Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Hot -1 | Cold -1 | Volatile +1 | Dark +2
Harm 2/4 | XP 4/5 | Conditions: Dead Meat, Nutcase, Ostracized

Why did I have to wake him up--UNGH! This...this body is a pain! He wasn't supposed to have friends! I thought he was too much of an idiot to have allies! Gah!

"What's the matter, you...you little bread-wielding bitch?" I hear myself say through a smashed jaw. At least, I think that's what I'm trying to say...I think he chipped one of the teeth! Oh well, if I'm supposed to be dead meat anyway...it's not like he's going to kill me, stuff my intelligence back in this body, then kill me again, can he? "You don't...for all that talk in class you didn't want to fight me man to man? Not enough in your pants? Hah...no wonder your girlfriend is seeing other people..."

Well, I can't exactly harm him from this position, so I'm going to tap my Dead Meat condition to get a little better at Shutting Brayden Down.
[21:13:52] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6
[21:13:53] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 8 = 8
Looks like Bryn already has the coward part down. Maybe give him Bread-Wielding Bitch? And he can give Cass a condition too.

I can see the murderer Bryn also calling across the train car. Stay out of this, murderer!

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Hot +2 | Cold +2 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
XP: 0 | Adv: 1 | Harm: 0 | Conditions: Blamed | Location: Subway

I grow more alarmed seeing as that light over there spontaneously burst into sparks. That was no random electrical glitch. She’s still here. Lord have mercy on us, she’s still here.

Did I ever tell you about my first encounter with a ghost? It was 1926, and we were vacationing (read: hiding out) in this charming manor house in the English country side. Sister knew the owner from her previous life and had acquired exclusive permission for us to remain there over the winter. The only other occupants at the time were young rich socialite (also rumored to be a “lady friend” of then absent owner) and a few servants. They gave us free reign of the estate with the one condition; never enter the room with the red light.

There wasn’t much to this room, as I was later told. It was just some secondary bedroom at the far end of the hall. And it just so happened to have this awful red glow bleeding out from underneath the door at all hours. Odd, but I had other pursuits to occupy my attention at the time, like a certain debutante named Gwyneth (of which I quickly marked my claim before Sister). She was tough nut to crack, always running off just when I thought I had made progress in disarming her with my irresistible natural charm. We were at this cat and mouse game for weeks.

And then it all came to ahead when I was relaxing in the bathing tub, stark naked I remind you, and she appeared so boldly out the blue. I thought this was an interesting turn of events, that finally she was ready to see my true nature. Well it turned out, I instead discovered hers. For at that exact same moment, Sister, bored out of her mind, decided to peek inside the red room. The next thing I knew, the bathroom lights were blown out, the mirror shattered, and I was being strangled with the shower curtain by my beloved Gwyneth. That stupid bint was a ghost the whole time!

Lucky for me, vampires don’t breathe. But I tell you, I barely managed to escape with my second life there. We had to flee the manor and cut short our promising vacation. Later, I read a most gruesome article in the newspaper that reported four bodies (that accounts for all but one of the servants) were found dead in that house the following night.

And that my friend, is why I’m growing most concerned, trapped here in this cramped little subway car. There’s a fight brewing and now there’s an angry ghost. Blood or no, this is getting a little too heated for me. I’m a lover, not a fighter. Why can’t you people realize that? I desperately want a long and unending un-life. So I’m getting the heck out of here. I bolt for the door leading to the next car. And then as soon as we reach the next stop, I don’t care where, I am so getting off this train.

Run Away: 2d6-1 6

OOC: Nope!

iceyman fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 1, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hot -1 | Cold 1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 2
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5 +1 | Conditions: Blind to Facts, Blamed

A door light explodes next to me and I jump nearly two feet of the ground.

"Motherfuck!" I search around the car frantically, feeling a massive sense of unease lingering around me. It's like, something's looking at me, stalking me, in a way where I can't hide myself from. Even sexy, serious Matthius must feel it, as he makes his way for the door faster than you could say "failed your Will save". The hell is going on?

Things start to rattle nearby. I can almost feel the invisible hands shuffle through my dice bag, the junk next to my feet, the very atmosphere of the subway car itself. You know, you don't need an encounter table to see where the signs lead here.

It's a ghost, right?

"Bryn! Brynnnn!" I swing around and call her in the midst of the ratting and punching and shouting. "You know any turn undead spells in real life?" Yeah, we all know that ghosts have the bonus to turn resistance, but Bryn's my cleric and that's my most immediate option right now. Oh hell, I know I ran a haunted tomb encounter just a few months ago, I should know how to deal with this...

Gaze into the Abyss: 5+2 = 7. I want the visions to be clear but leave me Drained.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

XP: 1 | Adv: 1 | Harm: 0 | Conditions: Blamed | Location: Subway

Spending 1 string on Chi-Chi to bump that Run Away to a 7. Choosing to cause a big scene.

I keep thinking of mouthfuls of soapy bath water and being smothered in mildew stained curtains. On second thought, I don’t want to wait. I want off now. I spy the emergency stop and I don’t hesitate to hit it.

OOC: Hooray, I am back to exactly where I started at the start of this scene.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Hot 0 | Cold 1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5 | Adv 1 | Delusional / Darkest Self

There's a lot of panicked shouting and a lurch from the subway car and I don't really know what all's going on because everything's gone all blurry and - am I crying? Oh. Yeah. Yeah, I'm crying. Great. Way to hold up under fuckin adversity, Chi-Chi.

C'mon, don't laugh at me, okay? It's just...I've been dealing with a lot this year, and...

Arright, hell with it. Nobody can see me, I don't even fuckin exist anymore as far as they're concerned, so I might as well sit down and get it out of my system. Not like I can sort any of this poo poo out anymore. gently caress.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Bryn

"How the gently caress is it any of your business? gently caress off, nosy bitch!" If Brayden meant to continue, or to attack Cassius again, he doesn't get the chance. Because in very short order, he and anyone else who the misfortune to be standing up without the benefit of a hand hold is sent sprawling.

Everyone in the subway car:
An alarm begins blaring all at once, and with a loud hiss of air breaks the train comes to an alarmingly fast stop. The remaining lights overhead flicker ominously, perhaps more from poorly maintained wiring than from ghostly haunting.

Matthius
Well, you made a scene! How do you escape the train, and where do you go now?

Merrill

As you fall, your dice bag spills out onto the floor. As you recover from the jarring impact, you see that several D20s have landed on the floor in front of you, in such a way that your mind instantly leaps to the corresponding table results:

Merrill's Weird Homebrew Tables posted:

Encounter... single enemy... ghost... vulnerable to diplomacy

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5 | Conditions: Blind to Facts, Blamed, Drained

I'm feeling really tired right now. Mostly from remembering all these table facts to make sense of everything going on. And maybe because I just got tossed on the floor by a stopping train. What the gently caress, did the ghost do that?

Or maybe it's some jerk who hit the emergency stop. I see that all of the car doors are now open. And Matthius is nowhere in sight. Well.

Let's focus on the ghost, then. A real ghost, I have to add. drat, Matt, you sure know how to pick them. It sounds a little intimidating, but I think can deal with this one. I'm not gonna wimp out on a real monster encounter with Bryn looking behind me. At least the fistfight's stopped for a while. I can focus on what's important, the loving truth I can see with my own eyes.

Holding steady: TurninTrix, 8+1 = 9. Keeping my cool.

I scramble to grab my dice before they roll under the chairs or something. I hate it when that happens. I stand up, dust myself off, and wander towards where I last saw her. Diplomacy, huh? I don't know if I have the points for that, but...

"Hey, hey, you still here?" I call her out, though I'm not sure where to look. "Just tell me if you're around." Wait, no, that's not how to do this. "Can you knock on the walls or flicker the lights on morse code or something?"

Mitama fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 3, 2014

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Oh, now she wants to play nice. Now when I'm sobbing on the floor she wants to talk about this. People turn real polite once they've got a gun to their heads, don't they?

I'm not even moving, all this stuff's just dragging itself along the floor of the subway car, popping up into the air around us. Books, a chain, some dude's iPhone...knives? What the gently caress? Who carries this many knives around? Hell, not gonna question it, it'll give Merrill a few more reasons to think about what she's done with the few seconds she's got left.

...Okay, that's kinda dark. I mean, I'm not...all right, maybe just a few of the knives, she'll be fine--

Holding Steady - <Solomonic> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Solomonic, 6+1 = 7
Chi-Chi narrowly remembers the principles of basic human empathy in time.

Holy poo poo, what the hell am I doing. Okay, Merrill's an rear end in a top hat, but I'm about to throw a bunch of poo poo at her just because she stole the guy I was looking at? Really? This is what I am now? If it were Bryn I'd be cool with it but this is falling down a slippery fuckin slope, and I'm not a murderer. I'm not. For real.

Everything clatters back to the floor and I gotta get outta here before I lose it again and do something really lovely. Maybe just stay down in the tunnels for a few while I get my head back together. This kinda thing can't happen again.

Run Away - <Solomonic> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Solomonic, 10-1 = 9
  • Merrill (assuming no one qualifies as scarier) gets another string.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I hear a bunch of poo poo clatter on the ground as if they were about to hurled at something. Someone. They're all suspiciously pointed towards my direction.

"Not around anyone, I guess." I stare down at one of the knives. "Also, gently caress you." So, that's the kind of crazy ghost you are. Gonna get me for messing around with Mattius, huh? Well, I'm not gonna let this go. Just need to figure out how to chase something invisible.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 14, 2014

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Hot 1 | Cold 0 | Volatile 1 | Dark -1 | Blamed, Nosy Bitch(?)
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5 +1

I barely grab onto one of the poles that hold the handholds, wobbling ungracefully and just barely avoiding falling onto my face. I see the bullies look much less graceful than I did, which cleared the fight for the time being. I move over to Cass, offering him a hand up without thinking too much on everything that happened. Given the situation, as soon as he's back up, I'm going to deal with this -ghost- problem that Merrill has been shouting about. One thing at a time, and Merrill apparently has the situation enough under control to calmly be vulgar, which I believe is a good sign.

I keep my eyes on the bullies, however, knowing this may not be over.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Looks like I actually missed a couple people here! Sorry, fixing that now:

Cassius
Brayden staggers to his feet, growling. "You know," he says, "there's a reason nobody likes you." His friends are getting to their feet as well. They're not holding you down anymore, but they are still more or less surrounding you. The alarm from the emergency break is still blaring in the background. "You are just too stupid to know when to quit, aren't you?" he demands. Ignoring Bryn, he and his friends look ready to pounce again.

Brayden is still acting at an advantage, because of your "ostracized" condition. He gives you the condition "too stupid to live."

Tara
Aster looks a bit taken aback. She's probably head and shoulders taller than you are, and built like a tank. But there's something about your words, or possibly just your manner that gets to her. "... Like you'd be getting all offended if one of us were a guy," she mutters. "loving backwoods homophobe hick." She shoots one last look at Maria -- definitely still hurt and angry -- then starts to storm off, leaving Maria's car still shrilling loudly.

Maria also makes no move to shut the thing up, still clutching at that scarf around her neck and looking between you and the retreating Aster, eyes wide.

Take the "homophobe hick" condition.
Do you let her leave?

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

Hot 1 | Cold -1 | Volatile 1 | Dark 0 | Homophobe Hick
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

"What the gently caress does that have to do with anything," I ask, shrugging my shoulders and raising my arms in a questioning fashion. Of course the dumb bitch is halfway across the lot already. My one arm drops back to my side, the other I extend outwards towards the retreating schoolgirl, erecting my middle finger. Just as she didn't hear my question, she doesn't see this either. But at least it makes me feel better. I'm in no rush to deal with her again anytime soon.

But that goddamn alarm, the thing that started all this in the first place, is still going off. My eyes shift to Maria, and I'm forced to speak over the sound of her car. Not angry, mind, just loud, "you can turn that off, you know."

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

XP: 1 | Adv: 1 | Harm: 0 | Conditions: Blamed | Location: Subway  Helios

I pry open the door and drop down into the inky darkness of the subway tunnel below. All I can think of my poor shoes, I hope they don’t get too scuffed up, oh and that temperamental ghost I just narrowly escaped. I am glad to be gone of that whole mess. I really should have known better than to reach out like that. You’re bound to get bit (again and repeatedly) for your troubles one of these days.

Anyways, I do not plan to stand here in the pitch black of a subway tunnel for long. I take a moment to gather my wits and then I concentrate. My body is folding in on itself, compacting its form, and twisting into a new one. I am now a bat, carried aloft on leathery wings. God, I hate this. I must confess here to an unnerving fear of heights. It’s a terrible disability that has plagued me since childhood after falling from a tower window. And unfortunately becoming a vampire and discovering the power of transformation has done little to abate such fears. I try to keep my tiny eyes forward and furiously flap as if my life depended on it.

And soon I reach the next platform, Pickman Station, and find a nice shadowy walkway to set down. My body reverses the process, restoring me to my most handsome form and giving me two good solid feet on the ground. Oh the hair. Why does the hair never unfold correctly? I attempt to repair it to its rightfully impeccable shape using the camera on my handy cell phone. Technology has its wondrous uses, such as circumventing such pesky vampiric pitfalls of casting no reflection. Isn’t it grand?

Where to now? The Helios, of course. I could definitely use a drink after that ordeal. Now that the J-train is down, I’ll have to cut over a couple of blocks to Dyer Street and follow that the rest of the way. The convenience of public transportation would have been nice, but it’s not much further by foot to be honest.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Harm 2/4 | XP 0/5 | Conditions: Dead Meat, Nutcase, Ostracized, Too Stupid to Live

Taking Flesh of my Flesh for the advance! :getin:

Somehow my would-be restrainers are thrown about a bit in the crash, but this body isn't even touched. Well, no more than it already was. He's probably right. I've made nothing but error after error since the day started--running into the door after Chi-Chi's bloody mess, telling Merrill that I knew about her and Bryn, and now picking a fight with Brayden in a closed subway car. But what does it matter? They're only human. I'm not. Getting rid of this stupid fleshy thing and getting my old proper body back would be a blessing, not a curse. So maybe I don't care about "living" in the sense he's talking about. Maybe I just want to hurt someone.

"You know what, Brayden?" my strange and lilting voice says between heavy, ragged breathing. "You're absolutely right. About me, and about you!"

I punch--!

Tagging Too Stupid to Live to Lash Out again! Hey, if I'm lucky, the news will just be that he died in a subway accident!
[22:00:09] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+2
[22:00:10] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 5+2 = 7
Go ahead, hurt me some more, I don't care!

This will end this charade, one way or another!

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Cassius
Your fist connects with Brayden at shocking speed, hitting him under the chin with a sickening crunch. You feel the shock of it travel up your arm, and he all but flies off his feet. As he comes down, his head strikes the hard metal corner of a row of seats. Then he slumps to the floor... and doesn't get up again. For a moment, everyone just stares. Then, slowly, one of Brayden's friends gets down on one knee to see if he's alright.

"Brayden, dude, snap out of it," he says, anxiety catching in his voice. Tentatively, as if unsure of what he should be doing, he reaches out a hand to check the pulse at Brayden's neck. "He's... he's not breathing!" the boy says, jerking back all at once. He doesn't seem like a vicious thug anymore. He looks terrified. "You loving killed him!" he says to Cassius, real horror in his eyes.

Chi-Chi
So, you're out in the subway tunnel, all invisible and poo poo. Where do you go from here? Try to go check on your body?

Matthius
You see the imposing height of the Helios peaking out above the surrounding buildings for blocks before you reach it properly. The exterior is elegant, but strangely sinister to look at for too long. At night, the effect is worsened, but even now, the angles of the architecture are uncomfortable, the building's many windows staring out like black, sightless eyes at the street below. The doorman greets you formally, before letting you inside.

What is it like in here? Where do you go?

Tara
"Oh, right!" Maria releases her scarf momentarily, and begins to rummage in her purse with both hands to find the car keys, muttering to herself in annoyance all the while. As she does this, her scarf slips down a little... and you catch a glimpse of what looks like a giant spider bite on her neck, twin red puncture wounds spaced evenly apart, covered quickly again as she reaches up to readjust the garment. She presses the button on her car remote, and the blaring alarm is instantly silenced, leaving behind only a silent ringing in your ears. "Sorry," Maria says, sounding embarrassed.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Something like that. It's not so much about my body specifically, it's more like I just feel...at home, I guess, around the spot where I died. I guess that's why ghosts haunt the scene of the crime.

Other poo poo I've learned about ghosts today:
1) why they don't try to fit in with everybody else
2) why none of them have friends that aren't other ghosts or something
3) why all the ones in the old stories just killed the poo poo out of motherfuckers left and right. It's really fuckin hard to resist.

Still, I check on my body when I get back. Just kinda float in and all the lockers pop open. Yup, there it is, still definitely me, even though...well, I mean, look, it's been like two weeks. Another month and I won't even be able to recognize it anymore--fuuuuuuck I don't wanna think about that. I slam the locker shut and don't even bother with the rest of them before I zip off into the stairwell. It's pretty fuckin easy to find, just follow the giant trail of dry blood. Ugh.

Okay. I'm freaking out here. I almost tried to kill somebody for no reason. I can't go around people anymore, that's not gonna work. I gotta find the killer and get mine and then...I don't know. Just stay down here all the time or something.

(forever)

I DON'T REALLY WANNA THINK ABOUT THAT EITHER. Come on, focus. What do I do here, how do I get the killer alone?

Gaze Into The Abyss - <Solomonic> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Solomonic, 4+1 = 5

Uh oh.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Hot 1 | Cold 0 | Volatile 1 | Dark -1 | Blamed, Nosy Bitch
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

I pull back from Cass as I see him step up and throw a rather strong punch at the bully. Unfortunately for the bully, he appears to have struck one of the metal chairs and didn't look in very good shape. I narrow my eyes at Cass when I hear the others talk about Brayden being dead. Whatever Cass did, while it could be completely accidental, seems to match a pattern of weirdness. It would explain a lot about the day if he wasn't all that he seemed. Still, a lucky punch and attempting a bread duel isn't exactly signs of being an evil monstrous mastermind. I focus back on Brayden's limp body, looking at the others for a moment. "Try for a pulse. Either way, someone should call for help."

I reach for my phone, getting no reception while I'm down here. I start to curse in Danish, which is most likely going over people's heads. I turn back towards Merrill, who seems to be dealing with something else. "Merrill! Is your phone working down here?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Wow, holy poo poo, is he dead?" I turn around and look at the scene with fascination. "God, he's totally dead." Wow, I didn't know that scrawny fucker had it in him. That makes him a terrible person, though.

I check my phone for a signal. "Uh, I think I have a bar down here. Let me try to call 911." I mean, if someone pulls the emergency stop, there's bound to be someone else making the same call about now. But I'm not gonna say no to Bryn.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 14, 2014

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

"Oh no, no worries," I reply, shaking my head, "I was just sort of caught offguard, is all. Today's kind of been... not the best of days."

A real pro job of trying to remain optimistic, I inwardly tell myself with a dry-sounding tone.

"but I'm guessing you're kind of in the same boat," I follow up. I don't ask about the marks. At least not yet.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Harm 3/4 | XP 0/5 | Conditions: Dead Meat, Nutcase, Ostracized, Too Stupid to Live

This arm hurts, this head hurts, this entire body hurts! But...the point is made. Brayden won't trouble Ashley, or myself, or anyone ever again. Semi-consciously I find myself reaching down for his neck as one of his friends does the same. Suddenly all the menace and drive they had while they were holding me for the dead man dissipates. Is this what it's like to be feared? It feels...kind of nice, actually.

"I killed him?" I hear myself ask the one who addresses me, in a hissed whisper. "He threatened me in class today. If anything, he killed himself. Or the subway crash killed him." I clench this fist unconsciously. "Right...?

I wonder if I should manipulate an NPC to get Brayden's thugs to swear to say that Brayden died in the crash? Heck with it, here goes!
[23:14:58] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[23:14:59] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 10-1 = 9
Also, hey, Chi-Chi, do dead bodies count as "inanimate"?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

XP: 1 | Adv: 1 | Harm: 0 | Conditions: Blamed | Location: Helios

The Helios is more of a vampire community center than a proper hotel. You can still rent a room and all that jazz, if you’re fresh off the boat from the Old World, but the locals often visit it to indulge in certain activities and services they can’t so easily obtain elsewhere. But of course there’s a public façade to maintain in offering a full slew of mundane amenities should anyone not-in-the-know attempt to know more. There’s a dingy smoke filled parlor for billards, darts, and other tavern-esque sports of that nature. They have this game called air hockey which you must try. It’s marvelous. There’s also a full service gambler’s hall for those with money to burn (not me unfortunately). O’Shea’s gang is always accepting your generous donations to fun their less than lawful operational costs. And then there’s club Nightshade, a dreadfully dull experience through and through. The music is too loud, too nonsensical. No instrument to my knowledge can make such sounds and you can’t even hear yourself talking with that awful din.

Of course I’m not really here for any of that. I head straight to back rooms where the real action takes place. I came here for a drink and I’m most curious as to what is new on tap. You see, some humans are in the know when it comes to vampires and they recognize their own commoditized potential. We call them donors. And for a price, with O’Shea taking his less than modest cut, they’ll let you bite them. I take a helpful dob of hand sanitizer so conveniently provided, rubbing them together in furious anticipation, and take a gander around the room at today’s offerings.

OOC: Have some ideas for this scene if needed.

iceyman fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 8, 2014

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Cassius
They stare at you for a long, hard moment, clearly shocked. "Why?" the one who hadn't spoken before says. "Are you going to loving kill me too if I don't keep quiet? Jesus Christ, man, you just killed my friend!"

You're going to need to give them a pretty good reason why they should cover for you here.

Everyone in the Train Car
Isn't it usually policy for the railway staff to come around and check on the passengers? Wonder what's keeping them. Emily's dad used to work for the transit board, didn't he? I bet she'd know. Except, after all the commotion, she doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Chi-Chi
You're not just focusing on the problem -- you feel your mind reaching out, questing for answers. Maybe it's just because you're a ghost, or maybe it's because you're more of one than usual, but you feel yourself reaching out to tap into... something. Something dark, and vast, and distressingly nearby. Something ancient and horribly alien stirs from deep in the bowels of the subway station, and its mental touch sears into your head like a hot brand even as its words almost seem to chill you to your bones.

You get no answers from them -- they're in a language you can't comprehend, let alone understand. Save for two, repeated over and over, interlaced beneath all the rest.

The Caller. The Caller. The Caller. The Caller...

Something ancient and horrible takes a string on you.

Matthius
Among the usual suspects -- some people just can't get enough of offering themselves up as morsels for the undead -- you spy a familiar face you did not expect. Samuel. He's sitting off by himself, looking distintly nervous, and he hasn't noticed you yet.

Tara
"What? Oh, no, I was having a great day before what yo just saw," Maria said, her face taking on a strangely dreamy quality. She seems to space out completely for a minute or two, before seemingly being recalled to the situation. "Oh, sorry, were you saying something?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I get someone's attention on the other side. They say emergency services are on their way. Good, but something about this still feels way off. And who knows how it will take for real help to arrive. Worse comes to worst, we probably need to find a way out of here on our own.

And yet that scrawny kid keeps yammering, his voice to my ears like nails on chalkboard. I can't really ignore this anymore.

"You're loving mental, Wingate." I turn around to point a finger at him. "And just not that. You're tough. You're strong. You could kill someone easy. Remember what you said? And now you killed Brayden with your bare hands. You're the one trying to cover for your murder." My mouth twists into a snarl. To anyone else, it almost looks I have way more teeth than I humanly should.

"loving psycho, you killed Claire!"

Working to fulfill my promise. :)

Mitama fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 14, 2014

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Last year, about a month before I moved out here, I was at a party. Sort of my going-away party but not really, mostly just a thing with Vanessa and C-Dub and Big Nate and everybody. About halfway through Chanel's brother shows up with an eighth of Afghan kush and asks if I wanna hit that, and I'm like gently caress yeah I do so we blaze up and life is good for about five minutes until I find out that poo poo had angel dust in it the hard way, by which I mean I can hear my fuckin heartbeat going about three thousand times a second. I'm absolutely pouring sweat, which is weird because I feel so cold I'm shivering, everything's going at about half the speed I know it should be going, and the music's speeding up and slowing down just at random. I remember Vanessa coming up to me and asking why I was sucking down huge gulps of air and I went "THIS IS THE ONLY WAY I'VE EVER KNOWN HOW TO BREATHE" and scared the poo poo out of her. From what she said the next day, she stuck around and held my hand until I passed out cause I kept saying I was going to die if she left me.

I'm telling you this because that's more or less how I feel right now, except worse.

I dunno what the gently caress just happened, but suddenly I don't even feel safe in the tunnels anymore. There's something under the station. Under the town, maybe. I don't know. All I can figure out is I...reached out and touched it for a second, I guess, and it felt like I melted from the inside out. I don't even know how this situation can possibly get more hosed - is this just a ghost thing, or is it something bigger?

...I gotta ask Matthius. He knows. He said he could tell me all about this kinda thing, before...well, before I flipped out. poo poo. Probably spooked him. Okay, I have to go and say I'm sorry, then ask him about it. He's kind of an rear end but if he can help me, well, he can be as much of an rear end if he wants.

I can't talk either, though. God dammit, how can I ask for help if I can't communicate...

Ugh, I'll figure something out. I'm already zipping through the tunnels, back towards the subway car and, much more importantly, the surface. Once I get up there I'll see if I can come up with a way to find him.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Harm 3/4 | XP 0/5 | Conditions: Dead Meat, Nutcase, Ostracized, Too Stupid to Live

I don't need this right now! Human bodies are stupid anyways! All fleshy and limited and...agh! Brayden is better off this way! My neck turns towards the speaking boy and my eyes narrow. "This?" My voice says, a harsh, raspy whisper. I'm starting to feel like myself again--I'm pretty sure that's how I'm supposed to sound. "This was an accident. I wanted to teach him a lesson for Ashley's sake. Imagine what I could do to you when I attack you on purpose."

So, yeah, that's a blatant threat.

My body turns to face my accuser. I can see her teeth clearly as she speaks. My, doesn't she have a lot of them...

"You're almost right," I feel myself smirk. "No, I didn't kill Claire. I didn't know Claire. If she'd gotten in my way, maybe I would have killed her. Just like I killed Brayden." This head lolls to the side, perhaps a bit further than it should. "Just like I might kill you. You're only human, after all."

And I am much more than that. I clench my fist tighter to make that clear.

Gonna try to Shut Down Merrill here. Come on, high roll!
[22:48:51] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[22:48:52] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 8-1 = 7
Place the condition "Only Human" on Merrill.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5 | Conditions: Blind to Facts, Blamed, Drained, Only Human

Not where it counts, you conceited rear end in a top hat. And you're not human, either. You want this, Wingate? You want to tangle?

Roll for initiative.

"Are you all idiots?" I shout at Brayden's friends and whoever else left at the car. "Run to the loving front of the train and get help! He's a serial killer!" I need witnesses for everything he just said. And I need room to grow scales.

Cass can have Murderer, provided Brayden's guys will escape to tell about this condition.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
-whoops, misunderstanding the setup, edited out-

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 11, 2014

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5 (+1)

I hear the threat coming out of Cass' mouth, and my eyes narrow. My fists clench. All I see now is someone who has no idea who they are messing with, no matter what kind of monster he is. All I see is some -thing- talking about murdering people like it was just something that happened. Talking about Merrill like that. The whole thing was too much, someone had to put a stop to this before it got too far. No matter how hurt this boy looks, I need to set him straight. "You know -nothing-!"

In a moment that would make my uncle proud, I step up to the boy, pulling my fist far back before throwing a punch that was all emotion, all anger towards the creepy boy's head.

Lash Out Physically, using Murderer for a +1.
[19:09] <thelazyblank> !r 2d6+2
[19:09] <Krysmbot> thelazyblank, 12+2 = 14
Gain 1 String on Cass for the 10+ pick.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

"I hope you don't mind my asking, but if things were going so well, what happened?" I ask, hastily appending a vague appraisal of my own day to make my question seem like less of an interrogation, "though at least if it was good up until now, you're still doing better than me. Today's kinda been crap right from the start."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Harm 4/4 | XP 0/5 | Conditions: Dead Meat, Nutcase, Ostracized, Too Stupid to Live, Murderer

Is this some grand cosmic joke?! With my perceptive abilities I couldn't see this coming?! And I had her pinned as a murderer already! That bit--

--ah--and there goes the bone--

--some grand cosmic joke. At least...this body...will trouble me no longer...let it rot. Me with it. I no longer care.

Welp! Cass is down! I'd like to go Darkest Self in a scene or two. I have an idea just how to do it, Gaz.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

So about halfway up, I have to pass back through the subway car. Which I hop into, just in time to see that.

Covering her tracks, I guess. Probably shouldn't be surprised.

I can't really focus. It feels like my head's splitting open after...whatever that was down there. Still, this whole thing is pretty unmistakable. That's some fuckin corpse delecti or whatever they call it, right there. If they could see me, they'd probably be after me next. Should've gigged Merrill when I had the chance.

...My head is killing me. Ugh. What was that?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Samuel’s presence here gives me pause and I freeze dead in my tracks. I don’t understand. Why is he here? I had shared a most personal moment with him. I had come back for looking for him with such high hopes. I was led to believe he had decided that this just wasn’t for him. But I see now that’s an obvious lie. Perhaps I wasn’t good enough for him? No, why would you suggest such a silly notion. That’s...that’s not possible. Excuse me. I don’t normally find myself in this sort of situation. There is a flood of conflicting emotions at the moment, betrayal, hurt, and desire, that I’m not entirely sure how to deal with all of them at once. You must give me a moment to regain my composure.

I clench and unclench my fist. I remove, clean, and adjust my glasses. I then steel myself and stride on over with some, if not all, of my usual bravado. “So this is where you are working these days?” I remark with a hint of dry disdain. “If your goal was to disappoint me, then you’ve more than succeeded.”

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Holy fucktits."

I would blink in surprise, except that dragons don't blink. At all. The surprise doesn't come from Cass though, the fucker deserves everything after what he just did and said. But...

"Didn't think you'd go that far, Bryn." I look at the corpse that now rests next to Brayden's. I leave the unspoken implication that I would have done it in her place. "gently caress... what now?"

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Cassius
Well, gently caress. You're dead! Are you staying that way? Stay dead, become your Darkest Self, or lose all strings on everyone.

What happens next?

Matthius
Samuel practically jumps out of his skin. Seeing you, he seems to panic a litte before seeing you. "I... needed the money," he says. "The donut shop... doesn't pay enough."

Over his shoulder, you catch sight of none other than Oh'Shae himself -- the hotel owner had apparently been about to disappear into a back office, but when he catched sight of you, he freezes for a moment and his gaze narrows slightly. What does he look like?

Tara
"Oh, that's too bad," Maria says. It seems like she's being more polite than genuinely interested. She's eager enough to tell you all about her problems, though. "Someone told her that they saw me go off with Matthius at lunch," she said. "And she's like, waaaay overreacting."

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5 (+1)

I stop, staring awkwardly at the dead body that was Cass. I really would prefer not walking away from this, but this wasn't a situation one explains to the cops. His body looks human, despite his numerous words to the contrary. I can't stand here and explain what's going on to anyone. I look over towards Merrill, then quickly towards Emily. "I think we need to leave. Hopefully, before the police come here and see all this. I don't even want to deal with trying to explain what just happened. If they ask, we need to find a better answer than the supernatural."

With that, and the doors being relatively easy to open, I make my way out into the tunnel, distracted by the events from before.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"He's not human!" I say, taking in everything so far. "I read about this, you know. Wasn't sure before, but the way he was talking, he probably had some sorta extraplannar entity in his head?" That asks the question, is it fiendish possession? A Quori outsider? A magic jar? I need more research.

"Look, he killed Brayden." I continue, following her and Emily out of here. "He said he woulda killed Claire and the rest of us if he wanted to. Far as anyone has to know, he got what he deserved."

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Well this is what I do know about O’Shea, all of it second hand. Brother did have the common courtesy to fill me in on some of the man’s lengthy past. I was told he that he’s roughly a century and three quarters old, older than me anyhow, so I was expressly bid to defer to him out of respect. Before he was turned, he was quite active in the city of New York’s divided and faction laden political scene. He was something of a rising power in Tammany Hall, riding a wave of Irish immigration at that time right past his bickering rivals. In order to outlive his opponents and cement his rule for possibly centuries to come, he sought out a means to eternal life. When his enemies had discovered what he had become, they unexpectedly banded together to cut off the head of this snake. It is said William M. Tweed himself had put two silver bullets into the man’s chest, bound the body in chains inside a steel box, and sent him to the bottom of a remote upstate lake. They did not know how to properly kill a vampire at the time, but they surely tried their best.

O’Shea obviously recovered from that first stumble somehow and later fled to Arkham. He swiftly and uncannily rebuilt a burgeoning sphere of influence in this new city with no resources, contacts, or other means to his name. Who knows what sort of terrible bargains he struck to grasp at power once again. However, his old rivals in New York did not intend to let him stand. When they came for him again, O’Shea was strong enough to expel them from Arkham, thus demarcating his new kingdom. And he’s been here ever since, tending to his political machinery, acquiring wealth, and looking out for his own kind. Brother, perhaps wisely, holds that O’Shea has ulterior motives beyond simple greed and vanity. But repeats, often, it is none of our business.

O’Shea himself is a heavier set man of naturally pale complexion who by human standards appears to be in his late 40’s or early 50s. He’s even slower than me to update his sense of fashion and is bedecked in pin-stripe pants and matching vest. His white collared shirt is rolled up and tied off at the elbows, and he always wears one of those old fashioned driving caps, that kind that’s now back in vogue it seems (I do quite fancy them). He’s the spitting image of Dick Tracy villain minus any obvious gimmick. What? I’ve read a comic or two in my years.

But why are you so interested in O’Shea? It is Samuel and his plight that should command our attention here. Money can cause people to do the strangest of things, like in this instance, turn away from your treasured friend. Are my generous attentions not worth something to him? I refuse to believe so. I’m also willing to forgive such a transgression depending on his answer here. “My dear Samuel, we all have our needs.” I clasp his hand like I did that night, tenderly massaging his palm, and I stare in his eyes with a glint of deep longing hunger. “Don’t you want to see to mine? Don’t you want to be needed?”

Turn Them On: 2d6+2 6 Oh boy!

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

It only takes a few seconds to find out two things. One, Matthius isn't in the car anymore because of fuckin course he isn't, nothing is easy. This sucks because hell if I know where to find him normally. Two, holy poo poo Brayden Riley's over here and he's dead too, somebody snapped his neck or something. So at first I'm like 'gently caress me, Bryn's wiping out everybody' and then as they're leaving, I hear Merrill say the craziest thing yet. Cass killed Brayden?

What the hell?

I sit down for a minute to think. Okay. So, assuming I believe Merrill (which, I mean, why wouldn't I, there was nobody here to lie to, as far as she knew), Cass knocks off Brayden because...I dunno. Reasons. He does it, is the point. So then Bryn...gets revenge, I guess? Tries to stop him? The point is, Cass shot first. It wasn't what I thought it was.

Neither of them are ghosts now. Obviously it takes more to become a ghost than just being murdered in the subway, which means there was something going on when it happened to me that wasn't going on with either of them here--holy poo poo what if that means Bryn didn't kill me. Because if it was something she's been doing, it would've happened to Cass, right? And it didn't. If...maybe I've been chasing the wrong person this whole time...

I feel completely lost, and that's on top of my skin being all woobly and my stomach churning like I'm gonna throw up. What do I do now?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Hmm...I think I'm going to go Darkest Self. What time do you want me to come back in? End of everyone else's scene or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5

I nod quietly, but I would prefer not talking about the situation. What Merrill said is true, but what if he was just a stupid kid trying to feel better about himself? I'd prefer to get the answers from a book, or perhaps from someone else who knew. "It doesn't matter right now. Let's get someplace where we can look up was he was, and what those other creatures are. I'd like to think what I did was the right thing, but given how easy he fell, something doesn't feel quite right."

With Emily gone, however, this looks like it may be even more trouble coming up. I would say suspicious, but I don't have time to do much but worry about her safety. The sooner I start, the sooner I could make this trouble go away.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 14, 2014

• Locked thread