Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
In news that surprises no one ever, my rescue Cavalier's heart is getting worse the longer I have her. She went from the rescue vet detecting no heart murmur to a grade 3, grade 4...

Today our amazing vet (we switched from a crap one, best decision) said it was probably time to x-ray her to see what we're dealing with. When I gently cuddle Penny I can now feel her heart shuddering away, and it terrifies me. I knew it was going to be bad, eventually, but I've only had her since February and she only just turned six years old. Life is so unfair. She has lived in a little breeding cage her whole life and now her life is finally good her health is going downhill.

On the plus side the rescue is happy for her to stay with me now, hah.

Does anyone have any stories regarding their own dodgy ticker pets? My old rescue girl had a mildly bad heart, but all her other problems were so much worse we barely even noticed. Penny seems to be accelerating at an alarming rate, but what the hell would I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heknocentric Thinker
Sep 5, 2004
boo! ^.^

No advice, but look at that cute face, she's hit the jackpot with you and you care about her, and I hope she sticks around for a long time! let us know what the x-rays bring!

Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
Thanks for the reply, Heknocentric Thinker :) I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately it's not good news, not even slightly. They only had to take one x-ray to see how friggin enlarged her heart is, I've been given very expensive meds and told to come back in 2 weeks if there's no difference. To discuss ... god, I can't even type it. I had to be sent home from work. She should have had this seen to. I'm so loving mad at people that think it's a great idea to throw animals in a cage and breed them aggressively until their little bodies break down and then get rid of them, I HATE them.

Penny is such a good girl, she doesn't deserve this :( She's not allowed more than a 15 minute slow walk. She loves her walks. It's so unfair. I love her so much. What the hell am I going to do without my little girl?

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
I am sorry to hear about this. If I may ask, what meds did they put her on? A lot of times the markup is higher if you get them at the vet than at a regular pharmacy.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Cavalier hearts are ticking time bombs. It's because they're so cute and lovable. It's not fair. I'm sorry.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

NarwhalParty posted:

I am sorry to hear about this. If I may ask, what meds did they put her on? A lot of times the markup is higher if you get them at the vet than at a regular pharmacy.

Some of the medications are veterinary-only, particularly the one that's the most expensive (pimobendan/Vetmedin). Most human pharmacies don't carry veterinary-only drugs (maybe Costco and one other one, I don't remember..). And then there's the fact that furosemide (lasix) for a small dog is difficult to fill at a human pharmacy because they typically don't carry small enough sizes. Lasix isn't that expensive anyway but still...

Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
She's on Fortekor, a dieuretic and now on Vetmedin. So all the drugs they can give her. She only got put on the Vetmedin today. The kindly vet gave me a free two weeks worth cos oh my goodness it is SO expensive and he is amazing and knows I'm a single 'parent'. Probably going to have to start working the streets after it runs out, hah.

Praying it works and that she's got some life left in her yet. It is utterly terrifying scratching her chest and feeling how hard and clearly her heart is beating. :(

Thanks for the support <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Oh man, I'm so sorry. :( Ellie's family has murmurs (uncle and brother had bad ones but are living with them, Ellie had a slight one but grew out of it.) It's not like Penny, though.

Keep us updated, I hope the meds help. :sympathy:

• Locked thread