Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

This looks to be a pretty cool thread. I might have to contribute something once I have more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I hope someone is planning to do some Raizing stuff, notably Battle Garegga and Armed Police Batrider.

I love the hell out of those games but even with playing on and off for several months now, I'm still terrible. :v:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

bathroomrage posted:

I second this, and I REALLY wanna see someone play the pre-update version of Battle Garegga with all of the drab-colored bullets. :unsmigghh:

You mean the ONLY version of Garegga. :colbert:

E: To add on to your Raizing discussion, Garegga and Batrider are both rather notorious games thanks to their developer, Shinobu Yagawa. In both games Yagawa implemented a dynamic difficulty system known as Rank. Essentially, the game keeps track of multiple elements in the background (shots fired, power-ups collected, lives hoarded, etc.) and upon hitting certain plateaus, the game automatically becomes harder. More enemies, enemies with more health, faster bullets, and so on. The only way to significantly reduce rank in either game is by suiciding. Thus, learning to play either game well means going against some rather common conventions of the genre.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 31, 2014

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

FreezingInferno posted:

Oh yes. How familiar indeed.

I really would love to see an Axelay video in this thread, though; it might be my favorite shooting game. That or MUSHA on the Genesis.

I think I'll do an Axelay recording this weekend, as long as I can remember how not to gently caress up the last stage. :v:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Samizdata posted:

So what were the F's for?

F's act as a bomb, clearing bullets and enemies.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Streaming some 1cc attempts of NMK's underrated shmup, Thunder Dragon 2.

http://www.twitch.tv/iastsa

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Streaming some Soldier Blade. Turbografx shmup goodness.

http://www.twitch.tv/iastSA

E: Even more great, a 1cc on stream!

iastudent fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I think it's about time for a necro.

So there's something I've been thinking about to try to stimulate this thread again. For the last couple months over on Shmups Forum there's been an ongoing community event called Death Roulette. The idea is that each week you roll five shmups at random and get one attempt at each to get as far as possible. There's no playing for score involved, it's all about endurance and a lot of the fun involved is forcing yourself to play unfamiliar games and adapting to them in a short period of time. Thought maybe something like that here may be of interest to some people.

• Locked thread