was so happy, and then I was so sad. At least you don't lack for applicants.

I rolled your starting money on a dice roller, and I was going to post the link and tell you to use it, but I got an 11 there, too. Good call, I guess.

I wonder if we'll get some more tech-based apps. A magic-heavy game this near Aztlan is going to get... messy.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 31, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
In order to help y'all get in the mood, here are some links of Texans playing with guns on their ranch:

Texas Spray Paint https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwL5UNjMbQA
Blowing Bubbles with a Shotgun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeRmkGgTf-s
The Texan Every Day Carry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6Esa0QfJg
Making really stupid shotgun shells https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef6bF4tbtO4

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

bunnielab posted:

Damm I wish I had seen this sooner, I was so sad the criminal game I was in died.

You got time. I won't likely close the thread until at least Monday.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

The Bible posted:

Changing my concept, going Technomancer, I'll post the character within 12 hours.

Where's that technomancer?

Mr Tastee posted:

Yes. I thought it would be easier to use the character creator there to make fat middle-aged man cyberpunk than hunting through images.

Still waiting on that sheet.

bunnielab posted:

Damm I wish I had seen this sooner, I was so sad the criminal game I was in died.

Just bring over the ex-lawman you had from that street game we played for like a week before it died. Remake him using standard chargen.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
:siren: Unless there is a huge influx of apps tomorrow and Monday, I am going to close apps on Tuesday. :siren:

Also, you didn't use your skill groups as far as I can tell

Mr Tastee posted:

Just need to do a little more. I have to ask, what are the benefits of having a cyberdeck as cyberware as opposed to a handheld version, and vice versa? Additionally, if my deck is cyberware, then are the attachments inapplicable, and is the program limit the total number of programs that I can have on my deck?

The difference is that you can't have an internal one taken away when you're captured without surgery, but it is presumably harder to work on. Your cyberdeck has ostensibly unlimited space, so you can have copies of any program you'd like on it, but may only run so many at once. You can even unload / load programs mid-combat.

Mr Tastee posted:

Finally finished my character sheet! This is my first time making a character for Shadowrun, so please let me know everything I got wrong.

You need cerebral enhancers, and you're better off using your attributes to max your mental stats and then buying some muscle replacement (or low-rating muscle toner / augs ). Since you aren't going to do much Face work, dumping essence is fine. Mnemonic enhancers will also go a long way. I'd dump pistols: you only need one combat skill, because if you're in the firefight something's gone pretty wrong and you're better off opening up with a big shotgun or something than a predator. I'm not as convinced as LTR is about your needing wired reflexes: if you're going to spend most of your time in VR, the dice you'll derive from that will hold you over most of the time. It will only be a problem if you're without a deck and in a combat situation, which again, means something went terribly wrong anyway. .

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Oo Koo posted:

I tend to think that initiative boosters are actually pretty good for hackers, since being able to AR hack almost as fast as VR hack is pretty nice. You don't have to worry about arranging protection for your meatbody while you're unconscious and it makes you immune to link locking, since you can always hard reset your deck manually or pull the battery if you get hit by that and need to jack out. No dumpshock either.

Mr Tastee, a lot of these things are very good points, and strong things to consider when deciding if you want to free up the essence and/or money for wired reflexes and/or synaptic boosters.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Oo Koo posted:

I've been doing a little tweaking on a separate character sheet. And if I tweak my equipment and skills a bit, I can add basic level of hacking to round out my character's "jack of all trades" gimmick with minimal impact on my primary focuses on sniping and healing. Scrounging up the cash for an entry level deck hits my equipment hard enough to require some edits to my background though, since I had to sacrifice lifestyle and fake SIN levels enough to basically no longer qualify for a privileged corp person equipment wise. I'm thinking of switching Jack's background to an ex-agent of some smaller AA corp that got stranded in Dallas when his parent corp was destroyed in a fully blown corp war and now has to make a living running the shadows. I also have a new set of flaws ready to go to replace the corporate sinner. Though I could also keep the sinner quality to represent that Jack hasn't managed to dump his Felix identity yet and treat the taxes as the necessary expenses to keep the enemy corp that destroyed his parent corp off his trail.

QuantumNinja, are you OK with me making the changes and do you have any opinion on which option I should go with regarding the sinner quality?

I'm fine with you making changes. When I sit down tomorrow or Tuesday to make my picks, I will read everyone's sheet beginning to end at that time. As for the sinner quality, I'm fine either way. That said, it looks like we've got a good set of decker apps, and it sounds like it's going to hit your money hard, so you could hold off and pick up some decking skills during the campaign instead.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I will close apps when Malikial has posted. I will post picks 24 hours after that.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
:siren: Apps are Closed. I'll post picks in less than 12 hours. :siren:

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I lied about picking! These apps are all really great, so I've decided to do a second-round thing where I Texas Yellow asks everyone some questions to get a better feel for the characters. I'm in the middle of moving, but I will have those questions up by tomorrow before I go to bed.

Sorry again about the delay. Moving is tedious.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
First, I should apologize. Starting a recruitment thread with a looming move was a terrible idea, and closing applications the day before I was moving out an even worse one. But I'm moved now, so barring catastrophe things should proceed as scheduled. Now, on to some questions to help me refine my decisions so that I don't end up taking like 8 applications again. Note that these questions are not explicitly being asked by anyone, so don't worry about sharing too much and it coming back to screw you or something. I am asking these for information, not character interaction purposes.

I'm going to wait until most of y'all are done, but I'm shooting for Saturday night or Sunday afternoon for answers.

Ah-Ri-Yung "Sparrow" Han - Atlatl

I understand you're lookin' fer some work, but I gotta say, I got a few questions first. Now, I done my homework, and yer a racer, far as I can tell, but I gotta ask: you still boostin' cars from the airport economy parking for that chopshop over south a' 80, in Arlington? Tell me what yer racin' career is like: who calls you with details, who are the heavy hitters on the street circuit, what was yer biggest win?

Alfred Nobel - Thanatosian

drat, yer a big'un, ain't ya? Mr. Nobel, I presume? Now I done some digging, heard about yer time in Windermere, and I jus' gotta ask: what's a rich-kid yankee like you doin' down here in Dallas? Who do you know that keeps you local? You're in that poo poo club scene, right, part a' DanceSafe? How'd you get involved with that, down there in Garland, or was it Irving? Who are ya workin' with? What's a good story from the club scene?

Cat - CaptainCarrot

Where'd you come up? Are you from here in Dallas? I heard you hooked up with some---group a' some sort. I heard you were good with you words: tell me how you got into this line a' work, though, when you could be manipulatin' yer way through Plano.

Chris "Double Tap" Johnson - ProfessorCirno

drat, don't you look the part. Like you want to be doin' a job a bit above the average pay grade. Now I heard you got burned real hard by Ares, but you gotta know some people still there. Revenge is the kinda thing'll eat a man inside; how are yer plans for it goin'? Since gettin' strung up by Ares, you've been spendin' yer time working connections, but you get anything together beyond that? Friends, recreations, enjoying the better part a' Dallas?

Gabriel De Los Santos - Arkangelus

You certainly ain't new to this runnin' business. Free Aztlan does some pretty heavy lifting, and I doubt yer any exception. After all that poo poo with the sickness, who helps you, looks after yer brother when you're out? Do you still work with Free Aztlan, or jus' friends from the old neighborhood? You aren't as bad off, but how is that illness affecting you? And what do you do when you ain't running or looking after Raphael?

Jack "All-Trades" Harris - Oo Koo

Your old employer died in a corporate war, right? I couldn't find too much written history, so why don't you tell me exactly what they did and why they were destroyed. You keep in touch with any a' the other ex-employees? More importantly, yer part a' the Technomagicians, ain't ya? What's that like? You get together often, do things together?

Jake "Hardline" Franklin - Yamtaggler

So you're a hacker, right? Oh, excuse me, 'decker', ain't it? You got displaced by that Aztlan invasion along with the rest a' yer friends and family, but where did they end up? Yer siblings still in the Dallas area? Surely you at least know some people you spent time with in undergrad: old room mates, advisers, fellow ACM associates? You catch up with 'em in yer free time, or just sit at home and jack?

Kenneth - malikial

Your resume and pedigree is impressive, but I just can't put one thing together: you've spent a good few years as a law man, making money and upholding order alongside the Rangers themselves. Even after you got sold out, the corruption got revelaed, why not just go work for Lone Star? After so long on the right side a' the law, what's drawn you into the shadows? More'n that, what do you do to pass the time now? You got family local, or do you just bury yerself in a bottle with yer time off?

Marcina Montgomery - Ronwayne

You got into this scene to avoid gettin' a real job, but this kind a' thing can't be easy for a white collar kid like you. How do you deal with the violence and general criminal element that you get exposed to on these jobs? And what do you do in yer downtime? I'm sure yer parents don't talk to you, but do you still see yer brother? What about those old college friends? Still hit up their parties, or what?

Mia Fuentes - KittyEmpress.

After comin' on up with the Santas, you've managed to make it on out on yer own. But now you stick around, right, and give back? How do you? Stick around and helpin' kids to read, or is it strictly financial support? Do you still pull jobs with them, helping move weapons and drugs, or just stay out of the way and do your own thing? Which one of 'em would you call if you were in trouble, and why?

Redeye - LTR

You're new to town, ain't ya? You did a pretty small stretch, all things considered. Why Dallas, a' all places? I know you came lookin' for work, but it's gotta be just a bit more'n that, to travel this far from Seattle. What did you do for fun back in Seattle? Do you know people down here, or are you just hoping to exploit the Aztlan border to turn a solid profit? You ain't like most riggers I've seen: no control rig from what I can tell. Is that something you see in yer future, or do you prefer yer smuggling work?

Snowstorm - Manic_Misanthrope

You came up on the rougher streets a' the UCAS, gang involvement an' all, right? So what brings you down south, no ties to speak of? That's quite a ways to travel for a yankee like yerself, and Atlanta or Denver seem better suited if yer just lookin' for work. You'd probably get a little less trouble 'bout that hideous pink coat a' yours, too. How are you likin' Dallas so far? Find any good night spots or good places to snort a few lines a' novacoke and burn away the twilight?

The Birdman - Lazy Bear

You're that PI, the one that can't get a break, huh? You're pretty chromed up for an ex-con; did that happen before or after you did yer stretch? More importantly, a family man like you, failing detective agency, why are you lookin' for work in the shadows? That's pretty heavy for a dude who is tryin' ta make a livin' as an investigator, and it's pretty much on the other side a' the law altogether.

Tommy Brown - Mandozer

You've got a reputation that speaks for itself, Tommy: a man without a reputation, who deals with his employers quickly and quietly. Hell, you've even got a long history a' running, but from what I understood, you're out for vengeance more than for the money, and that's a dangerous game to play: what happens when the two come to odds? And how is student life treating you? Do the other people in yer research group know what you do, and do you socialize with them that much? Where's yer sister now, that you can take care a' her full-time?

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 8, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
timg is your friend

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
:siren: PICKS :siren:

Alfred Nobel, Troll Wageslave (Adept Swordsman), played by Thanatosian
Kenneth, Texas Ranger (Sammy), played by malikial
Chris "Double Tap" Johnson, Human Aristocrat (Face/Pistoleer), played by ProfessorCirno
Ah-Ri-Yung "Sparrow" Han, Human Spellrigger (Mage/Rigger), played by Atlatl
Jake "Hardline" Franklin, Human Script Kiddie (Decker), played by Yamtaggler
Gabriel De Los Santos, Elf Ganger (Mage), played by Arkangelus
Marcina Montgomery, Elf Rich Kid (Mage), played by Ronwayne

I'd like to thank everyone for applying. I'm sorry to everyone I didn't pick; if I had more free time, I'd run two games and take you all (this is something I seriously considered). As it is, this was an awesome showing of applications that actually put me in a difficult spot with picking people. Thanks to everyone who applied, and for your immense patience with me while I moved.

Homework.

For those who are picked, answer the following about your fellow 'runners:

One of them, you've heard about.
Tell us how exactly the story went, and what it tells you about how they work.

One of them, you've worked with, or for, or had them work under you.
Tell us about that job and how it went. Remember that you were both instrumental to its success or failure.

One of them, you've worked against.
Describe that job, and why you don't (or do) hate each other in light of everything.

Game Thread.

I'll have the game thread up in just a few hours, after I run a few errands. Get the homework done when you can.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 11, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
We're live!

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Str 4 and 7 for MMGs/HMGs respectively, along with dropping the double recoil.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
It's Tuesday, February 5, 2075.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Not really. It's got a picture of the manuscript, likely ripped from a news site somewhere, that shows it as a huge manila folder full of loose papers and the like. It's reasonable to conclude they'd likely package it a bit better than that for selling it, in some sort of plastic or glass or metal container.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
You could always get a hermetically-sealed hard-shell briefcase (RnG, p. 190) or something like a Body Armor Bag (p. 70).

The host is on the local grid.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Whoops, nope. Edited my post, sorry.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Yamtaggler, you probably should have gotten cerebral boosters, bought up decking skills to six, and purchased a medium lifestyle for grid access. That would net 14DP on any decking move, with 16DP for specializations.

If you want, I will let you swap your Sony [345,000¥] for a Renraku Tsurugi [214,125¥], Cerebral Boosters 2 [63,000¥/0.4e], Mnemonic Enhancers 2 [18,000¥/0.2e], 3 Months Middle Lifestyle (+Extra Secure, +Special Work Area: Hardware) [14,000¥], a Hardware Shop [5,000¥], an Electronic Warfare Kit [500¥], and Muscle Augmentation 1 [31,000¥/0.2e]. Don't reroll your starting money, though, because that new equipment list is technically 625 over.

That will push your Logic to 8, your Strength to 2, and your Essence down to 2.8. You'll get access to the local grid, the tools needed to fix your deck when it takes matrix damage, and your Matrix skill DPs will hop up to 13. 13 DP isn't enough that you're likely to hit your limits any time soon. If you don't want the muscle augmentation, that money can go into alphawaring your mnemonic enhancers, eyes, and wired reflexes and another two months' rent (leaving your essence at 3.52 if my napkin math is right).

If you don't want to do any of that, I'm fine with going on how we are. I just thought I'd offer you some charop since you said you didn't know the system.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Thanatosian posted:

I don't have RnG. :negative:

The rating isn't relevant here, but it removes [Rating] dice from sensors looking for explosives.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Ronwayne posted:

Well poo poo, dude. Things happen and RL is always more important than elfgaming. Best of luck.

This does leave the rest of the team with the problem that we no longer have decker support unless QN wants to NPC it.

I'm working on something, but I will NPC as necessary until it comes through.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Not at all, but you're going to have to make an etiquette roll to properly approach Ray about using the place, since it seems like Ceders really isn't your scene.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Thanatosian posted:

Etiquette roll to approach Ray (spent Edge): 4d6t5 3

Rerolls for 6s (spent Edge): 2d6t5 1

Sooooo... 4 successes. Alfred is the new Face. And dice that roll 6 on a Rule of Six reroll do not re-roll, right?

They keep rerolling until they are no longer a 6.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Thanatosian posted:

I know Alfred isn't there, but this is the kind of stuff he would ask about when we meet up later:

*What do the walls appear to be made of?

*Around the outside looks like just normal hedges, right? Not some sort of space-age polymer hedge that can stop vehicles?

*Are there no motion detectors or cameras marked on the loading dock because they didn't get a look back there, or because there don't appear to be any? Same with the vault?

They're standard interior drywall, but the outside seems to be some limestone, which likely has plascrete under it. The glass is likely bulletproof, ballistic.

The hedges are totally normal hedges.

They haven't seen the loading dock or the vault.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
On the topic of SINs and stuff, I intend to use the rules in the book for exposing a fake SIN:

Shadowrun Core, p. 368 posted:

In game terms, the gamemaster should make a Simple Device Rating x 2 Test with a threshold equal to the rating of the fake SIN (use Device Ratings, p. 234, for SIN verification system ratings). If the number of hits is under the threshold, the system reports no problem. If the threshold is reached but not exceeded, the system reports that something seems “odd” with the SIN and will recommend that the operator investigate further. Whether the operator actually does anything is up to them. If the threshold is exceeded, the system reports the SIN as false and may immediately notify the authorities. At this point, the fake SIN is considered burned.

A place like EE will probably have a Rating 2 SIN checker.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I'd hope so! It's a sticky situation, but all of you are future-criminals in the game for cash and/or glory. Each of you has little reason to trust anyone else in that room, because all of you have some rough things: one of you was burned hard by Ares, another is an ex-cop that sometimes fakes it, a third is a wageslave SINner, and Gabriel has tangible ties to a terrorist organization. If these things were never issues, then why bother playing out anything but the runs? I'll admit that a lot of GMs will do precisely that, but part of my character recruitment spiel was exactly aimed at this sorta stuff.

Also, to clarify character motivations: McCall isn't planning on getting any collars of the situation here. He's a crooked cop that slings poo poo on the side for profit. He'll make it flashy, but then he's going to grab the drugs and turn the dealers out with just enough questioning to make it look like it was part of a target on the supply line, because he'd rather move the product than get arrests from a random club in the Midcities he probably shouldn't be in.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
He can loop one camera per complex action per combat turn, as per Edit File. I'll roll his Initiative, but it will be three or four cameras at once, and he'll have to give them up to do other things.

Is there another interpretation of that rule I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Answering other questions:

The Van's object resistance is 16.

The roof of the building isn't 'wired' per say, but it's reinforced concrete, since it's, you know, the roof. It has a handful of thermal scanners, to detect anything larger than a cat, but no cameras or what have you.

Atlatl's air spirit expired at sunset, technically, but if she's willing to forgo sleeping off the stun we can retcon it so that she got it after sunset.

The hedge thermal scanners each have a radius of about 3 meters; they're meant to catch things on foot. This place isn't prepared for an air attack, honestly, because that's absurd. The van will have to jump about 5 meters over the bushes to clear the things, and 8 total to make it to the roof of the building.

On the subject of this, y'all need to get into #shadowrun on SynIRC to plan this thing with Cirno, Atlatl, and Ronnie.

• Locked thread