Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Hey all, I had a thread a while ago about three ducks I adopted. The thread turned stupid so we won't speak of any of the drama at the end. The reason I'm posting this thread is to give a bit of an update. I was thinking about doing it during the first major issue, and again after the second issue. But now I need to share this because who knows, someone out there might want to see.

First of all, back in the winter something happened to Mabel and she lost part of the top of her bill. I understand that it is fairly common with ducks and the people caring for her got her some antibiotics and watched her closely to make sure she was eating and drinking. It was still pretty sad to see her like that though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pkcS8NmNgA

Not sure what's cuter...her little tongue or Geno trying to get the camera away from her.

Around the beginning of Spring Geno and Mabel moved out to the farm where I adopted them from so they could have more space and get outside (they spent the majority of the winter in a barn stall). Everything was going well and they were happy to be together and have some goats to play with.

Then about a month ago I got a phone call from Minnesota. Something got to Mabel in the night and she was gone. I was really sad about that because Mabel was such a sweetheart. Everyone that met her loved how gentle she was...even people who were skeptical about ducks as pets. So now Geno was alone, which is not so great for a duck.

My friends, thinking quickly, took the last of Mabel's eggs back to the other farm (where they spent the winter) and had Snowball the chicken sit on them. That farm has a flock of chickens, but Snowball couldn't be in the same pen as them because they would have pecked her to death. So she lived in the same coop, but separate. She is also a sweetie and loves to be picked up and sit on your shoulder like a parrot.

For 25 days Snowball sat on those eggs. And then Saturday morning:

And finally Geno with a wonderful look of "I'm a WHAT??"

The little one shares a birthday with one of the team members who work out there so for now they have named him/her "Stevie-Mabel-Snowflake-Chuck-Donald-McDicken".

So I will post some updates here as I get them if anyone cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I remember your thread. It's great to have an update -- despite Mabel's unfortunate end. I hope all is well with you.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Duckling! :kimchi: That is much too cute, good job Snowball.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Hey, thanks for bringing the thread back (kinda)! Sorry to hear about Mabel, but her legacy is such a cutie! :unsmith:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Aw man, I loved this thread the first time around. :3:
Sorry to hear about Mabel, but congrats on your new duckbabby.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm still in New York so that duck won't be mine :( I'm just really happy it worked out.

Apparently yesterday Snowflake (which is what I'm calling her) was picking through her food dish with her little webbed feet like her chicken mama.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
One of my team mates took these yesterday. Much better quality. I will be traveling back to Minnesota soon so I can hopefully post some video after that. :3:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Yay ducks. Sad to see your original 3 is down to 1 but the little duckling is cool.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I like to imagine that hen is soooooo confused.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I remember your thread and was sad it came to such a sudden end. Thanks so much for the update! Sad and happy rolled into one. Good luck with your future ducky endeavors! Snowflake is so cute!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Aww, glad you came back with an update. What happened at the end your last thread was dumb internet detective assholery and I hate people who do that.

Sad to hear about Mabel, but she lives on in babby duck. :unsmith: It's so adorable how chickens don't care what species a baby is, they just want to take care of it.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I require more pictures of the dickling.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I do, too. Waiting on some from MN.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Ask and ye shall receive. These were taken tonight:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Yaaaaay :neckbeard: Does he still try to scratch for food with his webbers?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
What is the emotion on that duck's face? Is it smugness? I think it's smugness. He knows he's fooling that chicken.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Look at that fuzzy duck. :3: She's almost as big as her chicken-mama!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I have a bit of an update. Here is a recent pic of Stevie. Apparently the pin feathers are coming in and it looks like it is going to be a "he". I don't have a picture of it but I guess Snowball the chicken still tries to put her wing up over Stevie's back, which is getting harder to do. I will have more pics and video next week to share :3:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Whoa. You said the pin feathers are growing in, but it's a little hard to see. Is that his baby down still or will those be his mature colors? Because that's a pretty handsome duck.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Pretty sure that's baby down. I have an adorable video to share when i get back from this trip along with a video of Geno in his new home. He looks so happy. He has chickens and roosters and 4 goats on the enclosure with him.

I got to see little Stevie again today and as i was holding her she started to quack pretty loudly so yeah, I'm thinking it's a she.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
As stated, I have a couple of videos to share. The first one is Stevie (if she turns out to be a she, her name will be Stevie Chicks) stretching her little wings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vts9oapqHI

This one is Geno in his new home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkqAy6L5QFI

And finally, Geno taking a bath in the goat's water. Apparently every time the goat water tank gets filled he decides its his bath time and he doesn't like the chickens to get too close:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5tY3k7nM8Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR