Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I have a couple ideas for contributing to this thread myself, namely Sine Mora, Jamestown and Parodius.

I also have a bunch of classic arcade shmups/bullet hells, but some of them are insanely hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

InterrupterJones posted:

Hell if we have enough people show interest, we could have a 4 player run of Jamestown. I've never done the multiplayer personally, but I've always been interested in trying it.

Huh, I thought Jamestown was only local multi?

Edit; Yeah its Local Co-op unfortunately. We'd have to do a multistream.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Geop posted:

Yeah Jamestown has been on my list for YEARS :staredog: I'm gonna totally bomb a let's try of that!

I have a good 15 hours in it yet I still cant beat the gauntlet. I keep loving up at either Roanoke or the train level and it sucks.

Its a fun game though. Totally recommend trying it, its very forgiving toward new shmup players.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I'm also wondering if Pocky & Rocky would be a viable thing for this thread. It plays almost exactly like a shmup but you walk around rather than go on rails.

FinalGamer posted:

Well I've already got Gokujou Parodius all recorded up, so you can totally take the first one and even Sexy Parodius because I have no emulator for that and also holy christ did I suck bad at the first Parodius and I just can't play it.
I sure hope you do better than I did!

I've been trying to find a working Sexy Parodius emulation method for months without success, it sucks. I was thinking of doing the SNES one Parodius- Nonsense Fantasy since its the easiest to record.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Reive posted:

Is it okay to record videos of games already played?
I want to do a Hellsinker episode since that game is kind of complex and I actually know how to play it.

There's a "Expert Play" category for a reason!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

iastudent posted:

I hope someone is planning to do some Raizing stuff, notably Battle Garegga and Armed Police Batrider.

I love the hell out of those games but even with playing on and off for several months now, I'm still terrible. :v:

I have a batch of old 90s shmups that I plan to try and do a huge stream of me just doing a "single quarter run" of each one as if I was trying them out in an arcade. Batrider and Garegga is among them, but odds are I'll probably suck poo poo at them

Also I tried to stream Batrider once upon a time I believe 2 years ago. My modem actually died since the visual stimuli put my upload well and beyond my DSL modem's capacity. :v:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Let's take things in a more modern direction.

Always be Vauntin'- Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony
Guest starring Killer Emcee

"The year is 1619. War rages between England and Spain, unrelenting and bloody."

Released in 2011, Jamestown is a modern shooter channeling the classic arcade shooter games from the 90s. Jamestown is a vertical scrolling shooter with a horizontal aspect ratio, which is a bit strange for the genre but it handles the presentation well both visually and gameplay wise. Most of the mechanics for Jamestown are the same as classic shooter games, however instead of a screen-clearing bomb you instead have the Vaunt System which absorbs all incoming bullets for a second and doubles your damage output for a certain amount of time. The game has five stages, a gauntlet which is basically 1CC mode, several challenge missions and other goodies, along with some DLC ships that have their own perks and downsides. The game also has up to 4 player co-op, however its local co-op only.

This run was recorded in front of a live audience as Killer Emcee and I show off most of the content in Jamestown. Its not a pro-play since I'm saving that for the 1cc Gauntlet run later, but you'll get a good view of all the game's content as I clumsily try to remember how to play.

Any interested parties can get this on Steam or On their website for a fair price if you haven't done so already.

Playlist:

Stage 1: War Upon the Eastern Frontier
-In which a settlement is ravaged by betentacled martians loyal to the Spanish, and a villain appears!

Stage 2: Journey Through the Dark Sector
-In which Raleigh is pursued by the vigilant Spanish border guard, and the Awful Truth stands revealed!

Stage 3: Prisoner of the Badlands
-In which a prison break is effected by attacking the prison and all its robotic guards in broad daylight, and Roanoke's last survivor shares a vital clue!

Stage 4: Secret Mines of New Madrid
-In which Raleigh races time to prevent a foul desecration of Mars itself, and the villain shows his hand!

Final Stage: The Lost Temple of Croatoa
-In which the most ancient sanctuary of a forgotten Martian culture is awakened and made very angry, and The Conquistador goes All In!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Oblivion4568238 posted:

To the next Generation... Let's look at GENETOS

Is a no-evolution challenge run possible? I think it'd be plenty hilarious to face the latter bosses with your rinky-dink pixel blob.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

slowbeef posted:

I'll update the OP this weekend, but I wish I'd mentioned my stream here. I played eXceed and Crimzon Clover tonight, but what was cool is that the community manager for Crimzon Clover actually dropped by and shot the poo poo with us.

I hope you were saving the stream to your hard drive. If not, you might have a chance to grab it if your Twitch recorded the session.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Star Parodier- 1cc run. Played by my buddy videogametalkinghead, watch us fly through the glory of the PC-engine's goofiness

Also, Check out my Jamestown playthrough with Killer Emcee

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

HGH posted:

I've finally started going through Astebreed after being reminded of it here and by god is it overwhelming. It might be because I'm paying too much attention to the plot but keeping a x16 multiplier while dodging and not accidentally hitting small enemies is tough. The Narrow shot is also pretty annoying to use and for some reason I have trouble pulling off the normal, non-targeted EX Attack.
On the plus side it looks great and runs buttery smooth on a laptop that can barely run Source so it's really well optimized. Chapter 5 was pretty great.
If you just want to do the cyclone EX, don't hold any direction or lock on and use your EX button. Its really finnicky, if you have any shots out or hold a direction, it instead becomes the dash EX.

Besides, you should be doing the Wild EX all day erryday :v:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So I did a review for Astebreed for a project, would it be cool to link it here as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Bearpigman posted:

Ether Vapor Remaster: Cool perspectives, not much else

I've been trying to get into this myself, but its a tad harsh. At about Stage 3 the difficulty ramps up heinously and its hard to keep your momentum going. I like the weapon shifting in concept, but the homing shot seems piss weak and its alt fire bomb feels so weak in comparison to just spamming homing shot.

You can tell that they used a bunch of ideas in Ether Vapor in Astebreed however, so they certainly polished their mechanics.

• Locked thread