Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
In Edinburgh, we put malt vinegar and brown sauce on our chips. Though you can find brown sauce all over the UK but people tend to eat it with bacon sandwiches or fried breakfast food instead. It's a weird, tangy, sweet and sour sauce made with tomato, tamarind and dates. I've not seen it anywhere outside the UK.

And of course we eat haggis too. In some Tex-Mex restaurants here you can get haggis burrito or haggis tacos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Stottie Kyek posted:

brown sauce

Though you can find brown sauce all over the UK but people tend to eat it with bacon sandwiches or fried breakfast food instead. It's a weird, tangy, sweet and sour sauce made with tomato, tamarind and dates. I've not seen it anywhere outside the UK.

Netherlands here...
I only know HP sauce, used to be on the table in the Irish pub, but I never tasted it.
Nowadays I can buy it in the supermarket (not too surprising, as wikipedia just told me that it's produced in the Netherlands by the Heinz company) and after your explanation of what it actually IS, I'm sure I will give it a try!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

paraquat posted:

Netherlands here...
I only know HP sauce, used to be on the table in the Irish pub, but I never tasted it.
Nowadays I can buy it in the supermarket (not too surprising, as wikipedia just told me that it's produced in the Netherlands by the Heinz company) and after your explanation of what it actually IS, I'm sure I will give it a try!

HP Sauce-loving American here. I definitely prefer it to American Heinz 57 and A-1 sauces.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Fooley posted:

That reminds me. I've been visiting friends in Massachusetts a lot and apparently this is a local thing (we've never gotten it):

I know its more on the "why" side of odd, but it blows my mind someone decided to slop chow mein on a hamburger bun. Spaghetti sandwiches don't make sense to me either.

Spaghetti sandwiches are great! Make a really thick meaty sauce, and slap it on some garlic buns. I call it a Sloppy Giuseppe! Spaghetti is optional, although I usually leave it out, unless these sandwiches are being made from leftovers.

This chow main burger, on the other hand, looks like a disaster.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

paraquat posted:

Netherlands here...

HP is lovely on cold meat - it's almost required for Christmas leftovers. (It's also good with Leberkäse on bread, though that might just be me.)

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Alligator is loving amazing but I live in Massachusetts and get few opportunities to eat it. I'm not sure how weird goat is, but a couple years ago on Easter I had an Italian boss who brought some stewed goat in and it was delicious.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

whiteyfats posted:

Sup, rural Florida bro. Have you tried rattlesnake?

Oh man I want to. It looks like the easiest thing to skin, gut, and cook too.

I unfortunately don't live rural, I just WWOOF out there when I can. I wish I could get a more permanent situation out there though, I love those cracker-rear end places. I gotta find someone who needs goat help.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh man I want to. It looks like the easiest thing to skin, gut, and cook too.

I unfortunately don't live rural, I just WWOOF out there when I can. I wish I could get a more permanent situation out there though, I love those cracker-rear end places. I gotta find someone who needs goat help.

I've never cleaned one, but I've seen it done, and it didn't look very difficult.

I'm in Bradford country, and it doesn't get much more rural than that in Florida.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

whiteyfats posted:

I've never cleaned one, but I've seen it done, and it didn't look very difficult.

I'm in Bradford country, and it doesn't get much more rural than that in Florida.

Holy poo poo, there's internet in Starke? Who's bright idea was that?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I'm Norwegian, so apparently I'm barred from posting? >:C

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Lobster tomalley, which is a green paste inside a lobster that acts as the liver and pancreas.

On that note, kanimiso sushi, a gray, diarrhea-looking paste, served with a cucumber in gunkan-roll style. The reality of it what it is isn't much of an improvement, the mashed up paste of all the internal organs of the crab.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

BlueGrot posted:

I'm Norwegian, so apparently I'm barred from posting? >:C

It's just that you probably eat weirder breakfasts then any of our adventure eating put together.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Pickled herring on rye bread.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

BlueGrot posted:

Pickled herring on rye bread.

I'm not even Scandinavian and that sounds delicious.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

A famously odd yet popular dish here in Bavaria is Saures Lüngerl, literally sour lungs. It's finely shredded veal lungs stewed with bay leaf and vinegar. It's served with Semmelknödel, bread dumplings with parsley, and it's actually really good! The consistency is between finely chopped liver and silken tofu, and the taste is mild and vinegary.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Unfortunately lungs are outlawed here in the US.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Unfortunately lungs are outlawed here in the US.

Is that a real thing? I mean, if we can eat the rest of the little beasty it's weird we couldn't eat the lungs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yup.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/04/haggis-banned-in-the-u-s-a/

The USDA banned lung meat for human consumption in 1971. They reviewed it again in 2011, but the ban was upheld. Scottish haggis makers refused to adulterate the proud tradition of stuffing leftover sheep poo poo inside a sheep stomach, :scotland: and so haggis has still not been allowed for import in the US.

It's been the USDA's position since 1971 that 1) there is too much bacteria in lung and 2) butchering always gets some stomach contents into the lungs, therefore it's adulterated blahblah

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 19, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I bought a canned haggis once from a British food "shoppe." It was absolutely delicious, but I guess it didn't include any lungs?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The local catchall international market here has canned haggis and right next to it, from the same company, some abomination they claim is "vegetarian haggis." I wouldn't count on anything canned and haggisy from anywhere making sense in the US, to be honest.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suspect Bucket posted:

Holy poo poo, there's internet in Starke? Who's bright idea was that?

Not even Starke! I'm in Hampton, which was recently called the most corrupt city in the state.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stinky tofu; it's just tofu fermented in brine although like everything in China there are horror stories of adulterated ingredients and wildly unsafe production practices. I've heard of stinky tofu being prepared with raw sewage although I don't know if it was true. I would post a picture but it's not much to look at, just deep-fried tofu with a slightly darker color than normal. It smells awful, of course, but no worse than a particularly offensive cheese -- if you dropped a pound or so of that cheese into a bigass deep frier in an unrefrigerated food cart.

I was outside a bar in Changsha late at night when I asked some people what they were eating. To my surprise they offered me a bite and I, not entirely naive, took them up on it, and in so doing tried stinky tofu for the first time. It's not bad; it reminded me very strongly of the creaminess and bacterial tang of blue cheese. At least the Changsha variant did. Chinese food varies a lot even within a few hundred miles.

So I would say go ahead and try it, especially outside of China where you're less likely to be eating something started with e.coli.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 19, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

whiteyfats posted:

Not even Starke! I'm in Hampton, which was recently called the most corrupt city in the state.

And ya'll never butchered yer own snake? Hell, thought you could roll on up to the cop shop and take yer pick. Just gotta do it slow like so they don't see ya. Theys like a teeranosaurus on oxy.

Also, at least you're not Waldo. gently caress that place.

And uh, to keep on topic, I bought some canned sprats, hunter sausage, and a pound of bonito flakes today. I have a loyal cat army now, and can make a hell of a winter hotpot.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 20, 2014

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cops in Waldo have complained publicly about being told to write a certain number of tickets. State is investigating.

Content: I have some squirrels in the freezer I'm going to make stew out of one of these days.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

whiteyfats posted:

Cops in Waldo have complained publicly about being told to write a certain number of tickets. State is investigating.

Content: I have some squirrels in the freezer I'm going to make stew out of one of these days.

The best squirrel recepie I ever found was for Carribean Jerk squirrel. I used fresh jerk season and minced garlic instead of garlic salt, it made it fantastic.

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir51.html

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Arglebargle III posted:

I've heard of stinky tofu being prepared with raw sewage although I don't know if it was true.

Pretty sure this was/is actually true. It was on the real news as happening in Guangzhou about 2 years back.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The first time I ever had stinky tofu it was at a pai dan place in Shanghai which, as it appears, serves the most pungent stinky tofu in all of Shanghai and surrounding provinces. God drat, son. At least there was beer. Next time in Hangzhou it was more conventional, though I won't say it was bad per se the first time around, just incredibly, tear-inducingly pungent.

Punzilupo
Jul 2, 2004

whiteyfats posted:

Sup, rural Florida bro. Have you tried rattlesnake?

I have had rattlesnake, it is very bland. Not really worth seeking out as a culinary experience...

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Punzilupo posted:

I have had rattlesnake, it is very bland. Not really worth seeking out as a culinary experience...

That's really disappointing. I was hoping to try it this year.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Punzilupo posted:

That's because it's snake. It has very little fat. Just throwing it on the barbeque wont do much for the flavor, it needs marinade and sauce. It's also originally not something you sought out as a culinary experience, it's much more "The family wants meat and all i have are these three rattlers i kilt in the garden".

http://www.rattlesnakerecipe.us/recipes.htm (is the bible true? click here and find out!)

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsnake.html

Oh yeah, I had frogs legs again last weekend! They were delicious. Fall off the bone tender, extremely mild flavor, perfectly cooked. From the fish fry place up the block from me. Great with cocktail sauce and lemon.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 21, 2014

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

El Marrow posted:

Goat Brain

Even though I know they're perfectly safe all I can think when I see brains as food is "prions :ohdear:"

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Alligator is loving amazing but I live in Massachusetts and get few opportunities to eat it. I'm not sure how weird goat is, but a couple years ago on Easter I had an Italian boss who brought some stewed goat in and it was delicious.

Really depends where in the US you are. I've lived places where it was pretty unheard of, but in Austin we had tons of places that served cabrito (young goat), including one or two where that was their prime dish up on the sign. And in DC not too uncommon because the dozens of Jamaican places all serve jerk goat, which is awesome. I find goat actually less gamy than lamb, and it is gorgeous when barbecued and tender and falling apart.

For my slightly weird dish:

Codfish tongues, a delicacy in Newfoundland. Apparently it's one of those foods you press guests/tourists into eating to watch them squirm, but I tried it and it wasn't bad at all. I'm honestly not huge into fish (ate more in Newfoundland than ever before), but the tongues tasted pretty similar to regular cod fish and chips, except the texture was slightly gelatinous, kind of like either short ribs or oxtail.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Cutting those out is a traditional summer job for teens in fishing villages on the Norwegian coast - I can only assume that someone also eats them here. (Or maybe we export all of them to the Newfies.)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Deep fried cod tongues are delicious. They're like fish sweetbreads. Have to be freeeeeeeeesh to be worth it, though.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Punzilupo posted:

I've had rattlesnake before too back at a camping trip. One of the workers took a shovel and just cleanly beheaded a live rattlesnake and it was on the grill within the next hour with a light brushing of barbecue seasoning. It had the consistency of chicken and just tasted like the seasoning.

Republicans posted:

Even though I know they're perfectly safe all I can think when I see brains as food is "prions :ohdear:"

Even though I love all other kinds of offal and will eat and enjoy a whole slew of weird things, I can never get over eating brains. It's not even the prions thing, I just feel horrible about the thought of eating it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rollmops.

Pickled herring fillet, wrapped around a savoury filling, usually onions or gherkin, although it's really good with olives.

Usually served either cold where it's eaten whole, or in a sandwich.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Cutting those out is a traditional summer job for teens in fishing villages on the Norwegian coast - I can only assume that someone also eats them here. (Or maybe we export all of them to the Newfies.)

That's so absolutely detached from my world. Here I was working at a car wash for a summer job at that age.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

El Marrow posted:

That's so absolutely detached from my world. Here I was working at a car wash for a summer job at that age.

Oh, I know - I'm from the opposite side of the country (and a city). It appears to be good money, though: a random article I found has a 14 year old who earned $2k in 12 days, and that's not exceptional.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Oh, I know - I'm from the opposite side of the country (and a city). It appears to be good money, though: a random article I found has a 14 year old who earned $2k in 12 days, and that's not exceptional.

That's absolutely incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Rollmops.

Pickled herring fillet, wrapped around a savoury filling, usually onions or gherkin, although it's really good with olives.

Usually served either cold where it's eaten whole, or in a sandwich.

these are 100% designed for white wine.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm love me some pickled fish and white wine.

• Locked thread