Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I'd be down to post something pertaining to Jamestown once I get back to my rig. I mean as you all know, the best shmups are the ones that throw colonial era history into the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Highwang posted:

I have a couple ideas for contributing to this thread myself, namely Sine Mora, Jamestown and Parodius.

I also have a bunch of classic arcade shmups/bullet hells, but some of them are insanely hard.

Hell if we have enough people show interest, we could have a 4 player run of Jamestown. I've never done the multiplayer personally, but I've always been interested in trying it.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Well poo poo Jamestown is local only. I would be down for some multistream Skype etc, but I guess that's getting close to 2007 style?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

sagacious posted:

Steam store

Posting this just to show you guys maybe some of you have interest in it since it is a pretty fun game and a little bit different then the other stuff out there.

About the game:
Symphony is a really fun top down shooter that is completely based around music. Each track determines how much enemy's you will face and how they will behave.
The game itself comes with some prepacked tracks but you can always import the music on your computer. Damage is somewhat different then other shoot-em-ups out there since death is not always instant instead every time a projectile or an enemy hits the ship some parts will break off disabling 1 or more of your weapons.

Bosses:
Songs for the bosses will be randomly chosen and every boss will appear at a random time early on for the song you have chosen.
Each boss will act differently depending on the difficulty you have chosen also each boss will have 3 different difficulties in themselves. After beating a boss 3 times will unlock you a new difficulty.

Other aspects of the game:
  • Different weapons each you can upgrade 4 times
  • 6 difficulty levels
  • Surported files MP3, OGG, WAV, FLAC, WMA (Windows only), AIFF, WV
  • M4A and AAC are also supported but you need to buy it as separate DLC

Would have liked to show of the game for you but since it is mostly based of licensed music I don't think that would be the best idea

For my first (hopefully of many) contributions to this thread, I'd like to expound on this game a tad. Orchestra fans, rejoice:

Let's Literally Play Symphony

Igor Stravinsky was a Russian composer in the early 20th century, who is perhaps best survived by his ballet The Rite of Spring. It's known for being quite a shift in tone for music in general at the time, and was so poorly received upon it's premier that it caused a riot at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées over 100 years ago. It's intense, dramatic, oddly lyrical at times, and just a blast to both listen to and perform.

I decided to literally put a symphonic piece into Symphony to see how it would turn out, and the results were decently interesting. I have two versions of the gameplay: one that's condensed to under 15 minutes with subtitles to show the more interesting parts, and the uncut 35 minute version with no text at all if you're completely insane and want to see the whole thing. I have them both unlisted right now because I'm not entirely sure if I'll get smacked with a copyright claim or not. Either way, hope you enjoy.

Rite of Spring - Cut version
Rite of Spring - Full version

I may do some more pieces/songs later on; but as has been mentioned before, this game isn't all that interesting as a shmup. I'll probably work on either some Jamestown or Aerofighters vids for next time.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I remember a story I once heard about the Rite of Spring. A conductor was having trouble getting a good performance out of his orchestra, so he shouted, "Look, the Rite of Spring is about SEX!" Everyone instantly improved.

By the way, is the lag in the video something from the game, something that happened to the recording, or something that Youtube mangled? I was watching the uncut version in case that matters.

I haven't heard that story before, but I would not be surprised at all by that happening. Part of the rioting was because of how lusty and suggestive the choreography was, which of course led to a few catcalls from some of the audience members.

As for the lag, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. The game runs at a crazy ~450 fps, which went way down once fraps was running, so it must have been a problem with the recording itself. The music doesn't lag also, does it? As long as that's intact I won't be too worried about the video itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

So I'm glad that everyone enjoyed the Symphony videos in spite of my very poor framerates, but I had a weird occurrence happen with the videos. I never made them public and just kept them unlisted in fear of getting a third party content match. Sure enough, both the long video and short video got matched. No action has been taken against my account yet, so I don't think it's that bad and should be manageable.

Where it gets weird is in how they were matched. The short one is claimed by "One or more music publishing rights collecting societies" which is something I can understand. The long one, however, is claimed by a band named...Goatpenis. Apparently, they sample the last part of Rite of Spring in one of their songs. (Don't worry, it's work safe. They're just a death metal band with a bizarre name.) How exactly do I go about disputing that one?

Man, here I was thinking I could do another symphonic piece for the game. Oh well.

• Locked thread