Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Smash, Andy, you around this week? I'm effinslowbeef on Skype or @slowbeef on Twitter. I'm not 100% I can do it tonight, but maybe we can coordinate tech stuff, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

InterrupterJones posted:

Hell if we have enough people show interest, we could have a 4 player run of Jamestown. I've never done the multiplayer personally, but I've always been interested in trying it.

Huh, I thought Jamestown was only local multi?

Edit; Yeah its Local Co-op unfortunately. We'd have to do a multistream.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

slowbeef posted:

:siren: To be clear :siren:

You do not have to have much shmup experience, or even be very good, to contribute. I'd really love to see some first time videos too. HelloWinter joined an Ikaruga stream I did and ended up loving the game's visuals, so experiences like that are more than welcome.

I watched that stream and her reactions were a joy to behold: I don't think a single minute went by without her being surprised or excited by something happening.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I watched that stream and her reactions were a joy to behold: I don't think a single minute went by without her being surprised or excited by something happening.

I know! I wanted to post it, it's just I did really loving bad. I should've practiced more, but it was a stream and I really wanted to play Ikaruga...

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

slowbeef posted:

Smash, Andy, you around this week? I'm effinslowbeef on Skype or @slowbeef on Twitter. I'm not 100% I can do it tonight, but maybe we can coordinate tech stuff, etc.
I should be available! You've already got me on Skype but I work weekdays, so if you need to talk about stuff during the day you can either PM me here or on Twitter.

I totally forgot about Time Attack mode. That might be a good option, but there isn't really a need to count deaths in Time Attack since you're already getting penalized by losing your Break, losing time to kill enemies, and dropping your score as a result. Maybe we could do a survival run of Boost/Normal/Unlimited and a score run for Time Attack?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Highwang posted:

I have a couple ideas for contributing to this thread myself, namely Sine Mora, Jamestown and Parodius.

I also have a bunch of classic arcade shmups/bullet hells, but some of them are insanely hard.
Yeah Jamestown has been on my list for YEARS :staredog: I'm gonna totally bomb a let's try of that!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I've been looking for an excuse to play some Raptor again. Might finally be time to do that LP.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Geop posted:

Yeah Jamestown has been on my list for YEARS :staredog: I'm gonna totally bomb a let's try of that!

I have a good 15 hours in it yet I still cant beat the gauntlet. I keep loving up at either Roanoke or the train level and it sucks.

Its a fun game though. Totally recommend trying it, its very forgiving toward new shmup players.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

InterrupterJones posted:

Hell if we have enough people show interest, we could have a 4 player run of Jamestown. I've never done the multiplayer personally, but I've always been interested in trying it.

I'd be totally up for that, I haven't played Jamestown in a while but I remember it was really fun.
Didn't even know it had multiplayer.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

SourceElement posted:

I'm gonna show off some Beat Hazard. Unlike other twin stick shooters, Beat Hazard's levels are all generated on the fly. The game also uses your own music library to generate the stage hazards. You can also choose the ships you fly in each level, with full workshop support to create your own ships. I'm using the Vic Viper from Gradius here.

There's no commentary because there's really not a lot to say about a randomly generated shoot 'em up level. So just sit back and enjoy the music!

Beat Hazard: Perturbator - Electric Dreams

Oh and I want to warn that this game starts off with a gigantic warning about photosensitivity and potentially siezure-inducing graphics. I've turned the effects down as far as they'll go -- which makes the game actually playable -- but if you're epileptic, you probably shouldn't watch the video.

Added to the OP. Thinking of keeping a top 5-10 (most recent? popular?) embedded video thing in the OP, with the full list in the second post.

drifterofhell
Nov 5, 2009
Well according to steam Metal Slug 3 is a shmup, so would it be fine to do a coop run through for the thread?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

drifterofhell posted:

Well according to steam Metal Slug 3 is a shmup, so would it be fine to do a coop run through for the thread?

Uh...

I mean to be honest, I was kinda more interested in the flying shmups. But tell you what, I won't like stop you from posting it or report it or anything, so post away!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
You know what, I'm just gonna stream this game for a little while and if the video comes out good, I'll put it up on youtube and link it later. Sounds all right? All right.

http://www.twitch.tv/crabtanksa (Game is Touhou 9.5 - Shoot the Bullet. Bullet hell photography!)

E: It's over

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 29, 2014

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Well poo poo Jamestown is local only. I would be down for some multistream Skype etc, but I guess that's getting close to 2007 style?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Would showing off some Luftrauser be alright for the thread? I'm not amazing at it but gently caress, do I enjoy that game.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
If we're all up for playing more cutesy anime shumps, I have the PSX port of Cotton :3:

If nothing else, I ordered a HDPVR 2 so I can stream my Vita TV. Let's see if I actually do anything for this thread :getin:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Highwang posted:

I have a couple ideas for contributing to this thread myself, namely Sine Mora, Jamestown and Parodius.

I also have a bunch of classic arcade shmups/bullet hells, but some of them are insanely hard.
Well I've already got Gokujou Parodius all recorded up, so you can totally take the first one and even Sexy Parodius because I have no emulator for that and also holy christ did I suck bad at the first Parodius and I just can't play it.
I sure hope you do better than I did!

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 29, 2014

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I'm also wondering if Pocky & Rocky would be a viable thing for this thread. It plays almost exactly like a shmup but you walk around rather than go on rails.

FinalGamer posted:

Well I've already got Gokujou Parodius all recorded up, so you can totally take the first one and even Sexy Parodius because I have no emulator for that and also holy christ did I suck bad at the first Parodius and I just can't play it.
I sure hope you do better than I did!

I've been trying to find a working Sexy Parodius emulation method for months without success, it sucks. I was thinking of doing the SNES one Parodius- Nonsense Fantasy since its the easiest to record.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I'll be working on some new stuff to upload, but in the meantime, I'll throw up one of my old videos:

A clear of Seihou Shuusou Gyoku's Extra Stage. Took an eminently stupid number of tries. Quality is pretty crappy mostly on account of it being from a much older computer and with much less video knowledge.

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)
Let's show off Thunder Force 3(winning attempt is 25:48 into the first part, because I reset due to losing too many credits):
part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iVm6Rvm5AI
part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXf9DN8z1T4
part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHNDU-7HOV8

The game audio is too loud compared to the microphone sound, but it gets better about 33 minutes into the 1st part. I'll look through Audacity or something to see if there's a way to improve it. Worst case scenario, you get to listen to the game's awesome soundtrack.

GarbiTheGlitchress fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 30, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Niggurath posted:

Would showing off some Luftrauser be alright for the thread? I'm not amazing at it but gently caress, do I enjoy that game.

Please do!

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
Hmm.. I wonder if I could do R-type Delta without having to practice for hours on end...

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Highwang posted:

I've been trying to find a working Sexy Parodius emulation method for months without success, it sucks. I was thinking of doing the SNES one Parodius- Nonsense Fantasy since its the easiest to record.
Oh sure go right ahead! I tried to do that game and just had the most horrendous time before I just gave up around stage 4, I can't wait to see.

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)
Probably going to show off U.N Squadron on hard for the SNES tomorrow. Not too sure if I'll beat it, but it will probably be entertaining either way.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dectilon posted:

Hmm.. I wonder if I could do R-type Delta without having to practice for hours on end...

Playing as the Cerberus takes most of the strain out of it at least. First time I ever cleared the game was with that ship.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Geop posted:

I'm Tohoutally interested in contributing to this thread eventually!

I guess you could say you're... shmup for it. (Was that one too obvious?)

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I posted these in a bitter_one's Project Slypheed thread a year ago, but in case anyone missed it, I have a full LP ready to post!

Got an itch for Schumps? Laser Scratch it! Let's Play Silpheed!

Zellus said everything I could possibly want to say about Silpheed CD right here.

Zellus posted:

Silpheed on the Sega CD is also a fairly decent shmup worth checking out, and Game Arts somehow managed to fill the whole game with full-screen FMV footage that doesn't look like heavily compressed garbage. It honestly looks pretty impressive in motion (and for a Sega CD game that's saying something).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQLVOQS4KB0&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU5MfDFXaU4&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C40klrxay70&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYkFeAce5rM&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0jBDQ-GIZ0&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5klDeTp_4I&hd=1

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

maybe ill do gigawing maybe as that is the best bullet hell game ever made (slowbeef try gigawing i think it would be your kinda thing)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Video is up:

Let's show off Shoot the Bullet (Youtube)

Shoot the Bullet is a... different bullet hell game where you don't actually fire bullets. You play as journalist Shameimaru Aya, a stage boss from one of the other Touhou games, trying to take photographs of the other bosses' spell cards (bullet patterns). Your camera recharges over time; when it's at 100%, you can take a photo, which clears bullets from the targeted area. Your goal for each stage is to get 3-5 pictures (depending on the stage) with the boss in them, and as many bullets and bonus factors you can to increase your score. Each stage has 6-9 substages, and beating three of them lets you continue to the next stage, even if you haven't beaten all the substages yet. The game is one hit kill, so touch a bullet and you have to redo the spellcard from the start, but you have infinite retries.

So I edited this sucker down from about an hour of playing down to just the spell cards I managed to capture, and two that I didn't. This game is very hard, even by Touhou standards. I managed to beat 10 stages out of 85 total, and the later stages are much more brutal. I am not good at this game.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Stux posted:

maybe ill do gigawing maybe as that is the best bullet hell game ever made (slowbeef try gigawing i think it would be your kinda thing)

Confirmed, Gigawing is amazing. It's ruined me on other bullet hell games because I miss having that lightning shield so much.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I just watched the first Silpheed vid and drat, that's impressive. Give the intro some texturing and I'd probably mistake it for a PS2 game.

Stux posted:

Give Mars Matrix a try as well. It's by the same people who did Giga Wing and plays like a cross between that and Dodonpachi.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
If we don't get some Deathsmiles in here soon, I'm gonna have to do it myself, and you do not want to see that.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Fiendly posted:

If we don't get some Deathsmiles in here soon, I'm gonna have to do it myself, and you do not want to see that.

I love Deathsmiles and was totally going to record some but then I realized I'm really awful at it because I haven't played it in like, two years. (It may have been a bad idea to jump right into Mega Black Label 1.1 on level 999)

Maybe I'll practice some more and get an at least somewhat presentable video out of it.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I love Deathsmiles and was totally going to record some but then I realized I'm really awful at it because I haven't played it in like, two years. (It may have been a bad idea to jump right into Mega Black Label 1.1 on level 999)

Maybe I'll practice some more and get an at least somewhat presentable video out of it.

It's probably not humanly possible to be worse than I am, hence my desperation to not have to do it myself. Looking forward to seeing something competent (at least compared to what I'm used to) if you end up doing it, and if utterly disastrous efforts end up catching on in the thread, I may yet contribute.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I'd love to contribute to this thread since I've been into SHMUPs lately. Once I get my new hard drive for my computer and Windows up and running, I'll try to record some videos of me trying to 1cc Star Prince and/or GunDuel from the first two Retro Game Challenge/Game Center CX: Arino's Challenge games since those are some pretty good classic/non bullet hell-style vertical SHMUPs.

Also, I hope it's okay if any videos I record/upload are either without commentary, or subtitled commentary since my voice would probably get me automatically banned from the entire internet due to how bad it is to hear. :smith:.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Do love some Deathsmiles. I play it so infrequently (along with Dodonpachi DaiFukkatsu and Akai Katana), I never really get any better at it though, so seeing the bonus bosses/second loops is basically out of the question.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Since I love following slowbeefs shmup streams (when I catch them, that is) I'm rather excited about this topic! I booted up some shmups I played like, 9 years ago and totally suck at them now. Actually I always sucked at them, just a bit less back then. I have this issue where when I'm confronted with, lets say sensory overload? I end up pressing the wrong keys tons of time in tough shmups. :(

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shmups are one of those genres of games that I have to enjoy vicariously since I have zero skill at them, so I'm looking forward to seeing all the games that people bring out. Astebreed looks rad as hell and is tempting to buy even if I doubt I could clear the first stage.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Learning the basics of Luftrausers

Released back in March, Luftrauser presents a retro aesthetic with some physics based shooting mechanics with some interesting customization to combine down into a fun arcade shooter. In this video I try to cover some of the basics regarding the game and show off some of the starting mechanics of the game (i.e. shoot poo poo, avoid damage). I'd definitely be up for showing more of the game, but if you guys enjoy shooters then I'd totally recommend picking this game up for like $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

chumbler posted:

Shmups are one of those genres of games that I have to enjoy vicariously since I have zero skill at them, so I'm looking forward to seeing all the games that people bring out. Astebreed looks rad as hell and is tempting to buy even if I doubt I could clear the first stage.

Astebreed is actually rather forgiving and has an easy mode if you're worried about that. I still haven't beaten the final boss on normal mode, but getting that far isn't too hard.

• Locked thread