Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cookiefiend
Jul 29, 2014

Hnnnggg
About a year back, one of my miniature dachshunds developed a back problem as it goes, where the $4,000 50/50 chance surgery wasn't an option and the non-surgery therapy did no good. We've since bought him a wheelchair and a drag bag to try and accommodate his injuries, since he's still a happy guy.

The problems we're still running into is with dealing with his incontinence and his place in the home in that regard. We've gone through so many kinds of store bought and custom diapers and jumpers to try and contain his messes but nothing has worked. The drag bag helps a little but when we put the drag bag on him he refuses to move. The longest he's refused to move is 4 days with one on, aside from chasing a ball which he only does because he's a loving crack fiend about it, and even then he's hesitant to move.

When all is said and done, we're left with him pooping and peeing on the carpet and in some way and it's ruining portions of the house. I'm not sure what to do with him anymore. It's not sanitary for him or the house/kids/other animals. Does anyone have experience working with paralyzed male dachshunds and keeping these things in check? All the stuff I've gone through online says "This works for us!" and "Do this!" and nothing has worked for us so far in terms of keeping things contained and manageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You're doing all the things I would've suggested, sorry. :(

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
No advice to give but I just wanted to let you know I sympathize with you. My parents own a mini dachshund that also has terrible back problems, but she's remained mobile thus far. It took a lot of money and a lot of steroids and she's on muscle relaxers now. Every so often she'll have an episode where she has aggravated her back so bad that she'll go into a seizure and be fully paralyzed but it only lasts for a few moments.

I hope you figure out a way to help your little guy. :(

• Locked thread