Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
So I recently moved to a new neighborhood and there is this pond nearby that I like to go to once or twice a week to drink a beer and feed the ducks/geese/duck and just relax and clear my mind.

As gay as it sounds it's actually quite nice, and I've met quite a few interesting people from it.

One of them is this man who looks surprisingly similar to Kenny Hotz and is interning (for free) for a television channel so therefore can't afford an apartment and is basically sleeping on the streets or bouncing around from friends to friends couches or at shelters.

We ran across each other again the other day, and then a few moments later I ran across a few friends of mine and we all decided to play cards at the opposite end of the park.

After we ran out of beer I gave him what I thought was 5 euros to go pick up some more booze 'cause I didn't feel like walking to the store.

He comes back with more booze and says that he has some change for me, but I tell him to keep it because I'm just assuming it's like 50 cents or something.

Later I get home and realize that I'm short 50 euros of the 100 I had pulled out earlier (I also had some small bills and such in my wallet) and that I had mistaken the 5 euro note for a 50 euro note 'cause they're the same loving color. So in summary, I gave him 50 euros, he offered me the change for a few beers, I refused 'cause I mistook the note, and now I'm morally conflicted.

On the one hand, he needs that money more than I do. On the other hand, that's like 45 euros that I'm out of. Should I just shrug it off? Should I go find him and maybe just split the difference?

I need a solution!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Idk man is 45 euro a lot for you or can you actually shrug it off. If it's no big deal then I'd say forget about it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Personally I find it is much easier to deal with problems with the homeless if you don't think of them as people.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Let him keep it. Accidental good deeds are nice.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
kill him or alternatively ask him if he will cuck you while you are in the other room

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lol at worrying about less than 100 dollars.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also, here's a plan: hows about you, a person with a home go ask a person who does not have a home for some money and see if that doesn't make you a huge piece of poo poo.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

he already offered to give it back man. don't be adick.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a hole-y ghost posted:

he already offered to give it back man. don't be adick.

yeah sorry I know it sucks to be out $45 but just let it go imo

working for free is bullshit

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

get over yourself and gently caress him already

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

OP if you ask him for it back i'll be mortified and awkward feeling thousands of miles away

Dubsy
Jul 17, 2014

The Human Crouton posted:

e: he may already think you're being p. nice so might as well leave it op

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

alternatively ask this guy for advice http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651044

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

yah no I'd never ask for the money back, it was a stupid mistake on my part and 45 bucks is nothing really, but I just thought it might be an interesting question

[edit] plus the dude is legit cool, I might feel a tinge if it were some 19 year old dragrat on graudalupe or something

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Copley Depot posted:

get over yourself and gently caress him already

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Jesus Christ posted:

yah no I'd never ask for the money back, it was a stupid mistake on my part and 45 bucks is nothing really, but I just thought it might be an interesting question
no you were asking if you should "split the difference" in the op... don't play coy with us :sweatdrop:

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

a hole-y ghost posted:

no you were asking if you should "split the difference" in the op... don't play coy with us :sweatdrop:

I've dug myself into a hole so I'll dig myself deeper.

I meant splitting the difference in more of the sense to not demoralize or lessen his own self worth in the sense that I am giving him charity because I pity him (which I don't but you know what I mean).

Perhaps having him buy the next couple of beers is the solution.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Next time you see him if it comes up go, "Oh man, I meant to give you 5 and gave you 50, so funny right?" and be a huge passive-aggressive shithead about it.

There's a slim chance he'll give you the money back.

More likely he'll either feel guilty and awkward and stop talking to you or he'll stop talking to you because you're a passive-aggressive shithead.

Problem solved and it won't happen again.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

sorry for your colour blindness, op. and please don't act like a bitch.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

45 euros is about homeless-dicksucking price so y'know

there's that option

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
At least you'll probably never get robbed in that park if he lives there. Consider it protection insurance.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

don't ask for the money back, but crack him in the back of a head with a rock and roll him into the pond for the ducks to eat

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Jesus Christ posted:

I had mistaken the 5 euro note for a 50 euro note 'cause they're the same loving color.

Does not compute:

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
$45 is almost 5 parachute accounts man

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

suck his cock, human being

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
You did a good thing, unknowingly or not. Feel good about this.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Personally, I recommend you budget yourself 50 euros every month for 'accidentally' giving to homeless people. After you've gained the trust of the entire homeless population, organize them into a rioting group to overthrow the local government and turn your city into a homeless paradise.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

OP is a goosefucker.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Decrepus posted:

OP is a goosefucker.

Now he has the in with the guy who can tell him where all the hot geese are.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What the gently caress are you doing getting the homeless to run errands for you?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

brylcreem posted:

What the gently caress are you doing getting the homeless to run errands for you?

A public service? What's your loving problem?

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

brylcreem posted:

Do you even comprehend how many Kinder Surprise eggs 45 euros can get you OP? It's this many.

Get your money back.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

what would you do if you asked the homeless man for the 45 euros and he told you no?

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
he's expecting you to demand sex at some point in the future so look forward to tons of awkward conversations until you finally get it over with

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hobohemian posted:

A public service? What's your loving problem?

OP is literallyfiguratively a feudal lord.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

You did a good thing, but you didn't realize it. So you can just beat the living poo poo out of him because that good thing is worthless.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Jesus Christ posted:

On the other hand, that's like 45 euros that I'm out of. Should I just shrug it off? Should I go find him and maybe just split the difference?

I need a solution!

Here's your solution: Don't be a dipshit.

In his mind you found a way to help him out without making it seem like charity.
In your mind you think asking a homeless man for money is an acceptable thing to do.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
you should march up to that hobo and demand the money back op as you're supporting exploitative labour practices by funding his tv internship. hopefully he'll wise up and get a job that actually pays money rather than dreams of getting on the telly that will never loving happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

stratdax posted:

Here's your solution: Don't be a dipshit.

In his mind you found a way to help him out without making it seem like charity.
In your mind you think asking a homeless man for money is an acceptable thing to do.

this is the best post and i am awful for even thinking of posting this thread but your first sentence is the truest and best

• Locked thread