Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaimers
Jul 30, 2014

EightFlyingCars posted:

That was fun to watch, thanks for the video! You mentioned that there are other stages you can play if you botch the missions. Since you went through all the cool dude pro gamer levels, have you thought about doing a run through all the other ones?

Sure no problem. Though there are actually only two extra stages as you can see in this graph of the stage progression:

pre:
          03a -> 04a
        /     \/     \
01 -> 02              05 -> 06 -> [Special]
        \     /\     /
          03b -> 04b                       
Sexy Parodius Bonus Video

I think I've only ever played these stages once before so that was sort of interesting. I actually like 3b more than 3a but it's a shame you never see the stage when playing the game seriously.

While on the topic of Sexy Parodius I recommend checking out my friend saucy's run of the game since he's a loooot better at the game than I am. You can see him using a ton of purple bell tricks and strats you can't do with the Auto configuration. If you're going to watch anything at least check out his stage 1 boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Huh, that same idea with the falling platforms and destroying their supports was explored in stage 2 of Gradius Advance, too. Not sure which game did it better.

MarkSoupial
Aug 2, 2014
Psyvariar is all about grazing bullets, both for score and to level up your ship (which gives you access to more score). The Wikipedia page has a lot of gameplay information.
All I know is that it is really satisfying to play and pretty neat to see played for score.

Jaimers
Jul 30, 2014
I think it's time to revive this thread with some awesome games and some awesome replays.

Rayforce 8 Million 1cc

I guess a little bit of backstory is in order for this video. The Special Demonstrations, run by Icarus, are pretty much about making very fancy edited videos of superplays with commentary from the runner in it. And recently he decided to make a Special Demonstration video for my latest Rayforce run which spawned this video.

Rayforce is a classic and very iconic STG made by Taito way back in 1994 that made a pretty big impact on the genre. It was one of the first to really revolutionize lock-on homing lasers which in turn inspired a lot of other shmups in the future.
The game was pretty incredible for its time. Utilizing a sort of 2.5d effect, enemies would either be in the foreground or the background and you could lock onto enemies in the background with your homing lasers.
I say incredible for it's time but the game still holds up incredibly well even today. The gameplay and design are all very sold and the game also has a very complex scoring system that has similarities to more modern shmups like Ketsui.
You might remember Rayforce as being one of the "founding fathers" in Genetos and besides being a big inspiration for Crimzon Clover the entire ALLTYNEX doujin series was also completely based on Rayforce. Both games have bosses that look very similar to some bosses in Rayforce.

Battle Garegga 20.83mil 1cc

This Special Demonstration covers the current world record with commentary from the world record holder herself and while it's not by me it I think it's a very interesting watch since Raizing games haven't really come up yet in the thread but they're an important part of shmups regardless.

Raizing is another one of the very well-known and respected companies that developed shmups back in the day and Battle Garegga is pretty much their flagship game.
Raizing games distinguish themselves from other shmups by having tons of secrets, very complex bosses and by the fact that you have to play their games in a very unorthodox way from other shmups.
Almost all of their games are notorious for their ferocious rank systems where the game will quickly become impossible if you try to play the game like a normal shmup.
Pretty much every action you make in the game except for moving around increases the rank. In order to stop the rank from creeping up to neck-height and biting your head off you have to really pay attention to what items you pick up and regularly suicide.
Pretty much during the whole game you are fighting against the rank system. Since the game gives you extends at every 1 million points you are forced in a state where you have to score well in order to survive well since you need to regularly get extends to suicide and lower the rank.

Other Raizing staples include the medals and bomb fragments. After killing a certain amount of enemies a medal will drop, these start at a low value but continue to increase to a max of 10k until one drops off the bottom of the screen at which point the chain resets.
You pick up bomb fragments off the ground and collecting a bunch of these forms a full bomb. The length and strength of the bomb depends on how many fragments you currently carry.

Garegga has often been voted the best shmup of all time and the Black Heart fight (stage 5 boss guy) is one of the most iconic shmup fights out there. Raizing games are definitely not for everybody though since the playstyle is so much different from what you're normally used to.
But yeah definitely check out the other Special Demonstrations too since they are all very good.

Jaimers fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 27, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Rayforce looks kind of neat.

But seriously, thank you for reviving this thread, I thought it was dead already. Now I'm thinking again about trying another weird Shmup, which sounds like a bad idea considering how playing Amnios turned out to be pure torture (even if it looks and sounds nice, I suppose).

By the way, has Slowbeef forgotten about his own thread? I can't remember the last time the links in the OP were updated.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I don't even like Battle Garegga but that was :sbahj:

I should get around to doing Aeternum for this thread some time, which I'm sure is a thing I've said ever since the I found the thread for the first time.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Libluini posted:

By the way, has Slowbeef forgotten about his own thread? I can't remember the last time the links in the OP were updated.

I haven't forgotten! I just 1cc'ed Crimzon Clover Arcade Original yesterday so I was going to post that as soon as I got time to comment over the replay. It's been kinda rough lately - I want to keep recording stuff, but I have this kid, my job, school started again, etc.

I was considering making a second one called "The Shooting Gallery, Ura Loop" but I don't know if we're there yet. I have some stuff to do at work and for school, it's just going through and recollecting all the links is slightly daunting at the moment...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

slowbeef posted:

I haven't forgotten! I just 1cc'ed Crimzon Clover Arcade Original yesterday so I was going to post that as soon as I got time to comment over the replay. It's been kinda rough lately - I want to keep recording stuff, but I have this kid, my job, school started again, etc.

I was considering making a second one called "The Shooting Gallery, Ura Loop" but I don't know if we're there yet. I have some stuff to do at work and for school, it's just going through and recollecting all the links is slightly daunting at the moment...

Eh, don't sweat it, that stuff comes first. It's not like I could talk, I have some LPs delayed by years now. :v:

That reminds me, if I get home on friday, maybe I should finally continue that Homeworld: Cataclysm LP I'm doing for the 2007 thread, that's also something I haven't done in months thanks to my university keeping me busy with writing papers and doing exams...

Jaimers
Jul 30, 2014
So at Tokaigi in Japan there's currently a three day long gaming festival going on and yesterday night was pretty much the STG block.
During this block really high level superplayers were invited to give a live demonstration on stage which they also streamed over Nico Live.
It was a bit last-minute but a group of people in the shmup community eventually managed to set up a ghetto English restream of the event for people with no access Nico Live. It started rough but the commentary really evolved over the course of the night.

The games played in order were:
- Darius Gaiden Extra, All Bosses (player: 山田太郎)
Unlike the normal version I showcased for the thread, the Extra version lets you go through all of the 28 stages that the game features if you pick player 2. Contains super high-level scoring and many tricks and strategies I had never known about before.

- Dodonpachi Daioujou White Label (player: fufufu) <- Watch this seriously.
This was pretty much the highlight of the night, absolutely mindblowing run from fufufu, he is incredibly skilled.
I've showcased the Black Label version of this game to the thread but the original vanilla, or white label version as people like to call it, is much more brutal. One of the biggest differences is that at the start of the 2nd loop the game takes away all of your extra lives and the only way to get extends is to either no-miss or no-bomb a stage. One little mistake in 2-1 and it's game over.

- Tetris The Grandmaster 3 (player: KAN)
After DOJ was a little intermission with Tetris. KevinDDR, who you might remember from AGDQ, was also around and gave some excellent commentary on the run.

- Crimzon Clover NESiCA, Unlimited (player: GFA2-ISO)
And the last game was Crimzon Clover. Super high-level scoring from the famous ISO himself, watch him completely destroy the game.

But yeah if anything watch the Daioujou run.

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
That Crimson Clover run was intense!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
That Crimzon Clover run is just amazing. That guy is a god compared to me and he still struggled with Unlimited Mode. Which is not a thing to blame people for. Unlimited is brutal. Never seen the TLB on Unlimited before, though.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

IGgy IGsen posted:

That Crimzon Clover run is just amazing. That guy is a god compared to me and he still struggled with Unlimited Mode. Which is not a thing to blame people for. Unlimited is brutal. Never seen the TLB on Unlimited before, though.

You can try it out in Training Mode if you like! ... ... ...It is not easy!

Yeah that run is sick. Apparently Gorgoneir's final attack (we called it Chaos Dunk on one stream) is actually more consistently manageable on Unlimited for some reason.

Man, I love Crimzon Clover (World Ignition).

Jaimers
Jul 30, 2014

slowbeef posted:

You can try it out in Training Mode if you like! ... ... ...It is not easy!

Something I should mention about practice mode that the game never tells you is that the amount of stars you have contributes to the overall rank you currently have. If you practice a stage or boss at 0 stars the stage or the boss will be completely different than what it would be like during a real run. Like for example the first attack on the Unlimited TLB is actually harder on 0 stars because all the bullets become super slow and clutter up the whole screen forming a big mess. For a survival run of Unlimited you would have an average amount of 700k stars there and the bullets, although much faster, leave the screen faster and give you more room on the screen.

The Dodonpachi Daioujou runner, fufufu, also uploaded his world record for Crimzon Clover Boost to youtube recently. You can see it here. You can tell how crazy Boost gets when you can handle everything the game throws at you. Pointblanking in Boost is much more important than the other modes because it generates stars per frame.

ISO apparently also played incredibly safe during his Unlimited run, which is understandable. He basically used safety strats for the whole game and it really shows especially on the stage 2 and 3 bosses. The world record tier scores more than likely have much, much more riskier strats for optimal gain. Maybe we'll see them when the superplay DLC for Crimzon Clover comes out (which by the way is the best DLC ever).

Jaimers fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 3, 2015

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I think it's about time for a necro.

So there's something I've been thinking about to try to stimulate this thread again. For the last couple months over on Shmups Forum there's been an ongoing community event called Death Roulette. The idea is that each week you roll five shmups at random and get one attempt at each to get as far as possible. There's no playing for score involved, it's all about endurance and a lot of the fun involved is forcing yourself to play unfamiliar games and adapting to them in a short period of time. Thought maybe something like that here may be of interest to some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Those Tetris matches :stare:

• Locked thread