Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reive
May 21, 2009

Is it okay to record videos of games already played?
I want to do a Hellsinker episode since that game is kind of complex and I actually know how to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Reive posted:

I want to do a Hellsinker episode since that game is kind of complex and I actually know how to play it.

There's a "Expert Play" category for a reason!

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

GuavaMoment posted:

Confirmed, Gigawing is amazing. It's ruined me on other bullet hell games because I miss having that lightning shield so much.

You might want to check out RefleX, which is another bouncy-shield game (and also just cool as hell in general.)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I made a thing.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Speaking of shields in shmups... My first entry for the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAx80Aj7ZEQ

Samidare is a game I've had for a long time, it's a pretty fun if very short shmup where you don't have any kind of bombs, but instead a recharging shield that protects you against all damage and absorbs shots a high powered attack. It takes a good while to recharge though, so its best to use it only when you really need to. You can download the demo for the game here. Just go to [五月雨 ~samidare~] and click the first link.

Anyways, I hope the video is fine, I know my commentary is all over the place. English also isn't my first language. Still, any feedback is very much appreciated!

PS I also totally forgot to show off the extra stage, but I'd die horribly in 5 seconds there anyways.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 30, 2014

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Lance Streetman posted:

Astebreed is actually rather forgiving and has an easy mode if you're worried about that. I still haven't beaten the final boss on normal mode, but getting that far isn't too hard.

Yeah, Astebreed has quite a few mechanics that make most of the game doable, right up until you hit the final boss which punches you in the crotch for thinking you could get away with mindless poo poo.

I'll be contributing a video or two to this thread soon, as there's an old gem that I don't think most people are aware of, and it really deserves a spotlight.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I got some poo poo on the Internet for being a little creeped out with the art in Touhou 6 (I know, I know, it's not bad at all) so let's push our luck!

eXceed 3rd Jade Penetration Black Package

Summary: Don't let the anime witch thing turn you off, this is actually a really fun bullet hell! It's harder than Touhou 6, easier than Crimzon Clover, but it keeps the tension high without being crazy overwhelming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi6sVxcaeXk

I like this game a LOT. I think the music is more congruent with a bullet hell game than Touhou, it's more (but not as "ohgodwhatthefuckdoido" as Crimzon Clover) and the bullet patterns are really cool. I'd recommend.

...Okay, now to go through posted videos and update the OP...

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Reive posted:

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Absolutely feel free to play any games already posted. I would definitely be down to see what the hell is going on with Hellsinker.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Are you going to stream that eXceed game again slowbeef? It was pretty good, except the "artwork" for the bosses.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

FrickenMoron posted:

Are you going to stream that eXceed game again slowbeef? It was pretty good, except the "artwork" for the bosses.

I didn't even mind that too much, second boss nonwithstanding. But yes, I was gonna stream it last night but got too tired. Maybe tonight?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Niggurath posted:

Learning the basics of Luftrausers

Released back in March, Luftrauser presents a retro aesthetic with some physics based shooting mechanics with some interesting customization to combine down into a fun arcade shooter. In this video I try to cover some of the basics regarding the game and show off some of the starting mechanics of the game (i.e. shoot poo poo, avoid damage). I'd definitely be up for showing more of the game, but if you guys enjoy shooters then I'd totally recommend picking this game up for like $10.

Instantly added to my to-buy list, that looks really neat.

slowbeef posted:

I got some poo poo on the Internet for being a little creeped out with the art in Touhou 6 (I know, I know, it's not bad at all)

No, I don't think even the most ardent defenders of Touhou would call ZUN's art good :v:

tiistai fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 30, 2014

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
ZUNs art is really bad, stubby arms and zombie Reimu etc will always remind you of that.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The art in (most of) Touhou is godawful, I'm pretty sure the reason you got poo poo for it is because it felt like you came to the game with the idea of it being creepy already at the forefront of your mind. I know you wanted to give it a fair shake but it felt like you were constantly going back to the whole anime creep thing.

Also the music not playing felt really wrong, not sure what was up with that.

I think if you gave another one of them a try and just didn't discuss the anime girls or creepy fans at all (and maybe held Ctrl to skip all the dialogue) you'd enjoy it more and the video wouldn't come out as awkward as the Scarlet Devil one did.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
ZUN is not a great artist by any stretch. But at least, y'know, it's not creepy. Unlike e.g. eXceed, there is no creepy fanservice in any official Touhou games that I can recall.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Are there any sort of First-Person Shmup or is that genre top down exclusive?

What I'm asking is; does Serious Sam on a ridiculously hard difficulty count.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Aw yiss. I'm gonna dust off my gamepad and record some stuff for this thread. Also, slowbeef left the rules purposely vague, so whatever I guess. It's "The Shooting Gallery", so stuff like Virtua Cop 2 could probably pass.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Meanwhile, is it just me or are there a couple of patterns in eXceed 3rd that come a little too close to being straight up lifted from Touhou?

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 30, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

theshim posted:

I'll be working on some new stuff to upload, but in the meantime, I'll throw up one of my old videos:

A clear of Seihou Shuusou Gyoku's Extra Stage. Took an eminently stupid number of tries. Quality is pretty crappy mostly on account of it being from a much older computer and with much less video knowledge.
That was a pretty good runthrough. The Seihou games were actually pretty nice overall even if they had some trouble with execution at times. Actually I'd love to see the 2 versions of Seihou 3, I never really managed to get into them. Speaking of which...

FrickenMoron posted:

Speaking of shields in shmups... My first entry for the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAx80Aj7ZEQ

Samidare is a game I've had for a long time, it's a pretty fun if very short shmup where you don't have any kind of bombs, but instead a recharging shield that protects you against all damage and absorbs shots a high powered attack. It takes a good while to recharge though, so its best to use it only when you really need to. You can download the demo for the game here. Just go to [五月雨 ~samidare~] and click the first link.

Anyways, I hope the video is fine, I know my commentary is all over the place. English also isn't my first language. Still, any feedback is very much appreciated!

PS I also totally forgot to show off the extra stage, but I'd die horribly in 5 seconds there anyways.

Samidare is 10 years old? :smith:
I guess Amusement Makers really are dead...
Still, it's nice to see this game again. It's really neat, it just needs a couple playthroughs to get to know it, since some patterns really do need figuring out on how to best use the shield.
And yeah, the Extra Stage is absolutely insane, in a good way though. VIVIT is probably one of the cooler bosses they made, and the music is excellent.

tiistai posted:

No, I don't think even the most ardent defenders of Touhou would call ZUN's art good :v:

I think what happened was more of a moral argument thingy rather than just the quality.

HGH fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 30, 2014

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Its actually 12 years old, it first released in 2002 apparently.

Edit: I have a no miss replay of the extra stage of someone, its absolutely insane.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

HGH posted:

That was a pretty good runthrough. The Seihou games were actually pretty nice overall even if they had some trouble with execution at times.
Thanks! That was actually the last time I touched that stage and probably the last time I ever will. :v:

Seihou tends to have issues with some parts being braindead, some parts being borderline impossible, and virtually no distinction between the two on placement. Nearly half of Shuusou Gyoku's Extra stage and bosses can be snoozed through, and at the very same time it's one of the hardest stages of anything I've played. :shrug:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

HMS Boromir posted:

I think if you gave another one of them a try and just didn't discuss the anime girls or creepy fans at all (and maybe held Ctrl to skip all the dialogue) you'd enjoy it more and the video wouldn't come out as awkward as the Scarlet Devil one did.

At risk of weird derail, I'll leave it at: I think Touhou's a good game, and if anyone's like me and turned off by the anime girl witch thing, it doesn't get creepy and it's worth looking past that. Especially if you're interested in the bullet hell genre, but turned-off by the "experts only" appearance of it, Touhou 6 is actually a pretty manageable game and a good introduction.

That part aside, eXceed feels more... congruent? to me. Touhou's music was pretty good, but it feels off for some reason. eXceed, the music is kinda awesome, and while the voice acting is a little much, it does kinda work to add a "nonstop goings-on" feeling to things. I guess I'm saying that aesthetically (?), eXceed 3rd seemed to keep things more frenetic than Touhou 6 and I like it. But later Touhous are allegedly better, so maybe I'll give 'em a shot some time.

That said, I still love Crimzon Clover because it's nonstop action and there's really just no time to think at all.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Yeah really, Touhou 6 is really, really old and later ones have a lot better quality of life features, and...pretty much everything else.

Hell, Touhou 6 and 7 both have a really big problem where all the playable characters are slow as hell, with Reimu feeling like molasses.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Subterranean Animism remains my favorite, if for no other reason than that loving cat. It also has some of the best music, in my opinion.

Also, ZUN's musical repertoire consists mostly of weird MIDI trumpets, as you might have noticed. :toot:

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Subterranean Animism remains my favorite, if for no other reason than that loving cat. It also has some of the best music, in my opinion.

Also, ZUN's musical repertoire consists mostly of weird MIDI trumpets, as you might have noticed. :toot:

I like the final boss of 11 a lot because of how the attacks fit the theme. The warning message actually made me laugh and die stupidly the first time I got there...

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

HGH posted:

I think what happened was more of a moral argument thingy rather than just the quality.

Oh, I know, I was just making a dumb joke.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Even not knowing about touhou's fans, something bout touhou creeps me out. The art makes me feel like I'm on some weird deviantart page or an underground comic or some other thing where everything is a badly drawn little girl because the author's about to get freaky with them.

And anyway it's far funnier to see someone react to anime with disgust than acceptance. It's far closer to how people would react to the game that I know. Isn't that kind of identification with real life funn, I found the touhou video to be one of the funniest on the channel. really anyone generally demanding complete love and understanding from an internet comedian can gently caress right off anyway, they're probably the kind of people who'd be post in the dangan ronpa thread and get banned anyway.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
...Are you okay dude?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I still have a soft spot for TH6 because it's the simplest one of the windows Touhou games. No frills, no silly mechanics and scoring nonsense, it's just a straightforward shooting game. The series has improved greatly over time (compare that one Sakuya portrait to one of the ones from 13 or 14, or the midi-trumpet blaring insanity to something like Magical Storm) but 6 is still a fun game.

Rita Repulsa posted:

Even not knowing about touhou's fans, something bout touhou creeps me out. The art makes me feel like I'm on some weird deviantart page or an underground comic or some other thing where everything is a badly drawn little girl because the author's about to get freaky with them.

And anyway it's far funnier to see someone react to anime with disgust than acceptance. It's far closer to how people would react to the game that I know. Isn't that kind of identification with real life funn, I found the touhou video to be one of the funniest on the channel. really anyone generally demanding complete love and understanding from an internet comedian can gently caress right off anyway, they're probably the kind of people who'd be post in the dangan ronpa thread and get banned anyway.
:stare:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hi, I've got a couple of requests/recommendations.

Star Soldier R (PC engine, Wii virtual console) - a simple top-down shmup, but thoroughly good. Fairly standard, get a powerup to change your bullet, get a powerup of the type you already have to upgrade bullet. Has three different weapons for each powerup type. Recommend playing on normal difficulty cause bumping it up just adds health to enemies and makes it impossible to reasonably kill anything.

GO Series: Dark Spirits (DSiware) - side-scrolling bullet shooter with a neat twist - rather than powering up yourself, you power up your four options with one of four different elements, and can have them fire in three different formations. Seems fairly short, only has four levels and a final boss, but it loops and each loop is practically a completely new set of stages, at least up to halfway through loop 3. Graphics remind me of the handheld Castlevanias, music is good. Very cheap, too.

FINAL BOSS (PC) - Full disclosure, this one's made by a couple of my friends, but the video I'm linking below is the first I've actually seen of it. According to a developer: "Basically, it's a very traditional, vertically scrolling shoot'em up. You shoot, you dodge and you'll eventually die too while attempting for a new high score. Since Final Boss is our love letter to the shmup genre, it also has plenty of cameos from different shmup classics. We really wanted to show how near and dear this genre is to us and I hope it shows."
Demo trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYl74LiIvRY
Shmups forum thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29058

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Well if we're throwing out games we'd like to see, I wouldn't mind seeing Enemy Mind: http://store.steampowered.com/app/285840/?snr=1_5_9__205

Seems like a normal shmup but with the extra addition of replacing normal power-ups with being able to take over enemy ships.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Let's quickly talk about a shooter that isn't bullet hell, isn't full of little girls, and isn't crazy or weird.

I'm talking about a little-known title called Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender, it's basically Defender with a new coat of polish and a whole lot of adorable pixel cats.

Here I go through Arcade Mode as far as I can, a nonstop gauntlet of all the game's stages with no continues and see how far I can get. I'm not an expert and this isn't intended to show off my skills, just the game. A bit of note: This has subtitles, as I didn't want to talk over the game's phenomenal soundtrack. It's my first time doing subtitles, so I hope I managed to do them well! :catdrugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGW43rOIwl0

Edit: Give it a few minutes if it looks awful, because Youtube loves to make you wait before it'll provide a quality setting higher than 'muddy rear end'.

Kobold eBooks fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 30, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if it's because it's not up to the standards or I didn't make the post large enough, but my Raptor video didn't make into the OP. Just nitpickin'.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Man, trying to get back into shape with Gradius, and... boy, is "Gradius Syndrome" a legitimate thing. There really is no clawing back in that game unless you're perfect. Which I am not.

Pretty much all but requires a 1CC in order to beat it. I'll get it, though. With tenacity.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

FreezingInferno posted:

Man, trying to get back into shape with Gradius, and... boy, is "Gradius Syndrome" a legitimate thing. There really is no clawing back in that game unless you're perfect. Which I am not.

Pretty much all but requires a 1CC in order to beat it. I'll get it, though. With tenacity.

The tipping point is whether or not you can get some Speed Ups really. If you manage to get your speed back it can be remarkably simple to claw your way back up to 'able to actually do things'.

Gradius Syndrome is called that for a reason, though. Good luck!

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

bathroomrage posted:

The tipping point is whether or not you can get some Speed Ups really. If you manage to get your speed back it can be remarkably simple to claw your way back up to 'able to actually do things'.
In all the Gradius games, when you die with a powerup in stock you respawn with Speedup highlighted. Therefore, if you're trying to claw your way out of checkpoint hell it's crucial that you never spend your powerup (after the initial speeedup of course) until you've spawned another one to replace it, even if it would be really really useful. In most games speed 1 vs speed 0 is basically the difference between "barely adequate" and "can do nothing but die".

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Anime Reference posted:

In all the Gradius games, when you die with a powerup in stock you respawn with Speedup highlighted. Therefore, if you're trying to claw your way out of checkpoint hell it's crucial that you never spend your powerup (after the initial speeedup of course) until you've spawned another one to replace it, even if it would be really really useful. In most games speed 1 vs speed 0 is basically the difference between "barely adequate" and "can do nothing but die".

And this is why I do everything I can to end up with my powerup bar hovering over Force Field/Reduce once I get my weapons and defense powerup(Forcefield, Reduce, etc)online. If I screw up and die, I can still salvage that run with the Speed-Up I respawn with! :eng101: Assuming I don't just pop it to refresh Reduce.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Warning Forever pt. 1 of 1
The title of this game comes from the warning message and siren that appears in a lot of shmups to inform you that a boss is on its way to kick your rear end. This game is bosses all day every day forever (until your timer runs out). While the bosses are not randomized they are not fixed either. The way you play affects the parts and weapons that get added to the next boss. I'm not entirely sure what exactly causes the bosses to change in what way. If I knew that then maybe I'd be really good at this game rather than passable, which is what I am now. I'd love to see someone truly good at these kinds of games show me just how big these bosses can get. So if you have shmup skill and a little time download the game below and show me how it's done, it's completely free.

Warning Forever Download as found on this page. Sadly, this is the only download that doesn't force you to use some third party downloader to get the game. I don't trust those things. The official page also appears to be inaccessible so this is all we get for now.

The game has no music but I used some in the video, you can find them on oc remix
Gradius: Perfect Solution
Super R-Type: Solitary Flight
Axelay: Kick My Axe

I was also actually thinking of making a proper Beat Hazard Let's Play thread a while back but decided against it. Maybe I'll use some of my old ideas in that regard later on in this thread.

E: It appears that the video is only available in 144p right now. Might be a processing thing on YTs part but this has never happened to any of my vids before. If it looks like crap just come back later.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 30, 2014

Karnith
Jul 9, 2014

slowbeef posted:

I didn't even mind that too much, second boss nonwithstanding.
I find that eXceed 3rd is much more enjoyable if you just disable the dialogue altogether, which has the benefit of both skipping the creepy anime girl art and keeping the game moving.

Also, to anyone who was wondering or cared about the game's clunky name, eXceed 3rd Jade Penetrate Black Package was originally released as just eXceed 3rd Jade Penetrate, which was, granted, a silly name to start with. A few years later, Tennen-sozai (the developer) released an improved version of the game, with the subtitle Black Package. It's a reference to CAVE, who tacks the phrase "Black Label" onto the ends of the titles of their updated rereleases(e.g. Espgaluda II and Espgaluda II: Black Label or Ibara and Ibara Kuro: Black Label).

Jaimers
Jul 30, 2014
Speaking of CAVE,

Ketsui ~Kizuna Jigoku Tachi~ Ura 2-ALL 1cc

Released in 2002, Ketsui is in my opinion one of Cave's finest titles. The presentation, gameplay mechanics and stage design are all extremely good. The scoring system is also very innovative and gives you plenty to do during the game as well as experiment with it.
The basic mechanics are quite simple, you have your bombs, your shot and a lock-shot to home onto enemies.

The scoring system on the other hand is quite complicated. From top to bottom in the top-left you have the stage counter, your current counter (also displays above your ship) and the multiplier. You use your normal shot to kill enemies up-close for a high-value chip (max of 5).
This increases your current counter which multiplies the enemy kill value. While you collect a chip you will also trigger a timer for the multiplier in which you use the lock shot to multiply enemy value with your current counter and your current chip number (for example 160x200x5). This will also decrease the current counter depending on the enemy.
Since enemies have different point values (as seen here) and different values that decrease the current counter, figuring out how to optimize score in this game is quite hard. A good thing to remember though is to save your counter for the midbosses as they are worth a whole lot.
Stage counter only comes into play for bosses and end-of-stage bonuses.
tl;dr: shmup scoring is very complicated and profound.

The game features two second loops that you can trigger after clearing the first loop. These are the easier Omote loop and the harder Ura loop.
The difference between Omote and Ura is quite huge. Everything in Ura is way faster and there are way more suicide bullets which are also harder to seal.
To get into the Omote loop you have to beat the game by making six or less mistakes. Mistakes here meaning either a bomb or a death.

For Ura however you have beat the game without dying and bombing AT ALL and score at least 120 million points.
The game's True Last Boss, EVACCANNEER DOOM, also only shows up at the end of the Ura loop.
It's quite nerve-wrecking to have to perfect the 1st loop and then keep your composure during the devastating Ura loop.

This Ketsui run is actually fairly old but I remodeled it a bit for the thread and I'll see if I can get some new stuff up soon. Although there are still some cool old things I'd like to show off too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It occurs to me that, while a lot of people in the thread obviously like shmups, not everyone's familiar with the terminology, like 1CC, loop, etc. Anyone mind if I write up a short glossary of terms?

• Locked thread