Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Oh I am SO up for this, I will definitely get down to some shmupping tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Highwang posted:

I have a couple ideas for contributing to this thread myself, namely Sine Mora, Jamestown and Parodius.

I also have a bunch of classic arcade shmups/bullet hells, but some of them are insanely hard.
Well I've already got Gokujou Parodius all recorded up, so you can totally take the first one and even Sexy Parodius because I have no emulator for that and also holy christ did I suck bad at the first Parodius and I just can't play it.
I sure hope you do better than I did!

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 29, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Highwang posted:

I've been trying to find a working Sexy Parodius emulation method for months without success, it sucks. I was thinking of doing the SNES one Parodius- Nonsense Fantasy since its the easiest to record.
Oh sure go right ahead! I tried to do that game and just had the most horrendous time before I just gave up around stage 4, I can't wait to see.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

"It's Like Gradius But Japan", let's play Gokujou Parodius!

Click Here To Receive Your Free Complete Game Parodius!

Welcome one and all to Gokujou Parodius, a.k.a Fantastic Parodius: Pursue the Glory of the Past which is the third in the Parodius series. The series blends a fine mix between Gradius-style shoot-em-up gameplay with powerups and pace along with some elements of Twinbee. Konami's absurdly-stupid-but-INCREDIBLE-FUN series is a mockery of itself, other Konami games and even Japan itself.
Join me and FreezingInferno in this one-hit-video wonder of mind-bending madness played by a not-so-competent player whose only saving grace, is that he played this game an incredible amount of times to the point of memorising a lot of parts. If you know how Gradius works, you pretty much understand this game, but for those of you who don't, a rundown of powerups:

Speed-Up: Self-explanatory
Poton/Missile: Ground-crawling attack to deal with enemies underneath you
Double: Shoots a secondary shot upwards, must choose between this or Spread Gun
Spread Gun: Shoots a blast-inducing series of shots to trap enemies in its blast radius, must choose between this or Double
Option: Extra allies to increase rate of fire
OH!: Reduces all of your stats to 1 and takes all abilities away
Bubble: A shield

Every choice of fighter has their own variations of this but this is pretty much all you need to know. As for some additional info on stuff I mentioned
The Israeli folk song remix from Sexy Parodius based on "Mayim Mayim".
The "Turkey in the Straw" song on the PSP version of Gokujou Parodius.
The "That's The Way (I Like It) remix featured in Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius.

Have fun everyone, and go crazy! If nobody else wants to try Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius then I will gladly go ahead and do it. Parodius Da however I'm letting Highwang or someone else do because gently caress that game.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 31, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

inthesto posted:

I'll admit that this is the only reason I know anything about Aero Fighters:

Oh my god yes please PLEASE someone play Aero Fighters with this character. I have always wanted to see this game played for real and I never got a chance to.

Also um, if it's alright with people, I really wanna take on Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius myself as I really got a second wind for shmups to play more Parodius so I'm gonna get all recorded up tomorrow. I haven't played that one in ages but now that I got some training back in me from Gokujou it shouldn't be as bad as I was.

After that I pretty much have exhausted all of the shmups I'm good at so that'll be me in terms of playing.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

NuclearPotato posted:

Slightly off topic, but since you mentioned Takeshi's Challenge, I'll bring it up anyway. The person who worked on the guide didn't actually kill himself. No, that was the publishing company's excuse to angry owners of the guide who found out that there was a misprint that made navigating such a confusing mess of a game that much harder. :eng101:
Ohhhh...right wow that's uh, that's one hell of an excuse to make up, thanks for clearing that up I really appreciate it! :D

This is no time to talk! Let's Play Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius!

Click Here To Receive Your Free Parodius Game AGAIN! (NOW WITH LESS lovely AUDIO)

The direct sequel to Gokujou Parodius, Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius was never released outside of Japan and didn't even start as an arcade game unlike the other Parodius games. Beginning its life on the SNES before being hopped around the other consoles, the game is even MORE insane than its predecessor due to the additional "chatting" gimmick, also known as Oshaberi which is supposed to emulate game show hosts. This is very very annoying and we will not be hearing it throughout this entire Let's Play, which consists of only one 49-minute video.

I'm joined by my non-goon boyfriend Philip91 who, after seeing the previous Parodius vid, had to come watch the madness unfold for high times and funfuckery. Hold onto your butts, cuz poo poo's about to get crazy up in this bitch.

(Sorry for the weird sound problems in the first five minutes, Skype call recorder is weird but the rest of the video is fine!)

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 3, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

bathroomrage posted:

You say it gets better but it really doesn't and the whole video sounds like you're all screaming into tin cans while you play inside of a shack made out of aluminum foil.
:
Also what's up with turning off the Oshaberi? I know it's annoying, but it's kind of this game's defining feature as a Parodius. :shrug:
Wait...awwww poo poo hold on I hosed up something during the audio I forgot to scrub it out a little SORRY! :doh: I'll just take down this video and reupload with much cleaner audio. My hearing's pretty lovely and I forgot my usual routine with cleaning audio for other people cuz I can't hear as much of the "tin rattling" other people do so, lemme just take down the vid and reupload, thanks!

As for turning off Oshaberi, which would you rather wanna hear? The awesome musical remixes of various song sources, or two Japanese dudes constantly screaming at you for the most random things? I know that's the big defining feature of the game, but it's still just a gimmick and it gets annoying REALLY fast when you're just trying to enjoy the music and chaos in itself.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 3, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Reposting because I fixed the audio, I hope this helps. :cripes:

FinalGamer posted:

Ohhhh...right wow that's uh, that's one hell of an excuse to make up, thanks for clearing that up I really appreciate it! :D

This is no time to talk! Let's Play Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius!

Click Here To Receive Your Free Parodius Game AGAIN! (NOW WITH LESS lovely AUDIO)

The direct sequel to Gokujou Parodius, Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius was never released outside of Japan and didn't even start as an arcade game unlike the other Parodius games. Beginning its life on the SNES before being hopped around the other consoles, the game is even MORE insane than its predecessor due to the additional "chatting" gimmick, also known as Oshaberi which is supposed to emulate game show hosts. This is very very annoying and we will not be hearing it throughout this entire Let's Play, which consists of only one 49-minute video.

I'm joined by my non-goon boyfriend Philip91 who, after seeing the previous Parodius vid, had to come watch the madness unfold for high times and funfuckery. Hold onto your butts, cuz poo poo's about to get crazy up in this bitch.

(Sorry for the weird sound problems in the first five minutes, Skype call recorder is weird but the rest of the video is fine!)

Cheez posted:

But you guys weren't Japanese...? :confused:

The voice isn't that loud, and the music already can't be heard when you guys were talking, so I would think there's not too much to be lost by having it on, is there? On that note though, would you even mind if anybody re-ran those two games in this thread? If I can find it, I think I've got some old footage back when I was still good at shooters and I feel like it might be worth adding commentary to. Difficulty 8 I think, so there's quite a few differences from what you've shown off.

Or if you prefer, I could show off the PSX versions perhaps? I think the game you just played had a massive amount of differences between the SNES and other versions. I kind of want to do both, since Parodius is something I really used to be into even before bullet hell stuff.
I REALLY get annoyed at hearing the voices all the goddamn time while I'm trying to play. Like really REALLY annoyed, but if you're not that pissed off at hearing them go right ahead, actually I would love to see someone do the PSX version because there are a LOT of differences made to that one, better music and a few extra stuff so please go right ahead! I'd love to see, and you can turn on the Oshaberi and everything.

I mean...long as Slowbeef doesn't have any problems with that?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Ah, Agony.

Also known as holy poo poo this game has really loving long loading times: The shooting game
Also known as that one game with the beautiful intro song that Dimmu Borgir stole for one of their songs, because oh my god it's so beautiful from an Amiga of all things.
Also for having AMAZINGLY good graphics at the time for how beautifully rendered everything was...despite the shooter aspect being loving godawful for the bullets being pretty drat impossible to see for blending into the background. It's also more or less the official game for the owl mascot of Psygnosis, who was finally canonised as Alestes before nobody cared and knew them just for making WipeOut games later on.

Libluini posted:

It's time now.

Welcome to Amnios

Fun fact: If I had actually bothered to read what is written on the back of the box, it would've spared me some confusion. That's what I get for trusting the ingame-cutscenes, I guess. :shepface:

Amnios Planet 01: Rhapsody in Green

Edit:

I have an image from the back of the box mentioned above, but I decided it would spoiler the game too much for the first part, so I post it next time instead.
This game is loving weird but gorgeous, I love the writing of the intro for being pretty prosaic, this is what shooters mean to me. Poetical storylines that make absolutely no goddamn sense, while you shoot down floating vaginas. I cannot wait to see more of this so please keep playing through, I love this kind of beautiful absurdity on a more relatable level in terms of madness since well, this is more European and I feel that we need more of this kind of shooter after all the Anime overwhelming us in this thread.

Reminds me a lot of Thunder Force II actually and speaking of anime, holy gently caress Galshell :stonk: I am GENUINELY amazed by Retrobanner's work, holy poo poo that is some fantastic censorship nice work dude! On an unrelated note, I really do love Junji Ito's work for how hosed-up awesome it is. And the cat diaries are hilariously twisted, the most famous of his work is "The Legend of Amigara Fault" which is pretty great and short to read.

This game seems...rather weird though to play, in the gameplay perspective and not in the good way.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Speaking of Galshell: I'm somewhat exonerated. I had killed the last boss. The last attack is unavoidable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-xmX0Pz6GQ

That said, there really are ending screens in the game assets, so... maybe you have to 1cc it? I'm not sure. Guy in the video has 4 lives remaining so it looked like a no-miss run?

edit: Yeah look, it even took away all his reserve lives before the attack.
Man that is such loving horseshit, gently caress Galshell. gently caress that entire game.

Libluini posted:

OK fine next planet of Amnios is done:

Amnios Planet 02: Symphony of Skin

This video is a mess. First I accidentally recorded too much audio because I didn't notice one of my clips repeating itself, then I had to scramble to cut/edit/pad out everything until I had a working video. Hopefully the result isn't too confusing!

Like I promised, the backside of the box.

Fake Edit:

In case it interests you, I present to you the manual (also I wanted to go through the manual in the video, but since I had to edit out a large chunk of it, part of it is missing from it):

AMIGA LOADING INSTRUCTIONS
I love that it came with such a poo poo ton of instructions, holy poo poo the Amiga must have been a monster to handle. Also those eye-faces in the sand look pretty rad, I love those. Does look rather bullshit though, not gonna lie I got no idea how you handled this without just flipping up a table or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

I hope you enjoyed my Darius Twin stream.
Aw poo poo this makes me wanna see someone play G-Darius, that game is loving weird and awesome for the most amazing loving soundtrack I ever heard. :allears:

• Locked thread