Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Post all British stuff here about why britain is cool or bad

it's okay to say stuff about what you think about britain here

don't be afraid

Britain is waiting for your opinions, internet wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Bitter Mushroom posted:

this is the op, he is scared to walk england's mean streets

it's even scarier because my age isn't listed on that advert so i can't even get the insurance

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Bloody Penguin posted:

I'm in britain right now, and goddamnit do i hate the newspapers here! It's the worst yellow journalism i have ever seen. "Immigrants abusing welfare", "fat people costing the NHS money". It's always a mixture of rasism, sexism, classisim and downright hatred for other human beings.

Also the language sounds childish. Bum, tummy, tely etc. gently caress you

Yeah you wanna avoid basically any paper except maybe the independent.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

dontcareaboutname posted:

my sister is living in the UK right now she said its depressing, and the selection and cost of goods makes her feel like she is behind the iron curtain.

Lol London?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

dontcareaboutname posted:

real question you guys always say americans don't know what old means, so what do you count as old? is the queen old or just young till after she is buried for a couple hundred years?

Not sure what you mean tbh, never heard anyone say americans don't know what old means.

Except maaaybe in the context of like, how ridiculously young your country is

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Titty Warlord posted:

quick scope... 420... d-da-da-dad...!!!?!?!

are we dating now or what?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
yeah brown sauce is kinda hard to describe. It has a pretty much identical consistency to ketchup. It goes kinda well with sausages, potatoes fried in the "cut up into kind of disks and fried in a regular frying pan" manner, basically it's like alternative ketchup with a more bitter taste? i like to put it in bacon sandwiches, just a little bit.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Fandyien posted:

is a bacon sandwich just bacon between bread? that seems sort lovely. also nobody ever answered me about whether you can get good tacos in britain

You can get good tacos if you make them yourself, you can get enchilladas and stuff. But we don't have like, Taco Bell, as far as i know. I think it's "coming soon".

And as for bacon sandwiches, it CAN be bacon just between bread with maybe some butter and brown sauce yeah but i guess most people do BLTs

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Drunk & Ugly posted:

yeah they call it a builders sandwich or something stupid like that, its retarded. bacon and brown sauce. not actually bad its just kind of lackluster wheres the egg and cheese and mcgrease

and there will never be tacos in the UK that can match a california taco so i wont even bother answering that question
they have them here but its always just "eh..."
if i could i would open a taco stand and school mother fuckers and make bank

I have to go catch a red bus now and get to ye olde chemiste shoppe

Never heard it called a "builder's sandwich", but a "bacon butty" is more likely.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Fandyien posted:

the brits dont even have the right names for chips/fries theres no way you're good at them

Fries are one thing, chips are another! Chips can be oven-cooked, fries by definition cannot.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Hobohemian posted:

On the whole they are not descended from British immigrants though. That's the point. Mostly Germans. We also like to eat Hamburgers. From Germany. And New York was called New Amsterdam.

Pretty sure it was new york that was called new amsterdam but what do i know i'm only british oh wait i'm right though

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

hemophilia posted:

You fuckers just showed up and took over and started renaming everything but that doesn't mean white Americans aren't from German descent on the whole.

For what it's worth All signs point to me having very English ancestors but if I ask anyone white I know, if they know, they will say German. I know, because I live here, and I have asked such things.

I thought it was primarily Dutch? hence why Obama recently described the Dutch as america's closest allies while doing his press release about the Ukraine-plane-shootdown?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

hemophilia posted:

I have never had a CSR call me by my first name.

Waiters are like that state-side because of tipping and the fact that their wage not being somewhere near a Chinese factory worker relies on being a schmoozey dope.

Pretty sure suckin' dicks in an alleyway for money is:

1. more profitable
2. less damaging to one's sense of integrity

than piling on that schmooze

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Pretty much this, I've been in retail management for far too long (FML) and I take comfort in the fact that whilst the pay is poo poo if anyone is rude to me I can just feel free to be rude right back to them, in a very British passive aggressive way of course. And conversely I like the fact that I don't have to tip every single person who ever does any kind of service for me whatsoever no matter how inane the task whether it's drive me 1 mile or pour me a drink.

I like tipping when the person has actually been frickin' cool though. Actually one time i had a taxi driver who was an ultimate badass and entertained the whole group of us for the journey by just being various kinds of funny, and then we all tried to tip him and he refused repeatedly, until we shoved the tip in his hand and ran out of the car. So he chased us in his taxi and threw our money back at us out the window.

That deserves a tip.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

hemophilia posted:

I don't disagree and it's one of the reasons most people don't enter the service industry if they can help it but usually they can't help it, and suddenly their income is an unreliable wage and one bad day of tips can mean serious financial problems.

It's disgusting, and I only tip where expected because I'm not gonna be the guy that puts a hardship on someone because I want to end some systemic problem with American wage + labor laws.

Yeah brits get a lot of stick for not tipping, especially when tourists in the USA. But I think it comes down to a kinda forgivable ignorance that most of them don't realize those workers are depending on tips, and that they're not receiving a moderate minimum wage at all.

If i were tripping round the states I'd tip just because I know that the reason the drat service is so cheap is because the poor bastard isn't getting paid more than the price of a can of pepsi or whatever.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Ewan posted:

also the dude who said "most people make BLTs" is talking absolute bollocks.

The end result looks something like this, although preferably with more ketchup oozing out of the side

That's a bacon butty, i'm not talking bollocks.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

A Small Toilet posted:

Bacon buttie

Bacon sarnie

Brown sauce

Rashers

Telly

Westfordshire

how about you morons start talking like adults instead of retarded pigchildren

I think most people under the age of 30 don't say "telly"

a "rasher" is a unit not slang

brown sauce is sauce which has the primary characteristic of being brown, not sure what else to call it

Bacon buttie implies butter, sarnie is mostly the same thing

lol you call "handegg" "football"

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Zzulu posted:

look at the little brits sperging about their garbage food

You'll never be taken seriously with that avatar though so it's cool

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

atal posted:

oh, oh have the aussies turned up yet? the lsat ask/tell was pretty funny when it bascially got hijacked by the worlds most inferiority complexed country

Not yet but i look forward to it

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

concerned mom posted:

Oh cool yet another British/American thread I was waiting for today's instalment please someone tell me all about tipping

We already covered that so let's move onto football vs soccer yeah

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

hemophilia posted:

I really like the term handegg and i hope it catches on

Yeah i can definitely get behind it, it's really endearing

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

tada.wav posted:

No wait, let me smugly tell everyone I'm superior for driving a manual car

oh yeah nice!

personally i prefer driving a manual because i guess i am a control freak and like to tell the car when to change gear rather than having it decide to do it for me.

I am also not an Apple user, go figure

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
I'm not sure how i should feel about the fact this thread has a 1:10 posts to viewcount ratio. Are people that loving keen to say bad stuff about Britain? I knew Gypsum would be here obviously but still

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Drunk & Ugly posted:

perhaps what the english want is more representation on this forum, or threads closer to their social issues. like the maddie thread, what happened to that

is she still dead

im all for it, lets make things more british in here!!!

the latest i heard was they figured they were gunna find the body under the cement across the road from the apartment building or something. I don't follow the news very closely though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Fandyien posted:

thats the first song i've heard where someone managed to retain their british accent while singing somehow

Wait you haven't heard Dark Side of The Moon? Dave Gilmour manages to stay pretty drat british the whole way through imo

also the Wall i guess even though that's more Waters

• Locked thread