Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I am saying that although a technical masterpiece with amazing special effects, direction and score that still holds up today, Terminator 2 is a bad example of a good movie due to shoe-horned in kid jokes, the effects of which are not only seen in further Terminator sequels but in big budget action and sci fi films since. I believe they took a terrifying character and performance and turned it into a walking cutesy joke machine.

Dude you are super seriously so wrong my head is about to pop off. I think you just liked some weird element of the first one way too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
On the topic of the franchise as a whole, something that I loved about TSCC is that they jump forward in the future a pretty short period of time, like four years or something - just enough to jump over the events of T3 because that movie was loving retarded.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I am saying that although a technical masterpiece with amazing special effects, direction and score that still holds up today, Terminator 2 is a bad example of a good movie due to shoe-horned in kid jokes, the effects of which are not only seen in further Terminator sequels but in big budget action and sci fi films since. I believe they took a terrifying character and performance and turned it into a walking cutesy joke machine.

I thought the shoehorned mother-son tension was far more annoying. I know the movie was marketed to kids but really, preying on parents and their paternal love? That is hosed up.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Saw it in theaters at the Alamo Drafthouse a couple months back. poo poo was so loving good.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
its like you people dont even... i dunno.........

just

no

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I had a pretty hardcore crush on T2 Linda Hamilton. She was so loving hot in that movie:

Wait, sorry. Too hot.

Better.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
She looked bangin' hot with that black ballcap and the .45 auto

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Did you know Vasquez is in T2?

If not why not?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Comradephate posted:

On the topic of the franchise as a whole, something that I loved about TSCC is that they jump forward in the future a pretty short period of time, like four years or something - just enough to jump over the events of T3 because that movie was loving retarded.

The best part about the tv show was the reveal at the end that John Connor doesn't actually exist.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLWrmlIWb_w

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I had a pretty hardcore crush on T2 Linda Hamilton. She was so loving hot in that movie:

Wait, sorry. Too hot.

Better.

I set my watch to her jawline

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I've got your number!

I've got all your numbers!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
T2 is an excellent film, but James Cameron will never eclipse Aliens which stands out as one of the most well-crafted and influential genre films of all time. There's just so much in modern games, film, and other media that's directly informed by it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
they still wont let me have this as an avatar

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/NoBullet/TF2/t2.gif

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

naem posted:

Is no one going to ask me about meeting the actor, I'm so lonely
Did you mention it in a thread about celebs a few years back? Someone said they met him and he got pissed because they could not remember his characters name...

I rewatched T2 a few months back. And aside from all the cool stuff that I loved as a kid. I really have an appreciation of the cinematography. Love it or hate it, that film had a real tone to it. All silver and blues and reflections and crisp lines. I can't remember another film shot at night that had such an identity. Every element of that film felt planned and unique. It really stands up. That shot of the t-1000's sunglasses with the flames reflected in them makes me rock hard every time.

comes along bort posted:

The best part about the tv show was the reveal at the end that John Connor doesn't actually exist.
That and the slow motion shot where he realises he can finally gently caress the banging hot sex death machine.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 30, 2014

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics

some of us haven't seen that movie, which holds up apparently

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Christan Bale was such a terrible choice for John Connor. Could you really picture Goddamn Edward Furlong's character growing up into that?

If I was casting a new John Connor I'd probably pick someone more like Norman Reedus. Someone that looks like he beat the Terminators by being drat near feral, and who grew up hacking ATMs in foster homes. Which, again, Bale sure as gently caress does not.

Breetai posted:

T2 is an excellent film, but James Cameron will never eclipse Aliens which stands out as one of the most well-crafted and influential genre films of all time. There's just so much in modern games, film, and other media that's directly informed by it.

The funny thing is if someone missed seeing Aliens but watches it now, they see so many things that come off as "genre cliche." They don't realize Aliens invented those cliches.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
I'm pretty good at suspending disbelief so I don't really care

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

comes along bort posted:

That's not how I read the ending.

I was thinking, quite possibly, that "John Connor" was in fact not old John Connor, but rather, modern day John Connor that was thrown forwards at the start of the rebellion. It would have been a neat way to gently caress with the timeline.

Unfortunately right when that show was it's most critical moment and could have saved itself ratings wise, it went into this boring Goddamn arc about Sarah Connor before going back to being amazing. It's kind of funny because for the longest time I blamed the lead actress, but I think her character was the most poorly handled given she sure as hell has had the best post-show career.

It's a real shame too because that show really just found it's footing. It had a lovely start but got so drat good for a while, before a dip and then an exit firing on all cylinders.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Terminator 2 and Aliens are two of my favourite movies, ever (

This is why Avatar was fairly disappointing to me. C'mon Cameron, you can do better

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Blazing Ownager posted:

The funny thing is if someone missed seeing Aliens but watches it now, they see so many things that come off as "genre cliche." They don't realize Aliens invented those cliches.

This pans out. My ex saw it for the first time with me a year ago and basically said the same thing to me: that if she didn't realize just how old it is, she would have seen it is thoroughly unoriginal. I made a point of telling her before we started watching that this film is over a quarter of a century old, and that it has been aped innumerable times by other media since.

The film Aliens is over a quarter of a century old.

gently caress. :psypop:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

paranoid randroid posted:

dont remember there being any indication that arnie was the good guy until that scene in the mall with the shotgun in the box of roses
In the trailer it said something like "He's back ... for good!"

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Breetai posted:

The film Aliens is over a quarter of a century old.

gently caress. :psypop:

forrest gump is 20 years old this year

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

That's not how I read the ending.

I was thinking, quite possibly, that "John Connor" was in fact not old John Connor, but rather, modern day John Connor that was thrown forwards at the start of the rebellion. It would have been a neat way to gently caress with the timeline.

Unfortunately right when that show was it's most critical moment and could have saved itself ratings wise, it went into this boring Goddamn arc about Sarah Connor before going back to being amazing. It's kind of funny because for the longest time I blamed the lead actress, but I think her character was the most poorly handled given she sure as hell has had the best post-show career.

It's a real shame too because that show really just found it's footing. It had a lovely start but got so drat good for a while, before a dip and then an exit firing on all cylinders.

One thing I loved about that show was how willing it sometimes was to make brave choices. Killing Enrique, Showing some of the heroes to be cold blooded killers, killing main and side characters in pretty surprising and brutal ways. (Both likeable and unlikable.) It often felt very true to the spirit of the original films. The future war scenes fit in with the original films better than Terminator Salvation. I always thought that Lena Heady made a good shake at being Sarah Connor. They are some tough shoes to fill.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
movie rules and the director's cut is even better. it makes the whole freezing/melting thing make storytelling sense and have a payoff instead of being just badass (although it was badass) and gives some context for the terminator learning slang and compassion and poo poo. my favorite part of this movie is the whole movie, it is so drat good.

FuriousGeorge posted:

thanks to T2 i don't trust Dyson vacuums.

joe morton will always be the brother from another planet to me and i love him no matter how grumpy he is.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Awesome T2 tidbit:

You remember the bit where Arnie and the T1000 fight for the first time? The T1000 throws Arnies thru a window and a man stands shocked snapping off photos?

The reason he is shocked is not that he's just seen a man burst thru a window, it's because he recognises Arnie from a previous encounter. He is the young cop from Terminator 1 that Arnie steals the cruiser from after bashing his head against the back window. The role is deliberate and played by a member of the production crew.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Still the best action movie of all time.

Robert Patrick modeled his movements off of sharks and poo poo so that there would be zero wasted movement. Dude's tilted-down look was creepy as gently caress. His brother is also former a former live NIN guitarist and singer for the band Filter, which is cool too.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I with people who think T1 is better than T2, but only slightly. T2 may still be the best action movie ever made, but Terminator is a tighter film and Arnie as the cold ruthless killer was better than Arnie as a bodyguard babysitter.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Terminator 2 and Aliens are two of my favourite movies, ever (

This is why Avatar was fairly disappointing to me. C'mon Cameron, you can do better

By this logic avatar 2 is gonna tear the roof off

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

bitchtard posted:

By this logic avatar 2 is gonna tear the roof off

The guy in the mech wielding the giant oversized mech-knife is going to be the good guy this time.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

He gets taught the power of love and respect for nature by 3 blue children.

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

I with people who think T1 is better than T2, but only slightly. T2 may still be the best action movie ever made, but Terminator is a tighter film and Arnie as the cold ruthless killer was better than Arnie as a bodyguard babysitter.

Agreed.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
did anyone itt mention that its dumb to compare two movies from completely different genres that happen to be part of the same franchise?

bc T1/Alien are sci fi horror and T2/Aliens are action movies

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
how did they gently caress up everything in those franchises so badly after the first two movies

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Synonamess Botch posted:

movie rules and the director's cut is even better. it makes the whole freezing/melting thing make storytelling sense and have a payoff instead of being just badass (although it was badass) and gives some context for the terminator learning slang and compassion and poo poo. my favorite part of this movie is the whole movie, it is so drat good.

yeah that stuff improves the movie a lot imo. t-1000 goes from being completely invincible, with bullets only temporarily slowing him down, to actually taking some lasting damage in the directors cut.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

oldpainless posted:

If you don't feel some sort of sorrow at this point in the movie just kill yourselfself-terminate.

Came for thumbsup.gif. Leaving satisfied.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

WILL DU LEBST, KOMM MIT.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Parallax Scroll posted:

yeah that stuff improves the movie a lot imo. t-1000 goes from being completely invincible, with bullets only temporarily slowing him down, to actually taking some lasting damage in the directors cut.

i agree. i also like the 2 second shot where they show the t-1000 can fly a helicopter and shoot a smg at the same time because he sprouted a hand from his dick.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lonos Oboe posted:

One thing I loved about that show was how willing it sometimes was to make brave choices. Killing Enrique, Showing some of the heroes to be cold blooded killers, killing main and side characters in pretty surprising and brutal ways. (Both likeable and unlikable.) It often felt very true to the spirit of the original films. The future war scenes fit in with the original films better than Terminator Salvation. I always thought that Lena Heady made a good shake at being Sarah Connor. They are some tough shoes to fill.

It really got awesome at doing it's own thing.

The two best characters in the show for me ironically were Derek Reese, a character I hated the very concept of and thought would be a terrible misstep to tie it to the films but totally won me over (and had one hell of an exit), and Cromartie/Henry. Which is made all the more amusing because in the first few episodes he was really bad, but then the arc the second actor went on with him was great. I could have watched a show almost entirely about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Terminator 2 is awesome

Terminator 1 is also awesome, but it's an entirely different kind of movie and I can see how you could like one and hate the other (but you'd be wrong 'cause they both own bones)

also Arnie is great
there I said it
he might not be a 'good' actor but goddamn does he have heart

• Locked thread