Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Gnome 3 classic mode is p good. It's like gnome 2 but you can't customize the panels which I never did anyways :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
cool opinions from the 1990s

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
gnome 3 is the best desktop environment in the world!!

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
linux is for servers and poo poo lol if youre a goddamn nerd human being using it as a desktop

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

posting this from gentoo using systemd and gnome 3.12

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it even got hidpi/retina working, running gnome 3 with 3200x1800 on a lenovo yoga 2 pro

it owns bones

gnome is the only wm that works with hidpi

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Tankakern posted:

it even got hidpi/retina working, running gnome 3 with 3200x1800 on a lenovo yoga 2 pro

it owns bones

gnome is the only wm that works with hidpi

Yeah I bet Fagatron

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wow rude.

Please be nice in the Linux thread, tia

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bad Linuxen :
Gentoo
Arch
Slack wares

"good" Linux:
Fedora
Debian
Ubanto
RHEL/CentOS for servers

OSX: not an Linux or an Unix

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
use FreeBSD

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That is a close to being correct. Only problem is that Ubuntu is a Bad Linux.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

colbylol posted:

Yeah I bet Fagatron
im working on a new linux for fags i call it fagOS

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

spankmeister posted:

OSX: not an Unix

wrong unless you're running yosemite i guess

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

the only important difference between linuxes is the package manager and arch has the best one

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
i once tried to install arch linux from a network cd (or whatever they're called)
it lost connection 25% of the way in and failed to grab most of the packages
i couldn't find any way to tell it to try again, so i just hit Next because obviously it would retry automatically. nope. it ran the install missing most of the packages, failed horribly, and broke my bootloader

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

kde still got some way to go

https://community.kde.org/KDE/High-dpi_issues

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

why settle for arch when you can use gentoo

people who choose arch over gentoo either have lousy computers or can't be bothered to learn portage. why choose second best?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

*grab stomach, stands up from conference table* ugh excuse me i have to go make a gentoo

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

i once tried to install arch linux from a network cd (or whatever they're called)
it lost connection 25% of the way in and failed to grab most of the packages
i couldn't find any way to tell it to try again, so i just hit Next because obviously it would retry automatically. nope. it ran the install missing most of the packages, failed horribly, and broke my bootloader
you were probably using some buggy unofficial community install script. they got rid of the official installer years ago because automatic installation isn't keeping it simple enough lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

computer toucher posted:

becuase a mac wasn't an option.

keep saying 'mac' until its brought to u

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Tankakern posted:

lollllllllll

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

sup guys just got here from 2002 and my Qt compile has just finished, what's new??

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

sup guys just got here from 2002 and my Qt compile has just finished, what's new??

ive got this hilarious link on slashdot for you to check out

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

ive got this hilarious link on slashdot for you to check out

their design is getting dated, did they update it yet?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Tankakern posted:

why settle for arch when you can use gentoo

people who choose arch over gentoo either have lousy computers or can't be bothered to learn portage. why choose second best?

why get punched in the face when you can get kicked in the balls instead!!!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

spankmeister posted:

Bad Linuxen :
Gentoo
Arch
Slack wares

"good" Linux:
Fedora
Debian
Ubanto
RHEL/CentOS for servers

Hmm but what about be os.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Also lol if you're using a linuk on the desktop for some hosed up reason and dont make the best of it by using lxde, e17, or some fuckrd up tiling wm for 1990s movie hackers

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I use Arch with a plain old Openbox window manager on my cheap piece of crap Chromebook. It exist mostly to provide me the entertainment of fixing it when something breaks. Which is all the time. It also runs Vim pretty good I guess. Pacman is a nice package manager, but I wish they weren't so stingy with the repos its hooked up to. Bring AUR completely into the regular repository and add an "-FAUR" flag or something to Pacman that makes a big blinking red block of text pop up that says "If this doesn't work (And it won't) its your fault."

I used Windows on my desktop so I can actually get some loving work done.

At work I use a massively over powered desktop PC who's only purpose is to run a terminal emulator plugged into some ancient piece of CnC software that runs massive panel saws; it has the same color scheme as YOSPOS. The terminal is running on an unpatched Windows XP instal that has a direct connection to the internet for some unnecessary reason. My bosses are fine with that.

Basically all desktop PC use is hosed up.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 1, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

enjoy getting limbs removed by stuxnet i guess

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
on third attempt to install ubuntu. actually im not sure that the ancient hard drive im using for this isnt getting crappy either

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gnome 3 has working hidpi support because they took the same lazy "eh gently caress it" approach that apple did: redefine a pixel as being 2x2 pixels unless your application opts in to "real" pixels

whereas KDE by the looks of things are actually doing poo poo properly which not surprisingly takes a little longer. having said that it also assumes that every kde developer is going to test their poo poo on hidpi displays to make sure it works properly and uh lol glwt

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Mr Dog posted:

gnome 3 has working hidpi support because they took the same lazy "eh gently caress it" approach that apple did: redefine a pixel as being 2x2 pixels unless your application opts in to "real" pixels

whereas KDE by the looks of things are actually doing poo poo properly which not surprisingly takes a little longer. having said that it also assumes that every kde developer is going to test their poo poo on hidpi displays to make sure it works properly and uh lol glwt

it doesnt matter how many pixels there are its going to look like poo poo because it's kde

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Mr Dog posted:

at least the "eh gently caress it" approach works better than it does on windows

granted, most issues i've had with high dpi on windows are the fault of app developers not giving any fucks about scaling

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

it doesnt matter how many pixels there are its going to look like poo poo because it's kde

there are real humans who argue that kde looks better than gnome lolll

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Where is your old effort thread CnP i wanna read that again

Also I have a candy cab coming.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i use cinnamon on my desktop because i am an old greybeard inside and i don't like change so i can't use gnome 3

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

spankmeister posted:

it's a deceptive/false unix

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

spankmeister posted:

i use cinnamon on my desktop because i am an old greybeard inside and i don't like change so i can't use gnome 3

change rules. change everything every day

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

spankmeister posted:

you might as well have installed windows vista

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Where is your old effort thread CnP i wanna read that again

Also I have a candy cab coming.

the only posts of mine you should be seeking out are those in the gold mined "server room sex stories" thread

• Locked thread